Home

Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters

Posted By: Northof50

Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 12:48 PM

How many Tmenbers could not come up to Canada to hunt/fish/ ice fishing this season because of covid?
Don't let it go sideways because of politics
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 12:57 PM

As much as I would love to I can't justify the cost so covid had nothing to do with it.

I do sign up to win free trips all the time though.
Posted By: corky

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:14 PM

According to the bait shop and area guides I've talked to there has been a lot of people up here that had cancelled Canadian trips but still wanted to get away. The lakes were crowded compared to the last 15 years or so.
Posted By: old243

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:18 PM

Covid has even affected, the numbers of Canadians going to camps this fall. Our deer camp usually has 8 to 10 hunters. This year will be 5or 6. All older folks. I think the younger hunters can't risk or can't afford to go. My son says he won't go because, he can't risk being tested positive, it would shut down his whole construction crew. They have been a very closed group this year. Our moose group went in two mostly family groups, no tags, so mostly a work party.old243
Posted By: Bear Tracker

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:22 PM

Wife and I missed our trips up this year. I know a guy I work with missed a couple also. Going up for colored phase bear for the wife's retirement next fall.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:31 PM

Should be a busy time up there for you folks when things open up again. Lots of pent-up demand!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by trapdog1
Should be a busy time up there for you folks when things open up again. Lots of pent-up demand!

This^^^
Posted By: atrapper

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:39 PM

Buddies and I cancelled a minimum of four Ontario trips from April through September.
Posted By: pk7

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:41 PM

I had to cancel a spring trip and a fall trip
Posted By: Osky

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:52 PM

North..
I had a very busy year scheduled up there this year. My busiest ever for upscale fishing groups. My fishing groups would have brought long over 130k American to Canada. May not seem like much but I am only one person. I cannot imagine overall what Canada lost.
This does not include fall bird hunting groups.
Someone mentioned a big year of recoup for Canada next year, I’m not so sure it will be that great as most places I booked into flipped all current depositors to next year rather than refund. A lost year for Canadian outfitters for sure.

Osky
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 01:58 PM

Osky is right, the vast majority of us rolled our bookings over to 21. Going to be lots of outfitters out of business by spring.

Im not sure I fully understand the question. No one could come up to Canada to hunt or fish this season??

Osky what type of business do you run a booking agency ?? I might be interested in talking to you if thats the case.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 02:11 PM

Yukon
No one from the states that I know of were allowed across the border, to this day. Essential services only tho I do not know what those were.
I have handled fisherman across the border for decades. Sons of fathers who used me way back when and more and more business people call each year to have trips set up for exactly what they want. From the arctic to Costa Rica.
I’d happily answer your questions or refer you to someone who could do so better than me.

Osky
Posted By: cattails

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 02:19 PM

I was in the boundary waters this summer. The place was over ran with people, several I talked to would have preferred Quetico

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by cattails
I was in the boundary waters this summer. The place was over ran with people, several I talked to would have preferred Quetico

I was up on the motorized edges there with people twice this summer, not my norm. Beautiful country but the steady stream of people, and I do mean steady, going by was surprising. Not my cup of tea.

Osky
Posted By: cattails

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Originally Posted by cattails

I was up on the motorized edges there with people twice this summer, not my norm. Beautiful country but the steady stream of people, and I do mean steady, going by was surprising. Not my cup of tea.

Osky

Same here
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 02:54 PM

Planned on going to Rice Lake but had to put it off.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Osky
Yukon
No one from the states that I know of were allowed across the border, to this day. Essential services only tho I do not know what those were.
I have handled fisherman across the border for decades. Sons of fathers who used me way back when and more and more business people call each year to have trips set up for exactly what they want. From the arctic to Costa Rica.
I’d happily answer your questions or refer you to someone who could do so better than me.

Osky

PM sent Osky
Posted By: mike mason

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 03:32 PM

My hunting partner and I had our Newfie moose hunt cancelled
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 04:07 PM

Here in Missouri we barley shut down they said The state said nonessential workers dont go to work here is some subsidized unemployment get outside and enjoy the out doors they even waived fishing liscence requirements . The crush of people[ many from states that were shut down ] on the lakes rivers was unreal . If Canada had not closed the boarder you would of had a record year .

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bigfoot
Here in Missouri we barley shut down they said The state said nonessential workers dont go to work here is some subsidized unemployment get outside and enjoy the out doors they even waived fishing liscence requirements . The crush of people[ many from states that were shut down ] on the lakes rivers was unreal . If Canada had not closed the boarder you would of had a record year .

Absolutely. Between Minnesotans getting covid money and money saved not going on vacations south last winter combined with the hot economy I think Canada lost out big time. Instead here in northern MN I thought I would never see in my lifetime the number of atv and side by sides on the trails here this past summer. New boats everywhere. I guess people stayed home and spent.
I could not get across this fall for the snow goose migration with my groups either. I know safety but what a revenue loss up there.

Osky
Posted By: newtoga

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 04:49 PM

Our group had our first week of sept fishing trip canceled. Re schedualed for 2021 but might be canceled again.
Posted By: backroadsarcher

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 04:59 PM

Planned a trip with another couple to go to Alaska and were going to sail out of Vancouver. That was canceled. Would have like to do a bear hunt in Manitoba last spring again canceled.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 08:50 PM

I know a handful of guides that work in the industry, some of them filled taxes with the tips included, others did not.
Those that made over 5000$ were able to get government CERB payments others were s.o.l.

Going forward will be interesting. Especially for the lodges financing
I think that "Saskatchewan goose killing machine" on here said was not much completion for the fields
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/25/20 09:19 PM

it would be fair to say any lodge or guide service could take their last 3 years average it and that would be a very close number of people they would have had this year.

so many places have 75% or more repeat business same groups or families either every year or every other year.

the US economy was Great , the Canadian dollar was cheap there was only one reason to not go to Canada Fishing in 2020 on a trip booked in 2019 and that was covid and border closing
Posted By: nt2

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 12:33 AM

Sixteen of us from Kansas got a July trip pushed into 2021.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 01:20 AM

This is the first year I haven’t hunted in Canada because of covid. All the other years it was because I couldn’t afford it
Posted By: KS Yote Trapper

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 02:45 AM

Had our bear hunt canceled. Rescheduled for next fall
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 02:57 AM

There should be more and bigger animals. Hopefully you guys don’t have a bunch of money out there.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 03:13 AM

My cousin and I had wanted to go to Canada this last summer fishing... but couldn't happen

Garry-
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 03:40 AM

Originally Posted by Bob
This is the first year I haven’t hunted in Canada because of covid. All the other years it was because I couldn’t afford it

grin $ame problem$
Posted By: Hornady Reloader

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 04:54 AM

Had a September Moose hunt cancelled to next year.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 08:55 AM

Our group has been deer hunting Northwest Ontario for years. Some in our group bought guided hunts others did a diy hunt on crownlands. The outfitter we used to rent cabins from told us years ago, that USA hunters and fishermen from WI,MI, MN were their bread and butter.

Also, we had a Quebec walleye fishing trip cancelled this past summer.

We now have leased land in the Midwest USA, and if that works out, and if and when the border opens, we will likely not go back to Canada.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 10:07 AM

In 2018 and 2019 I was in Canada to hunt and fish nine times each year. In 2020, zero.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 11:00 AM

Couldn’t go to our cabin in NW Ontario this year. Still paid the property tax so they didn’t miss out on that $100, but the beer store missed out for sure. Lol.

If you are a US citizen and own a business, such as a fishing/hunting camp in Canada you are allowed to cross. You need to quarantine for 14 days and they call to try and make sure your home. No restrictions coming back this way, other than recommendations.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 12:35 PM

Every second cabin in Sioux Narrows Ontario did not have the porch lights on this summer.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Trapset
Couldn’t go to our cabin in NW Ontario this year. Still paid the property tax so they didn’t miss out on that $100, but the beer store missed out for sure. Lol.

If you are a US citizen and own a business, such as a fishing/hunting camp in Canada you are allowed to cross. You need to quarantine for 14 days and they call to try and make sure your home. No restrictions coming back this way, other than recommendations.

Where did you get this info? I heard that resort owners were not allowed to go through, and some weren't even able to open their camps. As you know, LOTS of resort owners live in the US during the winter.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 03:07 PM

A buddy of mine from WI who owns a Lodge went back and forth several times this summer. Came to Lincoln NE for a race of some kind around the 4th and I asked him about it. He said he needed his work permit and proof of ownership to get into Canada and just his passport to get back to US. They were told to get work permit prior to showing up at boarder as they expected long lines for the ones who normally picked them up at the boarder. I think it opened to them in late May or early June.
Posted By: Ave

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/26/20 03:34 PM

A few friends and I were planning a spring bear hunt, had to cancel it though.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/27/20 08:56 AM

On the bright side, there should be some pretty fancy fishing up there the next few years. A lot of lakes I know should benefit from a year off of the constant pressure.

Re: Survey, missed cross-boarders hunters - 10/27/20 01:46 PM

With this c-19 the restaurant trade is otf using walleye and they closed the season on Lake Winnipeg (temporally) and raised the gill mesh size, so that will help. That's 500++ non residents a day that cant come for awhile.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums