Home

snare guys?

Posted By: trapperroscoe

snare guys? - 10/21/20 04:57 PM

This year Minnesota passed a law requiring break away devices on snares. i have 30 something snares but can no longer use any of them. I am placing a order at Minnesota trapline, they seem to only have one break away snare available and it is a small washer lock. is this lock aggressive enough to kill a coyote?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: snare guys? - 10/21/20 05:00 PM

Just have to be better on your engagement. I'd look elsewhere for your snares. Or just buy breakaways and retrofit your current snares
Posted By: cmcf

Re: snare guys? - 10/21/20 05:05 PM

Snip the existing stop off and crimp on an amberg BAD ferrule rated at 285lb
Posted By: trapperroscoe

Re: snare guys? - 10/21/20 05:12 PM

thank you all for the help i found one of their site i missed it the first time i looked it over
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: snare guys? - 10/21/20 07:21 PM

I have a couple or three hundred release ferrules for 3/32" cable and I thought about offering to rework guys snares from MN, (add the BAD & load them properly if needed). You think anyone would be interested in such a thing at like $5 a dozen plus shipping (speedee is cheap and fast). ?????
Posted By: walleye101

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 02:36 AM

So how do release ferrules work? Wouldn't the amount of crimping pressure affect the release poundage more than the ferrule itself? Just trying to understand the process.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 03:11 AM

Release ferrules have a special tool that is needed to install them properly.Been using them for years on cable restraints I sell.
Tom
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 03:21 AM

the snareshop has many more choices with BADs and many state specific snares, so does Newt at snareone, PLUS Newt will make any snare to your spec.
Don't you already have their catalogs on your desk?
Google is your friend.

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 03:30 AM

Snareshop release ferrules require a specific tool to install them.Amberg release ferrules also requires a special tool to install them.
I have used both these over the years.
Tom
Posted By: MJM

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 10:53 AM

From testing I have seen done, the release ferrules are very inconsistent. If you stand a bunch of the release ferrules up on end you can often see that the holes are not centered. Any time anything is inconsistent it can and will affect the outcome of the release. If I can see it with my eyes, its off a fair amount. The special tool to put the release ferrules on is a pair of pliers with a hole in them, like a mini ferrule crimper. The different companies have different size releases so the crimper does not work for anyone but there ferrule. I am sure if you were to measure the "special tool" you would find that they are as non consistent as the release ferrules. Which would also change the out come. The cable will vary in diameter also. J and S hooks are much more consistent. Anytime you change to a different brand lock it can often change the release of the BAD. Although it is a great idea, there are a lot of variables involved that most people don't think about or care about. Their main concern is that it is a legal snare. I would think Rally would be up to speed on what you need to be compliant in MN.
Posted By: Newt

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 11:25 AM

As sayed before.
The differance of cable size Chinese to GOOD Korean cable ,yes there is junk korean cable on the market.Will change the poundage of a BAD no mater which one you use.
All BADS poundage changes with different locks.
Also how the snare is made will change the poundage of a BAD.
There is NO way to say at what poundage a BAD will release.Unless you test your own snares.
Then is your testing done the same as your states lab ?
Does your state EVER have a lab ?

Do i use a BAD. Yes when I may snare ADC around a Cow or Moose. But not on my Fur line.
Deer ? The deer stop will work most of the time. Nothing is 100%.
A neck cought deer will not release a BAD that will hold a Coyote.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 11:59 AM

As I figured, there seems to be alot of hocus pocus involved in the BAD concept, but apparently it will make someone in our state agency feel better about the use of snares.

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 12:21 PM

Newt, Rally visited me a couple of weeks ago,so I have that Good Korean cable. Its so nice working with good cable.
Years ago I ended up with some Chinese cable,can't even remember where I got it---what a nightmare.It had more twists and turns than a chorus line of dancers.
Tom
Posted By: The Beav

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 12:39 PM

Set your snares In entanglement and you won't have to worry about the BAD or the type of lock.

Never trust crush on BADs get your snares set up with J hook type BADs.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 03:03 PM

I have used both Amberg and Snare Shop release ferrules for many years with great success.I have never lost a coyote and every foot caught deer released itself.There were no neck catches.I even had a neck caught lion pop the release ferrule.I have used 285#,300# and 350# and all worked just as they were designed to do.I have the Snare Shop release ferrule with their ferrules and have been very happy with that system.

I have to say,I have yet to use release ferrules on 1x19 cable.Remember,in any given size cable,1x19 cable takes a longer release ferrule due to the slick nature of the cable and most times takes two crimps vs one crimp with the 7x7.I will probably test the 1x19 this year.
Posted By: Newt

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 04:32 PM

Never trust crush on BADs get your snares set up with J hook type BADs.[/quote]

You need someone who knows how to put them on Beav.

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 06:31 PM

Well I guess that was my problem. All my CRs now have J hook BADs on them. No more walking up to a coyote and have It run away while your standing there.

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 09:53 PM

Gary,I have been making cable restraints since they became law in Wisconsin.Parts of Ontario,Canada did not allow snaring.The Ontario Ministry of Natrural resources had me build 40 dozen cable restraints for their testing. The results ended in cable restraints be legalized for use in Ontario.
Since I started making cable restraints,I have used the break away ferrules--and not once have I had a customer complaint of the breakaway ferrules not working properly.
So I do not hesitate to use them on cable restraints or snares that require a break away device.
Here again ,whatever works for you--go with it. If we agreed on everything,think how boring life would be.
Tom

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 10:07 PM

Tom were you building those CRs out of 1X19X3/32 ?

Well not all CR builders can say that. My trapping partner and I lost 12 coyotes last year to BADs not doing their job.
I asked why I had all those failures. I was told just crush them down some more or use a little lock tite.

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 10:20 PM

Gary, I use 7x7x3/32 and the release ferrules I use are made for that size cable.
Tom
Posted By: MJM

Re: snare guys? - 10/22/20 10:24 PM

From what I have seen most people who make snares take the word of who ever they get the components from on BADs. They have never had them tested and have no clue where they release. Depending on the other components used, it can make a BAD react different then what it is advertised to do. Most people selling components are the same as the guy selling snares he made. They have never test any thing, they are just coloring in the square. I have seen BADs that the seller claimed to break at 300 to 325 lbs break over 600 lbs. It was a very well known and thought of supplier. At this point there is no industry standard for testing BADS. Depending on how they are tested can change the results also. On everything I saw tested the J and S hooks were way more consistent than the crimp on ferrules if everything else remains the same. .

Re: snare guys? - 10/23/20 01:58 AM

Well tom when you can't use entanglement you get lots of chew outs with 7x7. So I went with 1X19 and never had another chew out. But I'm told you can't use the same BAD that you use on 7X7 on 1X19 and that was what was being used.

No doubt when using a J hook BAD.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: snare guys? - 10/23/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by The Beav
Well tom when you can't use entanglement you get lots of chew outs with 7x7. So I went with 1X19 and never had another chew out. But I'm told you can't use the same BAD that you use on 7X7 on 1X19 and that was what was being used.

No doubt when using a J hook BAD.

I still can't believe you kept using those CRs without fixing the problem. I think you were just trying to see how many you could lose so you could come here and bad-mouth them. Most anyone would of fixed the cr's after 3-4 losses at the most. Obviously the crimp on are not designed for 1x19 cable so of course you have to fix them or trade them out. None of which has anything to do with snares in Mn. I highly doubt there are 2 or 3% of all the snaremen in Mn using 1x19 3/32" cable.

Re: snare guys? - 10/23/20 04:02 AM

I fixed the problem. I'm just warning those who may go that way.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums