Home

Nebraska 2020

Posted By: WadeRyan

Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 02:44 AM

I've been dabbling a little bit getting started trapping this year. I'll try and keep as much photographic evidence going as I can on the Nebraska line this year. I also recently got a goPro so I've been doing a little recording out on the line. When life slows down a little bit here I'll try to add some videos to my youtube. I'm currently trapping a couple locations that we will have cattle on soon. So I am just taking out some coyotes before we put them on there. I'm running right at about a dozen traps just enough to keep me happy until the seasons open for everything else. I've already had to let out my fair share of animals that didn't include coyotes.

First night and first trap. Always good to get the first one out of the way. Interestingly I've been on another site and they were discussing pre-digging holes. I was on location scouting one day so I just dug a trap bed and a dirt hole. When I came back to set it about a week later I noticed this coyote had been there twice leaving droppings at the hole. No bait, lure, or urine on the empty hole. So I put a trap in front of it, bait, and quality urine. First time was a success.

[Linked Image]

This is a corn field that my father had seen a coyote carrying a rabbit by the grain cart and a second trying to catch another as they ran out of the corn. First night in I already had to release the first cat of the season. Nice Tom. A raccoon was the double next to it. I'm almost certain the raccoon probably was caught first and the cat had to come check out the ruckus. I can't say enough about Graham's Cat Creek. After taking a year off of it I'm excited to get it back in the ground. It's responsible for a large majority of my first night cat catches in the past and up to 7 cats off 40 acres in 10 days.

[Linked Image]

In typical fashion as soon as I decided to put a few traps out the weather came. I'm using nothing but peat moss/table salt. We had rain/sleet/snow and when the first picture was taken the windchill was down to around 9 degrees. If you dry it out completely it will get you through some pretty rough weather.

[Linked Image]

This brush pile has notoriously drawn the coyotes to it. I don't even know how many I've caught off of there in the past. The snow got them moving for sure.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I might try to get a few more out here soon. They're all popping and the coyotes are moving. It would be nice to run a full line about now as well as they are moving. For now I'm content just hitting these places I won't have access to soon and taking in the fresh air in the mornings.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 03:01 AM

Great pics and good luck. I hope to be in Nebraska this weekend and chase some grouse through the Sandhills and then get back home and finish prep for 20/21 season
Posted By: Flint Hill fur

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 03:05 AM

Good stuff Wade. Keep us in the loop
Posted By: silkyplainscoyot

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 03:39 AM

[quote=WadeRyan]I've been dabbling a little bit getting started trapping this year. I'll try and keep as much photographic evidence going as I can on the Nebraska line this year. I also recently got a goPro so I've been doing a little recording out on the line. When life slows down a little bit here I'll try to add some videos to my youtube. I'm currently trapping a couple locations that we will have cattle on soon. So I am just taking out some coyotes before we put them on there. I'm running right at about a dozen traps just enough to keep me happy until the seasons open for everything else. I've already had to let out my fair share of animals that didn't include coyotes.

First night and first trap. Always good to get the first one out of the way. Interestingly I've been on another site and they were discussing pre-digging holes. I was on location scouting one day so I just dug a trap bed and a dirt hole. When I came back to set it about a week later I noticed this coyote had been there twice leaving droppings at the hole. No bait, lure, or urine on the empty hole. So I put a trap in front of it, bait, and quality urine. First time was a success.

I've been doing the pre-digging and driving a pilot hole for anchor for quite a few years so I can still set the spot when everything freezes up. I've had the pre dug spot wreak of coyote urine or have a dropping by it. It's almost a guaranteed set. I believe you precondition the coyote. They have smelled you there once before and haven't encountered any danger so it feels relatively safe the next time when it encounters an active set.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 03:45 AM

Wish I was starting a fur line in NE. Need to get back there in years to come. Just something about those dogs and that air and that country!
What part are you trapping Wade?
I usually head north of Thedford 25 miles or out to Crawford. Thedford has way more dogs!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 04:10 AM

Silky yes there was a lot of discussion on whether you were wasting your time and whether the intrigue would wear off. I've pre-dug multiple holes in the past because at some point our ground generally becomes concrete with 6 inches of frost which makes it pretty difficult to make any type of hole. I had just been reading the discussion and thought why not I'm here I'll just pop a set in for the heck of it. Obviously the intrigue never wore off it was his at least third trip to the set in a week that I can confirm. Maybe more. I caught a coon in the remake the second night as it snowed. A second coyote came and tangled pretty well with him. I just reset the trap today hopefully his intrigue remains the same as well.

Mark I'm clear down in the southeastern part of the state. I've hit some mange right off the bat. I've killed eight coyotes in three checks running my dozen traps but I've only skinned two. Not good but honestly at this point they aren't worth much anyways. Both pups I've skinned have been blue. I'm trapping locations that my dad intends to drop our cattle on. He's been harvesting and is way behind getting them on stalks. In the next couple weeks the fields I am on now will be covered in Angus so I am just cleaning up some coyotes to ease the calving that will begin in February.

It's just enough to scratch the itch and it's much better than sitting at home staring at the wall. There's no shortage of coyotes this year for sure. I've seen plenty of tracks in the day since the weather came along. I'm trapping a hog unit that's notoriously packed with mange. There's usually 1-2 good ones out of the bunch. It's too bad the coons aren't worth much this year. The ones I've let out of the coyote sets have been some of the best coons I've probably ever caught. Nice black/silver.

A guy could have really put a hurting on the coyotes this week if they'd had a large line out. I've done well with just my small collection. I might add a couple stops as November gets here. I'm not in a real big hurry to start dropping a load of them yet. Still got some work to finish up before I can really enjoy the season too.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 09:22 AM

great ,keep it going smile
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 10:19 AM

Great start wade, thank you for sharing!
Jim
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 09:55 PM

Looks like a great way to crack out this fall! Nicely done
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 10:01 PM

Enjoy your posts throughout the season! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 11:18 PM

Fourth check this morning. Two more coyotes. Up to 10 coyotes in four checks. I’ve only brought three home that were worth looking at.

Another hog unit special. I had seen tracks in the snow and couldn’t get this one to commit. I added some of Keg Creeks Mamba to two of the dirtholes. It’s a lure I tested for Marty and I don’t believe it’s on his website yet. Definitely a good change up I don’t use lure often but there was a day a coyote worked the sets but not enough. This morning I found out why. Old male pair with nothing but gums. Three leg coyote which explains why I was having troubles getting him. Unfortunately covered in mange.

[Linked Image]

Finally what I like seeing here in Nebraska. First coyote of the year that wasn’t blue. He made the ride home. Was caught in the remake on the double from yesterday. I’ll probably expand a bit Friday as our season will be coming in soon on everything else. Twelve sets was just enough to scratch the itch.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/28/20 11:22 PM

I was lucky enough to find a fancy sandhills coyote roadkilled early this morning. Dropped him off at the skinner's tonight.
Posted By: rpmartin

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 12:19 AM

Great job wade, too bad about the mange but it is what it is. Clean em out to the point the coyotes start waving the white flag. Lol
Great time to figure out some of the finer points to Wiley trapping .
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 12:25 AM

Good job Wade. That last yote looks pretty good! It always comes back to one thing....you can't sell em if you don't catch em! I gotta go see the grandkids on turkey day, so I'm not gonna get to wound up till then, but I may sneak out and set a few like you have! grin
Posted By: Matt(rat killer)

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 12:55 AM

I’ve got gear ready to go. I’ll be leaving for Nebraska Friday after turkey day. Hopefully Wade will have all the ice, snow and rain cleared out for my arrival. I’ve never trapped there in totally dry conditions.
I haven’t even set a trap yet here in Indiana. We’ve had rain since the season came in and there’s another 3+ inches on the way.
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 01:08 AM

Awesome! Great pics and nice looking coyotes.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 02:31 AM

Nice work Wade. Ive been dabbling out west also, but just had over a foot of snow dropped and negative temps on Friday - Sunday and going to be mid 50° tomorrow so a few muddy days and frozen nights in my future. Not all bad though we really needed the moisture, and will be easier to bed traps in than dry powdered dirt. Getting some decent yotes on this end, best of luck.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Fourth check this morning. Two more coyotes. Up to 10 coyotes in four checks. I’ve only brought three home that were worth looking at.

Another hog unit special. I had seen tracks in the snow and couldn’t get this one to commit. I added some of Keg Creeks Mamba to two of the dirtholes. It’s a lure I tested for Marty and I don’t believe it’s on his website yet. Definitely a good change up I don’t use lure often but there was a day a coyote worked the sets but not enough. This morning I found out why. Old male pair with nothing but gums. Three leg coyote which explains why I was having troubles getting him. Unfortunately covered in mange.

[Linked Image]

Finally what I like seeing here in Nebraska. First coyote of the year that wasn’t blue. He made the ride home. Was caught in the remake on the double from yesterday. I’ll probably expand a bit Friday as our season will be coming in soon on everything else. Twelve sets was just enough to scratch the itch.

[Linked Image]

Man-o-man, I miss your country. Just a great start to trap coyotes in.
Bummer about the mange. I thought that had worked through pretty well in most of the state but it's rearing its head again?

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 03:58 AM

Mark, don't take this as gospel grin I'm thinking (from my last forty years) that mange has to cycle through the population at least every five years, till it finially gets wiped out! I saw yotes die down to where the fox and cats got quite plentiful, twice in my life. Several years there I didn't hear a yote for a long time, then be good coyotes for a season when they came back, and the next year it would start all over again. I hate mange, one of the saddest afflictions that critters can get!

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 04:01 AM

Good advice Lee,

I plan to trap my NE fur line again fall of 2022 Lord willing so I hope north central NE doesn't have too much mange then.
I remember how bad it was about 6-7 years ago. I wait early because I couldn't run all day to toss 6 outta 10 dogs.

Stay well out there and good luck brother staying healthy ya old fart.
Wait a minute. I'm on Lee's bus!!!

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 04:10 AM

Not to be a pessimist Mark, but one out of the eight I have caught also had mange. I have not caught or shot any with mange in my area for over five years, hope its just a fluke. Time will tell..

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 05:15 AM

Well geez.
Hope mange isn't rearing its head again and coming back into the coyotes in a big way.
We need you all to catch the dickens outta them and keep 'em thinned back good and healthy.
Good luck!

Blessings,
Mark

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 08:54 AM

I can’t say I’ve ever seen the mange completely leave this hog unit. Same thing every year. The compost pile makes for an easy meal for the sick ones. I caught one last year a 1/2 mile over that was pure bald by the end of November. I’m only trapping the three locations right now because dad will have cows on the stalks this year. If I don’t trap them now I won’t.

For what it’s worth I’ve caught all 10 within three miles. I’m hoping it’s just an isolated thing as it has been in the past. Friday I’ll spread out to some new country and see if I can get into some worth keeping.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 09:28 AM

dang wade 10 with in 3 miles that's a lot of coyote 's in a small area

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 10:04 AM

There’s many more than that. Why the mange is so prevalent. There’s a 25x50 “compost” pile over the hill from the mangiest ones. Full of dead hogs and soil. I find the coyotes wherever the big production is.

Last time Matt was here we started on a heifer feedlot that’s full of breeding milk cows. The first day we got there we counted 7 sets of tracks in the snow. By the end of the week it looked like a deer trail coming to the feedlot. I’m lazy I prefer the coyotes come to me.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 10:48 AM

Wade, good thread. Enjoy the work you have done your Youtube. It is fun to see different country.
Posted By: Mac

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 10:53 AM

silkyplainscoyot

"I've been doing the pre-digging and driving a pilot hole for anchor for quite a few years so I can still set the spot when everything freezes up. I've had the pre dug spot wreak of coyote urine or have a dropping by it. It's almost a guaranteed set. I believe you precondition the coyote. They have smelled you there once before and haven't encountered any danger so it feels relatively safe the next time when it encounters an active set."

Good to see you posting. Your advice is good solid old school advice.

Mac

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 11:10 AM

Nice work wade! grin
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
There’s many more than that. Why the mange is so prevalent. There’s a 25x50 “compost” pile over the hill from the mangiest ones. Full of dead hogs and soil. I find the coyotes wherever the big production is.

Last time Matt was here we started on a heifer feedlot that’s full of breeding milk cows. The first day we got there we counted 7 sets of tracks in the snow. By the end of the week it looked like a deer trail coming to the feedlot. I’m lazy I prefer the coyotes come to me.

always a good plan
Posted By: Wife

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 01:19 PM

You're learn'in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You will catch a lot more coyotes near (w/i 2-4 miles of) confinements or feedlots (hog, cattle, chickens). But a very high percentage will be infected with either sarcoptic or dermodectic (red) mange. Its much easier for them to make a living there....... especially pups (check their teeth)............. the mike

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Wife
You're learn'in,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, You will catch a lot more coyotes near (w/i 2-4 miles of) confinements or feedlots (hog, cattle, chickens). But a very high percentage will be infected with either sarcoptic or dermodectic (red) mange. Its much easier for them to make a living there....... especially pups (check their teeth)............. the mike

The last mangy male from the hog unit had nothing but gums a couple worn teeth and three legs. He’s been around the block a time or two.

Finally, a keeper from the hog unit. Looked good and cleaned up well (it didn’t freeze last night).

[Linked Image]

I have a fair amount of people ask me what I do for sets. So I figured I’d snap a shot. Dirtholes over and over. Nothing special. Bait or at times a change up lure down the hole. Urine on the back. In and out. This is the remake from this morning.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 02:54 PM

That is one sneaky dirt hole remake!
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 02:56 PM

Walkin the dog, kickin the cat- trappin dry land is where it's at! grin

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 10/29/20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Walkin the dog, kickin the cat- trappin dry land is where it's at! grin

You’re not going to find me in the water! Unless it’s coming over the bank onto the cropland! Even the beaver I kill get snared when they hit dry land.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/01/20 03:45 AM

I know coyotes still have to eat but man as usual that full moon has put the breaks on the line. I had one check with absolutely nothing. No sets worked. Just empty. I set two more locations since I’ve caught what I would say is most of the local coyotes in three miles. Still some to stumble in I’m sure.

Even with highs in the 60’s and the moon I was able to catch a couple raccoons and one good looking pup on the first night. Today was the last get out of jail free ticket I’ll give out this year. Unless I stumble on another cat everything will be going to sleep here on out.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/01/20 04:26 AM

Lookin good wade thanks for sharing, I’m enjoying reading your post and seeing your pics
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/01/20 04:49 AM

Posted By: Boco

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/01/20 05:06 AM

Good job on the coyotes.
Too bad about the mange but at least you're doing them a favor whacking them.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/01/20 10:30 AM

Mac, thanks on the youtube. I really have no clue what I am doing. I made a joke if my wife bought me a go-pro I'd strap it to my head and go toe to toe with a raccoon. She bought me one for my birthday this year but I haven't got the gumption to enter the circle just yet. I do enjoy recording some things I think it will be neat to have something my kids can watch as they get a little older. My five year old is really starting to show some interest in the animal aspect...I have waited on him I had my daughter out on the line since she was two. She's about to turn nine this year...the time flies. I named it Workingtrapper and that's about to apply. I have a run here of about 7 days straight....two providers in our urgent care have tested positive for Covid...so it's slim pickings. I've been told I'm up. I was really hoping to hold off until the 14th so I'd have a month straight off work.

Michael thanks I will try to keep it updated as time allows. It's nice to look back at these posts as the year goes by and look at what I've done. I'll admit the nice thing about working night shift is I am able to take better pictures than I usually could. Up until about three years ago I was straight days and often ran the trapline at 2-3 a.m. before work. Now I usually get off at 0700 so it's the perfect time to take some nice pictures as the sun comes up. I have had to run the line a couple times in the very early morning on my days off due to things I had to get done so there's no pictures or videos of those couple days (there's just something not as fitting when you have to take a pic or vid in the headlights). It never does the coyotes justice.

My body definitely felt the first week back in the game. I workout daily but there's no workout you can do that prepares you to swing a hammer that much, walk those miles in the uneven ground, or just carry all the gear around. I'm eating like a horse and still losing weight. It's a great problem to have. I've noticed the last few years I don't want to kill too many coyotes in a day. I don't have my machine set up to pull the coyotes very well and I often would tear the flanks (I know this can be avoided I just haven't had ambition to change the machine) so I still pull all my coyotes by hand. The blisters have turned to callouses already so it's good to go.

I'm patiently awaiting the sun to come up today. I only added two farms and the movement is pretty slow here but even a slow morning on the small line is better than a day at work. I can see about 200 yards out into the horizon right now that moon sure is bright. Today is the day I won't have to spend time letting every raccoon, possum, or skunk (yes I had to let one out alive and it was a good time) anymore. That should speed up the process. My forecast looks like about 6-8 days of no rain and it might be time to get out and move a bit more despite the lack of sleep.

Boco, yes it's too bad I agree though. I'm actually doing them a favor. I've caught plenty of them in December/Early January that looked as though they were begging me to put them out of their misery. Mother nature sure can be cruel. I'm taking care of them before they have to go down that road.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/01/20 11:02 AM

Good luck on the check, wade. Heading out in couple hours to run my 26th marathon. I'd rather run traps but hey, whatever. Its actually only a half today in Lincoln, my 2nd this year. Today is official trapping opener, always a special day. I had some coffee on the deck...moon is really bright! Heard a dog yip yapping in distance...between sounds like that and your posts...man...can't hardly wait. Im not setting until after thanksgiving though. Wow thats a ways off yet. Going to wear out the garage floor pacing.
Go get em wade...but save me a couple dogs, ha ha.
Jim

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/01/20 11:20 AM

keep going wade ,great post

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/03/20 11:11 AM

Well, they’ve fenced me out of one location. They built the fence around this caught badger and dropped 100 head of cattle on it. I knew it was coming. Pull and move on. These guys sure can move the earth.

[Linked Image]

Been whoppin the coons even with the full moon. This warm has them running. Put in some blind sets and am picking them off before they get to the coyote sets.

Dad called me last night. They were drilling cover crop into one of the fields I had 5 sets in. Going to have to go hunting for them soon. It’s always nice to not have rain or snow but it lets the farmers go crazy. So far this year no ones buried any with anhydrous or dirt work. I can usually find them when they drill the cover crop pretty easy. Sometimes it doesn’t even fire my step downs.

Saw a road kill deer yesterday. Going to see if she’s still there today and am picking up some beaver carcasses from a member here. Time to do some baiting down south. Set a feedlot so we’ll see how that goes.

They’ve tested every provider, receptionist, and nurse at the express care here in town that’s worked in the last week. I’m the only provider and only employee for that matter in the last week that came back negative for Covid and is a asymptomatic. They even ran the antibody on me because everyone has been positive. Still negative. So they’re bringing in some outside secretaries and nurses. I’m going to be busy this week. I work overnight Thursday and Friday so they might have to close the clinic.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/05/20 01:48 AM

Coon catch caught up with the coyote catch today. That’s okay. I skinned my first two of the year. 4x boars. The rest haven’t made the cut. The moon is going out and I’m ready. Having some issues with cows and cover crop so some traps are sitting a night idle and not producing. So far they’ve only totally killed one trap. I’ll take that as a win.

I plan to go till we get some heavy rain then take a little break. Maybe shoot a deer for the first time in 11 years. Coyotes are looking good. Finally out of the mange for now. I don’t plan to run more than 16 traps until I’m ready to really let loose. Probably after rifle season.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/05/20 03:29 AM

Sure enjoying this thread, Nebraska born, living in Alaska!

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/05/20 11:00 AM

Much nicer looking southeastern NE dogs, Wade. Good job!
Jim
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/05/20 11:49 AM

Looking good can’t wait so catch some song dogs if my own
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/05/20 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Sure enjoying this thread, Nebraska born, living in Alaska!

Where were you born? City or small town?

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/05/20 09:32 PM

Omaha

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/22/20 05:47 AM

One week from today Matt will be in town and we will have 10-14 days of trapping fun. I haven't had any traps in the ground now for a while. Rather than fight the deer hunters this year I just pulled what I had out.

Weird weather for sure this year. Looks like we will have highs in the 50's and lows just barely under freezing. Instead of the usual ice and snow there's just a touch of rain this week the way it looks. I've got some mixed feelings about it. It will be nice to not have to worry about a foot of snow or ice but following our rifle season that will end Monday and above average temperatures we are going to have to be right on top of them to make it happen. I don't anticipate they'll be covering much ground plus the full moon will be coming back in December 1st...just in time for cats but it's the only thing I don't see decreased animal movement in.

One thing is for sure we are going to give it our best run and trap from before daylight till the sun goes down. Life is good that way no matter what the catch is. I did get a call this morning from a landowner. I've been trying to get on the property for a number of years as it's loaded with bobcats. Another guy I've trapped cats with off and on over the years took 8 cats in six days on the property that adjoins it. Finally, the coyotes were enough to get the call. He watched five coyotes chasing a wounded yearling doe across the property. He called and said it's time to do some clean up. Fifty pictures a week of coyotes and the most in one picture was six. He said he didn't want me to target the cats but if they end up in coyote sets so be it....I can live with that.

I also got a call from a deer hunter that said he'd seen a couple coyotes in the same spot on a pasture all week as he was leaving his stand. Thought I might be interested to check it out. I was happy to find the end result. It's more than two coyotes. They have the pasture down to the dirt where they've been coming and going. Should make for some fast catches.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/29/20 11:56 PM

We’ve got a good run going on weather. Matt came to town and we’ve set for 12 hours a day the last two days. Wind blew pretty hard today and made things interesting. The full moon has things slow but we haven’t caught any coons the first two checks. I can’t believe it but it’s been amazing.

We have some riders the next couple days and I think we’ll have the last five places set tomorrow. Then will have to get the cat gear out and see if we can snag him a cat or two before he goes back to Indiana. We’ve got two weeks to have at it.

Probably the most coyote sign I’ve ever seen and cats where I’ve never seen cats before. Ground is finally drying up and it looks like we get below freezing tonight! Maybe it’ll light a spark. Here’s a couple pics so far. It’s been perfect.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/30/20 12:47 AM

Excellent work guys. The wind was awful all day long.
Jim
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/30/20 01:16 AM

Good lookin stuff.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/30/20 03:08 AM

It has been great weather, but a little slow. Need a couple fronts to shake em up. Your right, perhaps tonight's cold temps will be the ticket! Great pics, thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/30/20 05:15 AM

Great pics!
Posted By: PineDoggin

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 11/30/20 10:51 AM

Great job keep them coming

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/01/20 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
Good lookin stuff.

You can jump in the truck any day you have off.

We set for cats a bit yesterday. Season comes in this morning. I’ll be setting for cats all day today. I’m down to a few coyote sets I’ll save for when we start getting more catch circles. Matt still has a fair number to get out. We are down to two farms we haven’t touched yet.

We’ve got a beaver that’s blocked up the pond spillway and has water running over the outside corner of the dike. Farmer asked me to try to get them. Matt is going to do his water thing today there. I’m definitely mainly a land trapper. Lol.

Looking to be another fun but long day. I started to see dust in the rear view mirror again yesterday so that’s a plus.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Caught this cat on a high bank intended for coyotes. It’s loose in the picture. Hung around for quite a bit of time. We had a rider with us and I think this made his day worth it. They are my favorite thing to catch for sure he was wondering which one of us she was going to take first.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/01/20 11:15 AM

Just got caught up on your channel Wade, can't wait to see more

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/02/20 11:51 PM

Moon has em pretty slow but they are trickling in. We’ve been setting cat traps now. Have two cat toilets set. Even though our cats typically take 7-10 days to come around I think we will get a shot or two at them. The weather has been phenomenal.

We’ve got one location that’s got trail camera footage of coyotes often but they’re just ignoring us. He’s having a problem with them killing his deer so I think I’m going to have to go after them a little different. They’re walking right on past dirtholes. I don’t like swaying from routine but this guy has been nothing but pleasant and I’d like to clean up some yotes for him.

Caught one horribly mangy coyote today. Otherwise they have looked amazing. The raccoons are starting to wake up. Catching one here and there but they haven’t run hard yet. I hope it stays that way. I named this one pork chop. He’s been well fed. I’m about 5’10 205lbs.

[Linked Image]

Some more snaps

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/03/20 02:38 AM

Wade: thanks for the pics, love following you on the line!
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/03/20 03:10 AM

All nice catches and pictures.Congrats

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/03/20 03:18 AM

Good job on the yotes, Wade! Keep at em.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/06/20 09:43 PM

Couldn’t ask for better weather for an enjoyable time on the line. We’ve been plugging away the raccoons are waking up which has made for long days. It’s been one of the funnest years I’ve had on the line. We are still killing some coyotes.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/06/20 09:46 PM

Coyotes have slowed down a bit but the cat catches have picked up the last couple nights. Also picking up Matt’s favorites those digging creatures.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/06/20 09:49 PM

I’m not going to lie I love catching coyotes but I’ll take three a day cat catches over as many coyotes as you’d want to throw at me. They are by far my favorite thing to catch.

[Linked Image]

Matt found himself a few of the biggest raccoons I’ve ran into as of late.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/06/20 11:10 PM

Great pics as always, thanks for sharing.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/07/20 02:15 AM

Congratulations WR
I like those cats
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/07/20 03:44 AM

Looks like you're really getting after them. Have any pictures of some of your sets before they catch? I find micro location my most difficult part of dirt hole trapping and was wondering what your sets look like as my terrain is about similar to yours in places from the looks of it. Wondering how you set some of those spots and blend the trap.
Posted By: wildlifeartist1

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/07/20 02:39 PM

Need Badgers

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/07/20 11:25 PM

NDnative I took two pics of sets I put in today. They’re the same over and over. Found another cat. Couple coyotes. The liquid gold out of this cat was perfect.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/08/20 06:05 AM

Great pics

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/08/20 06:20 AM

Surprised at the number of yotes who look like they are ready to take you on!

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/08/20 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by martentrapper
Surprised at the number of yotes who look like they are ready to take you on!

We’ve caught a fair number of adult males. They always seem to want to eat us.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last female today had a heck of a belly. Little sandy in the pic.
[Linked Image]

Farmer beat us to one. We were about 2 miles off and heard the shot. He was putting up fence. He said “you guys killed a nice big old coyote around the bend.” He meant he did. Shotgun to the shoulder. He was good and dead.

[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/08/20 10:54 PM

Nice work, been following your videos

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/09/20 01:08 AM

Good job wade!
Pulled all of mine Sunday night, get my MRI Friday morning to see what the damage is.
Noah is still skinning, had a great week on the dogs!
Jim
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/09/20 01:30 AM

Looks like your having tons of fun Wade. A lot of hard work, but still fun I bet. Congrats. The dry weather is a big plus.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/09/20 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by NebrCatMan
Looks like your having tons of fun Wade. A lot of hard work, but still fun I bet. Congrats. The dry weather is a big plus.

Johnny you might have to give your name up! Just kidding. The weather has been good. Caught cat number nine this morning. I’d love to keep running them all winter.

Jim it’s too bad about your shoulder I hope you’re on the mend soon.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/09/20 11:21 PM

That's an awesome looking bobcat, looks like a little leopard.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/11/20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
That's an awesome looking bobcat, looks like a little leopard.

Definitely catching some pretty cats. We pulled the line yesterday. Ended up catching bobcat 10 and 11. Matt got on a couple coyotes. I had one on a set that sat for 12 days untouched. I’ve spent the day getting my life back in order. Back to the real world tomorrow.

I’m not sure if I’ll have time to make a run at some more. Ended up snuffing out 39 coyotes total, 11 cats, and a pile of raccoons. I’d love to see how many cats I could keep going. They were mainly caught on different properties and I didn’t have any cat remakes catch a second. It’s the most population I’ve seen in a number of years. I caught cats in locations I’ve never seen a cat track.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/11/20 10:08 PM

Wade how do the Cats you catch do in the Fur market?

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/11/20 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by PineDoggin
Wade how do the Cats you catch do in the Fur market?

I’ve had cats in the past grade all over the board. I had one season I had three cats caught within 20 miles of each other. They graded northern, north central, and one western. I’ve had my best luck selling them to people for mounts. Usually $100-150 for the man cave basement type.

On the actual for market maybe $80-160? I’ve skinned all of them this year and plan to tan them. I don’t know that I’ll sell any.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/11/20 11:06 PM

Nice, Still pretty good

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/14/20 11:28 PM

Trying to talk myself into a few more cats. Going to go cruise the countryside tomorrow and see if there’s any tracks. We’ve had a few days of snow. Might set up a couple dozen traps on tracks and wait. See how long it takes them to return.

I did this a season or two back in the snow. Checked empty sets for 10 days. On the 10th day I caught three cats. None had been worked in the snow before that. We shall see if I still have the patience. Might have to throw in a couple coyote sets to make it worth while.
Posted By: cfowler

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/14/20 11:34 PM

Nice run! Some really nice cats!

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/15/20 12:39 AM

Nice run Wade!!! I am kinda a has been on being a big number trapper. Unless when I retire and maybe I will figure out something on my back situation. I'll always keep my NebrCatMan identity but you need to come up with a good one for U.. Something like NebrCatWizard, or ProCatCatcher,,,,, something unique and catchy. I love your pictures and it certainly looks like you pretty much have graduated from trapping school at the head of your class. Enjoy it.... things can change health wise and critter wise. But I do love your pictures. Someday when Dave and I stop to look down that steel hole I would really love to shake your hand and congratulate you in person. Maybe you could be the one to get an outdoor day going around Beatrice with some trapping demos for the kids. A few years ago the J.A.K.E.S day was a big hit for the kids. Gage county needs something like that again. I did hear about a group doing trapping and outdoors demos last spring in NW Saline county. Hopefully the church I work with in Fairbury/Hebron and also the Saline County PF will do their thing for the kids this year...... in co vid ain't around ! Congrats
Posted By: wildlifeartist1

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/15/20 02:40 AM

Sure would like to get some of those Bobcat skins to mount
[Linked Image]

PM me

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/15/20 09:42 PM

Really did a pretty good number on the coyotes. There’s a couple locations that some dirthole were blown out. Not many. A few of the locations didn’t even have a single set. There’s been snow on the ground for four days. I’d say we cleaned up the locals pretty well.

I was able to find a couple sets of cat tracks and one set in particular I’d like to meet the Tom on the other end. I think I’ll set a couple dozen tomorrow to scratch the itch.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/23/20 07:47 PM

Been a fun time on the short line. I’m on about 8 miles of ground just a quick run after work most mornings. I’ve set all the traps on cat tracks or toilets so now it’s just a waiting game. Set a few coyote specific sets where there were still tracks in the snow. Only problem to get to the ground I have to drive about 20 miles one way. Sure would be nice if the cats were concentrated right outside town. It’s been a nice daily drive for me though and pretty relaxing.

I’ve cleaned out most of what’s left of the non targets raccoons and possums. So now it’s just wait time. I’ve got about a week before we’re going to get up to 12 inches of snow. I think even though we can go till February 28th my season will end at that time. Coyotes should be breaking down soon and I’m not all that interested in plowing through snow drifts to say I did it. As of today a total of 41 coyotes, 12 bobcats, two red fox, and 5 badgers off my usual trapping grounds. I’ve saved some critters. That doesn’t even include the raccoons and possums which have been more than willing to plug up my sets this season.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/23/20 07:59 PM

Had a section that had some kickbacks in the snow. We’d already killed four coyotes out of it but I reset and got a couple more. Six less coyotes here and the farmer is calving in February in the other half of the section. He was happy to see them go.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Only the second red this season. I didn’t trap much around the abandoned farms that hold what little fox we have. I let this guy go. Can’t see killing him for $8. First critter that got me hooked on trapping years ago and I’ll keep as many around as I can.

[Linked Image]

Bobcat #12. Was actually on coyote tracks leading to one of my bait sites. Had a number of coyote tracks but it was a pretty flashy dirthole in the snow. Nonetheless I was happy to see this Tom. That makes eight out of 12 cats caught on different locations. They are definitely spreading out.

[Linked Image]

It’s currently snowing and blowing about 40 mph. Luckily just a skiff. Nothing moved in the wind last night so I’m hoping for some serious movement when it stops. Full moon is coming and I’ve got the traps functioning and where they need to be. We went from 60 degrees to a high of 28 tomorrow and a low in the teens. It could get good. I wish I’d had more time to get a bigger line out.
Posted By: yote_trapper20

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 12:27 AM

What portion of Nebraska if you don't mind me asking? Looks like you're doing pretty good so far this year. I'm in the far East Central area and while we do have some cats to be found in the area I wish we had more than what we do.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 12:41 AM

Southeast. I usually catch 1-3 cats a year. Few and far between. I’ve had a few years where I’ve caught more. It’s been a good year. I can’t say I’ve ever found a cat toilet before this year and so far I’ve found three.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 01:21 AM

Great pics again. Blowing like the dickens here at home.... by Swanton. Had a buddy call in a cat last nite somewhere by Beatrice or over towards Filley. Some of your earlier cats you caught Wade looked to be pretty much way out in the open. Or just the cameral angle?

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by NebrCatMan
Great pics again. Blowing like the dickens here at home.... by Swanton. Had a buddy call in a cat last nite somewhere by Beatrice or over towards Filley. Some of your earlier cats you caught Wade looked to be pretty much way out in the open. Or just the cameral angle?

I’ve caught them all in the open on coyote dirtholes so far. The sets with cat lure etc seem to be plugged often with raccoons or possum. I haven’t caught one in a cat specific or toilet set yet.

John Graham’s cat creek and coyote urine for the first 11. The last cat was on cat creek and keg creek’s pacific call down the hole. I added the pacific call on all of the 24 I have out. Caught the two coyotes and fox on it too. We will see what happens when the wind stops tonight. I expect things to move well but maybe not. I’m on location that’s for sure have to love snow.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 11:51 AM

great pic. thanks for sharing
Posted By: ksp107

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 03:14 PM

Love your posts Wade... Sure is some beautiful country out there!

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 10:37 PM

Number 13 is kind of a cool cat. Caught a skunk three days ago in the exposed set. First cat specific set that produced exposed. We got snow and you could see where the cat came and rolled on the ground where the skunk was caught. Then it fell for some of Graham’s tomcat.

This property is up against what used to be 360 acres of my grandma’s land. She died about four years ago and she had the ground set for auction so there would be no family disputes. The rest of my family is big into deer and she knew it would be a war so she simply just sold it (she was a smart woman). She also had Christmas Eve every year for as long as I’ve been alive chili and chicken noodle soup. You had to eat both you couldn’t pick one they were both amazing.

Only fitting on Christmas Eve this cat is literally a couple feet onto her old property on the drag. Was a good day.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/24/20 10:58 PM

As always great post and pics.

Re: Nebraska 2020 - 12/29/20 10:58 PM

We can go till the end of February in our state for bobcats. I caught a couple more coyotes off the ground and there really just isn’t much action at a lot of the locations. I guess I did my job. Even started to catch some fox at the end. I love catching bobcats but back to work 48-60 hours a week it’s hard to keep going.

They were forecasting snow (which came) a nice wet heavy snow. I held off as long as I could pulling traps right up until the first flake fell in the middle of the night. The cats cover a lot of ground in our country and it’s a waiting game unless you’re covering a large area which I don’t have a whole lot of time to do.

Should be a fair number of deer, turkeys, pheasants, and quail that have a little easier spring. I was happy I caught my best looking bobcat of the year on the final pull! Cat number #14. No other sets were worked by anything at all. Slim pickings. I watched coyotes, deer, and raccoons cross the roads in front of me all night. They were all trying to beat the storm like me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
© 2024 Trapperman Forums