Delaware and Saphire Gems! One Delaware Rooster [Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 06:18 PM

Now, if they'd just keep their poop in a group! laugh laugh laugh
They take a lot of housekeeping.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 06:41 PM

Lovely coop, Scott...warm and inviting.

I have used a big scoop for kitty litter boxes, to quickly take care of things every morning. Doesn't take much time at all with a smaller flock , and keeps that flooring nice and clean for a long time until walking on it begins to break it down and looses loft. Then it's time for another change and cleaning anyway.

Patrice would love seeing this !
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 06:43 PM

Looks good!
Posted By: run

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 07:25 PM

Yes please.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 07:28 PM

Nice, like a garden with no weeds.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Lovely coop, Scott...warm and inviting.

I have used a big scoop for kitty litter boxes, to quickly take care of things every morning. Doesn't take much time at all with a smaller flock , and keeps that flooring nice and clean for a long time until walking on it begins to break it down and looses loft. Then it's time for another change and cleaning anyway.

Patrice would love seeing this !

The egg boxes have the Curtains because of Patrice's Suggestion 2 years ago when my last flock didn't want to lay eggs in them.

So I tried it and they climbed in 3 at a time in one box that had the first curtain ....as I was putting the material on the other box's grin
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 07:56 PM

I’ve never seen nests with curtains on them, I have to ask what’s the theory behind that?
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 07:56 PM

Nice

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Lippold
I’ve never seen nests with curtains on them, I have to ask what’s the theory behind that?

Michael, curtains gives the girls a sense of cozy privacy. They love that protected feeling.

Scott, I remember when Patrice was showing her curtained nest boxes ! I used heavy cardboard boxes , for ease of transport outside to clean, with smaller openings placed near the walls so you couldn't see in them easily. My girls loved those too.
Posted By: run

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 08:13 PM

Thanks Sharon for the explanation.

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by run
Thanks Sharon for the explanation.

It is so cool to enjoy all the talent and knowledge on this forum cool
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 08:35 PM

My chicken coop looked like that...3 years ago! Lol

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/22/20 11:54 PM

Yes, for 12 years and 6 different breeds of chickens I used those nest boxes without curtains... and all those birds used them fine. Then in 2017 I got the new chick's ( plymouth rocks ) who decided to only lay eggs on the floor. Until...until ...Patrice Saved the Day grin I thought she was Goofy showing me Curtains, A Girly idea I thought.

But I tried 1. And the hens literally lined up to use that box and I had a picture of that day. 3 hens in one box . No more eggs on the floor! smile

Thank You Patrice! Again
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/23/20 12:21 AM

Yup....thats the next project....Curtains !
Posted By: Cragar

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/23/20 12:40 AM

Question: the chicken coops I have seen posted here mostly have a wood floor.

My neighbor has had chickens for over 40 years. His coop has a dirt floor. What he does is let the manure accumulate a bit until it is about an inch thick and hardens up a bit like cement. Then he takes a weedeater with a mini rototiller attachment and churns it back into the soil , fresh new floor.
Good or bad ?
Chickens also have a bit of an outdoor run during the daytime hours , maintained the same way.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/23/20 12:47 AM

Well 2 weeks ago we found the first egg, and today there were 5 out of the 10 pullets. I bring up egg production b/c our digs are not anywhere near as fancy as yours. whistle

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/23/20 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by Nessmuck
Yup....thats the next project....Curtains !

Go suck an egg! It worked
Posted By: warrior

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/23/20 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by Cragar
Question: the chicken coops I have seen posted here mostly have a wood floor.

My neighbor has had chickens for over 40 years. His coop has a dirt floor. What he does is let the manure accumulate a bit until it is about an inch thick and hardens up a bit like cement. Then he takes a weedeater with a mini rototiller attachment and churns it back into the soil , fresh new floor.
Good or bad ?
Chickens also have a bit of an outdoor run during the daytime hours , maintained the same way.

Growing up ours had dirt floors. In the spring it was the kids job to go in with flat shovels and lift that fertilizer and haul it to the garden. Same for the rabbit hutches and stalls where we fed off a beef.

Re: New Flock!!! Clean Coop! HappyChickens! - 10/23/20 02:37 AM

I'm Sure Cragar...that a dirt floor would be fine.

My coop here was a Shed originally and has a cement floor.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums