Home

lead slead

Posted By: Hydropillar

lead slead - 10/31/20 08:33 PM

i need to get a shooting rest ..... whats the best for the money??
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: lead slead - 10/31/20 09:14 PM

sand bag in front and a sock with rice for a squeeze bag in the back

for the money sand bag and sock are really cheap

other options from less to more expensive

a good web sling

if you want it more mobile a back pack stuffed with clothing

a Harris bi-pod and the sock of rice also work well

the thing about lead sleds is your gun doesn't shoot the same way when in your shoulder , how every you hunt is how you want to sight in.

if and bags are inconvenient to adjust the bench rest guys use a front rest and rear bag

the caldwell jr front rest works nice a smaller version of what the benchrest guys use , they also have the larger versions of it https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015052687?pid=682659

the larger rock rest with rear bag

if your trying to shoot groups for load development the stock resting free on the rest or sand bag and in your shoulder with a rear squeeze bag be it sock or commercial will give you the most repeatable conditions in the field over a pack

Re: lead slead - 10/31/20 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
sand bag in front and a sock with rice for a squeeze bag in the back

for the money sand bag and sock are really cheap

other options from less to more expensive

a good web sling

if you want it more mobile a back pack stuffed with clothing

a Harris bi-pod and the sock of rice also work well

the thing about lead sleds is your gun doesn't shoot the same way when in your shoulder , how every you hunt is how you want to sight in.

if and bags are inconvenient to adjust the bench rest guys use a front rest and rear bag

the caldwell jr front rest works nice a smaller version of what the benchrest guys use , they also have the larger versions of it https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015052687?pid=682659

the larger rock rest with rear bag

if your trying to shoot groups for load development the stock resting free on the rest or sand bag and in your shoulder with a rear squeeze bag be it sock or commercial will give you the most repeatable conditions in the field over a pack

agree with everyting you said.....i still want a good one to set in and shoot a few rounds to check my accuracy against bipod or general shooting bags ,,, over hood of truck... off a rock ect
Posted By: Cragar

Re: lead slead - 10/31/20 10:04 PM

I've had a 'bulls bag' for years , works good I think. Just a tad heavy dragging it to the range is my only complaint. I guess any bag will be heavy though . Does come with shoulder strap for carrying.

Re: lead slead - 10/31/20 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by Hydropillar

agree with everything you said.....i still want a good one to set in and shoot a few rounds to check my accuracy against bipod or general shooting bags ,,, over hood of truck... off a rock ect

in that case the question is

Lead sled DFT2 ? which is better for AR type rifles Dual Frame allows the grip and magazine to go between the frame rails it also for sighting in your SBR or Braced pistol the front rest adjusts back
or
Lead sled 3 ? which would save some money if you have no need for AR type rifles
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: lead slead - 10/31/20 10:53 PM

I ordered the lead sled dft2 thinking it would be top notch. It’s junk compared to a set of bags as far as I’m concerned

Armageddon gear makes some great bags

Short action precision would also be a good choice

Re: lead slead - 10/31/20 11:06 PM

glad i started this thread...... have bags at local gun club shooting range.... but there hardly open .... i should become rangemaster...
keep the info comeing..i like shooting off bags.....
someone tell me that got a great slead and what brand
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: lead slead - 10/31/20 11:50 PM

Caldwell lead sled. Sure takes the sting out of the heavy thumpers. The lighter recoiling stuff that I typically used would get a bipod and a rear bag. But, I’ve gotten rid of the guns for various reasons and use a x-bow during the firearms season and compound during archery so long as I’m not too banged up to do so.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 12:22 AM

I've got a lead sled. Good investment I think. Takes as much "human error" out of the shooting as possible.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 12:56 AM

Believe it or not I haven’t had a gun store recommend a lead sled yet when inquiring about them. Every single one has said bad for the gun and the scope, but they have a huge selection of both so buy one if I wanted too.
Posted By: andrews1958

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Trappercass
I ordered the lead sled dft2 thinking it would be top notch. It’s junk compared to a set of bags as far as I’m concerned

Armageddon gear makes some great bags

Short action precision would also be a good choice

Agree The dead sled I bought was also junk. Spend the money and get a good front rest and a good bag rest for the stock.

For a starter rest that I started with - https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015139582 https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1015252032?pid=916644

Or you can go a bit more and buy the Sinclair that I use for competitive shooting https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooti...competition-shooting-rest-prod39322.aspx

Posted By: garymc

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 01:06 AM

I own a Caldwell lead sled and it collects dust. I am far more accurate with sandbags or a bipod with a rear sandbag. The Lead Sled does reduce recoil but I could of get comfortable with the increased length of pull and it just wasn’t as solid
Posted By: James

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 03:57 AM

I've heard those lead-sleds are hard on rifle scopes, but I've never wanted one to try it and find out.

Jim
Posted By: cotton

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 01:14 PM

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1015040838?pid=348661

been using that in front and homemade sand bags in the rear for years. lol found the rest in a gun shop for 60 bucks, reckon it was too heavy for most folks to fool with.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 02:04 PM

Lead Sled is premier!
Posted By: Trappercass

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 02:41 PM

[quote=garymc]I own a Caldwell lead sled and it collects dust. I am far more accurate with sandbags or a bipod with a rear sandbag. The Lead Sled does reduce recoil but I could of get comfortable with the increased length of pull and it just wasn’t as solid

It had been so long since I had used that thing for anything other than a gun rack on the table I had actually forgotten how awkward and uncomfortable it was to use.

So it isn’t as steady as bags and it is also forces you to shoot in a position you would never use or even be able to replicate unless the gun was in the sled.

To each his own.
Posted By: EdP

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 02:48 PM

I don't have any problem shooting sub 1/2" 5 shot groups at 100 yds when the gun and load are right. I use an adjustable front rest and rear bag. You don't need a Lead Sled to do that. You do need to learn how to shoot and deal with recoil without flinching. The Lead Sled won't help you do that either.
Posted By: Outlaw99

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 03:16 PM

Lead sleds are hard on scopes and bases. I shoot off sand bags or a bipod. If recoil bothers you that much that you feel you need to shoot off a sled, you might consider a round with less recoil. Just my thoughts and opinions which mean nothing.

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 03:45 PM

glad i started this thread...... have bags at local gun club shooting range.... but there hardly open .... i should become rangemaster...

not sure what your range requires , NRA RSO range safety officer is a one day training , i think it cost me $75 for the class and $30 for a 2 year registration it is 15 or 20 for every 2 years after that.

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

not sure what your range requires , NRA RSO range safety officer is a one day training , i think it cost me $75 for the class and $30 for a 2 year registration it is 15 or 20 for every 2 years after that.

i think its about the same here i need to do it.... they have a nice facility
Posted By: JoeGoodman

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 06:04 PM

Caldwell "The Rock" plus rear bag. Simple and heavy.
Posted By: hippie

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 06:15 PM

I made my own one piece rest, weighted. I wouldn't go back to bags for dialing a gun in again.

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 06:26 PM

you can make lighter yet still decent bags with dry seed corn or pop corn as the filler they are much lighter how ever the mice may get at them if you store them in a garage another good but not too heavy bag is a kneeling roll

https://www.creedmoorsports.com/product/creedmoor-deluxe-kneeling-roll/Mats-and-Kneeling-Rolls

one of the bags I have heard about being a big deal in the PRC is the Game changer https://www.armageddongear.com/Support-Bags_c_53.html

not cheap but a fairly light turns so many objects into a steady rest more than you need for god bench shooting but when you see what the competitors are finding works it is interesting

remember they have to carry everything through the course on them no cart
Posted By: MB Coonguy

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 10:22 PM

Get GOOD HEAVY FRONT BAG AND REAR SAND BAG YOU CAN PINCH-IF YOU ARE WORRIED ABOUT RECOIL PUT A 25lb of lead shot behind the gun-it works awesome!
Posted By: James

Re: lead slead - 11/01/20 10:31 PM

I agree that a lead sled is not the answer to tolerating recoil. Go to a lighter cartridge, or practice shooting standing up, off-hand or with shooting sticks. Recoil is less noticeable when you're standing than when sitting at a bench.

When I was planning my trip to Africa, I worked up a load for a .416 Remington Magnum. I was only able to do this in such a short time because I shot mostly from sticks. In Africa, you shoot from sticks anyway, so I was able to practice that while also working up the load. Two birds, one stone.

Jim
© 2024 Trapperman Forums