Home

Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction(Answer)

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction(Answer) - 10/21/20 12:20 PM

cool
[Linked Image]
Guess his weight?

And Price .per. pound
Posted By: obaro

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:24 PM

1750#, at 78cents a pound
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:27 PM

1475#. 95 cents

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:39 PM

wow those are two different spreads

But no.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:44 PM

Hard to tell from pics but probably 1900 lbs, probably around .80 a pound.
Posted By: rex123

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:49 PM

96 cents # 1675.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:51 PM

.87lb
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:55 PM

1875 87c did i win a tbone??

i gotta edit this after i read market report for central livetock top bull brought 85c on the 19th ... so im changing price.... im leaving weight the same.... i might be up to 50 lbs light
Posted By: KB64

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by Donnersurvivor

That thing is butterball fat and slick, so maybe 2050 lbs @ .86/lb.
Posted By: garart

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:56 PM

2250bs. @ 1.05/lb.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 12:59 PM

~1500# @ 83˘
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 01:10 PM

2250# 90cents
Posted By: pintail_drake04

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 01:16 PM

1553# @ .82

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 01:17 PM

where do you sell up there??

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by garart
2250bs. @ 1.05/lb.

Boy do I wish.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar
where do you sell up there??

Central Livestock

Another holding of Dale Heidelberg
http://www.heidelbergerllc.com/
Posted By: GRP

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:07 PM

1510 lbs. 55 cents

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:12 PM

I cheated a little NDSU says a 4 yr old bull should weigh 2200
Central Livestock had bulls at 72-90 yesterday
Figured you topped the market
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:15 PM

What do we win if we guess right.?

Going to be a lot of passes through the Golden Arches to use up that big boy !

with your dry conditions guess the prices are reduced since hay is expensive.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:23 PM

1325 @ $.83
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:24 PM

1975 @ .78
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:24 PM

That is a lot of bull!!!! smile
Posted By: 160user

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by wissmiss
That is a lot of bull!!!! smile

Par for the course here lately.
Posted By: Kevin Stake

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:27 PM

2165# .83 per pound
Posted By: whartonrattrappe

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:41 PM

1925 @ $.80
Posted By: charles

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 02:49 PM

1810 @.72
Posted By: HayDay

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 03:12 PM

I'm going with 2,050 and 85 cents. I presume you are selling so he doesn't start admiring his own daughters?

Speaking of which, what kind of calves were you getting? If bull is a crossbred himself, I'd think calves would not run true......and more so on crossbred cows? Calves being good, bad and ugly.

I'd be replacing him with a pure something not related to the cows to get at least a 3 way cross on the calves?

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 03:20 PM

Closest guess! [Linked Image]

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 03:24 PM

I've witnessed a few beef run across the scales smile

Thanks for posting, fun little game this morning while I wait for the Vet to get out here and look at a horse.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 03:30 PM

I was Satisfied! He had to go ...his daughters were of age! & I have a replacement already ran with the Young of last year.

I sure Wish he had paid what some of the guesses were!

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
I was Satisfied! He had to go ...his daughters were of age! & I have a replacement already ran with the Young of last year.

I thought I may be a bit light but it didn't look like he had alot of length, that is were photos make it difficult.

Dang vet is really running late today...
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 03:44 PM

Did someone buy that as a breeder or will it go to McDonalds? Or is it too good for McDonalds?

Don't know much about this stuff just curious.
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 03:50 PM

Nice bull 330!!!

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 04:02 PM

Thanks W R R ! Bought him as a calf. Picked him up in the fall
He was 4.

Bernie...most likely Butcher bull.

I almost had him butchered into 100% ground beef. I would have made way more $ That way...but alas, I didn't. Too busy to market and sell him by the pound.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 04:04 PM

He was 4.

I almost had him butchered into 100% ground beef. I would have made way more $ That way...but alas, I didn't. Too busy to market and sell him by the pound.

If you do one in the future dont be afraid of the premium steaks, I am a big fan of bull steaks. In my opinion they have improved texture and flavor compared to some doll off the feedlot who has never walked more than a 100 yards in a day.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 04:17 PM

Ive eaten plenty of bulls,all tasty too!!!!
Posted By: 160user

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 04:19 PM

He was 4.

If you do one in the future dont be afraid of the premium steaks, I am a big fan of bull steaks. In my opinion they have improved texture and flavor compared to some doll off the feedlot who has never walked more than a 100 yards in a day.

Don't be picking on the tubby gals now.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 04:28 PM

Well I would try a bull stake first before I'd ever butcher one for table fare.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 04:40 PM

My question would be if bulls taste that good why is there such a thing as a steer?
Posted By: Osky

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
My question would be if bulls taste that good why is there such a thing as a steer?

Behavioral issues.

Osky
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:01 PM

Did someone buy that as a breeder or will it go to McDonalds? Or is it too good for McDonalds?

Way too nice for Mickey Ds or Hormel Chilly. That is a nice bull and would be Wendys or Marie Callenders pot pie material!

Scott, you did ok but next time you have one that nice and easy to handle try to sell online. It wont work for a whole pot load but sometimes if you find the right buyer who is scared of sale barn bulls he will pay a premium for one that handles quiet and looks that good
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:06 PM

The don't

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane

Way too nice for Mickey Ds or Hormel Chilly. That is a nice bull and would be Wendys or Marie Callenders pot pie material!

Scott, you did ok but next time you have one that nice and easy to handle try to sell online. It wont work for a whole pot load but sometimes if you find the right buyer who is scared of sale barn bulls he will pay a premium for one that handles quiet and looks that good

x2

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:17 PM

People want soft "tender" meat. Bull actually has some flavor. You couldn't mix bulls and heifers in a feedlot and bulls are tough to handle.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:18 PM

I would agree that bull steaks make great meat, I have eaten several bulls over the years. As butterball as that bull appears, his steaks would likely be choice. As for why make steers if bull meat is so good, a steer will gain faster than a bull, a steer can't breed the heifers in the feedlot, and a steer usually has a better temperament than a bull.

330 I have enjoyed your herd progress over the years, it sure don't seem like it has been that long ago the little baldy bull calf pics was being shared. shocked

I should add that a bull off of range is still going to be a grass fed beef and not have the flavor of one that has had some feed. A pet bull like the one 330 had that gets some grain will be every bit as good as a steer fed the same way. Feed that steer nothing but range pickings and it will taste as bad as any other beef off of grass, it is all about the diet. And yes I know some folks like grass fed beef, I personally think they need a little grain for flavor. I have butchered many pasture cows, calves, and bulls that have gone down. They make cheap burger and are edible, but a far cry from a well fed beef.
Posted By: WIHAWK76

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:41 PM

330 - Did you send him to Zumbrota? I shipped my 3yr old down there on Monday.
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:46 PM

1900 and .82
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
I would agree that bull steaks make great meat, I have eaten several bulls over the years. As butterball as that bull appears, his steaks would likely be choice. As for why make steers if bull meat is so good, a steer will gain faster than a bull, a steer can't breed the heifers in the feedlot, and a steer usually has a better temperament than a bull.

330 I have enjoyed your herd progress over the years, it sure don't seem like it has been that long ago the little baldy bull calf pics was being shared. shocked

I should add that a bull off of range is still going to be a grass fed beef and not have the flavor of one that has had some feed. A pet bull like the one 330 had that gets some grain will be every bit as good as a steer fed the same way. Feed that steer nothing but range pickings and it will taste as bad as any other beef off of grass, it is all about the diet. And yes I know some folks like grass fed beef, I personally think they need a little grain for flavor. I have butchered many pasture cows, calves, and bulls that have gone down. They make cheap burger and are edible, but a far cry from a well fed beef.

No way a steer out gains a bull or 4 yr old bull grades choice
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:57 PM

Bulls grow faster and bigger than steers, the testosterone does that, why do we think athletes are trying to use testosterone based products to increase performance and muscle mass? So why would a feed lot not want a 1,000 bulls? You would need to separate all the heifers and build the lot like a bunker as they would destroy the place and also handling would be difficult. Also consumers are used to lower muscle higher fat of the meat of today and there would be some adaptation issues to deal with from the consumer end.

Bryce

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 05:57 PM

Learned some things today. Thanks!
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 06:08 PM

1680 at 93 cents

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood

Exactly Right!!!!
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by bblwi
Bulls grow faster and bigger than steers, the testosterone does that, why do we think athletes are trying to use testosterone based products to increase performance and muscle mass? So why would a feed lot not want a 1,000 bulls? You would need to separate all the heifers and build the lot like a bunker as they would destroy the place and also handling would be difficult. Also consumers are used to lower muscle higher fat of the meat of today and there would be some adaptation issues to deal with from the consumer end.

Bryce

I shall stand corrected, that makes as much sense as what the old man used to tell me. Maybe his story was just to encourage me to get my butt out there and cut the dang things. laugh
Dad explained it as a steer will stand around and eat all day and grow like your (Dad has been gone for years, but I still don't care to get him in trouble with the word that belongs here. grin). A bull will run around the lot chasing every girl in sight and those he can smell from across the road therefore burning off feed instead of getting fat and lazy. He would also point out how big that dang steer was that used to travel around with the carnival, can't remember his name, but he was a big grey bugger with a sign saying worlds largest steer. Don't know if he was actually the worlds largest, but that thing was bigger than any bull I ever seen.
It is always a great day when you learn something new or get a new explanation as to things you thought you knew. Thank you
Posted By: run

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 07:14 PM

I agree with Bryce. But I have this to add to the conversation, 330trapper should have taken the bull to the butcher. I know that it's a pain in the butt right now, but I think he would have made a bit more money. Nice bull by the way.
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 08:23 PM

Butcher him and send a lb to each trapperman member for $5/lb laugh
Posted By: MJM

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 08:55 PM

I have ate bull burger and can say it does not taste like a heifer or steer. If you like bull you should try boar hog, tom cat or billy goat. It all has the same flavor and smell. There are plenty of bulls that end up slottered, but I bet ver few are cut into steak or roasts. From what I have seen if you trim the bull real lean and add steer or heifer fat to bull it helps mellow it out. When you can smell its bull frying to me its not a good sign. But it does have flavor.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 09:09 PM

The main use for bull meat is to make bologna. I have eaten bull and boar. You can smell it before you taste it. I have seen bulls put their heads underneath bunk feeders and lift sections right out of the concrete. You don't need to mess with that.

Bryce
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 09:19 PM

I missed the guess by 85 Lbs. and .02 = $17. Close, but someone is always closer or faster.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 10:18 PM

Live action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20cU69drY3w

https://www.outbackmag.com.au/the-bull-catchers/
Posted By: forestman3

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 11:22 PM

My question is if you would of put him into hamburg,How much meat would you get out of that bull?Once you get rid of the head,hide, guts and bones.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 11:30 PM

who was closest??? i was off 15 lbs....... and nickel on price.... i bet he was full when he walked through the ring..............nice bull and hed be good eatin he hasnt been out breeding hard... half dozen
i too have enjoyed youre growing a herd..... day in day out black baldies are the best ...
you have really nice animals 330.. something to be proud of !!
next time feed him hard 45 days on corn and advertise him right here on trapperman..... that is a awsome beef.... will yield over 60% and feed alotta people

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/21/20 11:52 PM

by my math he would yield about 1,100 pounds of burger, possibly a bit more. 1,100 pounds of burger for $1,500 bucks if you DIY that big fellow, not a bad pay day and you know were the meat came from.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 12:03 AM

by my math he would yield about 1,100 pounds of burger, possibly a bit more. 1,100 pounds of burger for $1,500 bucks if you DIY that big fellow, not a bad pay day and you know were the meat came from.

and good tasty burger to boot..... grin
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 12:07 AM

It would be closer to 700 lbs, and it would be dry and not what most people like without some good fat added. There’s a reason they’re called bologna bulls. Thats what they’re best for.

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar
who was closest??? i was off 15 lbs....... and nickel on price.... i bet he was full when he walked through the ring..............nice bull and hed be good eatin he hasnt been out breeding hard... half dozen
i too have enjoyed youre growing a herd..... day in day out black baldies are the best ...
you have really nice animals 330.. something to be proud of !!
next time feed him hard 45 days on corn and advertise him right here on trapperman..... that is a awsome beef.... will yield over 60% and feed alotta people

Thanks Hidropillar! I appreciate that!

After my Stroke in o6' I sold my first Herd. And all my farming stuff. Lost a good 185 Allis.
But 5 years ago or so my Wifey saw an Auction add that had Black baldy heifers. We went and bought Two bred animals. We now have 10 head Today's count.

We are going to hold at 8 Cows after next year and see how I do, the pastures do etc. I buy my Hay so calves and or meat animals have to pay for themselves.

I tried Selling this bull for two weeks and had One bite for 1,3o
00 But the guy said He pays with checks, and I wanted cash or Money order. So the deal thank God fell through .
I had/have a lot to get done before real snows on my farm so I took him to Rock creek Auction...It was fun!

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 02:13 AM

[Linked Image]
Here's a photo of Him as a 2016 Calf

Mom was a Big Black whiteface....his Dad was a massive Red Angus

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis

It would be closer to 700 lbs, and it would be dry and not what most people like without some good fat added. There’s a reason they’re called bologna bulls. Thats what they’re best for.

I'll submit that you probably are correct on the yield but I will not concede they are not good tasting animals! Grew up eating so much game and cull cows that I somehow acquired a taste for it, i'm a big fan of bull meat.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 02:31 AM

1762 @ .85
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 02:34 AM

Dang didn't know it was over lol

Re: Sold our 4yr old Bull at Auction - 10/22/20 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by JOCO1995
Dang didn't know it was over lol

grin

Yes!