Home

Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation)

Posted By: Leftlane

Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:21 PM

This was in the Hill Country of Texas- the mare was running with a big bossy warm blood or I think it would have been worse. There was NOTHING sharp in the pen and the fence was all painted oil field pipe (no sharp edges anywhere).

What say you?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:22 PM

Dogman.....lol

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:31 PM

Grumley701- I don't believe you!
In fact I am calling the bigfoot researchers right now. I been wanting to snag a couple of BoBo's ball caps (Gone Squatchin' & Keep It Squatchy- I figure the women will prolly attack me lookin that daggum good)
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:35 PM

Am I seeing more than just that long ding ? Are those stitches ? I think I also see a couple of scratches also on the vertical next to that big one.

Almost seems like claw marks, though too far spaced .

If someone has a halter left on and they get in rough play or argument, sharp edges in the metal rings or buckles could possibly do that, but I've never seen that happen myself.

Wonder if there is something sharp in the dirt somewhere that isn't readily visible , that got rolled on ?

All guesses !
Posted By: nate

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:38 PM

Hoof mark?
Posted By: MJM

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:38 PM

If a predator big enough to take a horse on would have done that it would look much different. As in a dead horse. The vast majority of the horse attacks are self inflicted. What is going to put a scratch on a horse like that? That is barely a scratch. Big predators don't scratch pray.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:42 PM

Vampire

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:50 PM

Mark- when I say she runs with a boss mare think shaking a predator to death bossy. & Sharon you should know me better than that. No halters in a turn out pen when I am on the place. Stiches on the bad one and silver sealed the whole area. She also got some new age antibiotic I cant spell.

I came home from a date and this mare was waiting at the gate. She was visibly shaken and tried to follow me into the vet shack when I got out the banamine. I put her in a stall and she pawed all of the shavings up in the corners by dawn. I'd never seen that behavior out of her b4 and for months she would stay under the barn light after dark. What ever it was scared her.
Posted By: grumley701

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 04:51 PM

sounds like dogman leftlane.... laugh
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 05:00 PM

Man I love finding Bigfoot! I watched it in kindergarten I would stay up late on Sunday to catch the new episode. Call the BFRO! Bobo was my favorite I had a gone squatchin shirt when I was little.

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 05:03 PM

I didn't know it is your horses ! Of course I know you'd never leave halters on ...I thought they are someone you know who owns them.

Well, I am stumped on this one, Hoss.

Years ago I had an appy who tore his foreleg something terrible in a paddock with some trees in it. I was renting that paddock at the time. I was confounded, since from the start I scoured the place to make sure it was safe.

I spent some hours searching the area again, in grid like fashion. Finally, at the level of where he tore his leg , I found a dang nail that was sticking out of one of the trees, just long enough but not so long that it was easily seen. Been there a long time, brown, not shiny metal . The head had been torn off and a sharp point was left.

I couldn't believe it. Typical to my appy's nature, he had to rub on that tree, at that side, out of all the trees in there...

Kids do the darnedest things ...

I hope you find what did it soon. Things like that bother me till I solve them.

From her fright as you described, I can't help but wonder if someone messed with them in meanness while you were gone....hope I am definitely wrong on that...I didn't think of this until contemplating on her obvious fright.
Posted By: WakopaWalker

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 05:07 PM

Cat. Big cat, whether you call it mountain lion, puma, cougar, jaguar, doesn't really matter.

They go for the neck to throw the horse and then clamp down on the throat. Usually foals or yearlings, but bigger horses for a bigger, hungrier cat.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 05:41 PM

Yep, big cat was my first thought followed by a jealous ex of your date.
Posted By: camlock

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 06:45 PM

The scratches look evenly spaced. What is the inch spacing between them? Do you think a large cat would use both feet to grab and hold on? Thus another set of scratch marts?
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 06:59 PM

Scratches from a horseshoe?
Posted By: GROUSEWIT

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 07:00 PM

Here

Attached picture 20191214_163840~2.jpg

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Yep, big cat was my first thought followed by a jealous ex of your date.

Only he wasn't an EX!!!! laugh

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by camlock
The scratches look evenly spaced. What is the inch spacing between them? Do you think a large cat would use both feet to grab and hold on? Thus another set of scratch marts?

This is why I finally thought about the possibility of something like a hard pronged rake or pitchfork....man, the thought is just awful . The only reason I thought of this is because the lines are far apart and equally spaced, from what it seems like in the photo.
Posted By: Chuckles84

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 07:51 PM

Its gettimg close to Halloween and the sickos are out in force. I wouldnt rule out 2 legged perpetrators.
Posted By: camlock

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 08:26 PM

Very well could be a 2 legged critter. It happened at night. Don't know how far off the main road the corral is. Like Sharon said, pitch fork, garden rake. I wonder if any of these kind tools are out where someone could easily pick it up to do harm to that horse. Someone
would have to intentionally bring that tool for that purpose. Trail cam time.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 08:37 PM

Right hind foot of the boss mare.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 08:37 PM

Let's hear about the date. laugh Inquiring minds want to know. laugh Was this Miss Bendover or a floozie out in Coloradoo. laugh
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 08:47 PM

Looks like the hip scratches on our neighbors horse a few years ago. She heard a big cat scream at dusk and one of her horses came out of the woods like crazy, bleeding with wide scratches.
She called and said keep the kids close
Posted By: Trapper5123

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 08:49 PM

Look like that big cat caught him a Jesus in that other pic.

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Trapper5123
Look like that big cat caught him a Jesus in that other pic.

We were helpin our buddy move in that day! Didn't get him hung up yet. That don't sound right does it?

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 09:07 PM

Lol

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 10:40 PM

By the process of elimination the vet, the farrier, and myself could only guess big cat. There are no roads close by and there sure as weren't any pitch forks left around horses, company owned or not.

Sharon, she belonged to a lady who was scared of her but I like to see new country and the ends of cattle so I got along good with that mare. She was build like a tank and she knew the sound of me backing under a trailer. LOL- she would be waiting at the gate and dive nose first into a halter b/c she didn't want anybody snakin' in on her job!

[Linked Image]

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 11:01 PM

How many hands high is the horse?
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 11:04 PM

Beautiful Horse by the way
Posted By: Broomchaser

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 11:17 PM

Lucky horse. Proof why cats of all sizes should be kept in check.

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 11:51 PM

x 2 Boom Chaser

Originally Posted by GROUSEWIT
How many hands high is the horse?

Prolly 15-3 or 4- she wasn't no little gal LOL. Anyone like big butts?

[Linked Image]

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/23/20 11:55 PM

Now Hoss, just like the halter thought, I KNEW there are no tools just laying around lookin for trouble....what I thought was someone just random with a mean intent...since the marks seem wide enough apart and consistent . You know how it is around stables or pastures sometimes...at some rental stables, every Halloween or 4th of July, some of us used to just hang at night at the stables to keep kids from messing with the horses as they were out roaming . The occasional potshot at someone's cow or horse in a pasture...stuff like that . If they are caught , they get the whippin of their lives...

That mare looks just like the bulldog low to the ground type that my father bred and cleaned up at the shows with . He had a liver coloured big engined mare like that , who was his favourite in bulldoggin , roping and reining. Once she lined him up with the steer, if he didn't dive off to grab those horns when she thought he should, she would swing her head to the side to look back at him and frown with ears pinned and crinkled nostrils, all at full gallop ....lol

She was serious as a heart attack and made some of the nicest offspring out of Poco Bueno and King lines ever.

That's a real beauty you have there, Hoss.

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 12:06 AM

Well I should have guessed that Sharon. To most I wouldn't admit it but I walked that turn out pen 3 times from 2 different directions just to make sure there wasn't anything sharp around or tracks. Like I said, by the process of elimination and her behavior immediately afterward I became convinced the only thing short of alien abduction was a cat sneakin thru. If I had let her in the bunkhouse that night she would have crawled up on the couch with me. She was terrified and usually she was a pin her ears back and go at 'em type.

I never set out to ride mares but I have had 2 or 3 win me over in the end. That one is a Hanoverian or however it is spelled. She should not have been cowey but when it looked like the wreck was on she would get as punchy as you needed her to be.

Here is another notable mare- my kid probably never would have learned to rope following me around but this little OK Star daughter out of a Poco bred mare kept putting him in the right place until he figured it out. Even at 23 if she got out run he was late out of the box. RIP "Racy" Lacy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

She was cute too- he was always showing up with some little gal or another riding behind him LOL

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 12:10 AM

All the guys from OKC down through Pauls Valley swore by the Oklahoma Star breeding. They said you could cowboy on one 3 times a week and then go win cash at one of their sand bar races in the river. I usually listen to anything they say with a grain of salt but the few Ive been around were the real deal. Work ethic and speed any time you ask for it

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 01:28 AM

Well what do you know...my boy, Bailey, imported from Ireland, was a Hanoverian cross , 19 hands a giant , that had a swing gait at the extended trot in dressage , and could jump the biggest oxers with ease in cross-country racing . The time span between his contact posting in the trot seemed like forever.

Proves lots of times the breed doesn't always read the script and can do surprising things that another breed does.

There is an old Bedouin Tribe saying, that has been in existence for several thousand years, about mares...in paraphrase, if you want to win the war, ride a mare.

A good mare is worth her weight in gold.

Love those horses in your photos.

The mare that taught me the most, was Lazy....anything but. She was a warrior and consistent as any gelding you've ever known.

I ran her in the barrels and she cleaned up. She was the old style appy ...not many people liked riding her. She wasn't mine, her owner never rode her but loved it when we met and hired me to work with her.

I never was able to work this out of her, but at the beginning of every ride...every single ride , the moment we got up to speed, she would pull a Lippizan Capriole and leap straight up high in the air, kick out with both back feet, then once she landed, get down to business and tear up the contest time to win or nearly so. It was that mighty leap that everyone else disliked. I didn't like it either, and spent much time trying to figure out why...gear fit, changing headgear, vet checks....nothing. She did it just because...she frowned often, as in the photos in our training maneuvers. She did best with a simple D snaffle ....no leverage-nothing.

I just loved her. We had a partnership that I learned so much from, in total respect. That's all she needed.

A good mare is impossible to beat. That was a Billy Cook saddle . I later traded it for a 1923 Hamley.

She taught me how to really ride.

The bottom pic is herself beginning that leap . I wished the camera person had got it just a nanosecond later ...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 01:46 AM

Any big cat tracks to be found?
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 01:58 AM

That ain't no attack of any sort from a animal wink
If I had a dollar for everytime I see _hear about this kinda thing whistle

Bout 15 years ago, a guy from Halstad Mn had a horse "attacked".

Basically wide open farm county. His wife said she seen a "big black cat" in the yard.
Oh my......

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 02:22 AM

Sharon her ears and tail tell me all I need to know. Tail hunter tracks are hard to come by in some parts of the world.

Also, is bucks and bears the guy that said wolves don't have any slope to their forehead or that bobcats cant have ear tufts? Surely this isnt the first time he got it open so wide a boot would fit.

I know exactly what I was looking at Pilgrim grin
I'd overload this page with all the lion catches made with in a hundred miles of so of this ranch.

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 02:27 AM

[Linked Image]

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 03:20 AM

That's some pretty county right there.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 03:29 AM

chupacabra

Garry-

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Trapper5123
That's some pretty county right there.

Thanks I think so but if something wants to stay out of sight there it it stays out.

Gary, you sound like every Mexican neighbor I've ever had LOL
Posted By: SnareLine

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sharon
Well what do you know...my boy, Bailey, imported from Ireland, was a Hanoverian cross , 19 hands a giant , that had a swing gait at the extended trot in dressage , and could jump the biggest oxers with ease in cross-country racing . The time span between his contact posting in the trot seemed like forever.

Proves lots of times the breed doesn't always read the script and can do surprising things that another breed does.

There is an old Bedouin Tribe saying, that has been in existence for several thousand years, about mares...in paraphrase, if you want to win the war, ride a mare.

A good mare is worth her weight in gold.

Love those horses in your photos.

The mare that taught me the most, was Lazy....anything but. She was a warrior and consistent as any gelding you've ever known.

I ran her in the barrels and she cleaned up. She was the old style appy ...not many people liked riding her. She wasn't mine, her owner never rode her but loved it when we met and hired me to work with her.

I never was able to work this out of her, but at the beginning of every ride...every single ride , the moment we got up to speed, she would pull a Lippizan Capriole and leap straight up high in the air, kick out with both back feet, then once she landed, get down to business and tear up the contest time to win or nearly so. It was that mighty leap that everyone else disliked. I didn't like it either, and spent much time trying to figure out why...gear fit, changing headgear, vet checks....nothing. She did it just because...she frowned often, as in the photos in our training maneuvers. She did best with a simple D snaffle ....no leverage-nothing.

I just loved her. We had a partnership that I learned so much from, in total respect. That's all she needed.

A good mare is impossible to beat. That was a Billy Cook saddle . I later traded it for a 1923 Hamley.

She taught me how to really ride.

The bottom pic is herself beginning that leap . I wished the camera person had got it just a nanosecond later ...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WHAT A WOMAN!! grin
Posted By: SnareLine

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 07:07 AM

Y'all live some wonderfully God blessed lives.

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/24/20 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by SnareLine
Y'all live some wonderfully God blessed lives.

Yup

Originally Posted by SnareLine

WHAT A WOMAN!! grin

Double Yup grin

Re: Who done it? (Attempted livestock predation) - 10/25/20 01:25 AM

Snareline , I knew you would survive , as are all those good folks in NY . Hats off to you and yours through these turbulent times.

I have seen you on here forever. Don't be so scarce . Don't make us all worry , here !

Hoss and all of us like your humour grin

Take care and keep vigilant , you tough NY trapper !
© 2024 Trapperman Forums