Home

Pulling Stakes

Posted By: MySide 🦝

Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 12:11 AM

Hey guys, whats a simple way to pull finned super stakes on cable? grin
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 12:17 AM

Leverage, and mechanics...like a long crow bar. It works for me.
Jim
Posted By: warrior

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 12:52 AM

Finned have a retrieval boss. Crimp some cable or chain to that and you can back them out.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 01:15 AM

Once the ground is froze, forget it. Steel smooth rod is the best for froze ground if you need to stake, if you want to pull it before spring.
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 01:16 AM

Good luck. I can’t do it with a 10 bar sometimes in our ground. I make my own cheep and just cut and run.
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 02:57 AM

Super stake are expensive so you don't want to cut them take a drill and drill down next to it and take a stake puller and jerk em up.
Good luck
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 03:54 AM

Don’t get lazy and pull on the trap, you’ll destroy it. Make sure to pull directly on the stake if you can
Posted By: Willy Firewood

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 08:33 AM

The above methods are Look at Minnesota trapline supplies’ beast or super heavy duty model. Make sure to not get the lighter of the two. I made my own which is similar. It is a simple lever.
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 09:58 AM

Dirt hole auger trick works great in fall. I just pulled a couple dozen traps yesterday with no problem that way but once ground freezes it thaws work to get through the frost. I have mostly sand which makes it easier than any other soil type. Sand doesn't hold the moisture so it doesn't freeze as hard. I have some spots that never freeze more than an inch deep which is nice.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 10:29 AM

I should have added to my response thst once ground freezes hard here I cannot get these back out of the ground at all. Clip and go, or unhook traps from anchors and come back in spring thaw to retrieve anchors.
Posted By: jerry

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 11:38 AM

A winch on 4 wheeler worked great for me
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 11:45 AM

I use my auger and drill down beside it. When the clay gets to hard for a drill I just unclip and go back after a good rain to retrieve. Some I just leave and reuse the next year.
Posted By: Yotegiter

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 12:20 PM

Contact Josh at fur shed fabrication. He makes a puller that is one of the best. After trying MB brands and F&T plus my homemade Jeep jack I settled on this one from Josh, it’s awsome
Posted By: MJM

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 01:01 PM

Some great advice here. But, a puller or winch will not pull a finned super stake out of froze ground. I had 2 degrees this morning. I am guessing being from Canada it freezes there too. Some stuff that works in the south, does not work in the north. I can not see an advantage in fighting them.
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
Some great advice here. But, a puller or winch will not pull a finned super stake out of froze ground. I had 2 degrees this morning. I am guessing being from Canada it freezes there too. Some stuff that works in the south, does not work in the north. I can not see an advantage in fighting them.

yep, once its frozen i way prefer re-rod. you can pretty much always twist it out of frozen ground. for me about the only time earth type anchors shine in the winter is on ice or if used as disposables.
Posted By: illinideer

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 03:47 PM

I tie a piece of flagging tape to mine and pull in early spring when the ground thaws out.
J
Posted By: BigBlackBirds

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/26/20 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by illinideer
I tie a piece of flagging tape to mine and pull in early spring when the ground thaws out.
J

i still find myself doing that. cant seem to convince myself to leave the chain and anchor. guess too cheap. but i sure try to not use them anymore than needed once it gets nasty. rather not spend my time going back retrieving them in the spring.
Posted By: Ron Marsh

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/27/20 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
I use my auger and drill down beside it. When the clay gets to hard for a drill I just unclip and go back after a good rain to retrieve. Some I just leave and reuse the next year.

North Western PA. Do Not leave cable in the ground from year to year. I will become brittle and cannot be trusted.
Posted By: Taximan

Re: Pulling Stakes - 10/27/20 03:19 PM

When the ground gets frozen hard,you won't pull them and an auger won't work either.It will only spin on top of the ground.In that country,I would use rebar stakes and vice grips to twist them out.I use a pry bar when near the truck.I can pull them all winter long.We have already had -5 degree temps here.Earth anchors,I wait till spring.I mark them with a length of orange bailing twine.It holds up well and isn't conspicuous.(more of a rust color,actually)
© 2024 Trapperman Forums