Home

drone trap check

Posted By: s^s

drone trap check - 11/07/20 05:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrPEgxUTp-Qcoyote trap check
Posted By: bfisch

Re: drone trap check - 11/07/20 07:19 PM

Nice footage! I don't have a drone but I we can't use them here in taking animals.
Posted By: charles

Re: drone trap check - 11/07/20 07:21 PM

Could a drone be programmed to check and video an entire trapline. Wouldn’t this satisfy the 24 requirement?
Posted By: MChewk

Re: drone trap check - 11/07/20 08:03 PM

I am no techy but I can tell you a drone saved me a few hours of scouting this summer....they are slick!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: drone trap check - 11/07/20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by charles
Could a drone be programmed to check and video an entire trapline. Wouldn’t this satisfy the 24 requirement?

Yes you can program way points on some. Would it be legal for trap checks I have no idea. That would be state dependent.
Posted By: Bushmaster

Re: drone trap check - 11/07/20 08:17 PM

Very slick !! laugh
Posted By: redsnow

Re: drone trap check - 11/07/20 09:26 PM

Hmmm, looks to me like that'd take the fun out of checking traps.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: drone trap check - 11/07/20 09:29 PM

This question came up before and a few guys checked with their game depts.The answer was no,you must make a visual check yourself.
Posted By: Artrapper16

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 11:30 AM

Wouldn’t that qualify as a visual check because you can see your set in real time
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 12:18 PM

Years ago had guy try get my brother inlaw and I in trouble. Said we weren't checking traps that we were glassing from truck with spotting scope. Had them set up so could see them from gate by road not have to walk in field every day.. Not sure if drone is legal here but could see how it would be slick..Would for sure save time checking empty traps. Still have to drive in or walk in if got catch.

Mac
Posted By: coalbank

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 12:37 PM

Not an approved electronic device in PA for checking traps. A drone could save the trappers life in certain weather conditions.. Fortunately we can still use a drone to take video of our traplines.

Drones are being used to CHECK powerlines, bridges, oil rigs and more. Just a matter of time until it's use for checking traps is challenged. Or the law catches up with the times.

Equipped with GPS they could keep all sets recorded for zero overlooked sets as well.
Posted By: coondagger2

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 12:44 PM

I'm not experienced with drones so I'm purely asking this for my education...

Could you see with enough detail on the viewing screen to tell if a trap had been set off or dug out? I know it's easy to see a coyote dancing but could I see if that trap had been set off and I needed to remake the set?

Also, a lot of my trapping is in the woods along old logging roads. Are these things easy enough to fly that I could fly it in the woods? Thanks!
Posted By: Boco

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 01:01 PM

Be good for moose hunting.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 01:14 PM

Optics on some of these drones are exceptional so yes you can clearly see if you need to rework your set for whatever reason. They are also maneuverable enough to travel along trails and such, but any obstacles such as a downed branch in it's path can cause it to crash. The technology is impressive but still not like boots on the ground.
Posted By: lindner115

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 02:39 PM

Another thought and I'm not sure how I feel about this either, just a thought..... How about cell cams? Do they count as a trap check? You get a pic with a time stamp.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 04:51 PM

Weather it is or not, I don't think I could afford one camera per set.
Posted By: Redknot

Re: drone trap check - 09/08/21 05:48 PM

I have a feeling under the ice beaver would be an issue...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums