Home

Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time

Posted By: Gary Benson

Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 02:19 AM

https://www.themeateater.com/conser...85RSxdImGWuiBc0hp2n2A0zz_uhgyU1fTYiPVJl8

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 02:20 AM

If someone smarter than me can open this and make it readable, have at it!!
Posted By: white17

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 02:27 AM

Kristen Schmitt
Oct 19, 2020

An anonymous tip that turned into a 5-year investigation is nearly over for Nebraska wildlife officials. In what’s being called the biggest poaching case in state history, investigators have linked over 100 people from 21 states to the illegal take of big game animals and transporting them across state lines, including prominent citizens and a television personality.

The case is centered around Hidden Hills Outfitters near Broken Bow, Nebraska. According to the Omaha World-Herald, clients paid the outfitter $2,500 to $7,000 for a chance at big game trophies and utilized illegal tactics, like baiting and spotlighting. Rifles were used during archery season—often with suppressors to cover the noise—and animals were shot from the side of the road. Some participants didn’t even have legal hunting permits.

To date, 30 people have pleaded guilty and ordered to pay a collective total of $570,453 in fines and restitution. Together, all have lost their hunting and fishing privileges for 53 years, the World-Herald reports. Others are awaiting sentencing, so these numbers will only increase.

Jacob Hueftle, co-owner and chief operator of Hidden Hills Outfitters, was sentenced to 30 months in federal prison and ordered to pay $214,375 in restitution to the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission. He will not be allowed to hunt, trap, or “engage in any related business” for 15 years after his release as part of the plea agreement.

The investigation was a joint effort by Nebraska Game and Parks officers and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Together, they uncovered a minimum of 97 animals that were transported over state lines, including 34 mule deer, 30 whitetail deer, 27 turkeys, and six antelope.

“It’s outstanding that they finally put some teeth in these violations and sentenced someone to something meaningful, rather than a fine,” said Tom Lanz, a lifelong hunter and active member in Nebraska hunting organizations. “We manage wildlife for the benefit of everybody. That wildlife has a value to society. When they steal that, they steal from all of us. It’s just offensive.”

During the investigation, it was discovered that multiple hunters shot migratory nongame birds—including hawks and falcons—for target practice. The Hidden Hills’ plea agreement says “’J.H.’ personally killed at least 100 nongame birds.” Hueftle and Hidden Hills Outfitters were charged with violating the Lacey Act and the Migratory Bird Act.

One of the key clients of Hidden Hills was TV hunting personality Rod Owen. Owen has been featured in Field & Stream and on the Outdoor Channel, and was a cast member of Drury Outdoors. Investigators discovered that several of Owen’s animals were illegally baited into range and two were killed with a rifle (after supposedly being killed legally by bow). For his participation in the case, he has been ordered to pay $50,000 in fines and restitution. Drury Outdoors has severed ties with Owen.

While sentencing is still ongoing, the fact that investigators were able to link so many to the crimes and punish accordingly may send the message to others who are tempted to poach big game animals in the future. Regardless, Nebraska hunters are advocating for harsher penalties and steeper fines to those convicted of poaching animals within the state.

“The ethical hunters of this state want things like this stopped and stopped for good,” said longtime hunter and hunting advocate Janice Spicha. “If you knowingly participate in illegal hunting activities, then you shouldn’t be able to hunt again. Ever.”

Good riddance !!

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 02:30 AM

Thanks Ken! Unfortunately those animals came from private property, and no restitution to the landowners.......... the state gets all the $$$$$.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
If someone smarter than me can open this and make it readable, have at it!!

Link works fine for me.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 02:35 AM

Good
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 03:52 PM

Ouch.
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 04:03 PM

I never understood the penalty of taking away the poachers hunting rights. By definition a poacher dose not obay the laws so that likely to have little effect.

For a case this strong that had at least one informant that rolled probably several to save their own skin.
Posted By: Dirt

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 04:07 PM

Probably a bunch of those meat hunters. smile
Posted By: TC1

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 04:08 PM

I'm sorry Gary I'm not following your angle. Were the animals poached from a high fence private reserve? If not, they are free roaming animals and owned by no one. They may spend time on a property, but at any time it may decide to leave and anyone with permission on private or in the right place on public may harvest it with appropriate tags and while in season.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 04:52 PM

No high fences around here. There is a wetlands in the area but not ideal deer habitat. Owned by no one? The state claims ownership of all wildlife even if on private land..The state stocked elk around here on private land. They go wherever they want and do tens of thousands worth of crop damage, yet the farmer isn't allowed to protect his crops and the state says "oh well, deal with it."
The farmer gets an occasional landowner permit. And has to pay for it, of course. Just a sore spot for me. The State owns all the wildlife yet the private landowner feeds them and provides the shelter.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 04:57 PM

No high fences around here. There is a wetlands in the area but not ideal deer habitat. Owned by no one? The state claims ownership of all wildlife even if on private land..The state stocked elk around here on private land. They go wherever they want and do tens of thousands worth of crop damage, yet the farmer isn't allowed to protect his crops and the state says "oh well, deal with it."
The farmer gets an occasional landowner permit. And has to pay for it, of course. Just a sore spot for me. The State owns all the wildlife yet the private landowner feeds them and provides the shelter.

The it's the kings game for sure.
Don't forget that when they run in the road and scrap your truck the state no longer claims ownership. But if my cow gets out and into the road I am 100% liable.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jabNE
Good

+1 !
Slobs!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 05:28 PM

15 to 20 Years behind bars would be better
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 06:19 PM

They mention a story featured in Field & Stream, which I wrote, which included Rod Owen. I had no idea. I did several magazine and online articles on him because he was killing so many B&C bucks, including two in one year, one of which was with that outfitter. Pretty sickening. The same thing happened to me with another guy in Illinois a few years ago. Some of these people can sure lie with a straight face. There's not that much money in this; I don't really understand what the motivation is for the hunters who will hire a crooked outfitter and do things illegal with them.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 06:30 PM

This is a contentious thing for me too. I understand where you are coming from.

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
[quote=Gary Benson]No high fences around here. There is a wetlands in the area but not ideal deer habitat. Owned by no one? The state claims ownership of all wildlife even if on private land..The state stocked elk around here on private land. They go wherever they want and do tens of thousands worth of crop damage, yet the farmer isn't allowed to protect his crops and the state says "oh well, deal with it."

Posted By: Ole

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 06:34 PM

Motivation? Testosterone laden bragging rights.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ole
Motivation? Testosterone laden bragging rights.
and fame.

Genau

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 06:48 PM

Don't forget that when they run in the road and scrap your truck the state no longer claims ownership. But if my cow gets out and into the road I am 100% liable.

Absolutely!

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
They mention a story featured in Field & Stream, which I wrote, which included Rod Owen. I had no idea. I did several magazine and online articles on him because he was killing so many B&C bucks, including two in one year, one of which was with that outfitter. Pretty sickening. The same thing happened to me with another guy in Illinois a few years ago. Some of these people can sure lie with a straight face. There's not that much money in this; I don't really understand what the motivation is for the hunters who will hire a crooked outfitter and do things illegal with them.

Apparently it's all about that picture! On the cover of the Rolling Stones!!!
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 06:56 PM

State holds the animals in trust for the Public. You can't own the animal until you reduce it to possession.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 07:04 PM

Quiet country out that way. I suppose they figured no one would be the wiser. Not.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 07:22 PM

You got that right, about 50,000 car deer accident's in Michigan every year.
Posted By: Green Bay

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/22/20 11:17 PM

Poachers are thieves. The pursuit of big racks has led a lot of "outdoorsmen" into breaking a lot of rules. Unfortunately, the deer they took could have been the trophy of a life time for an average hunter.

Lock them up, take away their weapons and vehicles.

Brian

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 11:03 AM

Yep, 45 years ago I recall a fella getting his guns and pickup confiscated for pheasant and quail violations. Today it's probably deemed cruel and unusual punishment.
Posted By: Northmocats

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 11:46 AM

Good point Gary. The farmers feed the deer , but the state owns them. Well until one runs into the Road and smacks your car or causes death.. Then its a Free range animal. Just like Missouri they want to make money off them , but take no responsibility.. Conservation should pay Insurance Deductibles for deer collisions if they wanna Own them. Just like a Farmer is responsible for his cows in the Road.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 11:52 AM

Who, in their right mind, can feel any sense of accomplishment or pride in jacking a big game animal on the side of a highway.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 11:57 AM

Good question Crit.....but guys pay big bucks (sorry) for a trophy mount that they never even saw alive.....to hang in their office in the city. People are a strange animal.
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 12:33 PM

WE Had a local farmer get busted for killing deer for the rack market.
He would shoot these deer from the combine at night. Then hang them In the barn and call the guy with the money. They never even used the meat just cut off the head for a mount.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 01:29 PM

Yep, 45 years ago I recall a fella getting his guns and pickup confiscated for pheasant and quail violations. Today it's probably deemed cruel and unusual punishment.

States routinely take away everything that can be linked to the crime. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/enforcement/auctions/index.html

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Northmocats
Good point Gary. The farmers feed the deer , but the state owns them. Well until one runs into the Road and smacks your car or causes death.. Then its a Free range animal. Just like Missouri they want to make money off them , but take no responsibility.. Conservation should pay Insurance Deductibles for deer collisions if they wanna Own them. Just like a Farmer is responsible for his cows in the Road.

The state does not own the deer, the deer belong to the people. The states are tasked with management only.
Posted By: nate

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 01:37 PM

Farmer's get enough substitutes. Cry cry cry they have it ruff there bailed out by State and federal governments all the time and were forced to use the gas on over produced grain. How bout forcing people to wear fur how well would that go.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Northmocats

The state does not own the deer, the deer belong to the people. The states are tasked with management only.

Right on Bernie!
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 02:06 PM

When you violate for profit they need to throw the book at all parties. They need to shut this outfitter down. JMO

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by nate
Farmer's get enough substitutes. Cry cry cry they have it ruff there bailed out by State and federal governments all the time and were forced to use the gas on over produced grain. How bout forcing people to wear fur how well would that go.

Kind of small minded lumping all farmers together. I can assure you I have never had a subsidized dollar. That's only for the big farmers not the small guys. We have to jump through all the regulatory hoops and navigate the government bs just to try to sell a product legally. The big farms that ge t subsidies have accounts and lawyers for that.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Who, in their right mind, can feel any sense of accomplishment or pride in jacking a big game animal on the side of a highway.

Are trophy hunters right in the head? Seems like an obsession. The story of how they got their trophy will be different and their pride will be derived from others admiration and envy.

I have seen this movie.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 02:43 PM

Substitutes??? Poor wording and horrible grammar.
Farmers have to acquire land, machinery, insurance, seed, fertilizer, herbicides, insecticides, and then gamble with mother nature to raise a crop. If the Govt is going to take control of the overseas grain market, they can darn well subsidize lousy grain prices while they support illegals from other countries.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 02:51 PM

Substitutes??? Poor wording and horrible grammar.
Farmers have to acquire land, machinery, insurance, seed, fertilizer, herbicides, insecticides, and then gamble with mother nature to raise a crop. If the Govt is going to take control of the overseas grain market, they can darn well subsidize lousy grain prices while they support illegals from other countries.

I will ad to this. Don't subsides the farms and they quit farming becuse of low to no profit from foreign markets with unlimited restrictions and cheap labor.( also often subsidized by their government.

How do you like all the medical suplys being made in chinia?
How would you like all your food production to be in a foreign country as well?

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 03:02 PM

It's more enjoyable going through life not playing silly games. It's always easier to blame the "other guy" for our faults.
Easier to blame my wife.
Easier to blame my kids.
Easier to blame my work.
Easier to blame my church.
Easier to blame the president....

The more layers I have to blame.
The better I look grin

Nah. I missed the coyote cause I screwed up.
I snarled at my Mrs. cause I got impatient again.
It's ain't Trump's fault.

It's almost always me again.
It's more enjoyable to laugh about stupid old me everyday and roll with it...
than carry a big old basket full of everything and everyone else to blame.

I just reset the trap and roll.

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
It's more enjoyable going through life not playing silly games. It's always easier to blame the "other guy" for our faults.
Easier to blame my wife.
Easier to blame my kids.
Easier to blame my work.

The better I look grin

Blessings,
Mark

But did you hunt and harvest your own trophy big game aminal?? smile

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 04:34 PM

Kind of small minded lumping all farmers together. I can assure you I have never had a subsidized dollar. That's only for the big farmers not the small guys. We have to jump through all the regulatory hoops and navigate the government bs just to try to sell a product legally. The big farms that ge t subsidies have accounts and lawyers for that.

Yes I'll have to agree w/ you I should not lump you all together. But there is a lot of bs out there as well.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 04:42 PM

States routinely take away everything that can be linked to the crime. https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/enforcement/auctions/index.html

So true and such an important distinction! I can't be believe the number of outdoorsman who think that the wildlife belongs to either the state or that it belongs to nobody. The truth is that the game and fish belong to all the people of a state and it is held in trust by the state for the people. Same way with rivers and navigable waterways. It is the responsibility of the state to manage and protect these valuable resources that belong to "we the people".

This is the very opposite of the "king's deer" and an important American distinction and ideal.

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Easier to blame my wife.
Easier to blame my kids.
Easier to blame my work.

The better I look grin

Blessings,
Mark

But did you hunt and harvest your own trophy big game aminal?? smile

I always think of the venison or elk or moose we shoot sitting in all the gravy with the spuds and onions so horns have never held as much charm for us.
We come from a long line of Anglo hunter gatherers. We eat animals. 1000 generations ago mastodons. Today quesadillas.

laugh

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 07:27 PM

At least quesadillas are easy to sneak up on. laugh

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/23/20 07:41 PM

Viva la nachos!!!!
Get 'em boys.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Nebraska outfitter BUSTED big time - 10/24/20 03:58 AM

I'm not impressed with the story. LEOs allowed outfitter to continue over five years. New clients and what, dozens of animals killed? Wildlife enforcement entities are like PR firms. Looking for the big story! Apparently could have busted this outfitter years before. So what if charges are just misdemeanour. Stop the bad guy and get a few clients. That's enough of a message to the other potential violators.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums