Home

What's the best

Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

What's the best - 10/21/20 02:02 PM

Way to get rid of the hornets and preserve the nest. Have found one while looking at trapping locations and doesn't appear to be torn up yet by the birds. Just don't want a bunch of hornets hatching out in my heated trap shack.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 02:15 PM

spray a bag full of hornet killer and wrap the bag around it. Tie it off.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 02:16 PM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Killing_jar#:~:text=The%20most%20common%20killing%20agents,and%20is%20very%20widely%20used.

if you want perfect preservation kill jar
Posted By: camlock

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 02:22 PM

Several years ago I shot a big nest out of a tree with a 22. I think it was around December because I was out trapping. I am sure that it had been in the freezing temperatures outside for several days and nights. I put the nest in the back of my truck. It hat a topper on it.
After a few days I tied it up in my garage. Nothing ever came out of the nest. I do remember seeing birds fly into my garage to check out the nest when the overhead door was open,
Posted By: charles

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 02:56 PM

I was guessing your story was going to have a very active ending.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by charles
I was guessing your story was going to have a very active ending.

I was too Camlock
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 05:08 PM

12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot lead.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by MySide 🦝
12 gauge with 7 1/2 shot lead.

Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 05:35 PM

Well I just went to get it cut down from the willow patch it was hanging in. Walked right up to it and when the hornets started coming out of it, l couldn't get back to my truck quick enough. I think they was murder hornets!! A little tip, them devils are still plenty active when it's 47 degrees out. Have to go to plan B when I figure out what that is.
Posted By: Drifter

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 05:51 PM

They will fly to the light source if try it at night.
Posted By: John04

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 05:54 PM

Take a can of ether (starting fluid) and spray em down in early morning when they are all at the nest, will kill them almost instantly
Posted By: cmcf

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 06:00 PM

Get a shake shingle whittle a handle on the THICK END. Drill a bunch of 1/8” holes in the thin end.
Bump the nest and get ready for some fast action badminton. Works good for ground dwelling yellow jackets too.
I’ve got a lot more for when store bought toys get boring wink Most of them are usually survivable grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 07:13 PM

Wait until winter cold weather. They all die except the fertilized queen who leaves the nest and hibernates in the ground until spring.
Posted By: camlock

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 07:50 PM

Rubee, I guess that is why I never had one hornet come out of that nest. I had been freezing nights for several weeks. They had left.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 08:09 PM

CMCF Its useful tips like these that I value so much on this site and that will help me in the transition from a salty dog to a land lubber. I'll write it down for future reference. Is there a set number of holes or just " a bunch " ?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: What's the best - 10/21/20 08:11 PM

I had one on my garage I sprayed it with wasp and hornet killer within a few days there was no more activity. I assume it would be plenty safe to cut down after that. It really dosen't shoot 20 feet unless it had a 50mp tail wind. I had one can in each hand and a 3rd in reserve .

I wasn't interested in keeping it just concerned my boys would get to close, hit it with a ball or shoot it with sksling shots or something like that.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums