Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 12:44 AM

https://www.eastoregonian.com/sport...58e-11eb-8d6d-0f27c4044b76.html#comments
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 12:49 AM

Thats a Dead looking Wolf
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 12:51 AM

Thats one ugly coloured wolf pelt -good to get it out of the gene pool.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 12:59 AM

Idiots. Do they offer that much to some one who solved a murder case? It's a stinking animal!

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 01:03 AM

I agree
Posted By: white17

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 01:31 AM

On the other hand........It may be counterproductive to kill an animal that is clearly in a research program. The results of a program like that could actually result in a harvestable surplus by trappers at some date. IMO it is shortsighted to do things like that
Posted By: OregonBeaver

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 01:34 AM

Unfortunately Oregon is as liberal as California..it wouldn't matter if we had 2000 wolves here. There still wouldn't be a season.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 01:44 AM

I absolutely hate seeing a collar on a wild animal.

This day n age biologist should just figger food,water n space.
Animal travel and will do so as long as these 3 are met.

But I question I'd take a 6 figger salary to do it.

But really, look at MN bear research program.
How much MORE can they "learn"?
Posted By: white17

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 01:52 AM

I doubt there are a lot of 6 figure salaries in wildlife management at the biologist level. Maybe at the political appointee level. That is an unfortunate aberration of the civil service and "spoils" system.

I know the Idaho Chief of Wildlife ( a member of this forum) does not make a 6 figure salary. Oregon may be different but I'd be surprised

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by OregonBeaver
Unfortunately Oregon is as liberal as California..it wouldn't matter if we had 2000 wolves here. There still wouldn't be a season.

X2
Posted By: H2ORat

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 04:23 AM

Would it be politically incorrect to start a 10k legal defense fund for anyone that shoots a wolf?
Posted By: AJE

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 04:30 AM

That's a huge reward offer.

Oregon must be a frustrating state to live in. I've never been there, but it sounds nice geographically. I just don't know how reasonable folks can tolerate the political climate out there.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 04:36 AM

Several years ago an extensive study was conducted locally from one of the major Ontario Universities and they had over 40 wolves radio collared. During that time I snared one, a friend shot one, I picked a road killed one up off the shoulder of the highway and I trail cam photoed a fourth. Each time the collars and or animals were collected by the MNRF or participants in the study. We were questioned and thanked for our participation. How they got harvested and/or get killed was all part of the study. The one I took was a long time breeding female that they were fond of and disappointed to see it killed but it was legally harvested.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 05:27 AM

You done good Critterddun making the anthropomorphizing researchers cry from dissappointment.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 11:09 AM

Appearantly the shooter doesn't own a shovel.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
Idiots. Do they offer that much to some one who solved a murder case? It's a stinking animal!

Humans are guilties.
Animals are innocents.

Save the planet from guilties.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
You done good Critterddun making the anthropomorphizing researchers cry from dissappointment.

You know the study, we were pretty supportive, they seemed so very unbiased. But the end result was that they still supported the non sense about the Algonquin. Everyone knows where the funding comes from for such projects and extensions,, lol.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by white17
On the other hand........It may be counterproductive to kill an animal that is clearly in a research program. The results of a program like that could actually result in a harvestable surplus by trappers at some date. IMO it is shortsighted to do things like that

I agree. Since I've been around, turkeys have been reintroduced to the area and are very available for harvest, deer are flourishing when they were once not seen as recent as 50 years ago. Bobcats were non-existent basically and now are very common(in the last 5-10 years). Once we overcome the antis, we will have a season again for them. And we will overcome the antis! Now, I don't know if the folks in oregon are interested in having wolves or not, but if it is native habitat, why not? I don't think any of us are here to see species go extinct. I don't think the guilty party should swing from a rope, but how stupid do you have to be to shoot a collared wolf when the state is known to have less than 200? Pop him with a fine to replace the wolf and pay for some research.

You're correct on the wildlife biologist salaries as well. They don't come close to 6 figures.
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 09:01 PM

Back 35 or so years ago there was a grad student here that tagged/collared a bunch of bears......then sorta forgot about them and abandoned them. There were bears shot for several years that had pus-filled wounds on their throats from those dang collars growing into their necks. It was a terrible P.R. blackeye for the DNR. They didn't do it, but they okayed the project.

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 09:44 PM

The odfw pet project claims less than 200

Incidents say otherwise . I'm sure many more are purposely un counted for political reasons

We have an over populated cougar problem and they do just fine decimating the deer and elk on thier own .

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 10:03 PM

Another odfw pet project is the release of the non native turkey . The turkey has hammered the grouse here in Oregon.

The odfw can't manage native species very well and have no business introducing non native species
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Wolf down - 10/24/20 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by fishnhunts
Originally Posted by white17

I agree. Since I've been around, turkeys have been reintroduced to the area and are very available for harvest, deer are flourishing when they were once not seen as recent as 50 years ago. Bobcats were non-existent basically and now are very common(in the last 5-10 years). Once we overcome the anti his, we will have a season again for them. And we will overcome the antis! Now, I don't know if the folks in oregon are interested in having wolves or not, but if it is native habitat, why not? I don't think any of us are here to see species go extinct. I don't think the guilty party should swing from a rope, but how stupid do you have to be to shoot a collared wolf when the state is known to have less than 200? Pop him with a fine to replace the wolf and pay for some research.

You're correct on the wildlife biologist salaries as well. They don't come close to 6 figures.

Having wolves would be ok if they were managing them from the start. They won't be, and you will have another Idaho situation. Ask the ranchers in Idaho.
No, I wasn't advocating shooting protected animals, but the reward is way over the top.
Personally, I think bringing back the wolves is stupid, as the Idaho situation has already proven. Sportsman and rancher and Farmers will all lose from it eventually.
Posted By: OregonBeaver

Re: Wolf down - 10/25/20 01:02 AM

No wolf problem in Oregon right... Odfw took two out of traps today for me and radio collared em.[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums