Home

My proposed family Thanksgiving

Posted By: T-Rex

My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 03:57 PM

The emperor of Minnesota has spoken: No family gatherings of over a certain number of people and/or households. Unfortunately, my moderate, but, left leaning sons are scared and buying into the mandate.

So, I am, in turn mandating their attendance to my modified Original Thanksgiving Celebration, which i will call Freedom From Government Day:
  • It will be entirely outside
  • There will be Food and Activities
  • Everything will be cooked outdoors over an open fire/hot coals, including:
    • Smoked spatchcocked turkey
    • Fish soup/stew-A Finnish version called kalamojakka
    • hotdogs/corndogs
    • smores, or my version, made with marshmellows, chocolate chips melted into a waffle cone
    • Pumpkin custard baked inside a hollowed out pumpkin on the coals the way the pilgrims did.
    • beverages of hot cider and eggnog
  • Activities will include:
    • Turkey shoot
    • hay ride
We shall see if I can pull it off.
Posted By: AJE

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:01 PM

Just don't be like this hypocrate:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/california-governor-went-party-violated-204247473.html

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:10 PM

I hope you are not implying that I was ever in favor of curtailing individual liberties.

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:13 PM

Nah, I wasn't implying anything about you personally.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:19 PM

We plan on having Thanksgiving as normal even if our Dem governor makes a decree against it. I feel bad for Americans in states like you’re in T-Rex! I figure most people will ignore it like the California’s did when they weren’t supposed to shoot off fireworks on the forth. That actually gave me a bit of hope for the left coast if only for a few seconds
Posted By: waggler

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:26 PM

I'm making my legendary cranberry sauce for about 40 of us.
We are applying "new math" to the situation.
Posted By: fossil2

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:30 PM

as of now we're planning to get together a week later. sons family is infected, and step daughters family has been exposed through a couple day care kids. see how it all plays out and try to reschedule i guess.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:33 PM

T Rex....

Sounds like a perfect plan to me. Any cop who showed up would only ask for go cup.

Have big fun and be safe.

Pete
Posted By: Teacher

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:44 PM

I think you’re all playing with fire but it’s your right to do so. Foregoing this year’s get-to-gethers may mean we all have a better chance to see them in the future. I keep thinking of that wedding in Maine that resulted in 177 cases and a bunch of deaths. All because they wanted a crowd at their wedding. Hope your events are safe.
Posted By: Bob

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 04:51 PM

Sounds like you have a good plan. I don’t know what we are doing. Generally we would all gather at granny’s and have dinner there, but she passed away this spring. More than likely it’ll just be my folks, my kids and wife and maybe one of my brothers.
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Teacher
I think you’re all playing with fire but it’s your right to do so. Foregoing this year’s get-to-gethers may mean we all have a better chance to see them in the future. I keep thinking of that wedding in Maine that resulted in 177 cases and a bunch of deaths. All because they wanted a crowd at their wedding. Hope your events are safe.

If your going to die from covid, it won't matter when you get it. You're going to die. Won't be a vaccine any time soon, at least for the general population. Identify the family members who are susceptible and keep them away. Even without covid, gatherings spread viruses. Our population needs to continue our traditions, even at times of risk.

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Bob
...... Generally we would all gather at granny’s and have dinner there, but she passed away this spring. More than likely it’ll just be my folks, my kids and wife and maybe one of my brothers.
It sounds to me like you have just grabbed the baton to carry out the family tradition. Don't give up after this one.

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 05:45 PM

I think you’re all playing with fire... Foregoing this year’s get-to-gethers may mean we all have a better chance to see them in the future....
Maybe it's just me; I'd rather play with fire than cower away in the closet. You can't hide from any virus forever. Sooner or later you have to look it in the eye.

Speaking of eyes.....My Kalamojakka sometimes includes floating fish eyes. YUMMM
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 05:56 PM

Well I hate people generally speaking so this has worked out again in my favor, the kids are young so we will have them all this holiday, I love to cook so this year I don't have to eat other peoples food and best of all we can wear our PJs all day minus a few hours in blaze orange..... Already best thanksgiving ever!!!!! Also we've already had the virus and I've had worse hangovers, guess were lucky!?!
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex
I think you’re all playing with fire... Foregoing this year’s get-to-gethers may mean we all have a better chance to see them in the future....
Maybe it's just me; I'd rather play with fire than cower away in the closet. You can't hide from any virus forever. Sooner or later you have to look it in the eye.

Speaking of eyes.....My Kalamojakka sometimes includes floating fish eyes. YUMMM

I couldn't care less what the state or feds say on the Thanksgiving issue. They might be able to stop you from going to Applebees but they can't control how you run dinner at your house. If one of your family members narc on you, deal with it in your own way.

On the other hand, it might a blessing in disguise. You can hunt on Thanksgiving.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by T-Rex

Yep, you can’t contain a virus and that used to be common knowledge! I also don’t get why it doesn’t appear to hit us out here as bad as the news says. People get it and then get over it. 100 positive cases and there are probably 600 because most don’t go get tested. They stay home and away from people and then are better after a week or so. Are our immune systems stronger from exposure to dirt and germs from farm work and or country living? Different strain? Half the county can’t smell which is good for me because I stink like skunk lately.

Not sure about the Kalamojakka with fish eyes. I’m leaning more towards Turkey and ham. Lol

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 06:37 PM

Maybe there's different strains, I don't. The hospitalizations keep going up in my area, so I don't want to contribute to that seemingly unsustainable trend. I know a front line nurse at a major hospital in LaCrosse, & the situation is not good.

Depending on the temps, outdoor gatherings might be tough, unless in the deer woods

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 07:09 PM

The long range weather forecast for my area is temps just below freezing and windy for Thanksgiving day.

I will have a central bonfire and several smaller cooking fires.

Some warm clothes, and only a couple hour exposure will be good for the grandkids.

I'm really looking forward to it, even more than the indoor semi formal crap I've experienced in the past seventy-some years.
Posted By: Wild_WI

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 07:21 PM

I say do it and enjoy! This virus is just mama natures way of telling us we (humans) are beyond carrying capacity. We all get reclaimed in the end might as well enjoy the run as long as you can
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 08:10 PM

Too bad you raised left-leaning sons eh.
We have it right now, wife tested positive yesterday. According to symptoms I'm a couple days behind her. The good news is that most of our family on both sides has already had it, so T-day is a go! Anyone who doesn't want to join, isn't forced to.
The sad part is that my 87 y.o. grandpa will probably be left out... we'll have to figure out a way that a few "safe" people can do something special for him. The last 8 months have been really hard on him since almost no one goes to see him.

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by KenaiKid
The last 8 months have been really hard on him since almost no one goes to see him.
Same situation with my grandma.

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by KenaiKid
Too bad you raised left-leaning sons eh. .
My sons are well into adulthood and didn't get those politics at home.

The older one spent 4 years at the University of Minnesota, and a couple decades employed at a very high profile liberal entity. I can't say where, because, as high ranking officer there, he could be easily identified. His department is money, not policy.

The younger one was indoctrinated the USPS postal union.

So far neither has joined BLM, Antifa, or has been considered for a cabinet position in what could be the new administration.

BTW they both say they are coming to live with me when you know what hits the fan.
Posted By: KYtrapper2005

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 09:32 PM

Sounds like a good day to me!! Freedom From Government Day sounds like a blast (pun intended)!
Posted By: keets

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by waggler
I'm making my legendary cranberry sauce for about 40 of us.
We are applying "new math" to the situation.

care to share the legendary recipe?
Posted By: 41cal

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 10:00 PM

If the covid police show up, just tell them you are having a peaceful protest!!

Why quarantine healthy people/ You quarantine the ones that are sick.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 10:01 PM

The best way to avoid the virus is to skip Thanksgiving and join a protest/riot with thousands of others. No virus cases reported from those, unless it’s a rally for a sitting President.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Wanna Be
The best way to avoid the virus is to skip Thanksgiving and join a protest/riot with thousands of others. No virus cases reported from those, unless it’s a rally for a sitting President.

I've noticed that-- no riot or protest has been called a "super-spreader," or even correlated with a spike in cases.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/15/20 11:58 PM

I'm totally buying into the no thanksgiving gatherings due to covid. Mainly because I don't want to go to my inlaws.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/16/20 01:06 AM

One of the network news nitwits said tonight that attending a Thanksgiving gathering this year is like playing Russian roulette. I thought it was about folks and families getting together and celebrating, and maybe taking some precautions if it's felt warranted. Guess I was wrong.
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/16/20 02:44 AM

"Freedom from the government" sounds like a protest to me, you should be good...heck you could probably make a block party out of it and be ok. Best of luck!
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/16/20 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by TurkeyWrangler
I'm totally buying into the no thanksgiving gatherings due to covid. Mainly because I don't want to go to my inlaws.

I tried to milk that idea for quite a while but eventually they started to question why so many others could come to our house.
Posted By: AZ2020

Re: My proposed family Thanksgiving - 11/16/20 03:02 AM

I’ll be manning the one of the local medivac helos. Thus we’ll prob move some cases to bigger hospital and the Holliday accidents. Then for the feast of tamales, whatever everyone else brings, and pumpkin pie!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums