Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake

Posted By: 330-Trapper

Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 03:45 AM

Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 03:54 AM

Very cool !!
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 04:05 AM

Yep I bet on the cat before I watched the video . Cats are just plain fast.
Posted By: crosspatch

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 09:03 AM

Very impressed with that cat. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 09:16 AM

so cool smile
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 11:16 AM

Very interesting. Seems to be pretty proud of it’s accomplishment. Thanks
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 11:19 AM

Twice in south Texas I have pulled up to a set, had a bobcat in a leg hold, and had a 6 foot rattler right next to it trying to figure out how to "get this thing."
Both rattlers became Lakota Sioux Indian custom knife sheaths grin.
They were both so intent on the bobbie they were easy to harvest.

Nature is awesome!
Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: EdP

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 11:24 AM

Wow. It looked to me like the bobcat knew exactly what it was doing and wasn't the first time it had taken a rattler. Looked like it had been taught.
Posted By: slowpoke

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 11:36 AM

Now that's a cool video, you don't see that very often .
That cat is fast ...
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 11:36 AM

i saw this on Facebook a few weeks ago, amazing video.

i have a buddy that is fairly knowledgeable that thinks it is a lynx because of the long ear tufts.

IDK if it's a bobcat or a lynx. The video is from southern California. Which specie is native there?
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 11:45 AM

That was cool to watch thanks for posting

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Twice in south Texas I have pulled up to a set, had a bobcat in a leg hold, and had a 6 foot rattler right next to it trying to figure out how to "get this thing."
Both rattlers became Lakota Sioux Indian custom knife sheaths grin.
They were both so intent on the bobbie they were easy to harvest.

Nature is awesome!
Blessings,
Mark

Thats Very Cool!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 12:38 PM

How these snakes thought they were gonna swallow a 16-18 lb cat (both times females) is a mystery, but I figured they must give it some thought.
The first time I saw it, I thought was a fluke, but the second time made me go hmmm.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
i saw this on Facebook a few weeks ago, amazing video.

i have a buddy that is fairly knowledgeable that thinks it is a lynx because of the long ear tufts.

IDK if it's a bobcat or a lynx. the video is from southern California. Which specie is native there?

It really doesn't have the snowshoe paws of a lynx and I don't see lynx and rattlesnakes sharing habitat. Very cool recording.
Posted By: Larry Bowden

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 01:12 PM

Enjoyed it'
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 01:25 PM

Amazing footage. I hate snakes, gotta wonder why a bobcat would take the chance. Obviously that wasn't the first rattler that cat has tangled with. Looked like a big snake?
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 01:34 PM

Ay one point it looked like the snake hooked a fang in him? How lucky was it to place a trail cam in that very spot? Wow was that cat fast, so was the snake.
Posted By: Rat_Pack

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 01:46 PM

Very cool video! The cat sure liked the snake stink
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
Wow. It looked to me like the bobcat knew exactly what it was doing and wasn't the first time it had taken a rattler. Looked like it had been taught.

That is exactly what I was thinking.That was cool!Thanks for sharing it.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 03:06 PM

Pretty cool. That cat and I share the same opinions on rattle snakes.
Posted By: harryleggs

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 03:12 PM

Why would anyone even think that was anything but a bobcat?
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 04:02 PM

The cat is top predator no matter who else is around.

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by harryleggs

Boy,you said it!That is a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake which occurs in Northern California.Some people think that only lynx have long ear tufts.Not true.Bobcats from some regions in the West have very long ear tufts and sometimes,much bigger ears even.The bobcats black tail tip is white on the underside,The lynx tail tip is black,allthe way around.
Posted By: jk

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 04:58 PM

WOW WOW WOOW
Posted By: Woodsman1118

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 05:51 PM

I dont know if anyone here has handled rattlesnakes much. But the timber rattlers we have here in the north east emit a very strong odor when they are distressed as do most snakes. It is very unique and strong smell.. This video sure has me wondering if that scent could be used as a lure. That cat was deffinetly rolling in that scent.

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Taximan
Originally Posted by harryleggs

Boy,you said it!That is a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake which occurs in Northern California.Some people think that only lynx have long ear tufts.Not true.Bobcats from some regions in the West have very long ear tufts and sometimes,much bigger ears even.The bobcats black tail tip is white on the underside,The lynx tail tip is black,allthe way around.

The PA bobcats my buddy and I have caught and handled don't have any where near that amount of ear tuft. Some have none at all.

Here's a pic of the last one I caught, no ear tufts like most of our cats.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Maybe try not to get your panties so bunched up over a simple question eh guys?

i do appreciate the explanation and description Taximan.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 06:55 PM

Lugnut it makes me wonder if the farther north and west you go the more subtle changes you might see. The Kansas and Texas cats don't have much ear tuff either.

[Linked Image]

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Woodsman1118
I dont know if anyone here has handled rattlesnakes much. But the timber rattlers we have here in the north east emit a very strong odor when they are distressed as do most snakes. It is very unique and strong smell.. This video sure has me wondering if that scent could be used as a lure. That cat was deffinetly rolling in that scent.

I have talked of this before,Woodsman.When I lived in Timber Rattlesnake country,I handled quite a few.I only took a few for skins and meat and saved the glands for experimentation.The glands of 3,average timber rattlers,barely covered the bottom of a 1 oz jar.I presented it to some domestic canines and got very dramatic responses from each.They would curl their lips back as in a Flehmen response,lick their lips and shudder and shake.I just didn't get a chance to try it on the trapline much.I have handled other species but they didn't seem to have much odor or if they did,it was different.I'd like to have a pint of that stuff,though times are different now and I just never did want to take enough of those Timbers,even when legal,to do much with.A unique smell,for sure.

Thank you,Lugnut.I saw the same type tufts in WV when I lived there.I have seen super long ones in Utah and other places in the West.
[Linked Image]
WV cat

[Linked Image]
Montana cat.

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 07:19 PM

Don't Worry...There have been arguments about Squirrel ear tufts on here before

Regional differences ....
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 10:11 PM

Must take a bobcat vs. lynx id course to trap in some states now!!!
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 10:43 PM

Interesting, I was more interested in the behavior after the kill by the cat than the actual kill. There are some behavior issues that could be utilized in helping to set traps that don't get rolled on etc. and he came back several times to roll at the kill site too.

Bryce

Re: Bobcat vs. Rattlesnake - 10/22/20 10:59 PM

Interesting.

The video was filmed in Angeles National Forest which is southern California. I'm betting the ear tufts are a regional thing.

The video gives me even more respect for the predatory ability of bobcats.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums