Home

I tried to watch this.....

Posted By: il.trapper

I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:53 AM

But I couldn't do it. My youngest son and a SIL can do this, but not me. Being real honest how many of you could do this type work?

Posted By: Hodagtrapper

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:56 AM

Nope!

Chris
Posted By: warrior

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:59 AM

Every male in my family at some time or another has hung steel. Nothing that high nor as a career mind you but enough to go look for other work.
My namesake uncle took a header from five stories up in Gary, IN a few months before I was born. I was named in his memory.
Posted By: Nessmuck

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:00 AM

Wouldnt do it if I was 25
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:02 AM

Made my living 35 years doing this. Nothing to it whistle
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:07 AM

Not I
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:14 AM

maybe when i was young

I used to run floor joists

I would be installing electric in pole barns with a set of planks between the trusses and a ladder on top of them

3 sections up on the scaffolding we would leave the wheels unlocked and just roll down the barn.
Posted By: cotton

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:17 AM

not this fat child
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:19 AM

Scared of heights. Not sure when it happened, I used be fine with it but scares the crap out of me now. frown
Posted By: curtisd

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:22 AM

if that was the only jobs out there I would have homeless and begging on the streets
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:27 AM

I got a wierd tingling in my willy watching that? crazy
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:49 AM

And I thought climbing for the phone company was bad, lol. I’m good on gaffs and in a climber up to 20-25ft, anything higher, they can get a bucket truck.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:52 AM

If I was younger I would. As a kid I always wanted to be a steeple Jack.
Posted By: corky

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:58 AM

I don't even like being this tall. (6'4")
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:59 AM

No way.

In college, me and a bunch of friends owned all the rock climbing gear and used to go rock climbing and rappelling on the weekends. Heights didn't bother me as long as I was roped off.

A little later I got a job working at a big grain elevator doing whatever needed to be done but it included a lot of mechanical maintenance to the legs working 196' in the air. As long as I was on the platform or on the ladders I was fine.

But even then, I was never coordinated enough to stand on a 12" wide beam while jostling another beam in place like these guys.

Fast forward 30 years. I can't stand on the edge of a roof without feeling woozy. I don't know what happened. Maybe I just figured out that I'm not invincible.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:01 AM

I used to walk I beams on county bridges and had no problem with that but don’t think I could handle that kind of work!

My youngest brother would do it, he does tree work and he’s been way up in them trees walking on branches that would pucker a squirrels butt and it doesn’t bother him
Posted By: Trapset

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:02 AM

NEVER!
Posted By: T-Rex

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:05 AM

Not exactly.

Does concrete slip form count?
Posted By: arcticotter

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:12 AM

Heal no!!!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:13 AM

Have erected metal buildings with the highest probably 50'. That iron gets awful hot in the summer sun so you learn to walk steel. I did disassemble 14 stories of pin and ring scaffolding one time. To fat and uncoordinated nowadays and there's easier ways to make money.
Posted By: Sfranks

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:14 AM

There tied off for the most part safe from falling I wouldn't be opposed to the work I weld them I beams all day long as it is if it wast for traveling alot I probably would be on a erection crew
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:16 AM

It's a lot more fun doing it after a 2 day drunk. laugh
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:30 AM

My dad was local 3 Pittsburgh, old school. I chose logging over that chit.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 04:06 AM

to you guyys that say ya have or would....I tip my hat to ya!!! I couldn't even watch the whole video.

Heights have scared me most of my life. Ladders I despise.

Had a fella teach me rappelling when I was a teen. Being tied off I could go off any cliff we could find. I really enjoyed it in fact. Same as climbing trees, as long as I am tied off I am fine.

My youngest son has built grain bridges over the Miss. river and done a lot of high work as a welder. Has also done some of the windmill work as high as 300'. He will ride any lift, walk the beams and work. Put him on a roof and he scared to move for a few minutes. Once he gets his balance he is fine.
Posted By: adam m

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 04:17 AM

My problem would be dropping things or needing to use the bathroom that high up. Lol
I think I would be fine as long I was tied off.

I was watching Mega Builders recently these foreign (asian) workers wouldn't tie off even on the top of a bridge they were constructing in Dubai. They were climbing all over like it was nothing.
Posted By: yukon254

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 04:37 AM

Never, hard fro me to watch it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 04:56 AM

If that's where the coyotes lived....
Put me in coach.
I'm ready to play!
Posted By: waggler

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 05:10 AM

I could get used to it. But I'm not sur I'd be too happy about how they'd have that piece of I-beam rigged up.
Posted By: Boco

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 05:12 AM

Had a chance to be a timberman in the mine years ago in the younger days.
Didnt care to work underground nor the thought of hanging inside a 4000 ft shaft changing out and spiking in new timbers.
Posted By: T-REV

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 11:14 AM

I hate heights. Im a pipe layer by trade. Waterline, sewer and storm drain. If anything I spend more time beneath the ground than above it. Im more comfortable being beneath the surface than way above it.

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:08 PM

If they work by the book there tied off basically at all times there more likely to get smashed or pinched setting them beams than falling
Posted By: snowy

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:21 PM

No it wouldn't be for me either. Glad there are people that do enjoy that type of work. If following their safety protocol it is a safe job but if you take a short cut your time maybe numbered.
All jobs are dangerous if safety isn't involved.

I never worked steel but have climbed 1000's of wood structures to the heights of 80' and everything in between.
Posted By: mississippiposse

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:21 PM

Not me
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:46 PM

I routinely work thirty to fifty feet up on scaffolding. That's not nearly as high as those high-steel workers in the video but plenty high enough to kill you. They would just have a lot longer to think about how badly they screwed up on the way down.

Another difference is that they are tied off at almost all times. I never am.

My ground guy:

[Linked Image]

Just finished renailing all the wood siding:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: K-zoo

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 01:51 PM

What kind of money do you think those guys are making? I have no idea.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:02 PM

Not me!

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by K-zoo

It depends on where and what but in the ~40$ to 50$ per hour range.
Posted By: MnMan

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:09 PM

That freaks me out. I am not even comfortable in a tree stand or on my roof.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 02:12 PM

No Way

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:19 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:19 PM

Make 19 an hour to make what they put up
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:28 PM

Heights are not a problem as long as I have one foot on the ground !

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Sfranks
Make 19 an hour to make what they put up

The high time/journeyman I know that work steel structures make double that. Interesting!!!
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by K-zoo

What ever scale is in there local. Here it's around $30 hr for Ironworkers in local 103. Scale changes normally less in the south and more in big cities and up north.

I was an Ironworker in 103 for 7 years. So yes been there done that. Most of our building are not over 200' and not many high rises. Bridges over the ohio river and smoke stacks are the highest things in our area. The 3 stacks I built maxed at 630' one bridge was 730' to the crowd nest.
Posted By: proratman

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 04:01 PM

I have a one story ranch house. I cannot even go on the roof anymore!

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 04:12 PM

I just weld together beams columns girders etc don't erect structures plus were the only structural shop that can make giant girders and stuff like the pictures I posted so they can be a little bit stingy on hourly pay lol not a whole lot of structural shops in central ohio
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 11:36 PM

That's some hefty stuff Sfranks! How many passes to fill out those bevels??

Ain't nothing to be scurred of when you're tied off! Worst case is a little swinging and bumping into whatever's under you. For me it's all about getting used to it. If I haven't worked up high in a year it takes me a day or so to get warmed up, like getting sea legs back.

I've never built a skyscraper, but I've flown in a crane basket a couple hundred feet above the water to inspect a derrick on an offshore oil platform. That and a lot of roofs and wall tops.

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/12/20 11:52 PM

Couldn't even tell you how many passes lol the big base plate was 4 inch's thick the 4 little plates are 2 inch's thick all full pen UTs so 2 inches of filler material per seam even with the 1/16 solid core it took a 10 hour shift and then some lol the highest iv ever squirreld around was 24 foot or so on these giant roof trusses 120 foot OA length
Posted By: lestan101

Re: I tried to watch this..... - 11/13/20 02:21 AM

I was in the Army for 11 years. Jumped out of planes and rappelled out of helicopters a bunch, but I couldn't even finish the video. I don't think I could have even done that in younger years. Too much for this boy.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums