Home

Explain trap line dogs to me

Posted By: Leftlane

Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 05:26 PM

Every time I read a post about a trap line dog I probably read it a 2nd time trying to figure out the benefit of having one. To me, it would seem to be a great way for him (or her) to be making scent posts while I was pounding in a hole and giving a coyote and excuse to work something besides my set.

What am I missing? What advantages would a dog on the line give you?
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 05:29 PM

I agree that they could be a big advantage, but (like everything else) some seem to think it is a waste. Idk, but I'm interested in other thoughts as well.
Posted By: Jackdale

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 05:33 PM

Mark set locations for lure shy animals, follow drags, find missing traps, tree lions/bear, decoy and work coyotes in between checking sets. That's just scraping the surface of things they're handy for. They can be a pain in the butt, but benefits far outweigh costs for me.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 05:40 PM

They can be used for finding beaver bank dens. I've heard of other guys using them to find animals when using drags. I'm not a K9 trapper, but I've heard of guys using them to locate K9 set locations. I guess they watch what draws the dog's interest and then make the set there.

Every time I've had a dog with me on the line, it becomes more of a hassle than it's worth. I've brought young pups with me on remote walk in beaver jobs to get them used to being in the woods. However, it doesn't take them long to get used to that and then they're typically off in the next county and you're spending the rest of the day tracking them down. I've had pups break through the thin ice around feed piles...good opportunity for them to learn how to get out on their own cuz if they go through, this fat guy will too!
Posted By: Lazarus

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 05:42 PM

Leftlane:

I have a dog and I'd consider myself at a disadvantage without him. On most days. But I suspect that's because of where and how I trap.

As to your concern that he'd be off making his own scent posts, I guess it happens. But I notice when my dog gets out of the truck he's looking for the scent station he suspects is already there. He looks and sniffs and usually will lock in on a spot, give it a good long whiff, and then lift his leg. That's where one of the traps typically goes.

I use a lot of drags in my country so he's pretty valuable for finding animals on drags, especially cats (which as you know can hide real well). On coyotes, I trap some pretty open country and in some situations (for lots of different reasons) need to use a drag. Generally I can track a coyote fairly easily, but my four legged friend can track it on a dead run, saving me time and often energy because he will locate the coyote so I can take a direct route, as opposed to what is often the circular route the coyote takes.

Finally, I check most of my traps in the dark, before or after work. The dog knows where the traps are so often I can just open the door of the truck (he insists on riding shotgun), let him out, and listen. If he barks, I've obviously caught something. If there is no catch, he'll come back to the truck pretty quick and we move on down the line.

I'm not trying to convince you to get a dog. If you've trapped this long without one, then it may not do you much good.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 06:05 PM

My "trapline" dogs are with me for companionship and nothing else. They earn their food in the grouse woods, pheasant fields and duck blinds.

I've often heard the old saw about a dog showing you where to make scent posts. Well, I run all male dogs and if i made a set everywhere they marked I'd be out of traps before i left the first farm. LOL

I already know where to make the productive scent posts from scouting and following tracks in the snow. I don't need my dogs showing me a few dozen other possible locations.

I can see where they'd be useful in locating critters that ran off with your drags. But i don't run drags.

So, to me, a good trapline dog is just an obedient companion to keep me company on the line.

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 06:49 PM

I wondered Lugnut. Laz- I imagine you are right once a guy got used to having a dog w/ him he would learn to use it to his advantage. I have used dogs and even saddled horses when I couldn't find an cat on a drag. Both times I looked all over and found them very close to where they started. I might over look them but the dog didn't LOL. Made me feel silly
Posted By: coalbank

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 06:49 PM

My pup will mark where I ask him to. He will also dig where I ask him to. He hasn't been on the line yet as he is only 10 months old. Have been working with him to run the line with me. A few friends that used dogs on the line have had great results. Zagman and Stink come to mind as fellas that figured out why the dog is a benefit on the k9 line.
Posted By: charles

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 07:56 PM

I have learned a lot from watching a dog.
Posted By: Cedar Hacker

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 08:16 PM

My dog finds a place to make a set and since I have gotten old and forgetful he sometimes leads me back to the pickup. Oh, and then he leads me back to the sets.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 08:42 PM

Someone has to taste test my baits to see if their any good or not, I most certainly aren't going to try them! Companionship is a biggie for me. He may be running around while I'm making a set but I figure that'll just peak the interest on any canine that comes around. Maybe it'll work the area a bit harder, I don't know but he's
nice to have around. As far as marking spots he hasn't seemed to figure that one out as he'll only mark it if he feels dominant. Apparently he doesn't feel that way around coyotes as he waits till we get home to do that. Hates woodchucks and raccoons but is afraid of house cats. He's young but coming around.
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 10:01 PM

My dog is great at telling me where to make sets, is better at finding sign then me, and has found a few critters on drags that would've taken me 10x as long to find. Plus just good to have some company I think.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 10:10 PM

if i make a dirthole im going to make a scentpost near by and if it is where one is already , all the better . because the first thing a coyote is going to do after encountering a dirthole is pee on somthhing
Posted By: adam m

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 11:12 PM

My hound goes with me on the line for many reasons 1) exercise 2) hunt cats and lions 3) help. That's just to name a few.
I've been on snow covered cliffs with a backtoe caught bobcat the hound helped distract the cat while I figured how to dispatch safely. Only 1 direction was safe enough with all circumstances given and I was downhill. If i lost my footing it was 200' down. Joy went toe to toe with the cat
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/22/20 11:48 PM

Adult coyotes tend to get upset when someone trespasses, they react to it, ogorman said it can add ten percent to your catch.
When my dog barks at them they are focused on that instead of taking off.
A dog can help recover animals on a drag, mine chased one into a tangle of willows after popping stake out on snare as i pulled up, id hate to go without one
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 12:05 AM

Wouldn't go without my dog, for the reasons above. Better company than people too! grin
Posted By: bandy

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 01:18 AM

It's not just having a dog It's having the right dog and you have to be a dog person not all people are dog people.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 01:20 AM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Wouldn't go without my dog, for the reasons above. Better company than people too! grin

Plus the dog won't steal
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 02:23 AM

I've always said the more I deal with people, the more I like my dog!
Posted By: nate

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 03:37 AM

I think it let's the coyote think about the dog and less about me.
Posted By: martyd

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 05:07 AM

Only good thing a trap line dog is for is peeing on sets , wasting your time when you could be trapping. I have no idea why some one would want one on their line with them unless they are lonely. MD
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 05:11 AM

They can retrieve your small game you shoot while trapping since you'll need it to eat after spending all your money in pursuit of worthless furs. lol
Posted By: MJM

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 01:47 PM

A good dog will find you way more fur than what is supposedly wasted time. I can't say I wasted much time trapping with a dog. I had to open the pickup door to get out and he stood on the seat until I reached in and touched the back of his head and said OK. I had times he was on a track before I got the ATV off the trailer. He would find every active den on a quarter of CRP in a couple passes. When my dog would pee on a coyote of fox scent post he would scratch and bark when I was done. If he was just peeing, he just peed. He was less than three months old when he found a 110 a coon stole with a rat in it, and carried off 100 yards from where it was set. When I trap with a dog, I do my thing and he does his. I just watch him so I know what is going on. A dog trapping is no different than a dog hunting birds. If it is used it will get to where it knows so much more about what is going on than you do, and all you have to do is watch to see what it does.
A old badger dig with a coon holed up I would not have found if I would not have had a dog to run 100 yards over and tell me it was there. Put a 160 over the hole and next check guess who was waiting.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Tom Fisher

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 02:05 PM

I take a dog with me adds a lot, found animals in traps added animals several times that they treed or ran to ground plus they keep people from my vehicle who may want to" borrow" something! A "smiling" Airedale solves a lot of problems!

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
They can retrieve your small game you shoot while trapping since you'll need it to eat after spending all your money in pursuit of worthless furs. lol

ADC! You sir have a selective memory. I distinctly remember you telling me about the wife setting the dog on a yearling coon and treeing it on your pointy little head! whistle
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 04:30 PM

Our dogs, ( KBDs ) offer us bear protection. Thats a big deal and can be a life saver up here. Also works good to let them run around a bait site, then I set snares in their tracks. The wolves will often follow a dogs tracks into the area.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/23/20 08:08 PM

Pretty says it all. A good dog is great company. Never complains.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/24/20 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Originally Posted by ~ADC~

ADC! You sir have a selective memory. I distinctly remember you telling me about the wife setting the dog on a yearling coon and treeing it on your pointy little head! whistle

Well yeah, there's that too. laugh
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/24/20 04:34 AM

I see it's pretty common in AU and alot of guys in the West and some in the south to let their dogs run a hard of them on a a road or two track and where ever that dog stops to mark are poop they will stop and just set a trap on it.
I know alpine hunter ,one of the Aussie trappers who used to frequent the site had a dog that would dig his dirt holes for him.
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/24/20 10:55 AM

[Linked Image]

Stormy is a Hanging Tree Cattle Dog Has gone with me on all my cattle jobs and trap lines. As stated above a better friend then most people.
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/24/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
A good dog will find you way more fur than what is supposedly wasted time. I can't say I wasted much time trapping with a dog. I had to open the pickup door to get out and he stood on the seat until I reached in and touched the back of his head and said OK. I had times he was on a track before I got the ATV off the trailer. He would find every active den on a quarter of CRP in a couple passes. When my dog would pee on a coyote of fox scent post he would scratch and bark when I was done. If he was just peeing, he just peed. He was less than three months old when he found a 110 a coon stole with a rat in it, and carried off 100 yards from where it was set. When I trap with a dog, I do my thing and he does his. I just watch him so I know what is going on. A dog trapping is no different than a dog hunting birds. If it is used it will get to where it knows so much more about what is going on than you do, and all you have to do is watch to see what it does.
A old badger dig with a coon holed up I would not have found if I would not have had a dog to run 100 yards over and tell me it was there. Put a 160 over the hole and next check guess who was waiting.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Big coon!
Dogs are awesome 😊😁, i was really surprised last year when a couple guys lectured me for having a dog for coyote trapping, i haven't talked to those two since
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/24/20 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by charles
I have learned a lot from watching a dog.

Im not touching that one with a ten foot pole !! grin
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/25/20 12:16 AM

Like Lugnut, for companionship. I also like the idea of the the coyote being more occupied by the dog’s scent than mine. My mountain cur lives with his nose to the ground all the time so I don’t know what he is always smelling.
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/25/20 02:23 AM

Locations, my male can't walk past a spot another has marked, in snow fresh k9 tracks never hurt a set, ohh he's also alot faster at finding my drags hidden in the shelter belts
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/25/20 03:51 AM

Yep, my theory is that they can tell you (with absolute positivity) where k9s like to frequent. It's not about them making sets for you, but showing you EXACTLY where to put them. Just an ignorant opinion, one that I may utilize this winter...we'll see.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Explain trap line dogs to me - 10/25/20 07:00 AM

A dog is only as good as his training. I've been around dogs that might waste time, but not mine. I'm not really sure how a decent dog could waste time... he keeps up, stays with me but out of the way, loads and unloads when I tell him to, and hops on and off the wheeler and snowmachine for the longer rides. He hunts but doesn't chase unless I let him. He doesn't get to come with me all the time, but I like it when he does. Canines are shy of my tracks in snow, but they're all over his. His pee spots will be covered by coyote and wolves the next check. Not to mention the coyotes he's pulled into shooting range just by being there. I'm convinced I see more wildlife overall with a decent dog than without one.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums