Home

Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch!

Posted By: dustytinner

Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 03:23 PM

My daughter stepped up on the ball to look in the back of the truck and said dad, it just broke! Rusted right through on the tube you slide into the receiver. Pretty scary since I just pulled my boat last Friday. Never ever seen this happen before. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Boco

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 03:27 PM

Better check the rest of your vehicle too by the look of the reciever.
I put my hitch in a bucket of black oil between uses.Same with chains and other stuff thats prone to deterioration from rust between uses.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 03:39 PM

Need more salt on the roads!
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 03:40 PM

Crazy
Posted By: Matt28

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 03:44 PM

Thats crazy that hitch looks old.
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by dustytinner
My daughter stepped up on the ball to look in the back of the truck and said dad, it just broke! Rusted right through on the tube you slide into the receiver. Pretty scary since I just pulled my boat last Friday. Never ever seen this happen before. [Linked Image]

Scary. I saw a truck that wrecked while towing a 24’ boat on a trailer due to the back end of the truck frame letting loose due to rusting out. Guess you should check your equipment every quarter of a decade or so.....
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 03:53 PM

I need to get in the habit of pulling my hitch out after every use and greasing it like my grandfather did.

his hitch was always greased and wrapped in 2 plastic shopping bags and stowed away inside the vehicle

I left mine in on my van and when I wanted it out I hitched up to a tree with a strap pin out and it was so welded in by rust I could not yank it out, beat it with a sledge I could get it to go in 1/8 inch then yank back out 1/8 inch but never more , tried penetrating oil , just could not get it to budge out
Posted By: Jurassic Park

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
I put my hitch in a bucket of black oil between uses.Same with chains and other stuff thats prone to deterioration from rust between uses.

You must not use your hitch very much lol.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 04:21 PM

Dang shocked
Posted By: snowy

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by wildflights
Need more salt on the roads!

Yep! Can tell what state an outfit comes from in this country, by just looking at the rust from their outfits. No need for license plates. LOL
Posted By: hippie

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 04:51 PM

I'm seeing lots of rusted out trailer hitches when doing state inspections.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 05:22 PM

Dang man you better check your frame and running gear too, that pickup might be about to fall apart, literally!
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by dustytinner

You saved the ball and nut, of course?
Posted By: trapperinfo

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 07:06 PM

grin grin grin
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I need to get in the habit of pulling my hitch out after every use and greasing it like my grandfather did.

his hitch was always greased and wrapped in 2 plastic shopping bags and stowed away inside the vehicle

I left mine in on my van and when I wanted it out I hitched up to a tree with a strap pin out and it was so welded in by rust I could not yank it out, beat it with a sledge I could get it to go in 1/8 inch then yank back out 1/8 inch but never more , tried penetrating oil , just could not get it to budge out

By law in Minnesota, you can not leave your receiver hitch in when not in use. New LEO in town decided to enforce it although no one removes it unless they're selling the vehicle or such. I guess if we follow the law, then we wouldn't have a problem taking it out when we need to.
Posted By: jeff karsten

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 11:24 PM

Pete tow a gravity box full of corn around the block that'll loosen it up
i've seen hitches that were made out of light gauge material 1/8th in maybe less that'll rust out along the weld pretty fast
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/08/20 11:41 PM

And one reason I crawl under my truck every fall and spray everything with either paint, fluid film or undercoating. And if you don't pull the hitch out before winter and lube it up, you'll never get it out.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/09/20 12:17 AM

Only way to get a rusted in insert like that one out is lots of heat. A torch with a big rosebud tip works miracles! Just be careful around gas tanks! If you do that once, you prolly will pull it out between uses next time.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/09/20 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jurassic Park

You must not use your hitch very much lol.

this ^^^^^
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/09/20 12:33 AM

Can you get the rest of the hitch out of the receiver? I bought a 2002 Chevy pickup and hitch was rusted into the receiver. I ended up cutting the receiver hitch off and replacing it so I switch them out.
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/09/20 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by 20scout
By law in Minnesota, you can not leave your receiver hitch in when not in use. New LEO in town decided to enforce it although no one removes it unless they're selling the vehicle or such. I guess if we follow the law, then we wouldn't have a problem taking it out when we need to.

Originally Posted by Calvin
And one reason I crawl under my truck every fall and spray everything with either paint, fluid film or undercoating. And if you don't pull the hitch out before winter and lube it up, you'll never get it out.

Mine is almost always in place. As for a law...BS, or SHOW ME!

As for freezing up... maybe after several years. not one season.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/09/20 02:10 AM

All equipment on a road vehicle has to be working. A receiver hitch not attached, gets you those tickets
and if someone rear ends you ....your bumped did not work and all the damage is from the hitch.....your standing leg has just been cut off by the insurance lawyers with you paying the damages.

OH
all the damages...
where is PRC2 when you need him with his quote
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Oh Boy!!! Better check your hitch! - 11/09/20 02:26 AM

I run a Class IV pintle hitch. I paid about $85.00 for it. I'd be afraid someone would steal it if I left it in the receiver.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums