Home

Bugs on Coon ID

Posted By: bigboarcoon

Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 01:19 AM

Anyone able to help out with an ID on this? They were all over the batch of coon I got today.
Trying to determine with the wife if we need to take any precautions. Think its some sort of flea.

Attached picture Resized_20201103_151008.jpeg
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 01:25 AM

Looks like a biden bug...small head and big -...lol
Posted By: mikeinpa

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 02:04 AM

I can’t tell you what they are but I have seen them before on coons and other animals. They’ve never been an issue for me. Make sure you comb them all out of the fur and maybe put your fur in the freezer for a few days before you put them up.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by Twolines
Oh man your gonna get the plague...
Posted By: coonman220

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 03:54 AM

Coon get ticks bad
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 04:21 AM

We have had them once on coon up here, the next closes range in Twin cities Minn.Have a published paper on it.
fleas, you have a female
Chaetopsylla lotoris
Posted By: MJM

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 04:29 AM

I have never seen fleas on coon herein ND. Coyotes and fox there are plenty.

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 05:18 AM

MJM them there fleas then must have come up on the Minnesota side of the Red River and not the ND side then.
It has only happened with a small collection of mine, so not very many records.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 03:45 PM

I've read some guys put the fur in a bag, and spray bug spray, then seal for awhile.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 04:39 PM

I've seen those on most coon down here. Coon specifec flea, with the big butt! Never been bit by one, and they die pretty quickly after the animal is dead. There are quite a few different species of fleas that inhabit certain species of critters.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 04:46 PM

If your a Trapper/skinner you will deal with all kinds of fleas and bugs.
The coolest ones are the little tiny almost microscopic beasties that crawl up to the end of the guardhairs on drying muskrats.
Also the tiny chewing lice on some wolves are almost microscopic-they also crawl up the guard hair on hanging wolves.
Some Marten are just hoaching with fleas,same with weasels and red squirrells.Not a problem though when harvested lethally in winter.

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 06:00 PM

Another reason I skin and freeze here. I got entirely too many ticks off of fresh coyotes. When I'm catchin, I skin and freeze. Work them when the catch slows and have more time. And that helps with the beasties, as Boco calls them!

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 06:26 PM

I fleshed and stretched a lynx out of Canada that rode down in the back of a PU when I worked for Pacific Hide and Fur in Spokane. I got ate up by fleas. I think they got hungry on the cold ride down. I didn't really notice them until I was chewed up. I would bet over 100 bites. I am glad the rest were stretched and dry. We bought over 100 lynx from them. The two guys were from Manning Alberta.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yukon John
I've read some guys put the fur in a bag, and spray bug spray, then seal for awhile.

I did that once on a coon hide after I noticed what I thought were lice. It killed them whatever they were.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
I fleshed and stretched a lynx out of Canada that rode down in the back of a PU when I worked for Pacific Hide and Fur in Spokane. I got ate up by fleas. I think they got hungry on the cold ride down. I didn't really notice them until I was chewed up. I would bet over 100 bites. I am glad the rest were stretched and dry. We bought over 100 lynx from them. The two guys were from Manning Alberta.

I have never ever seen a bug on a lynx in all my years trapping them here.
The lynx were likely bagged with marten etc and picked up fleas after they were dead.

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/04/20 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I have never ever seen a bug on a lynx in all my years trapping them here.
The lynx were likely bagged with marten etc and picked up fleas after they were dead.

It may have been, but they didn't bring us any marten. All they brought were lynx. I have never seen a bug on coon and have played with enough of them that I should have.

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 01:31 AM

BC and Alberta have a flea on Lynx because of the climate. They are frost resistant so they come back to life when frozen multiple times, something few insects can do even after a blood feed.

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by Northof50
BC and Alberta have a flea on Lynx because of the climate. They are frost resistant so they come back to life when frozen multiple times, something few insects can do even after a blood feed.

I figure these had been froze and thawed out and were hungry. All I know is I got ate by fleas while I was fleshing and stretching that lynx from Manning.
Posted By: Hern

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 11:34 AM

I turn on Flea Trap most nights in the fur shed.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 12:45 PM

Beaver is where I've found the worst fleas in Nebraska.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Hern
I turn on Flea Trap most nights in the fur shed.
[Linked Image]

thats cool

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 01:30 PM

Gary, those little crawlers are actually considered beetles. They are flat the opposite way than a flea, and if I remember right, they eat the dead skin cells, not blood like fleas do. We used to have them on all the beaver I caught, now not so much. I'm guessing water quality has something to do with it.

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 05:50 PM

I was going to comment but I did not which beaver he was talking about...because trapping was not mentioned in Gary's thread.

Re: Bugs on Coon ID - 11/05/20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by Northof50
I was going to comment but I did not which beaver he was talking about...because trapping was not mentioned in Gary's thread.

smile laugh grin
© 2024 Trapperman Forums