Home

Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps

Posted By: red mt

Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:46 AM

So tell me the bennifits of a 24 hr. Check please .
Or do you fell someone let the ball bounce. ????
Posted By: adam m

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:50 AM

More chances for the trap to work.
Quicker response to theft.
More time outdoors. Just to name a few
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:52 AM

The laws where put in place to ease the stress of the animal. Most stress out when daylight comes. You have to remember everyone doesn't live where the animal has frozen to death is stiff waiting to be collected.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
The laws where put in place to ease the stress of the animal. Most stress out when daylight comes. You have to remember everyone doesn't live where the animal has frozen to death is stiff waiting to be collected.

But if he is dead frozen to death does it matter if by bullet or frozen .
Dead is dead ,,,tell me what you believe ,because I believe most wish they had a longer check honestly
Because someone dropped the ball .
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63

That could be part of why the 24 hr laws were put in place but I disagree with that premise. As matter of fact, I think agreeing with it gives ammo to the antis.

48hrs is a blink compared to how long it takes a critter to starve, die from disease, freezing or other natural causes. Hundreds and hundreds of critters lay on the side of the road for days waiting to die after being hit by cars. I submit that being restrained in a trap, relatively un injured for 48 hours is a far better death in human terms anyway, than most of the deaths critters have waiting for them.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:21 AM

Used to run a three day check in Wy. For the lower numbers of animals there, it was more productive for the trapper than running more empty traps. Many times a set may only be visited a couple time a week by a predator on his rounds. A trapper running a hundred miles a day would be at the set checking it twice to three times more than the predator that lived there! As for the animals, most yoou could not see any difference in their reaction to you when you approached the set, whether he was in the trap one or three days. Occasionaly you would see one that acted more tired, but that was very rare, mostly with fox. Ks has a once a day check, and if I ran as hard as I did when I was younger, I would hate it, but it's been that way all mmy life, so I abide by it. It is basically xa touchy feely thing for people that arn't trappers. Course you already know all that, Red! lol
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:31 AM

Well, it'll keep you from getting fined in Iowa. frown (With the exception of sets designed to drown, but IMO I'd be ok if that was private ground only since it gets abused in my view.)

I agree with 24hr. on public ground ,,,, You wouldn't want people driving/walking by and seeing an animal caught for days, bad PR,,,, However on private ground not so much. I have chased off coyotes from sets by having to come check everyday, so off the road and out of the uneducated public's view they are fine IMO.

Summery, 24hr on public, 48 on private ground, I think is a good compromise.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:32 AM

I am a fan of extended checks and gang setting for lethal sets.Much more efficient to give your traps time to work,also counterproductive visiting sets every day-it interferes with animal movements.Causes unneccesary disturbance.But the biggest advantage by far is being able to run more lines.
Even though it is legal here,I wouldnt leave a live animal in a trap longer than 24 hrs if at all possible.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:36 AM

Oh, by the way, I've never seen an animal freeze to deatth, another common myth! I could go into more detail, but will not on the open forum.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:47 AM

Makes keeping up with skinning and stretching easier, that is of course if you skin every day ha ha. Also any set thats fired or otherwise not in best working order can be addressed daily if needed. More working sets means more chances at fur. Limits time of lunging on stakes/anchors, chewing on traps, something chewing on your good fur. Some of this might not affect how you do things or your set up, but if its a law its not only meant for you it covers a broad spectrum of trappers. Ive always 24 hr checked, give or take a few hours here and there. As with most laws im sure someones pet or obvious neglect to caught animals was the reason it was brought into effect. We all suffer from others stupidity in some way shape or form. I guess I dont mind it so much, anticipation would drive me nuts anyways if I didn’t have to check daily by law. There are definitely times I would rather have a longer time period for traps to soak and ranching makes for some long days that are not always the easiest to get stuff checked.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:50 AM

On extended checks you certainly check traps every day,just not the same ones you checked the day before.
Posted By: Grandpa Trapper

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:11 AM

One thing on 24 hour checks most people don’t think about. If you set a trap at 8 AM, you have to check that trap by 8 AM the next day and no later or else you are technically breaking the law. This is the reason Pennsylvania has a 36 hour check law. I forget which state, but I remember reading once the state had a 24 hour check law and a Warden busted a trapper for going beyond the 24 hour limit even though the trapper was checking his traps the next day. The state then apparently changed their wording to limit this chicken crap stuff from happening again. Maybe one of you remembers which state this occurred in.
Posted By: lumberjack391

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by adam m
More chances for the trap to work.
Quicker response to theft.
More time outdoors. Just to name a few

I will give you that one
I never got anywhere with theft here in PA unless I caught them red handed.
I will be outdoors, just on my other line going the other direction.
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:38 AM

i agree with trapset ,
Posted By: 8117 Steve R

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:47 AM

A 24 hour check on land body grips reduces the damage to dead animals in the trap.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:02 AM

Couldn't imagine on my coon line going over 24 hours. Would lose out on a boat load of fur
Posted By: Pete in Frbks

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:03 AM

A 24 hr trap check law here in Alaska would probably get some trappers killed due to weather conditions. That's why common sense prevails here!

Pete
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:14 AM

I dont like the daily check thing but I abide by it. It absolutely is just a feel good thing. Animals regularly go a day or two without a drink or a meal. Especially in places like western ks.

Posted By: jabNE

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:46 AM

I like our each calendar day approach vs 24 hour checks. But a little more time allowed if one-way drowners used.
Posted By: gman

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:58 AM

I don't see how a person could longline on a 24 hour check.....makes no sense to me.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:07 PM

24hr check laws are mainly for areas where ag land and urban land are networked together and the possibility of a domestic catch exist. There are many things both trapper and pet owner can do to minimize the possibility, but it happens now and then.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by gman
I don't see how a person could longline on a 24 hour check.....makes no sense to me.

Agreed ,
Imo there is no way the miles that has to be put on to cover the ground is crazy out out here in the west.
Time it takes for a critter to come back through might be a week or 2. On k-9 and on cats 30 -40days is not uncommon. And then there weather condition that just is not safe to drive or be in some states.
I also believe most trappers know when to check traps.
And there is no law stating you must wait to look at traps either. I know of.
24 hr laws are unneeded
Posted By: spjones

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:19 PM

There are no actual benefits from a 24 hr check law.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by ~ADC~
Well, it'll keep you from getting fined in Iowa. frown (With the exception of sets designed to drown, but IMO I'd be ok if that was private ground only since it gets abused in my view.)

I agree with 24hr. on public ground ,,,, You wouldn't want people driving/walking by and seeing an animal caught for days, bad PR,,,, However on private ground not so much. I have chased off coyotes from sets by having to come check everyday, so off the road and out of the uneducated public's view they are fine IMO.

Summery, 24hr on public, 48 on private ground, I think is a good compromise.

I like this idea.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:30 PM

By compromise we gave something up , in tring to make the people happy that want to see us gone period not sound thinking imo.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:33 PM

That's why a lot of trappers and game depts. call it "recreational"trapping.The laws today are made to reflect a hobby,not a industry.I personally cringe when I see it referred to as a sport or recreation in the news media because I know how they're going to use it.But it seems like that's the way everybody wants to view it,at least in this country.Canada takes it more seriously.I wish this country did.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:45 PM

ADC:
"Well, it'll keep you from getting fined in Iowa. frown (With the exception of sets designed to drown, but IMO I'd be ok if that was private ground only since it gets abused in my view.)

Summery, 24hr on public, 48 on private ground, I think is a good compromise."

Originally Posted by red mt
By compromise we gave something up , in tring to make the people happy that want to see us gone period not sound thinking imo.

But if your in a 24hr check state now, you would gain something with this compromise.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 12:48 PM

I would love to hear the conversations some of you have trying to help people understand what we do and why. lol
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:07 PM

We have a daily check law in michigan. What some call a 24 hour check. It can be tough some times but I make my check every day because I don't want anyone seeing an animal in a trap for an extended period and have that start problems for me or other trappers. I checked at 1030 pm yesterday because I was working out of town. I would love a 48 hour check because on those days I could wait until morning. Until that happens I will deal with the daily check.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper
One thing on 24 hour checks most people don’t think about. If you set a trap at 8 AM, you have to check that trap by 8 AM the next day and no later or else you are technically breaking the law. This is the reason Pennsylvania has a 36 hour check law. I forget which state, but I remember reading once the state had a 24 hour check law and a Warden busted a trapper for going beyond the 24 hour limit even though the trapper was checking his traps the next day. The state then apparently changed their wording to limit this chicken crap stuff from happening again. Maybe one of you remembers which state this occurred in.

I was going to make that point Grandpa trapper but you beat me to it. And you are exactly right.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:20 PM

Even if we didn't have a 36 hour check limit here in PA I would still check my traps every morning. A trap with a fox in it isn't going to catch another one until the set is remade. And there is too much chance of the public getting nosy where I trap. I don't need reds bouncing around all day attracting unwanted attention.

From what little I know about western and northern long-lining, 24 hours checks don't seem to have much benefit or make much sense.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

That's why a lot of trappers and game depts. call it "recreational"trapping.The laws today are made to reflect a hobby,not a industry.I personally cringe when I see it referred to as a sport or recreation in the news media because I know how they're going to use it.But it seems like that's the way everybody wants to view it,at least in this country.Canada takes it more seriously.I wish this country did.

Amen amen
Posted By: keystone

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:29 PM

We have a 24hour check in Indiana and it’s a pain in the butt if i’m working a lot of hours. The only benefit i can think of is running snares for coyotes. We have to use relaxed locks and i’ve had quite a few coyotes try to chew out so the quicker you get to them the better.

Originally Posted by Lugnut
Originally Posted by Grandpa Trapper

I was going to make that point Grandpa trapper but you beat me to it. And you are exactly right.

Can someone post the regulation as worded in the State Guide?

I’m curious what states have it.

Even if we didn't have a 36 hour check limit here in PA I would still check my traps every morning. A trap with a fox in it isn't going to catch another one until the set is remade. And there is too much chance of the public getting nosy where I trap. I don't need reds bouncing around all day attracting unwanted attention.

From what little I know about western and northern long-lining, 24 hours checks don't seem to have much benefit or make much sense.

Agreed ,
You made a good comment you can always look sooner at a trap than the law states if you so choose.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper

PA Title 34

SUBCHAPTER D

FURTAKING REGULATIONS

§ 2361. Unlawful acts concerning taking of furbearers:

(10) Use any trap of any kind unless visited and all animals and birds released or removed at least once every 36 hours.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:40 PM

I don't need reds bouncing around all day attracting unwanted attention.

This used to be a huge concern for me. Last year I started engaging the nosey folks. Turns out most of them don’t like critters. lol
Posted By: EdP

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:51 PM

More important that what is in the State Guide is the specific wording in the act passed by the legislature. What the legislature passed is what is legally binding, not the interpretation published by the F&G dept. They usually match but sometimes there is an important difference.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 01:58 PM

So far I do not see many benefits to a 24hr. Check. Gents
Would not a wanton waste law be better???

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 02:06 PM

So far I do not see many benefits to a 24hr. Check. Gents
Would not a wanton waste law be better???

Not many, is true however the benefits it does have are of great value for trappers in urban settings.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 02:39 PM

Who promotes the 24 check idea that says it all!
Posted By: k snow

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 02:39 PM

Wisconsin reg's say non-drowning sets must be checked once per day (not 24 hours). With weasel boxes meeting certain criteria excepted.
Posted By: lindner115

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 02:43 PM

I'm a long way from a long liner but my kids would have us checking 3 times a day if it was beneficial. There definitely isnt any sleeping in going on around here.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Who promotes the 24 check idea that says it all!

Hey Jerry, good to see you back.
Posted By: Fisher Man

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 02:57 PM

I believe the 24 hour check is to appease the unknowing public. After a short time an animal's foot goes numb ,the animal is not in pain, merely restrained. I believe that it was New York that worded their law to allow next day checking, even if it passed the 24 hours. In some areas of New York there is a 48 hour check because of the remoteness and distances travelled. I favor an even longer trap check for animals taken in body gripping traps or under water.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fisher Man
I believe the 24 hour check is to appease the unknowing public. After a short time an animal's foot goes numb ,the animal is not in pain, merely restrained. I believe that it was New York that worded their law to allow next day checking, even if it passed the 24 hours. In some areas of New York there is a 48 hour check because of the remoteness and distances travelled. I favor an even longer trap check for animals taken in body gripping traps or under water.

Getting pretty sticky. I believe most permissions exclude landowners from liability. Unless you are nuisance trapping by permit most trappers aren’t carrying any insurance. Veterinarians aren’t cheap and neither are lawyers.

If you live in BFE, it’s not a concern.
Posted By: Quartermastersir

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:11 PM

just because you check traps daily does not mean you will be safe from nosey busy body on lookers, I had a CO contact me about a "hot" set i had in a creek that was on private property but adjacent to a township road. Somebody saw a racoon in the set for a couple days and called the CO. So he went in and dispatched the racoon and snipped off a front toe for verification. he did this for three more days. he'd dispatch one, i'd pick it up later that day, next day the set caught another one, repeat the process. So he finally told me since I've caught at least 5 racoons in that set could i please move it so the busy body would leave him alone.
Since the busy body could not tell one racoon from another, three different racoons in a trap each day, will be interpreted as one for three days.
With the infusion of cityiots buying homes out in the countryside walking, biking, and walking their dogs and such, we've had to make adjustments in where we place our hardware..
MN has a three day "capable" of drowning check law, three day check on body grippers and weasel box sets, and daily on all others.
I think you'll get a better average catch per trap if you check every day, but a higher total catch if you can run every other or every third day check.
I try to check my public stuff daily and my private stuff every other day at the outside, even though technically I'm allowed the three.
stay safe out there.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:22 PM

I still do not see the benefits of a daily trap check.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:24 PM

My traps get checked twice a day, lol. There’s always work going on at the places I trap.
If I was retired and could check when I want I wouldn’t mind the 24hr check. As it is now, I have to check before work which starts at 0700, so I’m up at 0430 to run the line. After work I have to reset and run it again to get whatever critters get caught right at daylight. Never caught a canine in an after work check, but catch a few coons and cats. Some of our “winter” days can get up in the mid 80’s and I’ve come across dead coons and cats on those hot days.
Posted By: spjones

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:27 PM

There is no benefit from a 24hr check LAW.

If folks feel the need too check every 24hr, great! Do it!!

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:28 PM

So what happen if you guys get sick have break downs or bad weather rolls in all these reasons are deal breakers for a 24 hr. Check and many others imo.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:30 PM

It’s a anti tool plain and simple “the death of 1000 cuts”. It seems the ones eating this crap sandwich are trying to sell it as a tasty meal. LOL The anti move is to promote several restriction then hope to get one or two passed into law, making our jobs harder and harder so we lose interest by over regulation. IMO

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:35 PM

The idea of running and maintaining 150-200 sets then putting up that catch the same day is a joke when you add daily chores and other responsibilities of daily life.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 03:53 PM

It’s a anti tool plain and simple “the death of 1000 cuts”. It seems the ones eating this crap sandwich are trying to sell it as a tasty meal. LOL The anti move is to promote several restriction then hope to get one or two passed into law, making our jobs harder and harder so we lose interest by over regulation. IMO

I think that was spot on and very well put Jerry glad you stopped by .

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:00 PM

I believe checking them when you can get to it will lead to not having them to check a lot quicker than having the wildlife management folks setting a regulation.

But carry on.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:14 PM

The statement that you cant catch another animal if there is an animal already in the trap is only true if you only set one trap.
No one I know only sets one trap.Trappers normally set fur pockets with multiple sets per pocket.

When there is no check time,there is normally a law that states you cannot let an animal spoil in a trap.
You also have the option of checking your traps every day if you want or even 10 times a day if you want.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:36 PM

It all boils down to population of your state, and unsubstantiated perceptions. Reading through the comments, most that have never trapped on a multi day check, don't really understand the ins and outs of it. There is no proof that a critter held in a good trap that treats him well, makes any difference to the well being of that critter, whether it is one day or three. Most opinions have their own bias of how THEY feel the animal feels! If you trap in states that are very rural, you soon learn the benefits of multi day checks over one day checks.

Edit; What Jerry (Law Dog) wrote is spot on, also Boco nailed it! Both were posting while I was!
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:45 PM

I believe in a 24 hour check for all non-lethal sets. A lethal set is one involving a killer trap such as most bodygrippers are. Or, a set designed to drown the animal.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
It all boils down to population of your state, and unsubstantiated perceptions. Reading through the comments, most that have never trapped on a multi day check, don't really understand the ins and outs of it. There is no proof that a critter held in a good trap that treats him well, makes any difference to the well being of that critter, whether it is one day or three. Most opinions have their own bias of how THEY feel the animal feels! If you trap in states that are very rural, you soon learn the benefits of multi day checks over one day checks.

JMO but the “benefit” difference is related to scent more than anything. Trapping in the wilderness where people aren’t an everyday occurrence would definitely benefit from staying away, the longer the better. The urban critters that eat cat food off the back decks in developments don’t really care if they smell people.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 04:48 PM

I believe checking them when you can get to it will lead to not having them to check a lot quicker than having the wildlife management folks setting a regulation.

But carry on.

If your on a 24 hour check now what would he next anti step be then, it’s not hard to sum it up. There is a big difference between the East coast and the plains states and hobby VS daylong trappers needs. Nobody said unlimited trap checks but checking all day everyday has no room for fur put up and daily responsibilities.

The antis tried that 24 hour stuff last year our game and fish replied with a 3 day statewide check in the end the 2 day East River and 3 day west River stayed in place, again the Antis introduced the 24 hour idea take that for what it’s worth.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:03 PM

Its every 2 yrs. Without fail here the anti's push there agenda's

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:05 PM

But carry on.

If your on a 24 hour check now what would he next anti step be then, it’s not hard to sum it up. There is a big difference between the East coast and the plains states and hobby VS daylong trappers needs. Nobody said unlimited trap checks but checking all day everyday has no room for fur put up and daily responsibilities.

The antis tried that 24 hour stuff last year our game and fish replied with a 3 day statewide check in the end the 2 day East River and 3 day west River stayed in place, again the Antis introduced the 24 hour idea take that for what it’s worth.

We are once per calendar day here for non-lethal and once every two calendar days for lethal.

The time management thing and regulations issue is a familiar experience. Not from trapping but OTR trucking, brought on by the anti-trucking public and their lawyers. lol
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:17 PM

Pets. I think 36 hours makes sense and is one rule pa got right. For lethal sets it should be different.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
The statement that you cant catch another animal if there is an animal already in the trap is only true if you only set one trap.
No one I know only sets one trap.Trappers normally set fur pockets with multiple sets per pocket.

I made that statement Bobo and I always set at least two, sometimes three and even four sets at a canine location. I catch doubles all the time a triples are not rare.

I stand by that statement, you can't catch another critter if your traps already have a critter in them.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:31 PM

Numbnuts-You're not setting enough if your missing fur on multi day checks.
One guy posted a pic on another site with 12 coyotes at one spot-he knows how its done.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:32 PM

Yeah, okay.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:33 PM

I'll just throw a dozen sets in at each location then I won't have to check for a week or so eh Bobo?

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:37 PM

Thats correct Numbnuts if the fur pocket dictates that amount.
A professional trapper doesnt just go around and set dozens of traps at each spot and say a couple hail marys,lol.
You obviously dont have a clue about how to longline and run muti day checks.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:38 PM

Out here, checking your sets (even being in the general area) everyday drastically reduces your catch. It took me a couple years when I first started trapping out here, to figure that out. I was from Iowa and the daily check was just how it was done. Distance between good trappable areas is also a concern in the west, my line is around 185 miles, just can't do that every day, I leave in the dark and get home in the dark. As mentioned in a number of prior posts, animal density is nowhere near as that in the eastern or midwestern states. The rules/regs should be applied to different states and areas based on their particular situations.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:44 PM

Thats spot on castormound-but densitys can be quite high in the north and setting multiples for animals that are cannibalistic like lynx not only gets you multiple catches but eliminates cannibalism on caught dead animals.
Some guys here work more than one registered trapline hundreds of miles apart.They will run all lethal sets on a seven or 8 day check and run 2 or 3 lines on each trapground simultaneously.They will go north to a marten line,for example,stay at camp for 3 days and run 3 separate lines each day,then one day to skin,then one to travel to the other ground-run two or 3 lines there,then repeat.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:45 PM

Never said I did. Doesn't sound like you do either but keep trying to convince me if you like you great and mighty long-liner. LOL

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:46 PM

Never said I did. Doesn't sound like you do either but keep trying to convince me if you like.

Done it for decades.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:46 PM

So what?
Posted By: hippie

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:52 PM

Maybe Boco can come down and teach Phil about long-lining for fox Lug. lol

I've seen pics of his traps plugged on a 24hr check and it be a good bet Phil would out catch boco.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 05:54 PM

Boco, you have good trapping info to share but you are totally ignorant when it comes to different methods for different areas.
Posted By: Castormound

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 06:04 PM

Thats spot on castormound-but densitys can be quite high in the north and setting multiples for animals that are cannibalistic like lynx not only gets you multiple catches but eliminates cannibalism on caught dead animals.
Some guys here work more than one registered trapline hundreds of miles apart.They will run all lethal sets on a seven or 8 day check and run 2 or 3 lines on each trapground simultaneously.They will go north to a marten line,for example,stay at camp for 3 days and run 3 separate lines each day,then one day to skin,then one to travel to the other ground-run two or 3 lines there,then repeat.

I think that's good clarification, we do have high density spots/areas, but they are spread out and a trapper has to cover a lot of miles between them with nothing set is the low density areas. We don't have a big problem with cannabalism, but eagles can give us fits. Pumas will eat things in traps, but my experience is that when the pumas move in, everything else skeedaddles anyway.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Maybe Boco can come down and teach Phil about long-lining for fox Lug. lol

I've seen pics of his traps plugged on a 24hr check and it be a good bet Phil would out catch boco.

Wait a minute-who said you have to do that in your area?
I am explaining the benefits of multi day checks.You can run more lines.
With a mandatory 24 hr check you dont have that option.
No one forces you to not check every 24 hours on multi day check jurisdictions,DUH!

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by hippie
Boco, you have good trapping info to share but you are totally ignorant when it comes to different methods for different areas.

On multi day check jurisdictions no one forces you not to check every day if you want.
Now tell me what is the benefit to mandated 24 hour check times that cannot be realized by a multi day checktime?
Please explain to me what is ignorant about this stand.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 06:24 PM

Now tell me what is the benefit to mandated 24 hour check times that cannot be realized by a multi day checktime?
Please explain to me what is ignorant about this stand.

Simple, because there are slob trappers that would not check their traps within a reasonable amount of time, we have them now and at least with the law they can be punished. Some trap sets should be checked daily and you know some I'm sure. I can not on a public forum (or won't) say the reasons.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 06:36 PM

I'm not ragging on you Boco.

Pa. had and is still close to having a million hunters afield, this in a small area compared to what your thinking.

How long do you think a hundred dollar fox lasted once it got daylight back then?
The average farm is between 100-150 acres. Your their guest here, do you think they want to see fox sitting in a trap for several days?

Like I said above, you don't know what you don't know so no sense arguing with those who do.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 06:43 PM

I quit going to Maine when they put more restrictions on checks because its not practical in the area I trapped to run them more often.

Here, its different

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 07:25 PM

I set/check one day then handle fur and other duties the next day. I can run the check/set day as long as I need/want to then I have the next day to take care of things. Limiting yourself to daily checks would be a burden and nothing would be gained by it, who needs less time to get a big job done?

Don’t fall into the it won’t have a impact on me so it’s OK then mode, I would bet the one’s cheerleading for 24 hour checks have violated that idea over the years as life happens.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 07:50 PM

I haven't seen anybody advocating for twenty-four hour checks on this thread Law Dog. The OP asks for benefits of one and some folks gave him some possible benefits. That doesn't mean we are "cheerleading" for it.

Like said above and like hippie is trying to explain to Bobo, there are benefits to a daily check here in PA. I;m not cheerleading, just answering the OP's question. Like I also posted, I would still check every morning even if we didn't have a 36-hour check law.

I get that it's different out west and up north and there doesn't seem to be much benefit for you guys.

You all don't seem to get that it can be a good thing here in the east.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 08:01 PM

It’s hard to see how any benefit comes from it unless you plan to work around it, be careful promoting it as that is what the antis tried to push here based on hearing from a few trappers that said it worked for them.

Our one anti commissioner tried to say a rancher he met that ran a 10,000 acre spread could do the 24 check no problem, I had to laugh at that.
Posted By: trapper124

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 08:14 PM

If you guys would get better at trapping you’d have to check everyday grin

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 08:50 PM

Would not be as much fun if it was that easy. LOL
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 09:14 PM

I'm thankful trapping laws are state specific. Who knows better than the people doing it in the same area and under the same conditions.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 09:49 PM

If animals are drown or frozen, I think that a longer check is Ok but where animals are left in traps alive for longer than that it is negligence.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 09:55 PM

SMH

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
If animals are drown or frozen, I think that a longer check is Ok but where animals are left in traps alive for longer than that it is negligence.

What you think is irrelevant in Alaska and I hope it stays that way.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:03 PM

Funny all the guys that use offset jaws and inline springs because its better for the animal but have no problem with an animal detained for days.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:05 PM

Sit on your leg for a while then try to stand if your leg goes to sleep do you feel it, your lack of experience is showing here.
Posted By: FHSU_Wildman

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:06 PM

In south central Kansas, I like the once a day check. The properties I trap are loaded with raccoon, coyote, and unfortunately opossum. I would be afraid of loosing fur because my trap was still clamped on another animal if KS had a different check law. But a once a day law is how its been since I began trapping, so I don't know any different. But in KS, I think it is an appropriate regulation.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by white dog

What you think is irrelevant in Alaska and I hope it stays that way.

You’re right.

But it’s what the general public perceives is what laws are made of.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:14 PM

Sit on you leg for a while then try to stand if your leg goes to sleep do you feel it, your lack of experience is showing here.

Been trapping probably longer than you are old.

I’ve seen animals chew off, end up with broken legs and pull off, other animals eat them, lots of things can happen given time.

Like I said trapping will finally be put aside thru public opinion.

You do whats legal for you. Nobody is trying to take your candy.

The original question was to the benefits to of a shorter check period.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:14 PM

Sit on you leg for a while then try to stand if your leg goes to sleep do you feel it, your lack of experience is showing here.

Twist a rubber band around the second knuckle on your fingers tight enough that you can’t pull it off and get back to us Saturday. lol

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:18 PM

The general public here is not the same as the general public in NC. I've lived in NC. Have you lived in AK?

When I moved here I listened and I learned. Have a good day.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter

Been trapping probably longer than you are old.

I’ve seen animals chew off, end up with broken legs and pull off, other animals eat them, lots of things can happen given time.

Like I said trapping will finally be put aside thru public opinion.

You do whats legal for you. Nobody is trying to take your candy.

The original question was to the benefits to of a shorter check period.

Again your post shows you just don’t get it!

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:27 PM

He gets it Jerry. He already posted more than he should have and I imagine this post will be deleted soon.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:33 PM

If he got it he wouldn't have used the N word. His opinion is obviously very important to him.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:48 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Baer

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 10:52 PM

I have it here in Illinois. One positive thing I can say it does is that I do not have and never had very many circle shy coyotes. If I am picking them up every day fewer coyotes have less time to interact with a coyote in a trap.

I do wish I could legally leave traps longer especially drowning or kill sets. It would save gas money.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by lee steinmeyer
Oh, by the way, I've never seen an animal freeze to deatth, another common myth! I could go into more detail, but will not on the open forum.

So you never watch any trapping shows from up in Alaska. They must shoot them first then film because every one I have seen them check the animal is frozen unless freshly caught.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:12 PM

Never lived in Alaska.

My opinion is just like everyone else’s, it is what it is.

There are vast differences in east coast and western trapping. But that wasn’t the OP’s question.

I have trapped in 6 different states.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:21 PM

Removing options for trappers is like being anti trapping.
Nowhere I know of that has an extended check time stops anyone from checking however they deem necessary to their operation.They still have the option to check once even twice a day if they so choose.
Explaining stuff on here is like trying to educate a jar of heinz pickles.
Like I stated earlier-i wont leave an animal in a live holding set longer than a day if I can help it.Two days in modern live holding equipment would not be too long but my choice is 1 day.
I prefer lethal sets for many reasons over live holding traps,one being it allows an ethical extended check and more efficient buisness operation.
Some others may have a different method of operating and they have the option to do it however they want without unneccesary burdensome oversight.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:23 PM

Agreements:

Not everyone that obtains a trapping license isn’t equal in ambition and motivation, they should, but they aren’t and there would be no need for regulations if they were.

There are many variables that should dictate the best practice for Trapping and one size does not fit all.

Can we let it go now?

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:27 PM

Agreements:

Not everyone that obtains a trapping license isn’t equal in ambition and motivation, they should, but they aren’t and there would be no need for regulations if they were.

There are many variables that should dictate the best practice for Trapping and one size does not fit all.

Can we let it go now?

Agreed just hate to see the antis feed the idea it would be good for all, my guess the OP is maybe going to deal with this in the future and is loading his quiver ahead of it.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:34 PM

Nobody here goes off the deep end do they?

Someone asks what are the benefits and some one answers. All of a sudden we are trying to change everyone’s laws. And of course anyone that has a different outlook in an anti - trapper.

It wasn’t even a outlook it was an answer to a simple question.

Nobody said that Alaska and NC and Texas should have the same laws.

There are a lot of current laws I don’t like much, trap size limits in some states are ludicrous but if I mentioned that I guess I’d be ostracized.

Letting it go now. grin
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/12/20 11:53 PM

We have had 24hr check regs all the year I have trapped so I am used to the rules and set my lines and traps accordingly. I especially feel the 24 hr check is good one the first check as that is when there is the most activity say with coons and the more days the trap sits the lower the coon numbers most likely, however that allows more incidentals to get caught so checking more often works for me. Also with a 24 hr check here in WI we have a very large,(2 million rural residents) in a small state that almost all commute an average of 23 miles one way to work. With most critters more active at night and caught then with an AM check many of the catches are never noticed by all the commuters. I can see in other areas where distances are much, much greater and commuter travel minimal that other options may be very workable.

Bryce
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by Larry Baer
I have it here in Illinois. One positive thing I can say it does is that I do not have and never had very many circle shy coyotes. If I am picking them up every day fewer coyotes have less time to interact with a coyote in a trap.

I do wish I could legally leave traps longer especially drowning or kill sets. It would save gas money.

I'm not sure that has anything to do with it.We have a 48 hr.check here but for most of my sets I do a 24 hr. check.And our coyote are as circle shy and spooky as they come.

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 12:55 AM

Regarding people seeing catches I will leave you with this discussion that got heated.

I’m pulling a beaver up from a set at a big ditch on a curve. Focusing on what I was doing I missed a jogger that was on me. I didn’t want to cower so I said hi and dragged the beaver up the bank.

Her: What is that?

Me: A beaver.

Her: Is it dead?

Me: Yes.

Her: Why did you kill it?

Me: It’s the law.

Her: That’s a stupid law. Why can’t you take it somewhere else?

Me: How would you like it if someone scooped you up and dropped you off in the hood in that sexy spandex jogging outfit.

Her: You think I’m sexy?

Posted By: Boone Liane

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 01:20 AM

Im not a fan of set check times.

It’s a fluid thing in my opinion, dependent on animal population density, weather, species, why I’m trapping, etc.

I check rat traps twice a day.

If I was in good fox or coon country, and fox or coon were actually worth something, bet your butt I’d be checking every day.

I’ve checked coyote lines in 24 hrs, 48 hrs, 72 hrs depending on the situation.

I check late season coyote dispatch snares every 7-10 days once the local populations been smacked down hard.
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 02:19 AM

" Let those who ride , decide "
A common term amongst motorcyclists who fight / disagree with helmet laws. ( I'm all in favor of wearing a helmet when I ride , but against any law that forces you to wear one )

A 24hr trap check should be decided upon by those that trap/understand trapping etc. Not by those that have no clue of what is going on.
I live in a very urban environment. Trap checking here is under a 24hr mandate. (state regs) A good thing as there are too many people to spot a trapped animal. A drowning set will not be seen by 99% of the public and could have a longer trap check time IMO.
What works in my state , may not work in your state/area. " Let those who ride , decide "

To give you an idea what urban populations of animals are like , if I really put my head to it and busted my hump with every trap in the field during trapping season with massive numbers as the goal I could fill the smallest size Uhaul box truck to the roof with raccoons. Not trying to brag or BS anyone on here. During a normal year of handling nuisance animals I will catch 100-200 raccoons. I get sick of catching them.

Anti's will make you think they need protection , far from it. They need population control.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 02:27 AM

Other than PR gains in certain environments like I operate in as an urban nuisance trapper I see it as a bad compromise allowing the non participants to dictate to those that do. Even here in the urban landscape 24hr checks have serious negatives resulting in reduced ability to service clients, constant demand on the trappers time for those who trap year round.
Truth be told this is probably the most violated rule in all of trapping due to the undue demand on time.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 02:41 AM

I would say continue to fight to protect and extend trapping rights. We were able to fight off reducing our check time from 48- 24 hours. No evidence was presented as to why this was necessary. In addition our game and fish started an otter season and expended our Bobcat season to the entire state. The latter resulted from a petition to the GFP from a trapper! Of course having a pro trapping Governor has helped a great deal!
Posted By: Rally

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 05:20 AM

I understand the perceived idea of a 24 hour check by urbanites and law makers, but it puts an unfair legal burden on a trapper. What happens if you get stuck mid line, break down, get a heavy snow, flood, wind storm, or family medical emergency? Any of which could easily put you over the 24 hour check, due to no fault of the trapper. Most trappers aren't driving new trucks, the average age of a trapper is something north of 50, and that would put their parents in the upper age class, and which requires most medical attention. Younger trappers have kids at home and school sporting events it would be nice to support their events on occasion. Tough decision to make whether to pull a hundred trap line, to attend a football game.
But what really riles me up, is that those making these laws are working 40 hour week jobs, with a benefit package, and currently working from home!
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 12:00 PM

Hey why draw me into this Rally
oh wait you broke up the characters in the name. you get a pass this time...
and that working from home is the phone in their back pocket, and they are sitting up a tree stand with the audio turned off and on the government pay cheque keeps rolling in.
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Bennifits of a 24 hr. Check on traps - 11/13/20 12:06 PM

Regarding people seeing catches I will leave you with this discussion that got heated.

I’m pulling a beaver up from a set at a big ditch on a curve. Focusing on what I was doing I missed a jogger that was on me. I didn’t want to cower so I said hi and dragged the beaver up the bank.

Her: What is that?

Me: A beaver.

Her: Is it dead?

Me: Yes.

Her: Why did you kill it?

Me: It’s the law.

Her: That’s a stupid law. Why can’t you take it somewhere else?

Me: How would you like it if someone scooped you up and dropped you off in the hood in that sexy spandex jogging outfit.

Her: You think I’m sexy?

Sure hope that ear plug in her ear was not recording your conservation.......or it ain't going to be a good day in court for you then...
© 2024 Trapperman Forums