Home

Get and use chainsaw chaps

Posted By: dkrug

Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 01:58 AM

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=958559&mid=8578599#M8578599
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 02:05 AM

Yes cheap insurance. I went without them for years but now I'm older and wiser. Also my boys want to do everything like dad so I lead by example. They tend to see and soak up everything. No ground work with a sea without chaps.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 02:06 AM

a forestry helmet aka hard hat also

saved me

I wasn't even cutting on the tree that fell on me it was a broken top in the tree behind me I was cutting some brush to clear a trail to get another log out.

a big limb fell and the fork hit me on the head tossed me forward and came down on both shoulders the 2 sides of the fork were about 4 inches in diameter each

nocked me to the ground and pinned me down

I am sure it would have peeled my scalp and probably worse if I had not been wearing my hard hat

knocked may glasses right off my face bruised both shoulders and I tore my pants right down the leg being forced to the ground like that.

I had my saw pinned to the ground keeping the chain way from me and got it shut down right away.
Posted By: white marlin

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 02:12 AM

the funny thing is...the SAME people who would pitch a [female dog] if their employer would ask them to cut a tree without chaps will WILLINGLY do the same darn thing at their home EVERY TIME THEY FIRE UP A SAW!
Posted By: adam m

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 02:27 AM

I need to get some. Recently, I saw an episode of This Old House where they did a comparison of jeans Vs chaps. Even though the jeans were briefly touched with the saw a good chunk of thigh was missing. The chaps were just like the picture and not even a scratch on the thigh

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
I need to get some. Recently, I saw an episode of This Old House where they did a comparison of jeans Vs chaps. Even though the jeans were briefly touched with the saw a good chunk of thigh was missing. The chaps were just like the picture and not even a scratch on the thigh

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 02:55 AM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE

Wow
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 03:26 AM

Some of the worst injuries I have seen have come from chainsaws. It'll mash up an extremity like hamburger. I also know a man that took one to the gut and has never been the same since, he did survive at least.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 03:30 AM

I always wear chaps and a hardhat with built in ear muffs and a mesh face shield.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 12:54 PM

I just need to break down and buy some.
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 330-Trapper

Me too.

Chris
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 01:09 PM

Yep. “Who do we need to send with a crow bar to pry your wallet out? “...... my wife’s phrase letting me know THE TIME has come to pay up. Lol.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 03:42 PM

See how much they cost vs a trip to the ER- they are cheap by that standard and most safety equipment is too
Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 03:50 PM

It's not the cost that stopped me from wearing them. It is teaching an old dog new tricks plus the added time of putting them on each time using the chainsaw. The benefits of wearing them are appealing to me though!

Chris
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 04:08 PM

Hard hat should be used. Woke up one time under a tree with the saw idling near by. Don't know if the hat helped or not, but I got up and continued cutting. Also, don't do clear cuts on windy days. The tree that fell on me uprooted from the wind.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 04:09 PM

Same here,I dont use a chainsaw a whole lot.but have used one since I was young.Complacency and lack of awareness is what leads to accidents with saws.There is more chance of getting hurt by the tree than the saw in my opinion.Chicots are deadly.
Posted By: cbat

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 04:10 PM

I have cut myself twice. Now I will not start a saw without the proper PPE on. Only takes a second for a accident to happen.

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by ebsurveyor
Hard hat should be used. Woke up one time under a tree with the saw idling near by. Don't know if the hat helped or not, but I got up and continued cutting. Also, don't do clear cuts on windy days. The tree that fell on me uprooted from the wind.

you were not dead and not needing your head sews shut I would say it helped.

knew a guy who was send by his mother to go get his dad for lunch , he was 8 when he found his dad under the tree he had been cutting. a widow maker had come high out and hit him in the head.

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 04:37 PM

Me too. I was looking them up last night. Seems like Sthil has more bang for the buck. For $119 you get a 9 ply Vs Husky which is $85- $105 for 5 ply.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 04:54 PM

I have another one of those "special " trees on my honey do list for next week. It has a bunch of dead branches and some are broken off and resting on others 50 + feet up there. I'll be wearing a hard hat and looking up a lot. No good watching the kerf when the nasty stuff comes from a different direction.
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 05:14 PM

I try and wear these, perfect for cool weather but get hot in the summer, pretty comfortable and you can put them on in the morning and not even think about them.

https://www.forestershop.com/forester-extreme-chain-saw-pants-pcos.html
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 05:18 PM

Ain't got um; must need um.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 05:24 PM

Good idea but with all that stuff on I get to hot and tired.

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 05:35 PM

better too hot, than one-legged...
Posted By: Donnersurvivor

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Scuba1
I have another one of those "special " trees on my honey do list for next week. It has a bunch of dead branches and some are broken off and resting on others 50 + feet up there. I'll be wearing a hard hat and looking up a lot. No good watching the kerf when the nasty stuff comes from a different direction.

Get a rope up in that tree, make your notch and back cut leaving 10% or so and go pull the tree over with the rope. No need to stand under a bunch of hangers raining down on ya.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 06:15 PM

I'll have to cut a pocket into that one for a bottle jack as I need to drop it against its lean and have no place for the tractor to pull it with a long rope. On the upside I only have another 8 of those kind of trees to get down. The rest are easy. When I see the devastation the logger left behind on one of the properties next to ours, it makes me want to cry. A tornado would have left it better than they did. Have to take some pictures soon and stick them on here as a how not to.

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 06:34 PM

if you don't have an iron-clad contract and the means to enforce it, you're really at the mercy of the logging company.

sorry to hear the neighbors have to deal with that, but it's not un-common...too many people don't want to pay a good consulting forester. All too often, they pay MORE with the mess that's left.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by white marlin

Only trouble is the more tired I am the more dangerous it is.
Posted By: Jonnytrapper

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 11:49 PM

I got the ones that wrap around the calf and cover the ankle. I don't cut much in the summer, if I did they may be to hot but I like the extra coverage and they protect me from the scrub brush and other pokey limbs.

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/01/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce T
Originally Posted by white marlin

Only trouble is the more tired I am the more dangerous it is.

understandable...take more frequent breaks.
Posted By: seiowatrapper

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/02/20 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
Yes cheap insurance. I went without them for years but now I'm older and wiser. Also my boys want to do everything like dad so I lead by example. They tend to see and soak up everything. No ground work with a sea without chaps.

Me too. ^ I didn't always used to wear chaps, but I have been very consistent wearing them for several years now. My sons have gratefully followed my lead too and wear them whenever sawing. Edit to add...I always wear a helmet, gloves and ear protection too.
Posted By: redsnow

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/02/20 12:23 AM

Impressive video.
Posted By: dkrug

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/02/20 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
Some of the worst injuries I have seen have come from chainsaws. It'll mash up an extremity like hamburger. I also know a man that took one to the gut and has never been the same since, he did survive at least.

A guy was having trouble with his saw, so he idled it up to keep it running.
He sat the saw down with the chain still moving, then picked up a chunk of wood and stepped sideways into the saw.
It ran through his leg, and then stalled out.
His young boys got him in the back of his pickup and drove to hospital ER.
The one boy ran in for help and as the doctors and nurses came out, they looked at the poor guy and passed out.
They finally got a heart surgeon to get a rib-spreader to get the saw out of his leg.

Kind of important to keep your saws running good?
Posted By: lestan101

Re: Get and use chainsaw chaps - 11/02/20 12:47 AM

My buddy is just getting over a chainsaw incident. He had insurance and still figures it cost about 1000 dollars a stitch. He has chaps now.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums