Home

Once Bitten- Twice Shy

Posted By: Eagleye

Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 10:53 AM

How long in time, do you think it takes for different target species to return to the same style set after a pull-out?
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 10:59 AM

Interesting question! I imagine animals are like people in some respects. Some will forget the experience pretty quickly and go right back in. Others may never approach a set again.
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 11:03 AM

Had a bobcat loose a toe, went diagonally across the field and got caught in a set made the same as the first one.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 11:03 AM

Going to be different for each critter.

I had a Red pull off a nail. Very next night caught a Red with a bloody toe missing a nail. I didn’t CSI to see if the nail matched that toe but I’m pretty certain it was the same one. lol

Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by tmrschessie
Had a bobcat loose a toe, went diagonally across the field and got caught in a set made the same as the first one.

I have always said cats are dumber than canines. lol
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 11:36 AM

I had a beaver kink a snare and break it. Caught him a day later in another snare.
Posted By: run

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 12:02 PM

It may depend on if you change up your lure. I have no idea to be honest though.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
I had a beaver kink a snare and break it. Caught him a day later in another snare.

Supporting once again why snares are very effective for trap shy beaver.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 12:15 PM

If a Different location..and lure ...same day sometimes
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 02:07 PM

If your talking canines, you know your dog. My dumb about the world JRT doesn't forget anything but commands! Was triving down the road to where her mother and grandmother, and she was born and raised till 8 weeks old, and when she saw the house, she went bannanas! Canines are smart as are beavers compared to most of the rest of the animal world, but even a packrat will surprise you sometiimes! lol
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by tmrschessie

That might be a world record fast forgetting! I turned a super spotted up yearling female loose from a foothold (offset jaws with big lams = no damage at all) only to cage her a quarter mile away the next 2 nights.

I pulled all the traps off that place or I figure I'd catch her again and again. Cats are not scared or traps and IDK if you can even make them scared.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 04:20 PM

I had a lion once,cruise about a mile of my cat line.I had quite a few,two trap,walk through sets there.The first set it encountered,it stepped on and pulled out of the right hand trap.It moved along and repeated this three more times,over that mile,always the right hand trap.The last trap,it pulled the stake and took off with the trap.Lion hunters were coming the next day.I told them it would probably have a trap on the right foot.They killed the cat,a male,and it was on the right foot.I got my trap back.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 04:32 PM

Once Biden- twice shy lol!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 04:37 PM

Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 08:47 PM

Back a few years ago my All Purpose Boy and I made a drive to a section of the eastern U.P. to set up a short Marten/Fisher/'cat line. We have a 24 hour mandatory check here unless the set is a "kill" set (body-grip or slide wire foothold type sets), so we only set body-grips 4 feet or higher on the boles of trees using wire cages like Bob Noonan's Fisher trapping book describes. My Bride and I drove back up about 3 days later so I could check the traps and pull them in one trip. It was a slow trip around the line. On one of the last stops my APB and I had each set a body-grip/wire cage baited with beaver. They were about 30 yards apart. When I neared my set my heart kick up a bit because there was a dandy set of 'cat tracks walking right toward the set. I was bummed when I found my conibear on the ground snapped, and the beaver meat all eaten. I pulled the set and turned up the trail towards my son's set....as had the 'cat. The Bobcat, a large framed, but scrawny male, hung dead in his conibear. I was thrilled to see it hanging there. This 'cat maybe was starving and threw caution to the wind, but he sure didn't learn a thing from snapping my set.
Posted By: yoteguts

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 08:56 PM

A few years after a very windy night. I had a yote triple caught in a corn field. I watched two pull out before I got to them due to corn filling up my trench sets. Two days later I had a yote by the left foot with a trap mark on his right foot. Same place.

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 09:00 PM

Caught this female last year. Three weeks and five miles from where she was collared. Study ended that day.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by yoteguts
Caught this female last year. Three weeks and five miles from where she was collared. Study ended that day.

[Linked Image]

grin
Did they give you any grief about ending the study for them when they came after the collar?

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 09:36 PM

Nope they sure didn’t. I helped them collar 8 the year before. Amazing how far some travel. One went 9 miles after a release. Others don’t go very far at all. All I know is it sure is hard watching them run away. I’m not wired that way. I prefer they leave dead.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 10:16 PM

You only caught 'er by one foot and it was below her knee were you sick that week?

grin

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 10:56 PM

Really sick. She is the far yote of this double. Both back footers.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: coyote44

Re: Once Bitten- Twice Shy - 10/24/20 11:30 PM

I've heard that once a yote is pinches he will never be caught
© 2024 Trapperman Forums