Home

Those n95 masks.....

Posted By: Canvasback2

Those n95 masks..... - 11/06/20 03:05 PM

Are those N95 masks better than N99 masks?
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/06/20 03:11 PM

No. N99 are better but they're hard to find. They have to be worn and fitted correctly or you may as well go naked
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/06/20 04:49 PM

There are a ton of fake mask on the market.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/06/20 04:56 PM

Better for what purpose?
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/06/20 05:45 PM

Never seen the N99 but our ambulance crew were all fitted with the N95 back in May. Not one person on our crew passed the smell/taste test. Not one. Needless to say we dont wear them or any other mask. The cloth masks people are wearing are for looks only.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/06/20 09:18 PM

Might be a good idea to stock up on those as I imagine the Harris administration will require 24/7 masks while locked down for the next four years.
Posted By: Page

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 04:57 PM

Most people have never taken the test. I have many times and aside from a full face mask I've never been able to pass. I can taste that crap just thinking about it!
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 07:08 PM

What's the smell taste test all about?
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
Never seen the N99 but our ambulance crew were all fitted with the N95 back in May. Not one person on our crew passed the smell/taste test. Not one. Needless to say we dont wear them or any other mask. The cloth masks people are wearing are for looks only.

Not to ask a stupid question but why dont you wear them as an ambulance crew?
Posted By: charles

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 07:26 PM

The smell of coconut is frequently lost I read.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by BuckMink
What's the smell taste test all about?

Basically, a smoke is used to see if your mask is sealing around your face. If you can smell or taste it it ain't working.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 08:48 PM

Banana oil is another common test. Uncle Sam used CS gas on us vets. LOL
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 10:59 PM

I just got a box of 3M ..N95 masks.....for my work. They have an exhaust button on the front...not Covid friendly
Posted By: danvee

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/07/20 11:19 PM

Hard to get most are going to hospitals and first responders hard to understand how the first Sherman tanks were coming off the assembly lines 3 months after WW 2 got going and we could build an aircraft carrier in a month but we cant get enough masks.
Posted By: WadeRyan

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 12:03 AM

I always smile a bit when I see people wearing N-95’s in public. Beards and all they’re virtually worthless. I couldn’t pass the fit test (where they check the seal) with even a 5 o clock shadow. Have to shave every day for it to be effective for me.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by BuckMink
Originally Posted by yukon254

Not to ask a stupid question but why dont you wear them as an ambulance crew?

Because they dont work. Read my post. We were all fitted, but none of us passed the smell taste test....that means the masks failed..
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 12:10 AM

Originally Posted by danvee
Hard to get most are going to hospitals and first responders hard to understand how the first Sherman tanks were coming off the assembly lines 3 months after WW 2 got going and we could build an aircraft carrier in a month but we cant get enough masks.

We used to manufacture our own stuff.
Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 12:11 AM

When mask dont fit properly they actually put you at increased risk.
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bob_Iowa
When mask dont fit properly they actually put you at increased risk.

wearing any of the masks put you at increased risks. especially if you're reusing a mask and not cleaning it. you cant properly clean it with your home washer and dryer.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by WadeRyan
I always smile a bit when I see people wearing N-95’s in public. Beards and all they’re virtually worthless. I couldn’t pass the fit test (where they check the seal) with even a 5 o clock shadow. Have to shave every day for it to be effective for me.

And don't gain or lose any weight, either. That can screw up your fit.
Posted By: tjm

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Banana oil is another common test. Uncle Sam used CS gas on us vets. LOL

I remember that.
Posted By: trapperEd

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 07:15 AM

NO !
Posted By: oneoldboot

Re: Those n95 masks..... - 11/08/20 10:51 AM

I conduct fit testing with the N95 and they do need to fit properly to work. Just to clarify, the N95 does not prevent you from smelling anything. If you taste the solution then the mask does not fit properly, either the nasal bridge needs to be better fitted around the nose, it's the wrong size, or you're just SOL and need a PAPR.

Personally, I failed with the hospital grade N95, but brought some in from home and passed with that 3M model. It is also recommended to be fit tested annually or after weight gain/loss of more than 10 lbs, as that may change how the mask fits.

Like it or not, masks and social distancing do work.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums