Home

Raccoon fat

Posted By: k snow

Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:31 PM

Simple question. Can coon fat be rendered down like bear fat?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:38 PM

while I have never tried it on a coon , it works with every other kind of fat I can think of , duck , goose , chicken , deer , bear , beef , pig

when I par boiled a coon to get the fat off it comes to the top of the water

should work

you going to make a new brand of patch lube ? "Bandit Lube"
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:46 PM

Yes. I use it for oiling leather. Mine is semi liquid.

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
while I have never tried it on a coon , it works with every other kind of fat I can think of , duck , goose , chicken , deer , bear , beef , pig

when I par boiled a coon to get the fat off it comes to the top of the water

should work

you going to make a new brand of patch lube ? "Bandit Lube"

I want to do something productive with the little trash pandas this year.
Posted By: Bob Jameson

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:49 PM

Yes

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:52 PM

Looks like I'll be digging out the wife's good pot.

Should I leave the kitchen windows open? grin
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:52 PM

For God's sake,don't do what I once did,throw a bunch of it into a woodstove

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

Sounds like a new spin on a grease fire.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 07:57 PM

I was going to mention that I used my coon scrapings as a firestarter in my outdoor wood stove. They're very volatile; as flammable as kerosene.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 08:19 PM

Could be the new whale oil , you might be bottling it and selling it for big money and create a new coon market

if your wife has a Le Creuset that would be the pan to use for sure , good even heating https://www.amazon.com/Creuset-Sign...amp;refRID=693A3QEB4J41E4G2TNB2&th=1
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 08:38 PM

Coon fat has been a staple fuel in our furshed woodstove for years. Nothing gets the temp up on a cold day like a big chunk of coon fat. It can also be rendered down to and made into candles. Makes a pretty nice little grease candle.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 08:43 PM

People will smell the smoke from your stove and think there's a kentucky chicken joint somewhere nearby.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by Davisfur
Coon fat has been a staple fuel in our furshed woodstove for years. Nothing gets the temp up on a cold day like a big chunk of coon fat. It can also be rendered down to and made into candles. Makes a pretty nice little grease candle.

What’s the candle smell like? Rabies?
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

Did that once and thought the stove was going to explode. But.... As Boco said
.. Outside smelled like KFC.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner

Does it go rancid?
Posted By: Davisfur

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 08:58 PM

Yup no rabies. Smells pretty good. Like greasy food cooking. It'll make a guy hungry when he's been too long in the fur shed lol
Posted By: teepee2

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 09:22 PM

I know a guy that used it as patch lube. He said it worked good. My father in law said they used possum fat in the rear end of their model A. "Motor oil is motor oil." laugh

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by PAskinner

Does it go rancid?

Hasn't yet. I'm about to make some more.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 10:11 PM

iv thrown small chunks in the stove but iv heard if you burn too much at once you can warp your woodstove. My neighbor throws them in his chicken pen and they pick the fat clean!
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 10:30 PM

It's like napalm.When I was young and didn't know any better I put a bunch of news papers Id laid on the floor of our back shed,which was connected to our house,to catch the coon fat as I fleshed,I don't know how many I fleshed before I got the bright idea of throwing everything in the wood stove.I swore the stove was going to blow,I was trying to think of excuses to explain how the house burnt to the ground.I never did that again.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 11:09 PM

yes you can ,i do every year an make bird suet
Posted By: west river rogue

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/04/20 11:09 PM

i use to waterproof boots with it.
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 12:13 AM

Good clean coon fat rendered makes a fine cooking oil.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by west river rogue
i use to waterproof boots with it.

I did that ONCE. Ended up tossing the boots after I couldn't stand the smell anymore. Maybe I've just skun too man coon but (like rats) can't stand the smell anymore.

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 12:39 AM

Coon fat gums up the screen on your cap pretty good. Does the same with the inner pipe. It's weird. It looks like a ton of black spiderwebs all over the place. Burns like crazy though....Just not a fan of cleaning the cap off all the time.

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by QuietButDeadly

Barf
Posted By: QuietButDeadly

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 01:08 AM

Originally Posted by Calvin

Barf

If you have not tried it, don't knock it.

Had a fella render some at the NC Convention a couple years ago. And, yes, there were a lot of skeptics in the crowd. After he strained it, he used it to pan fry up some bobcat rear quarter steaks. He also served the cracklings to anyone who wanted to try them while they lasted which was not long at all. The bobcat fried in the coon grease did not last long either. The skeptics who had an open mind about it, learned something that day.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 01:30 AM

Cat deep fried in coon fat mmmm good.
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 04:04 PM

We used to use it for stove fuel while fleshing in the fur shed.. Makes a nice, hot fire. We still put the scrapings out back for suet for the birds.. They will flat work it over in the cold times.
Posted By: Allan Minear

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 05:00 PM

Some folks asked me for all the raccoon fat I could get them , they wanted to make some lotion for there hands .
I set them up with a good supply but never seen any of the finished product .
Posted By: CTRAPS

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by k snow

If you use her real good pots, you might want to leave the front door open as that's probably where she is going to throw you out of. grin

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by CTRAPS
Originally Posted by k snow

If you use her real good pots, you might want to leave the front door open as that's probably where she is going to throw you out of. grin

Getting thrown out would be the least painful outcome I can imagine from that. She wouldn't kill me either, that would be too quick.

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 06:00 PM

Honestly, once it's rendered, it just smells like any cooking oil. But I would render it outside over a fire, and not in my wife's good cookware, because I like living.

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 06:02 PM

Well, I caught a regular raccoon and a real dark, really big but tailless one this morning. Looks like both will be donating fat to the experiment.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Calvin

Barf

X2 sick

Makes good instant boyscout tho!!!!
Posted By: mask bandit

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 08:27 PM

I've burned coon fat and the whole carcass in a outdoor furnace and the flames would shoot out of the pipe like a jet engine.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 10:06 PM

I rendered it for several years and even commercially selling for awhile to a guy that biofuel when fuel was so expensive. You can use it for everything from cooking, candles, boot grease and even light duty lubrication. No it does not stink when burned smells like a fast food joint.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

rabies.................ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...............i'm rolling man!!!!!!!
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Raccoon fat - 11/05/20 10:57 PM

You do know the coon is in the bear family right ?

Re: Raccoon fat - 01/07/22 12:25 PM

Well, I did render down some raccoon fat earlier this winter and I tried it this last weekend as a patch lube for my flintlock. Shoot day was 12 degrees, spit patching was NOT going to work. I was very impressed with the fat as a patch lube. Shot number 15 loaded as easy as the first, no swabbing the barrel at all. Accuracy seemed normal. I will definitely be rendering down more.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Raccoon fat - 01/07/22 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

LOL smile
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Raccoon fat - 01/07/22 02:50 PM

Some people use coon fat as a sun screen lotion. It must be rendered down to a clean pure cream.
Posted By: charles

Re: Raccoon fat - 01/07/22 03:13 PM

What chemical in raccoon fat provides UV protection? I remember using baby oil and iodine as a kid, but it didn't have any sunblock either.
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Raccoon fat - 01/07/22 03:21 PM

snow use the dried rine for bait and the oil same as fish oil will be some of the best bait you will ever use every thing likes it even coon a really good die for your traps and works good for the moving parts on a live trap and yes it will keep your hands clean and soft just like working on coon in the fur shed its one of the the best products produced that a lot dont know anything about because they wont try it been using it for years have a 100 gallons of it and havnt put up very many coon for 5 years just like all oil it will last for years
Posted By: Joe1

Re: Raccoon fat - 01/07/22 04:41 PM

i will render some for a dollar a gallon or a 20 dollar minimum for less than 20 gallon or maybe 50/50 if any one wants to try it thats a lot cheaper than fish oil and a lot of uses for it but it has to be fresh i aways did mine as i scraped the hides no rotten stuff and not used for human consumption and nothing but coon fat will furnish picture of end product if someone wants it dont know how to put pictures on here
© 2024 Trapperman Forums