Home

Dog found deer

Posted By: Yes sir

Dog found deer - 11/06/20 12:58 AM

I had to enlist the help of a trained recovery dog to find a buck i shot the other day. Truly amazing the ability of some dogs noses. 25 hour old trail. Other deer walking over trail after the shot and the next day. Dog picked up trail at site of hit worked it at the speed of my normal walk for first 150 yds, then deer must have milled around a small area because dog took about 45 seconds to line the trail out. From that point on it was dog dragging us along as fast as we could walk for the next 200 yds to the deer. Learned they trail by a pheromone released by deer that is wounded seriously. Not a drop of blood our eyes could find until we got to deer. The are worth the $ if you want to find a dead deer. Would have never found the deer without the dog. Took the dog about 4 minutes on a 25 hour old trail. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: k snow

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:01 AM

Impressive deer and great recovery. I've heard of those dogs doing some amazing things.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:03 AM

Good doggy!

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:05 AM

[Linked Image]
Kid that has dog tracked 160 deer last year. I was the 4th for him that day and he had 2 more to do that night that the first one was a hour and half away and he left my place at about 7 pm.

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Good doggy!

That doggy made him north of 35 thousand last year and he's on track to do more than that this year.
Posted By: trapper124

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:08 AM

How much does he charge

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by Yes sir
Originally Posted by Leftlane
Good doggy!

That doggy made him north of 35 thousand last year and he's on track to do more than that this year.

Wait what?
I bet dogs eat way less than a string of ponies! We been doin it wrong

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:12 AM

150 within a hundred miles. $1.50 a mile over that. And a tip if your happy about their work. He said the guys paying thousands for a hunt tip really well. First guy I call was so busy he said he'd be to my place at 3 am. I called him at 8 am.

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:17 AM

Bidness is boomin!

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:17 AM

Lefty
I'm on the same line your on.... a beagle would eat less than a buckskin.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:20 AM

What a Deal
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:22 AM

Way to go. Congrats
Posted By: trap master

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 03:10 AM

good dog and congrats on a nice buck and recovery. not tryin to be a jerk but sounds like theres a lot of "hunters" who need to work on marksmanship if theres that much need for tracking dogs. Dont get me wrong id call one too if i thought it would help.
Posted By: TurkeyTime

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 03:15 AM

Good deal and nice buck.
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 03:16 AM

Nice buck! Are you going to eat him?

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park
Nice buck! Are you going to eat him?

Nope it was in the 70s that day. He was getting a little tight already. Cut off about 40 pounds of meat to be worked up for bait.

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 03:31 AM

Originally Posted by trap master
good dog and congrats on a nice buck and recovery. not tryin to be a jerk but sounds like theres a lot of "hunters" who need to work on marksmanship if theres that much need for tracking dogs. Dont get me wrong id call one too if i thought it would help.

I think your right about that and their tracking skills also. I had very high lung entry and about six inches up exit though rib cage (double lung) but it didnt exit skin so no blood. Too many people taking 60 yd plus shots too. And I can tell you the trackers are not fans of expandable broad heads.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by trap master

I think your right about that and their tracking skills also. I had very high lung entry and about six inches up exit though rib cage (double lung) but it didnt exit skin so no blood. Too many people taking 60 yd plus shots too. And I can tell you the trackers are not fans of expandable broad heads.

why wouldn't they be

More work for them!
Posted By: trapperinfo

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 05:15 AM

Awesome!!!

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 05:37 AM

Lefty
I'm on the same line your on.... a beagle would eat less than a buckskin.

Yeah and day wagin ain't all its cracked up to be once you have a family to feed.

I'm glad you found your buck and that your sister and nephews are famous LOL
Posted By: tmrschessie

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 06:42 AM

Got a good one here but do not hire out. He has recovered three deer and no formal training. He is a Hanging Tree Cattle dog. Like stories like this as the dogs earn their keep daily like the rest of us and then excel when needed.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 09:32 AM

That's pretty neat for sure! It's amazing what their noses can do. I've always wondered how much they can tell just from a scent.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 10:23 AM

that's great nice buck smile
Posted By: Claypool313

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 11:48 AM

Im impressed. Pardon my ignorance as ive never recovered a deer that sat that long in 70 degree weather. I could see throwing away tender loins and flanks, but why legs and backstraps? If he bled out internally to chest /gut cavity, why would meat covered in skin go bad so fast?
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 12:02 PM

Glad you found him. Those dogs are amazing! Reading a book now on grizzly hunting with dogs in New Mexico. A good properly trained dog is worth his weight in gold no matter what your after. Congratulations
Posted By: warrior

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 12:35 PM

Congrats on the save. Wouldve been a shame to lose that one to the buzzards.
Even though I grew up with hounds and know what canine noses are capable of it still amazes me.
Posted By: Flipper

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 01:51 PM

24 hours in this heat good eating. In my experience double lung deer rarely go beyond 50 yards one lung shot deer go considerly farther and can take several hours to die. Lot of high tree stands with sharp downward angle result in single lung. That’s why you shouldn’t be in a hurry to follow up. I have recovered a lot of 1 lung shot deer and quit often will jump them and the final run usally bleeds them out in a hurry

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Flipper
24 hours in this heat good eating. In my experience double lung deer rarely go beyond 50 yards one lung shot deer go considerly farther and can take several hours to die. Lot of high tree stands with sharp downward angle result in single lung. That’s why you shouldn’t be in a hurry to follow up. I have recovered a lot of 1 lung shot deer and quit often will jump them and the final run usally bleeds them out in a hurry

The double lung shot you describe, from my understanding is the result of a center lung hit were it severely collapses both lungs and sometimes cutting major artery to heart seriously dropping blood pressure immediately basically cutting oxygen to brain very quickly
A shot the hits less than center of one or both lungs will result in a little slower death. You most certainly can hit both lungs and death takes 5 minutes or more. I assure you my hit entered right side of rib cage and exited left rib cage resulting in both lungs being hit by broadhead.
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Dog found deer - 11/06/20 07:32 PM

Back in 1996, I shot a bear late one evening while hunting over bait in Maine. Had some blood, but by the time the guide showed up to pick me up, it was pitch black and it was decided to go back in the morning. Around midnight it began to rain, and rained for a couple hours. The next morning, we were back with a Plott hound on a lead. There was no blood trail remaining, but that Plott was pulling had on he lead. We found the bear about 150 yards away in the thick spuce. I never would have believed that dog could recover anything from a washed out, 12 hour old trail.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Dog found deer - 11/07/20 04:24 PM

I have a dog man in my phone just in case, lol. His dog is 100% on gut shot deer. Never lost one. He’s said it 1000 times, can’t get a shot at the vitals? Then gut shoot it and we’ll find it. Call him when you shoot and he’ll tell you what time he’ll be there...generally 5-6 hours later on a gut shot deer. He doesn’t charge a dime and just asks for tips. Don’t think anyone’s ever tipped less than $100-200.
Posted By: charles

Re: Dog found deer - 11/07/20 04:45 PM

Had a blue heeler that tracked many deer. She died in 2019.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums