Home

News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection

Posted By: trapperinfo

News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 09:00 PM

Management should now go back to the states which is great. I do not believe in getting rid of all wolves but definitely lowering and managing the population.

https://www.startribune.com/gray-wolf-loses-endangered-species-act-protections/572911931/

[Linked Image]

Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 09:09 PM

6K wolves nationwide??
There's 3K in Wisconsin alone!!
Posted By: TheSandman

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 09:38 PM

I'm willing to take a few out in the UP

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by DuxDawg
6K wolves nationwide??
There's 3K in Wisconsin alone!!

That's why having them off of the Federal Endangered Species List is so important and allowing states to manage wolves with hunting and trapping.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 10:13 PM

If this moves forward well, lets not screw it up again and again. The good thing is that much research and observation has taken place while the suspension of harvesting has been taking place. The more science knows about wolves and wolf management the better off we will be in keeping a harvest as part of the management program. I am guessing that the heavy wolf population areas of MN, WI and MI are very similar in their ecology, species etc. and thus a decent regional management plan or goals can be put together. There are tribal lands that are a large part of the picture and a whole lot of public land be it federal, state or county as well. To me the first objective with a harvest plan should be to determine the "appropriate" population for the prime wolf habitat areas. Trimming that population will slow the dispersal of wolves into the higher human and agriculture regions where depredation increases significantly. We as harvesters also need to be willing to harvest in those marginal areas where populations are lower but interaction greater. That means more work and effort on the part of trappers and hunters.

Bryce
Posted By: Hatchetman

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 10:26 PM

It sounds really good!
But I have a bad feeling here in Wi, our state law makers along with our DNR will somehow, someway foil this...
I'll make an estimate the Wi Liberal DNR comes up with an insult for a wolf season.
Meaning, something stupid like a 25 wolf quota for the whole state just so they can say
"there.. you have your wolf season now..."

I hope I am wrong, but I'll believe it when I see a sensible, population controlling season.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 10:45 PM

I doubt much that the quota will be below what it was when the season opened years ago. What needs to be done is how to manage the harvest in the areas where there are a lot of wolves and those are the areas where they want the higher populations. During the last seasons some of those zones were overharvested in 2 days. That situation needs to be addressed and managed. We had zones that never closed as the wolf population was lower, more distributed and harder to target but in the more agriculture areas. That is why I am hoping that we at least address the population numbers and maybe goals from a regional bases first and then go to more state and local plans.

Bryce
Posted By: EdP

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 11:16 PM

It's all good until the bunny huggers get an activist judge to put a stay on the removal.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by EdP
It's all good until the bunny huggers get an activist judge to put a stay on the removal.

Sad but true
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 11:28 PM

Delisting is a good thing. Maybe it will stick this time. Protected wolves and livestock is never a good idea.
Posted By: warrior

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/29/20 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper
Originally Posted by EdP

Sad but true

Trump has shown the way, time for us to drain the state and local swamps!

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:18 AM

I wonder if the moose population now makes an incredible comeback......
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:22 AM

Our AG led the charge that stopped it before don't be surprised if you hear her name for the 2nd time
Posted By: Cragar

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:24 AM

Originally Posted by EdP

Sad but true

I remember when they stopped giving the manatees protection in Florida. The 'Save the manatee ' club had a fit. They raised a stink , filled lawsuits etc. The manatees had recovered , sometimes because of warm water outflows of nuclear power plants that helped them through the winter months. The save the manatee club was upset they couldn't no longer shut down certain waterways and restrict travel on others to a crawl and other tyrannical restrictions. For the record , I am all for manatees. Good animals , due respect on their survival.

What this boiled down to was the loss of funds and contributions to save the manatee. Their money flow stopped almost overnight. Also loss of tyrannical restrictions and control over waterways and fishing areas. Follow the money and tyrannical control. This will be true for wolves as well.
Posted By: Moosetrot

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 01:09 AM

I can hardly wait to see how Wisconsin Governor Tony Evers (aka the Crypt Keeper) handles this. All I know is that I have 3 Preference Points.

Moosetrot
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by warrior

Trump has shown the way, time for us to drain the state and local swamps!

This!
And for so many reasons too.
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 01:43 AM

^^^^^^^^this ^^^^^
Posted By: trapperman222

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 01:47 AM

Our POS gov here in MN needs to go.
Posted By: walleye101

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by trapperinfo
I wonder if the moose population now makes an incredible comeback......

Nope, not a chance, if they "manage" the population as conservatively as the last time it opened.

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 02:10 AM

Originally Posted by trapperman222

Too bad he is not on the ballot this time to get swept away by the Red Wave.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 03:02 AM

So is this a done deal? Date it goes into effect? I am heading deer hunting for week just south of the Idaho border and in Nevada they are classified the same as coyotes.

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
So is this a done deal? Date it goes into effect? I am heading deer hunting for week just south of the Idaho border and in Nevada they are classified the same as coyotes.

Yes.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 05:22 AM

Bummer ill be home next Friday

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Bummer ill be home next Friday

What?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:27 PM

I sell lures to trappers who trap wolves but this lure maker has never caught one. Don't have them most areas I've trapped in recent years. Missed one at a set in northwest Nebraska about 7-8 years ago is closest I came, and I was glad I didn't pinch that one.

I hear they are fun fun to catch. Sold a lot of lure to the state trapping efforts in MN once upon a time.

Good to see what is happening already will now be legal in more places.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:45 PM

Excellent!!!!!
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:48 PM

Change in this State will Take a long time. Federal rulings or not
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 12:55 PM

I am unsure we will ever have a season again in MN, I have doubts Michigan gets one either. Hopefully this wont get held up by the courts and we can at least advocate at the state level.
Posted By: TheSandman

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 01:15 PM

Here in Michigan we voted on a season in the UP and all the lower peninsula cities voted it down. Why do they even get to vote on UP matters? I also thought ours were red wolves. Hope they are gray.
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 01:24 PM

Well eastern ND wolf's have no federal fines, yet in western ND you can get them if mistaken by a hunter, we entered that agreement with MN and WI what has changed? Can't find the article yet here's a hunter that shoot one east of Missouri River in 12' that was protected by the states rights not federal laws; https://www.northernag.net/north-dakota-hunter-shoots-what-may-be-a-wolf/

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 03:16 PM

Gov. Waltz is against wolf hunting/trapping so if he goes hopefully we get a season.

I would definitely be interested.
Posted By: bhugo

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/30/20 05:15 PM

Looking forward to a trapping season on them someday.....

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/31/20 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by bhugo
Looking forward to a trapping season on them someday.....

Would be cool.
Posted By: Bogmaster

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/31/20 03:44 AM

Only way it will happen in MN.,is if we get rid of democrat governor and other liberal politicians. As I have said before---the wolf in MN is considered a golden calf and worshipped by so many. Sad but true.
As far as populations go--for years our population was always listed at around 2,000,even though we knew the population continued to grow and spread.
Tom
Posted By: Snowpa

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/31/20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by walleye101
Originally Posted by trapperman222

Will Trump even win ????

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/31/20 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Snowpa
Originally Posted by walleye101

Will Trump even win ????

If enough of us vote he will. I'm glad MN is in play this election, acutally feels like my vote matters.

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/31/20 11:07 AM

It is frustrating that the MNDNR talks about using the best available science, but we all know the decision will be political from the governor level.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: News!!! - Wolf loses Endangered Species Protection - 10/31/20 07:09 PM

Those in the metro don't have a clue what is going on outside of their little world. Unfortunately they seem to have more to say on how thing should be run in the rural areas and seem to have an agenda of their own.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums