Home

Which stihl chainsaw to buy

Posted By: larrywaugh

Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 12:31 AM

I am looking to buy a new chainsaw. I am leaning towards a stihl because that is what I've mostly used. It will be used around my farm mainly to create deer habitat areas and clearing out unwanted trees so it will see medium to heavy use. My main concern is getting one that will last and not need repaired. There is a large assortment to choose from so what has worked good for you?
Posted By: Antarctica

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 12:35 AM

362, or a 440.

that's presuming you only have one saw and are cutting firewood.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 12:37 AM

Any of the Pro grade saws with 60cc and up will do what you want. I like the larger models as I can run a longer bar and don't have to stoop when bucking up trees and they just flat out cut faster so I don't have to hold them as long as a smaller saw. So my go to is my 661.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 12:39 AM

I’ve got an 036 with 18” bar, a 391 with a 20” bar, and an old 039 farm boss with 20” bar. I find myself grabbing the farm boss most of the time.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 12:49 AM

The farm boss caught my attention.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 12:55 AM

I've got a 291 stihl with a 20" bar. A great all around saw for what I need one for. But it's way too much saw for cutting small stuff like 4" to 6" to 8" limbs and trees, or small evergreens out of the pastures. I am picking up a 180 stihl Monday and the dealer is swapping out the normal; bar and chain with a little heavier one. Sprocket stays the same. This saw is much lighter and easier to handle. It will make a nice addition to my chain saw needs!
Posted By: Bowwhitetail

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:20 AM

I use a 391. It is a good all around saw
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:26 AM

Whatever comparable sized Husqavarna is available. Stihl used to be a great saw. Used to be.
Posted By: chicken1

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:27 AM

261. You can run it all day and still have your arms. My first pick for clearing all but the biggest stuff. Even then gets the job done.
Posted By: midlander

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:30 AM

Sounds like a 261 would work well for you. More power than a 291, less weight than a 291 and last much longer than a 291.
It is one of their pro models. Pay once, cry once.
Posted By: run

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:32 AM

I run a Stihl 261. Biggest joke out there. I'm dead serious.
Posted By: Deer Lane

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:39 AM

I sold Stihl for 21 years. You must be a young buck, to be running big saws like this group. LOL
Posted By: midlander

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by run

I run one too, and there aint a dang thing wrong with it. Id buy another in a heartbeat...but I wont need to because it runs flawless and it will last my lifetime. Oh, and im dead serious too....
Posted By: robert.d12

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by run

Care to share why? I’ve never even held one, just wondering.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by run

Curious as to why you think that.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 02:40 AM

291 is a big seller. Super strong and smooth. A little heavy but balanced is good with 18”. It will handle 20” fine. Someone in the golden years might get a little pooped running it. Like I said, young buck saws.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 02:49 AM

What do you like Deer Lane? I've noticed myself walking around using climber saws more often!
Posted By: Ohiowoodchuck

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 02:52 AM

Any of the pro series Stihls.
Posted By: nramemb

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 03:09 AM

I like my 271, I have a 361 but it is a little heavy for all day.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 03:14 AM

I have a 250 with an 18" bar and it does a great job with wood up to 8" or so. I'm 64 and prefer a lighter saw if I can do it. I do have a bigger saw but try to leave it in the pickup except for the logs.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 04:19 AM

I have a Stihl MS 291 that I bought new, probably in 2012. It reliably starts on the second pull. It's been big enough to cut up everything I have wanted to cut. It sits without being used for many months at a time.

I would like to also have a small, light model, Stihl because most of what I cut, is light brush and smaller branches to grill with. I don't need the extra horsepower to cut quickly, for most of what I cut. I would use a lighter saw more too, especially when cutting bush honeysuckle and sapling honey locusts.

Keith
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 04:24 AM

I’ve had my 261 for a number of years now. I have dropped a lot of trees and cut many, many cords of wood with it. It’s never given me any problems. It’s lightweight and powerful. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Run, I would love to hear why you have that opinion.
Posted By: Dans

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 04:31 AM

Pro series - 026 - 18" bar for bucking, 441 - 20 & 24" bar depending on tree diameter, 461 - 24" & 30" . Run 3/8 pitch chain and bar on all three. Don't have to worry about different size files. Buy a Stihl 2 in 1 chainsaw sharpener and learn to use it. Best $35 investment for chain life.

If you ever pinch a saw and we all do, you will wish you had a 2nd. The 026 has got me out of a bind more than once.

The PRO Series saws last a long time

I have a tree farm and use all three for TSI and cut 12-14 cord of wood a year for my own use.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 05:33 AM

Something around the 290ish series is really handy, not really commercial work grade, but economical yet something that you can be productive with.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 11:00 AM

No power. My neighbor has a Husky no idea on the model number. But it's smaller than the 261. He cut circles around me, I wanted to find the closest varmint hole to hide in.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 11:25 AM

I cut locust that has been curing for 15+ years.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 11:42 AM

The Husqvarna model.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 11:54 AM

I've got a 028 from the late 80s that runs like the day I bought it and in recent years acquired an MS362C. Got it all well covered now and couldn't be happier with the brand.
Posted By: KB64

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by NebrCatMan
I've got a 291 stihl with a 20" bar. A great all around saw for what I need one for. But it's way too much saw for cutting small stuff like 4" to 6" to 8" limbs and trees, or small evergreens out of the pastures. I am picking up a 180 stihl Monday and the dealer is swapping out the normal; bar and chain with a little heavier one. Sprocket stays the same. This saw is much lighter and easier to handle. It will make a nice addition to my chain saw needs!

Those are great little saws. I agree with swapping the .043 chain for .050. We also swapped the bar and chain on our pole saw to .050 as well.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Twolines
You should buy the genetically inferior one that scuba posted.

Hey it was cold. When they warm up they look like this

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Wright Brothers

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 01:47 PM

What brand is the slab cutter and how do you like it?

I see Stihl sells a fuel injected saw. That's a first as far as I know.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wright Brothers
What brand is the slab cutter and how do you like it?

I see Stihl sells a fuel injected saw. That's a first as far as I know.

Its a cheap clone from Amazon. I added the trailer winch. The saw is my 661 with a 36 " bar. It works a treat but is a good work out when you slab a good size hardwood log.
[Linked Image]

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 02:22 PM

Best advice I can give.
Go to dealership and pick up a saw your interested in and others.
If it don’t have the bar on you want, ask to have it installed. ( Good dealers will do this for you )
It’s you that’s buying the saw, not the dealer, not trapperman.
Larrywaugh in your first post you said, Medium to heavy use with low repairs.
Homeowner is out, so Farm & Ranch is what I will suggest.
271 or 291
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/08/20 03:28 PM

"Creating deer habitat" in Kansas. What is the diameter/species of the trees you're going to be cutting?

Out here on the Leftist coast, we have everything from scrubby little ash to very large fir and cottonwood. Running a smaller saw makes sense a majority of the time. Bigger saws for serious tree work.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/09/20 01:32 AM

I'd be happy to make a suggestion or two. But, since you insist on a Stihl....I'm out.

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/09/20 01:53 AM

Most of the trees I would cut would be less than 15 with one occasionally bigger than that. I dont need one to clear cut a forest. I just dont want one that breaks down a lot.
Posted By: ack

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/09/20 02:33 AM

If I recall correctly as long as the second number is a 6 then it is a pro series.
With that said I have an 028 super and a 360 pro. I have not started the 028 in several years.

The 360 uses rubber vibration mounts. The 361 and 362 uses springs. I know springs can and may break but I can assure you rubber mounts will wear out. That's about the only issues except crank seals. Old dry seals are a common reason a lot of saws are given up on.
Less then 10$ will replace them.
Posted By: WakopaWalker

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/09/20 02:36 AM

I had my dad's old 028 when I moved to the land of aspen and wood stoves. It was old and worn out, didn't last with the hard use. I used a 290, a 311 and another one, 025?. When I went into the dealership, they were wanting to sell me a 291, until I said I wanted the pro level saw. I went with the 261 and don't regret it at all. It has as much or more power than the 311, but at a fraction of the weight. I don't use it as much as I did that first winter, but could easily put it to work cutting cords of wood.

For Kansas, unless you are cutting down some of the big oaks, that size saw will do most everything you need it to do. The biggest thing will be the chain sharpness if you cut any hedge. That's a dirty, oily tree that will wear down your chains quick, no matter what saw you use.
Posted By: grapestomper

Re: Which stihl chainsaw to buy - 11/09/20 03:09 PM

pro saw for durability. ms362
© 2024 Trapperman Forums