Home

New trapper needing advise

Posted By: Mattty843

New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 05:27 AM

Hello all,

Our trapping season opens on 12/1 in SC. I’ve never trapped before, and this year I hope to break the dirt. I’m targeting coons and cats. I have the coon part down pat, it’s the cat part I’m not so sure about. 1 3/4 vs 2, offset vs closed, 2 spring vs 4. I have some sort of an idea as far as hole sets, lures, etc, but any advise would be greatly appreciated. I own a few dp traps and a few 1 1/2 cs traps, but you guys should see my shopping list I made on a few sites comparing prices. I thought about getting used traps but I can’t find a dozen for under my price range. Thoughts?
Posted By: chas3457

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 05:32 AM

Welcome aboard, Matty.

Buckle up and hang on. grin

Charlie
Posted By: adam m

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 06:35 AM

Welcome pull up a chair and your favorite drink.

Check the trap shed on here for used supplies.

also the archives are a wealth of info that will help your learning curve. Here is a fantastic thread on cats
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthr...cat-sets-and-locations-vol-2#Post4759431
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 10:51 AM

welcome , and good luck trapping this year , how big are your cats down there ?,
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 10:55 AM

How old are you Matty?. I get not wanting to spend a bunch of money on traps in the fur market of today, but a downturn in fur values isnt a downturn in the cost of trap manufacturing. I don't know about S.C. but people are begging for quality employees around here.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 01:26 PM

I’m 24. I got out of the Army in February and came home and got a “normal” job.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 02:56 PM

I would get some #2 bridgers. about 10 bucks apiece new. You dont need an offset .

do this to the dog and the pan notch

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When the pan moves the trap fires. Easy to set also. Put the dog in the notch and pull the pan up. Bend the post the dog is attached to back and forth a little so the pan is level when the trap is set.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

squeeze that loop in the dog closed a bit. You want the dog to only be able to move up and down. If it can move back and forth it will move forward as the paan comes down. The trap may not fire if there is enough movement.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 02:58 PM

P.S. welcome home and thanks for serving.
Posted By: flathead

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 03:44 PM

https://www.nwtrappers.com/bridgercoilspring.html#!/Bridger-3-Dogless-Offset/p/89204591/category=24307223

I'd buy those, set em and start catching. Don't have to straighten out dogs after every coyote catch. I'd prefer #3. Worth the money to me. Give them a call, bet you'll get a military discount, they are great guys. Good luck trapping
Posted By: EdP

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 04:19 PM

It doesn't take much of a trap to hold a cat but their foot is a bit wider than a coyotes typically. I would not buy anything specific for cats but use any larger sized coyote traps I have at cat sets. Check your state regs for maximum jaw spread for land traps to be sure you stay within any limit specified. Good luck and have fun.
Posted By: Hutchy

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 04:44 PM

So let me get this straight...

You are targeting coons?? Like, on purpose?

You don't sound like you are quite right in the head.

You should fit in nicely here!!!

laugh
Posted By: Bob

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 04:53 PM

Go with the #2 for bobcat. 2 coiled is plenty, no need for 4. I prefer offset jaws, they allow the levers to lock tighter. Some states require offset on traps above a certain size.

Bobcats can be heavily guided, use sticks and rocks and dirt clods to guide them to step onto your pan. They like flashy sets. They like it when the set looks like a bomb went off and there’s free dug dirt everywhere. Makes them curious.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
I would get some #2 bridgers. about 10 bucks apiece new. You dont need an offset .

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When the pan moves the trap fires. Easy to set also. Put the dog in the notch and pull the pan up. Bend the post the dog is attached to back and forth a little so the pan is level when the trap is set.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

squeeze that loop in the dog closed a bit. You want the dog to only be able to move up and down. If it can move back and forth it will move forward as the paan comes down. The trap may not fire if there is enough movement.

Can you please explain what you're doing with your tongue in the second pic?
Posted By: Boco

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 05:46 PM

There was a bit of lure stuck in there.
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 06:09 PM

I’m no pro but I catch 5-10 every year
I use a good bobcat gland lure, good urine and fresh beaver meat with 2 MB 650s I trap coyotes with
I run both flat sets and big dirt holes with heavy blocking I usually only get to trap for a couple weeks each year
So I make sure and trap around full moons in January and February to target big Toms

Also a couple dvds can give you a big head start on cats I like cat collector and bobcat trapping with mark june
I’m sure there’s several other good ones but I got a lot out of those 2
If you can run snares I would do that as well

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 08:12 PM

Can you please explain what you're doing with your tongue in the second pic?

I like the taste of steel filings crazy
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mattty843
. I’ve never trapped before, Thoughts?

Here’s what helped me shorten my learning curve by decades. Join your state trapping assn, Google it. ANd contact officers off their site and ask for a mentor to ride along and meet with. MANY states have their own forums. Like here in NC. And TN has 2 and Va has 2 also and KY too. A mentor helps Learn trap prep and techniques and tricks and the laws in YOUR state regarding jaw spreads, shock springs, etc, etc. Laws vary a lot from state to state so BEWARE of FB and utube. You can be shown things that are illegal in your state!.
This gets you in the info loop of FREE trappers ed classes and meets and fur sales/pick ups, and conventions. Conventions have a couple days of demo’s from old pro’s sharing their tricks! Then attend ALL YOU CAN, this shows folks you are serious and will be a good student. It sure helped open many doors for me and it could for you as well. ALSO, get several different trapping supply catalogs, like MTP, Sterling Fur, FandT, PCS, Flemings, Northern Outdoors, Trap Shack, Schmitt enterprises, Southeastern outdoor supplies, JR & Sons, Grawes, rpoutdoors, etc etc, THEN circle gear you need, and give the catalogs to loved ones to buy your Birthday and Christmas and July 4 and Easter and Anniversary gifts. Explain to them, you want their money to go towards what you will use and need, as opposed to another sweater hanging in your closet. WORKS GREAT in our family.

Find Tom Cat in the User List, he is in SC and makes good lures,etc.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/14/20 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was never a fan of short-latching. I much prefer night-latching:

[Linked Image]

When I buy used traps that have been short-latched I'll refile them deeper and night-latch if there's enough meat left. If not I'll swap out pans.

To me the benefits of night-latching are one: pulling all the slop out of the system as you bury the dog in the notch then lower the pan to the night-latch and two: the audible click that lets you know you are ready to rock and roll.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 01:38 AM

Holy crap. I can’t thank you enough for your kind words and input. I actually reached out to the president of my assn about a week ago and I’ve been in contact with him steadily since. He lives a couple towns over and he said once the season opens he would be happy to take me along. I’ve watched SOME videos on YouTube but predominantly just how to create hole sets and sets for cats.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 02:09 AM

I ain't no expert cat trapper, but l did manage to catch 7 or 8 last year trapping for coyotes. Was my first year trapping for canines and used Dunlops soul taker in pipe sets with mb550's. Caught 35 or 36 coyotes too. Bedded every set in peet moss with no pan cover. Not saying there ain't better ways but this worked pretty good for me. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Good luck and enjoy the ride. Thanks again for your service.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 02:14 AM

Set everything for coyotes and coons and cats will clog your sets, lol!
Good luck this year!
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
Good luck this year!

Not mine if I make a great set I’m pretty sure the possums can sense it and have it clogged within 30 min of me leaving

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by gdccowboy
Good luck this year!

Not mine if I make a great set I’m pretty sure the possums can sense it and have it clogged within 30 min of me leaving

You sir...are correct!
I should have said after you clean out all the possums, then coons and cats will clog your coyote sets, lol.
Posted By: Bob

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 03:30 AM

Good luck this year!

I wish bobcats would clog up my coyote sets lol. I’d much rather skin a $300 bobcat than a $40 coyote

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:06 AM

You guys ever use rubber jaws? Also, what’s your opinions on earth anchors and similar brands.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:09 AM

Never used rubber jaws, but I believe I’ve read on here they don’t last and get chewed up after a few catches.
Earth anchors...yes. I use 12” Super Stakes and never had an issue. All soil specific I’d guess. We have everything from red clay to sand.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:15 AM

Do you have a preference in os vs closed? I spoke with someone who knows a buyer and he said they buy the animals live, and if the legs are damaged they won’t take them. My only speculation is a cat might pull out of a os easier. Again, I’m new and don’t know much. Thoughts?
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:22 AM

I doubt he's talking about Bobcats You need to check your game laws.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:30 AM

Yes, the buyer wants all animals alive. There is no laws in SC prohibiting that except I have to have in possession bobcat tags to transport. All other furbearers don’t need tags.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:34 AM

Thanks. Sounds like you're on top of it and will make a good trapper.

Enjoy!

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:42 AM

I honestly have no idea. The guy I’m talking to about it isn’t much help and rarely replies. I knew I would need a snare pole, but the past 45 mins I’ve been looking on google for “bobcat transport boxes” and etc and I’ve found nothing. He puts multiple coyotes in a dog box, but I’m thinking if I put a bunch of cats in a box once I arrive to the buyer only one will be left alive. And I don’t even have a truck, I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I mean I have a back rack in my hitch, but still. Maybe build one out of plywood?

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:44 AM

And no, once you apply for your yearly furbearer license, you apply for bobcat tags separately. Once you trap one, I guess you attach it, or give it to the buyer for the animal. The tags are in your possession.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:46 AM

That’s what I was thinking too. It would save so much time, and money in the long run. Plus, I don’t see how keeping them alive is any more beneficial than dispatching them and bringing them in fresh, or even green.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:51 AM

I pm’d you, I hope you don’t mind.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 01:22 PM

If you decide to nite latch you should still crimp the dog eye closed a bit. that dog will move forward as the pan drops if you nite latch also. that dog moving forward makes it a sloppy "trigger" system
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 01:37 PM

I agree.
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 02:27 PM

There's no live selling of bobcats in S.C. period!! We can only live market yotes, red and grey fox.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 04:04 PM

Any chance of a yote? If you can afford them bridger 2s offset dogless and have fun . Check craigslist and local or facebook classifieds for traps

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/15/20 07:50 PM

Definitely chances of yotes, I live on a cow pasture. I’ve always been intimidated by them, idk it just seemed hard and out of reach for me. I just spoke with someone from my state assn, and he gave me tons of great advice so I think I might look at them after all.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/16/20 12:08 AM

Plus, I don’t see how keeping them alive is any more beneficial than dispatching them .

Because live ones go to a high fenced area where they run them with hounds.
But they cannot buy bobcats only fox and coyotes.

Depending how far the running pen is from you, depends whether you need to keep six or 10 Alive at your house in a dog lot of sorts to be delivered later to make it worth the trip.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/16/20 12:13 AM

I’ve always been intimidated by them

That’s just from lack of experience with them. That’s why riding with a local mentor will show you how to handle them alive Safely.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/16/20 12:21 AM

You guys ever use rubber jaws? s.

If you use those, plan on replacing the pads a lot so you must keep them on hand because when you catch a coon they will chew them to pieces.

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/16/20 12:27 AM

The guy I’m talking to about it isn’t much help and rarely replies. ?

That’s why I suggested contacting several officers for info off of the state association site, to compensate for how busy life is for most of us.
Posted By: BuckMink

Re: New trapper needing advise - 11/16/20 05:25 PM

I’m 24. I got out of the Army in February and came home and got a “normal” job.

Thanks for your service!! Welcome! Really great group of guys here.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums