Home

What are these critters??

Posted By: elkaholic

What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 07:55 PM

This picture is from the early part of the 20th century. Definitely before the great depression.

I'm thinking the 2 on the ends are red fox. The next one on the left is either a coon, beaver, or bobcat. There are at least 2 least weasels.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 08:08 PM

2nd from the left is a bobcat. White spotted belly.

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
2nd from the left is a bobcat. White spotted belly.

That was my first initial guess.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 08:29 PM

I think the second third and maybe 4th on the right are bobcats also.

3,4 and 5 on the left, fishers???

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 08:33 PM

I'm not sure if we had fishers here in that timeframe. I'll go look it up...
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 08:38 PM

Red foxes, bobcats, mink, weasels, black an tan, parker double barrel, elk co. Rednecks!!!

That's my guess an I'm stickin to it!!!! laugh
Posted By: Trap Setter

I would guess 3 4 5 are two mink and a muskrat and I am guessing the 4th from the left is a small "bob"cat

Ok so they know they were extirpated in the last century. Not sure of exactly when though. The last stronghold of them is known to be in the area that this picture was taken. So it could be possible they are fisher.
Posted By: Bob

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 08:39 PM

#1 red fox, #2 open skinned bobcat, #3 #4#5 mink, #6 bobcat, #7 #8 winter weasels, #9 summer weasel, #10 #11 #12 bobcat, #13 red fox.

That’s my best guess

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/20/20 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
Red foxes, bobcats, mink, weasels, black an tan, parker double barrel, elk co. Rednecks!!!

lol

I have an old meat pole pic with my wife's grandfather in it holding an old lever action. Caliber escapes me right now. I just know ammo is not available cheap anymore. But I also have the gun in my safe. I told my son if he ever sells it I, his grandfather and great grandfather would come back and haunt him.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 12:07 AM

Any otter up that way?

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 12:22 AM

I'm not sure about back when the pic was taken. I know there's small pockets of them around here now.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by elkaholic

lol

I have an old meat pole pic with my wife's grandfather in it holding an old lever action. Caliber escapes me right now. I just know ammo is not available cheap anymore. But I also have the gun in my safe. I told my son if he ever sells it I, his grandfather and great grandfather would come back and haunt him.

Thats what I'm telling my kids
Posted By: bblwi

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 03:56 AM

To me it looks like 2 fox and about 5 cats. If the two white pelts are weasels then the 3 on the left may be martens. If the 3 on the left are fishers then the weasels back in the day were on steroids. Very easily could be an assortment of PA mountain species back about 100 years ago. I don't know what the small non white pelt near the white one is, maybe a rat.

Bryce
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 09:53 AM

cool old pic. thanks for sharing
Posted By: Hern

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 10:22 AM

2 Reds, 5 Bobcat (two kittens included), 3 Mink, 3 Weasel

BTW- Great picture with some history in the background

You forgot the dogs name
Posted By: Hern

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 10:32 AM

elkaholic, to enlarge picture- on bottom left on keyboard there is a key marked 'Ctrl',
Hold down 'Ctrl' key while scrolling up or down. This will make your pic bigger for a closer looksee on this site.
Posted By: cotton

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 11:19 AM

dead them thar critters are dead
Posted By: wr otis

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 02:04 PM

Friend of mine his father used to tree bobcats coon hunting in the fifties and sixties, probably more here in forties.

I've got a book forty-four years of the life of a hunter, might go under life of a hunter meshach browning. It's a reprint of the 1859 original version, by Appalachian background oakland MD. Talks about hunting western MD in the 1800's. I'd have to refresh my memory but I believe he was seeing and hunting cats and coyotes, along with bear and deer.

Went back and looked at the book, he mentions getting around fifty mountain lions lifetime. This would be mountains of western MD and wv and Southern PA. Been a long time since I read it, interesting stuff considering my family would have been here in that time frame also.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by elkaholic

lol

Don't worry about him selling it. After the Democrat get done with semi autos and handguns they will move on to pumps and lever guns continuing tell they are after bows, and knifes, and maybe even rocks. After all wepons of war have no place on our streets and at one time even rocks and clubs were state of the art wepons of war!!
Posted By: charles

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 02:53 PM

What do you think those pelts were worth in 1920?

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 03:08 PM

A new car??
Posted By: The hammer

Re: What are these critters?? - 10/21/20 03:33 PM

Not all of us are rednecks okay I lied yeah we are.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums