Home

Made up some new drags today

Posted By: Flipper 56

Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 06:05 PM

I made up some Saber-Tooth drags to try this season on some sets. I like the idea of not always having a set or location destroyed and letting them go to cover that is close.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 06:06 PM

Careful you might like them so much you all but give up staking a trap solid. Also, nice looking work.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 08:05 PM

I would sure like to try some someday, I’m not sure why it just sounds appealing to me
Posted By: warrior

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 08:07 PM

Wish I could but it would be bad form letting a coyote drag one through an Atlanta subdivision.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 08:16 PM

How did you sharpen your points?I could bang out several very quickly if it wernt for having to sharpen the points. Angle grinder is fastest way I could think of besides taking them to get machined which then I might as well buy drags already made for what it would cost. I looked for a chamfer mill to chuck in a drill but couldn't find the degree I wanted
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 08:47 PM

Nice work, I'll bet you are going to like those. Good luck!

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87
How did you sharpen your points?I could bang out several very quickly if it wernt for having to sharpen the points. Angle grinder is fastest way I could think of besides taking them to get machined which then I might as well buy drags already made for what it would cost. I looked for a chamfer mill to chuck in a drill but couldn't find the degree I wanted

I bought the Saber-tooth drags from F&T and dipped them in acetone and Rustolium added the swivels and 10 feet of #3 chain.
It looks like the tips were machined and have a needle point for now.

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/22/20 11:34 PM

My wife wants to catch a coyote and I can teach her to bed a trap but I don't see that senior citizen pounding in a super stake with 18" of chain.
The points look machined on these, very sharp. [Linked Image]
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/23/20 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Careful you might like them so much you all but give up staking a trap solid.

like i did several yrs ago
with my bad back i have no biz pulling stakes and can make 3 sets in the time it takes to make 2 when driving stakes
i pre-hook on saplings or logs so don't have to hunt for a catch (who has time for THAT), the scent is left, to attract others, yet the trap bed is intact.
6' of chain keeps them no more than head high WHEN a climbing cat or coon gets caught, so dispatch is easy.
PLUS, ya only need 1 lb mini drags when pre-hooking.
Posted By: Swamp Wolf

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/23/20 12:16 AM

Bears give em ride down here. Wish i could use them.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/23/20 12:45 AM

Looking good flipper.
Posted By: Arkansas87

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/24/20 01:59 AM

Oh ok I gotcha
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/24/20 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by Arkansas87

Best way I found is to use about a 36 grit flat disk and with a angle grinder try to point them like one of them midevil armor percing arrows. Once you get the main profile just go back and round off the edges. Fond this to be the easiest way for me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hunting G

Re: Made up some new drags today - 10/24/20 02:14 PM

Just got some more steel to weld some up for myself as well. Looks good!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums