Home

Horse Shot with an Arrow

Posted By: Eagleye

Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 10:18 AM

Somebody allegedly shot a horse on a trail ride close to our house in Southern Kettle Moraine Forest, the arrow hit an artery above the hoof and the horse has now died. The entry wound appeared to be a tree stand shot, I can't imagine how sad this is for the horses owner
and another black eye for hunters. We know this was not a hunter, this arrow was shot by a moron!!!

Horse shot with arrow during trail ride in Southern Unit of Kettle Moraine Forest
Meg Jones
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

A horseback rider noticed something unusual while riding in the Kettle Moraine Forest Wednesday.

An arrow lodged in one of the horse's front legs, just above the hoof. The incident happened in mid-afternoon though the Department of Natural Resources is not releasing the exact time.

There are several hunting seasons open now including small game and archery and crossbow deer seasons. The Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine is open to hunting and it's not unusual for horseback riders, hunters and others to be in that park now, said Lt. John Sinclair of the DNR Bureau of Law Enforcement.

"We're trying to determine if this was an arrow shot by a hunter, and trying to figure out who that hunter might be," Sinclair said in a phone interview Thursday afternoon.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 10:33 AM

I’m betting it was not an intentional shot. Probably a “skipper”. Doesn’t say the rider saw a shooter.
Posted By: run

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 11:25 AM

The arrow missed the no-kill zone on that horse.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by run
The arrow missed the no-kill zone on that horse.

or that is the No kill zone
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 12:34 PM

I heard that story also. I assumed it made the horse lame so they had to put it down.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was some (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) kid that thought he was going to get a kick out of spooking the horse.
Posted By: Andrew Eastwood

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 12:44 PM

Just a guess on my part, but I would guess some hunter was ticked off over the rider ruining his hunt and intended to scare the horse into throwing the rider.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood
Just a guess on my part, but I would guess some hunter was ticked off over the rider ruining his hunt and intended to scare the horse into throwing the rider.

Geez, you'd like to think there's some rational explanation. Purposely shooting at a horse and rider is a seriously sinister act not to mention a serious crime. Would have to know more about the injury but could it be that the arrow was lost and precariously positioned in the path of the horse and the horse rode into it?
Posted By: rex123

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 01:08 PM

Are you saying the horse rode into a non moving arrow?
Posted By: NE Wildlife

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 01:31 PM

It’s entirely possible the horse kicked a arrow in the trail also
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
I’m betting it was not an intentional shot. Probably a “skipper”. Doesn’t say the rider saw a shooter.

it also made it sound like the Ryder didn't hear the arrow hit or see it flying

could just be poorly written and the Ryder saw a lot more

why would a skipper make them think it came from a tree stand?
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 01:47 PM

My first thought was the same as Andrews. Some really goofy antler hunters in the world. When KS began talking about night vision being legal for coyote hunting, the #1 reason those opposed gave was poachers would shoot big bucks. Somehow thinking poachers won't shoot big big bucks if night vision is not legal for coyotes. Now we all know that poaching big bucks does not lower deer populations at all. What gets antler hunters riled up is somebody is going to be bragging about the antlers, whether they bought them or poached them. The other antler worshippers won't have a chance at that deer. Yep jealousy. The green monster. Simple as that. Would be funny if I could still dare to turn a hound loose around here.
Posted By: tomahawker

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 01:59 PM

During gun season years ago my crazy Aunt spray painted the word horse on... you guessed it her two horses in giant red letters.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
My first thought was the same as Andrews. Some really goofy antler hunters in the world. When KS began talking about night vision being legal for coyote hunting, the #1 reason those opposed gave was poachers would shoot big bucks. Somehow thinking poachers won't shoot big big bucks if night vision is not legal for coyotes. Now we all know that poaching big bucks does not lower deer populations at all. What gets antler hunters riled up is somebody is going to be bragging about the antlers, whether they bought them or poached them. The other antler worshippers won't have a chance at that deer. Yep jealousy. The green monster. Simple as that. Would be funny if I could still dare to turn a hound loose around here.

x3

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by tomahawker
During gun season years ago my crazy Aunt spray painted the word horse on... you guessed it her two horses in giant red letters.

yeah but horse people are just crazy

co-worker of mine complains about all the deer in his yard , in his pastures just thick and everywhere

now we talk guns , I have bought guns from him , we borrow tools to each other , he has told me he is the only person he trusts to sell a gun to without going through a dealer

so I offer my son and I could come up and shoot some of those deer for him . man the expression his face just turned and he went on a rant about as soon as you let hunters on your land they will shoot your stock and your building and tear the place up and shoot your dogs.

Whoa , full stop , this is me not , some crazy hunter , you were inviting me up to shoot 800 yards across your property 5 minutes ago now I am going to shoot your dogs and horses.

and to that non crazy horse person you might be out there some place , my apologies your just in really crazy company.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 02:35 PM

[Linked Image]

This is what I read:
It is with a broken heart for a fellow rider and horse lover, great anger, and deep concern for all riders that I share this tragic incident which happened yesterday on the Southern Kettle Moraine Trails.
This horse was shot by a hunter's arrow on horse trails while riding near Viele Rd. The horse has died as a result if its injury. The person responsible has NOT been caught!! Please be on the lookout!
Please, ride carefully and share any information with authorities that may help lead to apprehending and holding this person responsible!! Anyone with any information, no matter how small it may seem, should call the DNR Violation Hotline 1-800-TIP-WDNR or 1-800-847-9367. https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/newsroom/release/38811
This horse was being ridden last in a group of 3 riders- local riders who frequent these trails weekly- its rider was wearing bright red vest for visibility. These riders could have easily been seen and heard talking as they travelled down the trail. The hunter fled the scene and has not been found.
Please be aware of your surroundings, don't ride alone, wear bright colors, bells, etc.
And please know this hunter does not represent the majority who are considerate and safety conscious when sharing the forest. This was a horrible and senseless incident.
My deepest sympathies for this rider's loss- not only has she lost her beloved 4 legged friend, she has also lost the sense of peace and unequalled joy that comes with a horseback ride. Her happy place is forever scarred and that is truly tragic and a loss greater than anyone should have to shoulder.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 02:51 PM

well that certainly has significant down angle

I would think either the shooter was practically above them or was a ways off and went to pull back , tripped the release while the bow was at a 45* angle up and sent that arrow on a long arc

there is a reason the ceiling at the arhcery club has many arrow strikes

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 03:06 PM

Pike River- that's the pic I saw that was now removed from a FB Post. I'm not a horse person but could the horse have been shot in that area and traveled a distance before pulling up lame and the rider noticing?
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 03:09 PM

The original post said
Originally Posted by Eagleye

A horseback rider noticed something unusual while riding in the Kettle Moraine Forest Wednesday.

An arrow lodged in one of the horse's front legs, just above the hoof. The incident happened in mid-afternoon though the Department of Natural Resources is not releasing the exact time.

There are several hunting seasons open now including small game and archery and crossbow deer seasons. The Southern Unit of the Kettle Moraine is open to hunting and it's not unusual for horseback riders, hunters and others to be in that park now, said Lt. John Sinclair of the DNR Bureau of Law Enforcement.

"We're trying to determine if this was an arrow shot by a hunter, and trying to figure out who that hunter might be," Sinclair said in a phone interview Thursday afternoon.

I have to conclude that the horse had a rider.
Posted By: coop

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 03:15 PM

Happened around here a few years ago... 2 or 3 cows... delinquent kids I'm sure got off w/ not much.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 03:16 PM

Didnt know horses were that fragile.
Wild animals are way way tougher than that.
Posted By: Scott T

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 03:18 PM

How can you set up and hunt on a horse trail and then get upset because of riders coming through. The deer would be used to the horses and the hunting wouldn’t be affected much anyway. It would be a mental struggle to keep from knocking him out of his tree like a giant squirrel.
Posted By: run

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 03:24 PM

The horse has a really small no-kill zone.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

I would think either the shooter was practically above them or was a ways off and went to pull back , tripped the release while the bow was at a 45* angle up and sent that arrow on a long arc

That was my exact though after seeing that picture. Hit the release while pulling back.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 04:08 PM

Yup and you'll quickly be corrected if you're caught drawing up rather than drawing down.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 04:11 PM

I think the horse kicked a dropped or previously shot arrow, from the angle, where the arrow got stuck, how a horse's leg flexes, lack of deep penetration and the fact the rider did not notice the impact immediately.

Keith

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by KeithC
I think the horse kicked a dropped or previously shot arrow, from the angle, where the arrow got stuck, how a horse's leg flexes, lack of deep penetration and the fact the rider did not notice the impact immediately.

Keith

I also wondered how a Ryder could not immediately notice and arrow fly in and strike the animal

Boco it seems some horses are very fragile

I have seen deer running with out a hoof running right on the bone and making good time keeping right up with the others
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 04:53 PM

I would give even odds on a "false flag" incident by an anti... scoring points against hunting AND horse ownership (which they viciously oppose)
Posted By: logger coffey

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 04:56 PM

My opinion is the arrow wasn't broke off ,by the looks of the shaft part on the broadhead. my guess is its set up for the facebook crowd.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 04:57 PM

If it didn't hit right into a vulnerable spot to affect the hydraulics immediately, yes they all can go with very bad injuries for a long time until they succumb to blood loss, etc. The stories of the war horses and mules in combat are full of cases of amazing endurance despite dire injuries. Shock and adrenalin also are factors of not feeling much until some time elapses.

Unfortunately, there are a number of horse owners who are not skilled with enough miles or experience to feel the slightest change in gait or weight shift compensation to notice an injury until it becomes very obvious. A good discerning rider can feel and tell what their mount is going to do just by tension in the muscles alone, before the feet even begin to move.

Pete, not all us horse folks are frantic and drama filled smile

Enjoying both hunting, firearms and riding, the folks I know don't give a thought about hunting on their land, amidst cattle or horses. They know hunters are skilled whom they grant permission , even encouraging shooting every coyote they see along the way.

Loving to ride in the fall , September through November, being hunt season too, I also keep in mind the areas hunters like to go, and so I stick to the main forestry roads . Seeing a truck parked off to the side is also a clear indicator someone is in the bush , and it is easy to avoid going into trails in those areas.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:02 PM

Ok let me get this straight . Some one was on the horse when it was shot? Something doesn't add up. First of all if a horse was shot with a bow it would more than likely buck, kick run. (if it was able) . Second of all was this a trail ride for the blind? Did the rider not see who shot at him. Sounds like some major details have been left out... Not like a bow hunter can snipe from 1/2 mile away. I would rather say rider was carrying a cocked crossbow on his horseback and it went off. Thus the straight down angle... IF it was a hunter the rider would hear the bow fire and the smack when the arrow struck. You hit something as hard as a horses hoof and it would pop like a 410 shot gun.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
[Linked Image]

We have a horse that tends to drag its feet.
I don't think it would be a stretch that the arrow was on the ground and the horse walked into it. Especially on a rear foot where a front hoof could have kicked it up. That is about the angle I would expect from such a thing.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by slydogx
I would give even odds on a "false flag" incident by an anti... scoring points against hunting AND horse ownership (which they viciously oppose)

you are right look at the x-ray if the blades had cut that deep into the bone there would be fragments backwards from the entry point. That broad head was lain over the x-ray . No bone damage in the wound canal !!!!!!
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:12 PM

As a horse person I'm questioning the story and x ray also
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:15 PM

x2
Posted By: Sharon

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Originally Posted by slydogx

you are right look at the x-ray if the blades had cut that deep into the bone there would be fragments backwards from the entry point. That broad head was lain over the x-ray . No bone damage in the wound canal !!!!!!

I thought that also. The bones look fine with no dings or fragments.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:24 PM

Circle the wagons !!! It couldn’t possibly be some freaking IDIOT! I especially like the long ark theory. I shot an arrow into the air, It fell to earth I know not where.
My guess is an IDIOT got a case of buck fever anticipating the huge buck he was going to brag about to his buddies.

I say this based on the IDIOT that took something very precious away from my father. When he heard a young man brag about taking a couple of SOUND SHOTS, he quit hunting deer all together.

I say this based on the IDIOT that shot a horse out from under a man I worked with. Even though the rider was wearing blaze orange vest as per Montana hunting regs, and the horse had a blaze orange saddle blanket and orange surveying ribbon tied in its mane and tail. The blanket and ribbon are standard procedure in the Rocky Mountains during hunting season for most horsemen by the way. Hmmm wonder why that is. The “hunter” swore he was shooting at an elk.

I say this based on the IDIOT that shot a good friend’s son in the knee while he was having a mid morning snack and rest break with his brother on top of a boulder. Both men were wearing blaze orange. Jim has a severe limp
to this day. I can’t imagine the pain he went through over thirty years ago.

I say this based on the IDIOT that almost shot a moose right between the eyes YESTERDAY.
That IDIOT was me. I was elk hunting in an any elk unit, on the third sit I was using a cow elk call very subtly in some very thick lodgepole. After a few minutes I saw some legs moving from right to left. I said to myself there you are as it angled toward me. It was playing peekaboo with me when I spotted the eyes and a perfect set of brow tines. I didn’t have a clear shot through all the small branches so I waited then he turned and trotted from left to right. And what I thought was was a bull elk magically turned into a pretty decent shira bull moose.
This all happened at about thirty yards and about a minute and a half. I never saw his body until he was leaving, dead giveaway, they are black.
His legs in the late afternoon sun shined and appeared to be brown. When I saw the eyes and browtines my mind said nice bull. Thankfully I waited for a better shot as my mind had already identified the target as a legal bull elk. After all I was using an elk call. I was in elk habitat, the critter responded exactly like dozens of elk have on other occasions. I could see his browtines!

In the original post the only scenario I believe other than the archers mind playing tricks, is the one about trying to spook the horse. I mean seriously, how dare they interrupt his deer hunt with their silly trail riding. Sarcasm emoji goes here.
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:36 PM

I apologize for jumping to conclusions. I made the mistake of basing my opinion on the facts presented in the article and the x-ray. I should has considered ur dad, your good friends son and you.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:40 PM

I always thought sound shots were an intentional myth perpetuated to scare people out of someone's hunting area. Basically, people loudly talk about taking sound shots, where other people who hunt in the area will hear them, so that the people listening won't hunt nearby anymore.

Keith

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

it also made it sound like the Ryder didn't hear the arrow hit or see it flying

could just be poorly written and the Ryder saw a lot more

why would a skipper make them think it came from a tree stand?

I’ve seen them skip off the ground back in the air 10-12ft. They have to come down from that unless you are on the space station.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:54 PM

Unless the hoof was up in the gait.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 05:56 PM

I hate that people think the worst of sportsman right out of the gate.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:13 PM

For those that want to see the comment thread that I saw its on the Ice Age Trail FB page.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:13 PM

PALMYRA — The owner of a horse that was hit with an arrow and subsequently put down because of the injury on the southern Kettle Moraine State Park trail Wednesday afternoon is looking for answers, along with the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

The horse’s owner, Lisa Schreier, an avid trail rider, said she decided to go for a horseback ride with some friends. Schreier was part of a group of three and as they were riding, one of her friends noticed Schreier’s horse had been shot with an arrow.

“The whole arrow was sticking out of his leg and the blood was just gushing out,” Schreier said.

Together, the three women were frantically trying to care for the horse, call vets and haul the horse, Sam, out of the park.

Once at an animal clinic and given an X-ray, it was found that the arrow had hit Sam’s tendon, an artery and a bag of fluid in the hoof, creating a high infection rate. Surgery ultimately came to a $10,000 price tag, so Schreier said she had to put him down.

Schreier said the arrow came from above the group, based on the angle it went into the hoof. Overall, she said she wants answers, because the group was making noise and the perpetrator would have heard them.

“My belief is whoever did this knew what they were doing,” she said. “Either he wanted to scare us because they were (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman) because we were in the woods scaring the wildlife away ... or I don’t know.”

Schreier said she didn’t think about the danger until afterwards.

“It could have been a person,” Schreier said. “You have hikers that use those trails, you have bicyclers that use those trails. The thing is, the guy’s a danger. If you’re bow hunting, you need to see your target.”

DNR Warden John Sinclair said they are investigating the incident.

“We definitely want hikers and horseback riders and everybody that’s out on the landscape to feel safe and to feel like they can enjoy these public spaces,” he said.

Sinclair said he’s worked in Jefferson County for three years and hasn’t seen something like this happen before.

“It’s certainly very unusual and concerning,” he said.

Sinclair said he is unsure how many people were in the area during the incident.

“Certainly the area is used by a variety of outdoor recreators, so we do have horseback riders, hikers, hunters and bird watchers, things of that nature,” he said. “All those different groups utilize this area so it’s not uncommon to have a variety of people in this part of the state property.”

In a press release, the DNR said they are working in collaboration with the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office to seek the public’s help with any information related to the injury of the horse.

Sinclair asks anyone with any pertinent information, no matter how small it may seem, to please call the DNR Violation Hotline 1-800-TIPWDNR or 1-800-847-9367[Linked Image]

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:18 PM

Look at the blade on the right toward the top/rear of the blade is that bone tissue over the blade?
I’m not a radiologist. Probably some on here are, no sarcasm intended.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Circle the wagons !!! It couldn’t possibly be some freaking IDIOT! I especially like the long ark theory. I shot an arrow into the air, It fell to earth I know not where.
My guess is an IDIOT got a case of buck fever anticipating the huge buck he was going to brag about to his buddies.

I say this based on the IDIOT that took something very precious away from my father. When he heard a young man brag about taking a couple of SOUND SHOTS, he quit hunting deer all together.

I say this based on the IDIOT that shot a horse out from under a man I worked with. Even though the rider was wearing blaze orange vest as per Montana hunting regs, and the horse had a blaze orange saddle blanket and orange surveying ribbon tied in its mane and tail. The blanket and ribbon are standard procedure in the Rocky Mountains during hunting season for most horsemen by the way. Hmmm wonder why that is. The “hunter” swore he was shooting at an elk.

I say this based on the IDIOT that shot a good friend’s son in the knee while he was having a mid morning snack and rest break with his brother on top of a boulder. Both men were wearing blaze orange. Jim has a severe limp
to this day. I can’t imagine the pain he went through over thirty years ago.

I say this based on the IDIOT that almost shot a moose right between the eyes YESTERDAY.
That IDIOT was me. I was elk hunting in an any elk unit, on the third sit I was using a cow elk call very subtly in some very thick lodgepole. After a few minutes I saw some legs moving from right to left. I said to myself there you are as it angled toward me. It was playing peekaboo with me when I spotted the eyes and a perfect set of brow tines. I didn’t have a clear shot through all the small branches so I waited then he turned and trotted from left to right. And what I thought was was a bull elk magically turned into a pretty decent shira bull moose.
This all happened at about thirty yards and about a minute and a half. I never saw his body until he was leaving, dead giveaway, they are black.
His legs in the late afternoon sun shined and appeared to be brown. When I saw the eyes and browtines my mind said nice bull. Thankfully I waited for a better shot as my mind had already identified the target as a legal bull elk. After all I was using an elk call. I was in elk habitat, the critter responded exactly like dozens of elk have on other occasions. I could see his browtines!

In the original post the only scenario I believe other than the archers mind playing tricks, is the one about trying to spook the horse. I mean seriously, how dare they interrupt his deer hunt with their silly trail riding. Sarcasm emoji goes here.

OK since you said you are the idiot . Does that mean you shot all the horses in your story?

PLUS BIG DIFFERENCE IN a gun and a bow. No way that happened and that horse didn't throw a fit. PERIOD !!!! Like I said was the rider blind and also deaf ? Heck I'v seen horses run thru fences because a fly bit them. !!!

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:32 PM

I'm not buying that the horse was purposely shot.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun
Originally Posted by Andrew Eastwood

Geez, you'd like to think there's some rational explanation. Purposely shooting at a horse and rider is a seriously sinister act not to mention a serious crime. Would have to know more about the injury but could it be that the arrow was lost and precariously positioned in the path of the horse and the horse rode into it?

This could have actually happened this way.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:44 PM

"given an X-ray, it was found that the arrow had hit Sam’s tendon, an artery and a bag of fluid in the hoof, creating a high infection rate."

Far from any type of expert but that injury seems more consistent with walking into or kicking up the arrow and having it enter under relatively low velocity. If that struck at high velocity it would have shattered bone, or passed through the area. IMO. And like slicing yourself with a razor blade the horse may not have experienced intense pain walking into it. If that area was struck at high velocity how could that horse not have reacted in a very noticeable manner.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
I apologize for jumping to conclusions. I made the mistake of basing my opinion on the facts presented in the article and the x-ray. I should has considered ur dad, your good friends son and you.

Sounds like a lot of crazy people in Wyoming doesn’t it.

Nobody in their right mind shoots at a horse with a rider on it, thinking its a deer and then after taking aim hits that huge target in the hoof.

Any simple explanation sounds better then what the article is selling.

Gotta be a false flag incident.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter

Originally Posted by Yes sir

Nobody in their right mind shoots at a horse with a rider on it, thinking its a deer and then after taking aim hits that huge target in the hoof.

That notion is out of the question when it's the third horse and rider in a group of three visiting along a trail together. And nobody in their right mind shoots a horse and rider on purpose because they're spoiling a hunt especially on public land where it is to be expected. Besides people who are inclined to go bow hunting are usually in their right mind.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 07:02 PM

Look at the picture of the blade. It hit no bone at any rate of speed. There are no chips, dents or bends to the blade. That thing looks perfect.
Also at any rate of speed, hitting soft tissue as the article suggests, the arrow would have punched through.

The horse kicked the arrow in the trail most likely.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 07:38 PM

I don’t understand the three eye witnesses and the owner and the vet and LEO all stageing this event.
And yes there are a lot of crazy people in Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, Utah. When the “Orange Tide “ rolls in better stay sharp.
And if I remember correctly it was just last week, the howls of righteous indignation and calls for hangem high when a national known “sportsman “ got caught in a huge poaching ring. Was that in Kansas? Honest question,
don’t remember that detail for sure. The fact is that all kinds of people take part in outdoor activity. Does that mean they are all ethical and conform to high moral standards. I think not. I offer for your consideration the Asian fellow that shot another hunter out of his tree stand because the Asian fellow claimed that it was his tree stand.
Believe that was in Wisconsin? Made national news, several years ago.
I believe most of the people on this site are good people that would always do the right thing to the best of their abilities. But I also believe that most “sportsmen and women “ are not members of this site.
And there are some real doozies out there.
Y’all keep on circling them wagons.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 07:52 PM

That notion is out of the question when it's the third horse and rider in a group of three visiting along a trail together. And nobody in their right mind shoots a horse and rider on purpose because they're spoiling a hunt especially on public land where it is to be expected. Besides people who are inclined to go bow hunting are usually in their right mind.

I know that area very well. Plenty of people hunting not in their right minds there. This area is a weird exurban area between Milwaukee, Madison, and Janesville.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 08:02 PM

I know that area very well. Plenty of people hunting not in their right minds there. This area is a weird exurban area between Milwaukee, Madison, and Janesville.

it is a weird area close to all of the cities but still just far enough away at the same time

the amount of swamp and state forest keeping the developers from turning it all into suburbs of Milwaukee

while it is possible it was an intentionally shot arrow , I sure would have thought the rider would have seen or heard something if it was
Posted By: Pest's Dad

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 08:10 PM

I know absolutely Nothing about A/ Hunting arrow heads. B/ X Rays.

However; Just looking at that x ray? It looks, to my own Joe Soap, just a normal guy eye like ye'd virtually have to be standing next to the horse, firing down at its foot, to get that angle. Doesn't it? I mean, that Looks like a pretty acute angle. Dunno.

Regards the talk about bone chips / arrow head dings? Again. I've no knowledge to even Try to form an opinion on. But; Who said we need a Radiologist? Because I'd like one. To explain to me how that shot looks more like someone's placed the arrow head against the leg, and x rayed That!

I genuinely would have expected more 'depth' to the picture. Some sign that that head was within the foot. Am I making myself clear here? Dunno. I don't habitually get to look at x rays.

Oh, and I have a horse. Absolutely bomb proof Gypsy Cob ('Vanner'). Bomb Proof. But, dear lord! If a ruddy great broad head thunked into Her foot, on a casual stroll? I imagine even She'd make some noticeable reaction! shocked

But, what? Everybody just ambled on? Until, at some point, someone said; " Oh, look! There's the best part of a yard of arrow shaft sticking out of this horses front foot! Well I never! "

Naah. Stinks of face book.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 08:22 PM

it is on several news channels around the area , so I don't doubt that a horse , picked up a broadhead and died.

but yes I would have thought it odd for them to not see it basically with in a stride or two of where the arrow first impacted the horse.

makes me wonder also if they had a decent tourniquet , or could have made one, if they could have saved the horse but I don't know any thing about horse medicine . do tourniquets work on horse legs?

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
[Linked Image]

We have a horse that tends to drag its feet.
I don't think it would be a stretch that the arrow was on the ground and the horse walked into it. Especially on a rear foot where a front hoof could have kicked it up. That is about the angle I would expect from such a thing.

Isn't that the back of the foot on the x-ray? No joint displacement or unevenness what so ever !! Really ?
If so totally staged. The broad head is "BEHIND" all bones and tendons. Looks like to was just lain there then x-rayed

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 08:54 PM

Muzzy bad to the bone??? But they shatter bone on impact.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 08:57 PM

Pete I think the reason the horse was put down (maybe) was that the injury was prone to developing an infection according to reporter. One of the Ky derby winners few years back broke that joint in the Preakness right out of the gate. They did surgery and tried to save him but he got infected and they put him down.
Posted By: M.Magis

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/30/20 09:14 PM

The most likely scenario would be that someone dropped the arrow on the path, the horse kicked it while walking, the fletching end was up against something like the ground, and jammed the broadhead into its foot. Of course since it involves horse people, they’ll be on the evening national news telling the entire world their horse was shot by a hunter.
Posted By: bfflobo

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 10/31/20 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by M.Magis
The most likely scenario would be that someone dropped the arrow on the path, the horse kicked it while walking, the fletching end was up against something like the ground, and jammed the broadhead into its foot. Of course since it involves horse people, they’ll be on the evening national news telling the entire world their horse was shot by a hunter.

This was my thoughts on page one and the first picture. Wasn't shot, just a freak accident of an arrow lost on the ground.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 11/05/20 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by bfflobo
Originally Posted by M.Magis

This was my thoughts on page one and the first picture. Wasn't shot, just a freak accident of an arrow lost on the ground.

I shared this theory this morning on a FB group. Wow is there some fall out.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 11/05/20 05:13 PM

I am sure if it doesn't fit the narrative they have created in their mind , it just can't be.

if say an archery hunter was close enough to make a shot into the leg intentionally that archer would have been say 30 yards away or less

if the archer had a bad release drawing back on a deer the arrow would have sailed in maybe 150-200yards arrows jut don't travel that well

it's been a while since I was on a trail ride through the Kettle moraine about 35 years and maybe the kids now carry speakers and blast music on horse trail rides , it seems strange that you wouldn't have noticed an arrow falling from the sky into the horse you are riding or the noise from the bow , a guy in a tree something.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 11/05/20 06:59 PM

if say an archery hunter was close enough to make a shot into the leg intentionally that archer would have been say 30 yards away or less

If I made that shot intentionally with my hunting bow at 30 yards, that arrow would be sticking well out the bottom of the hoof.

Re: Horse Shot with an Arrow - 11/05/20 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights

If I made that shot intentionally with my hunting bow at 30 yards, that arrow would be sticking well out the bottom of the hoof.

yup

Occam's razor
© 2024 Trapperman Forums