Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:05 AM

Yes!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:06 AM

We got a good one!
Posted By: warrior

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:07 AM

Here's hoping she's not another Roberts.

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:08 AM

I don't think she is but Roberts was touted as a good one as well.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
We got a food one!

Dang LL, I thought y'all Texans smoked beef not women. lol
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by J Staton
We got a food one!

Dang LL, I thought y'all Texans smoked beef not women. lol

I'll stand by LL.. She's very .........never mind. Smart! Very smart!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:15 AM

We got a food one!

I'm kind of hungry but I think you meant good

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:17 AM

Them Texans have a diff'rent way of talkin.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:21 AM

Give him a brake...he's just excited...lol...

Donnie
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:23 AM

Dumbocrat heads blowing up tonight. grin

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:30 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

grin
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:31 AM

No harm done though, they were already brain dead!

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:32 AM

Roberts just slide down 10 notches! Thank God.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

grin

smile grin laugh

This is a great thing for the U.S.A's future.
I sure hopes she "has a pulse" smile

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:36 AM

The dims pulse is strong right now...lol

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Mark June
Roberts just slide down 10 notches! Thank God.

YES!!!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:46 AM

Senator Susan Collins from Maine was the only Republican senator to vote no.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:50 AM

Great day for the constitutional Americans. MAGA

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

I'd love to hear some of our north woods members weigh in on this. I understand she is in a tight spot with her reelection campaign.
Even though I'm no fan of her rino record the other option is worse.

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:53 AM

How bout that!? Something good finally happened in 2020.......now to get Trump re-elected

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:54 AM

I cant wait for Gov. Mussolinis New York Safe Act to go to the Supreme court now and be found unconstitutional. :)Then he can stick it in his ear.
Posted By: Michael Morris

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:54 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 12:57 AM

Happy birthday Hillary,,,Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaa grin

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:04 AM

LOL

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:05 AM

I've got a few names I could call her
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:06 AM

I think it was great that she got voted in, but you never hear of 52 people all agreeing on the same issue. IF you ask 20 people on this forum what is the best trap for mink you would get 19 different answers. Only one republican voted no. I think every democrat voted NO. What B.S.

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

I've got a few names I could call her

Trump probly beat ya to it !! smile

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:15 AM

grin
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:17 AM

Great
Posted By: Posco

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:20 AM

Collins is in a tough spot because of her vote for Kavanaugh. Tens of millions of dollars have been spent trying to unseat her. McConnell likely knew he didn't need her vote and wants to salvage her campaign to help hold the Senate. I'm sure he gave her the green light.
Posted By: cbat

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:22 AM

I have high hopes for her.
Posted By: Posco

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:25 AM

Robert's has been neutralized.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:28 AM

Good Deal !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:36 AM

Good they can get reconditioned for November!

As far as my excuse I have big thumbs, a small phone, and I was all hopped up on patriotism ya daggum yankee haters!

grin

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:48 AM

Sure Lefty

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:54 AM

Good they can get reconditioned for November!

As far as my excuse I have big thumbs, a small phone, and I was all hopped up on patriotism ya daggum yankee haters!

grin

Plus frostbite.
It's cold in dem dar hills.

whistle
Posted By: white17

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
Robert's has been neutralized.

Roberts has been a little more than neutralized. He is between a rock and hard place now. We actually could see Justice Thomas taking on the role of Chief Justice..in a de facto sort of way.

Let's assume that on issue XYZ the court looks like it may split 5x3......Roberts can go with either side and make it 6x3 or 5x4. If he sides with the Majority, then HE can decide who writes the opinion...even assign it to himself.

If he votes with the Minority then Clarence Thomas...the most senior justice ......assigns the duty of writing the majority opinion.

Since Thomas is a lot bolder than Roberts .....that could be very good for the conservative side of the court and the country.........especially 2A !!
SOOOOOOOOOOOO Roberts will need to decide if he wants to stick it to Trump (if re-elected) or if he wants to control the wording of the written opinion. I suspect he will want to control the opinion to make it as vague and weak as possible.

Bottom line IMO is that this forces him to vote with the 5 conservatives more often
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:18 AM

What a great day. The Democrats you think would celebrate this. I just watched the swearing in of Amy C Barrett. It is the true American dream of hard work. You have an judge Thomas an African American. Swearing in a Woman Into the Supreme Court . It goes to show the Dems true meaning of the party. It is there way or no way. Red wave coming. Trump 2020
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:20 AM

white, How is it decided who casts what vote? Couldn't what you describe be the same for the other Justices?

I need a refresher I reckon.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:28 AM

At her swearing in, her acceptance speech told the Dumbos in Congress Exactly where she stood and put them in their place. Of course she told it in a nice way... so don't know if any of them will be able to grasp it.

Garry-
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Posco
Collins is in a tough spot because of her vote for Kavanaugh. Tens of millions of dollars have been spent trying to unseat her. McConnell likely knew he didn't need her vote and wants to salvage her campaign to help hold the Senate. I'm sure he gave her the green light.

This right here. Very strategic.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:34 AM

Her actual knowledge of the Constitution and the true intent may intimidate Roberts to the point he may concede the writing of majority decisions to her.

Garry-

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
white, How is it decided who casts what vote? Couldn't what you describe be the same for the other Justices?

I need a refresher I reckon.

Each justice has one vote. Whichever group has the majority....5 or more.....that is the side that writes the opinion and their view is the law.

Is that what you are asking ?

They can each vote however they want but only Roberts OR Thomas will decide who writes the opinion for the majority. If Roberts votes with the minority..he does not have a say in who writes the opinion. That is up to Thomas

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:47 AM

I understand Thomas, as he is the eldest, or has the most years. I don't understand Roberts. There are others who have been there longer. Right? If he does fall into the majority, why is it him and not another Justice?

The court is divided, but not in an official way.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:50 AM

Because Roberts is the Chief Justice.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:54 AM

The Chief Justice is appointed by the president and the chief appointment is lifetime.

After Rehnquist passed away(the former chief) Bush appointed Roberts to fill his open seat and appointed him as chief. I don't think bush had to appoint Roberts as chief but he chose to instead of an already sitting justice.

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 02:56 AM

Maybe a hypothetical.

Lets say a 2A case is being heard by SCOTUS. It appears that the vote will be 5 to 4 in favor of our side..
If Roberts votes with the libs...minority...then he has no control over who writes the majority opinion. That will be up to Thomas to decide since he is the senior justice on the majority side. He may even assign the writing to himself. We know he is by far the most 2A positive justice on the court. Roberts knows that too.

So Roberts may decide to cast his vote with the conservatives and make it a 6x3 decision. At this point Roberts assumes his Chief Justice role and assigns who writes the opinion........which will likely be him so he can water it down.

Roberts only has the CJ authority when he votes with the majority side. If he does not, then Thomas decides........if he's in the majority.

Conversely, Roberts could vote with the libs in a 4x5 decision that decides against 2A (not likely now) At that point he is in the majority on the liberal side and will control who writes the opinion for the liberal majority

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 04:12 AM

My understanding is that each justice retains the the right to offer a dissenting opinion if they so choose, as does the minority side. I believe that even a justice on the majority side could offer an opinion if he or she feels it pertinent to offer a differing route or legal basis.

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 04:14 AM

I believe the 2A case Barrett is known for was a similar type individual opinion.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 04:16 AM

I don’t know about all that stuff but I’m almost tired of winning......PSYCHE!!!!!!

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 05:16 AM

Ok I understand it now. I have wondered for years why Roberts seemed to have written so many. I did not know the Pres. appointed a Chief Justice. I assumed it was always the Senior Justice. Not in age but in time spent on the court.

Thank you all for clarifying this for me. I learned something I should have already known.

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by warrior
My understanding is that each justice retains the the right to offer a dissenting opinion if they so choose, as does the minority side. I believe that even a justice on the majority side could offer an opinion if he or she feels it pertinent to offer a differing route or legal basis.

That's correct. Each justice MAY write a dissent or a partial concurrence.
But the protocol I described above is in place to prevent the following.

Suppose again that the 2A case is decided 5 conservatives and 4 liberals.........with Roberts voting with the libs.

Under no system of rationality, fairness, equity, morality, etc........ SHOULD the chief justice on the LOSING side, either write or appoint someone to write the majority's opinion. We can easily envision Roberts choosing the weakest justice in the majority, or even one of the lib justices in the minority, to write for the majority. That would obviously cause nothing but turmoil down the road
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Barrett's in... - 10/27/20 01:24 PM

Thanks for laying it out Ken, I didnt know how they chose who writes the opinion. Thomas has been gold for conservatives, I think Amy will be the same. Best pick for Trump by far.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums