Home

Prepping

Posted By: nvwrangler

Prepping - 11/15/20 06:28 PM

I know lots of folks on here garden and can but what other things have you done to get thru a weather emergency or a lock down? I mean reasonable measures not 2 years worth of dehydrated meals per person but enough to last out a extended period of time like 3 to 4 weeks.

Ive got lots of meat from elk and deer to pork, beef and goat meat. Lots of ocean fish but short on bacon at moment. Thinking of getting a couple of the food grade 15 to 18 gallon barrels to store some flour, sugar, rice and dried beans in. Wish i had a spot to garden but maybe next year as for canning not sure how much of that I'd get done but i have lots of freezer space and a great generator.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 06:34 PM

We have about 2-4 weeks of canned goods in the basement pantry. It's always being rotated through. Also keep 10 pounds of beans and 20 rice which we also go through.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 06:43 PM

For me I agree with the rice, beans, and flour but add lots of lentils and split peas as they have high protein.

If you can garden that is great. If you have a lot of game in the freezer that is great but fresh vegetables and some fruit is essential.

Good luck.

Pete

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 06:52 PM

I have peach crown royal is that close enough? I would love to garden but my place is super rocky and on a hill so untill i can get a few raised beds for summer time eats its canned and frozen veggies. Out here its the water thats the gardening issue for most folks. You can buy bulk at farmers markets cheaper then paying for water if your in town. My biggest issue besides the land is storage space as my house is under 1000 sq ft and i don't have a garage just a sea container. I do have several freezers in a shed so im good that way.

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 08:08 PM

I told my wife we should buy a beer making kit just incase and she said she was way more worried id run out of Copenhagen lol
Posted By: DuxDawg

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 08:34 PM

Lots of things can interrupt the normalcy we're used to.
Think about it from a cost stand point: when a household good skyrockets in price, it usually comes back down to normal within three months.

Just silly to not have 30+ days of everything you'll need.

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
I told my wife we should buy a beer making kit just incase and she said she was way more worried id run out of Copenhagen lol

Solid logic. It is the reason the Mayflower landed. Beer is essential.

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 08:37 PM

I have peach crown royal is that close enough?.

That's disgusting.....you ought to be ashamed of yourself
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 08:56 PM

eat what you store store what you eat

a months of the staples you use

meat in the freezer , jars , lids and the ability to start canning it should the power be out for days

medications you can refill your scripts a week before they are up keep doing that till you have a month of your scripts built up in reserve.

some ammo on hand 100 rounds a hunting gun should hold you a while if you keep a pistol or gun for self defense more than 100 rounds for it would be a good place to start

a months TP

cleaning supplies for a few months

heat I have a wood free standing stove and oil furnace with the oil furnace I buy offload diesel at the pump and keep the tank close to full

water while it isn't as realistic to store weeks of water , a few cases of 1/2 liter bottles to drink and a few 6 gallon cans can get you buy for a few days to a week

some meals that are very easy to prepare , even if this is cans of stew or soup heat and eat but that could technically be eaten cold safely

don't let your cars go below 1/2 tank

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 09:40 PM

Way better then apple crown
Posted By: Sfranks

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 10:19 PM

Get a 22 pellet gun ammos cheap and surprisingly affective itl save on your rimfire ammo if you have a basement or garage make shallow bunks and plant quick growing vegetables in them brooder lights over them are good enough for certain plants in the winter learn how to dry meats for preserving them look up biltong it's like dutch african jerky keeps a long time be mindful storing dry goods a little bit of hot and cold fluctuation and you got damp flower also nutritional value decreases with storage time learn local plants better people lived for thousands of years seasonally on what God provided without our modern conveniences it's hard but like then we can do it now
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Prepping - 11/15/20 11:30 PM

Good stuff
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 12:11 AM

5 gallon buckets will hold about 25 pounds of dry goods, flour, sugar, salt, etc. They’re easier to store, move around if need be and rotate the stock. Yeast, everyone falls back to sourdough but yeast will be helpful. Gas for your generator. If you don’t like it don’t put it up, use your money or time in a better place. Drink mixes, water will get old fast if that’s not a normal thing for you. Snack stuff, popcorn and other dry things. Fuel for a smoker. Batteries and lights. Don’t forget specialty items for the ladies either. Paper products, we’re already being rationed in these parts again.

Think variety. I can’t think of the term, but people will stop eating if it’s the same thing over a long time(whatever that is for the person). Change it up & spice it up. Food fatigue I think is what it’s called. If you don’t have fruits or vegetables, maybe a multivitamin of some sort.

Don’t forget your pets or stock either.

Getting into this as a habit is really convenient. I really don’t like shopping. I go and stock up every two years on average, except for perishables like dairy and minimal other things as needed. It saves time, you’re always ready, don’t have to go to town near as often. You get to have your groceries at the prices of whenever you bought them, until you go again. It also gives people a Costco a show when 6 of us are moving through the store like a train. People will put a hairy eyeball on you in a big way. Some even get cranky about it.

Owl
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 01:34 AM

Cann as much as possible, electricity will be one of the first things that gets knocked off.
Posted By: gdccowboy

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 02:16 AM

50 lbs flour , salt , sugar 20 lbs rice and beans vacuum sealed
We usually do 40lbs of peaches and pears 20 of green beans , 1 case of Corn 1 case of peas , 80lbs of berries usually have plenty of meat and jars to can , 40 gallons of gas to run the generator 20 gallons of diesel 3 5s of propane.
Plan to plant persimmon trees next year so I can have fresh fruit in December and January
Grow cabbage garlic and cauliflower in the fall harvest through November and I usually have a few pigs out back
And always have next years garden seeds ready
And a spare scotch for emergencies

I’m a plan for the worst hope for the best
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 02:56 AM

Very good stuff y'all. I'll add the more ammo the better, it could come down to having to protect you and yours. God forbit it. But it's been a weird year so far.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 03:10 AM

I know lots of folks on here garden and can but what other things have you done to get thru a weather emergency or a lock down? I mean reasonable measures not 2 years worth of dehydrated meals per person but enough to last out a extended period of time like 3 to 4 weeks.

Ive got lots of meat from elk and deer to pork, beef and goat meat. Lots of ocean fish but short on bacon at moment. Thinking of getting a couple of the food grade 15 to 18 gallon barrels to store some flour, sugar, rice and dried beans in. Wish i had a spot to garden but maybe next year as for canning not sure how much of that I'd get done but i have lots of freezer space and a great generator.

If your going to rely on freezers and generators,,better stock up on gasoline.
Posted By: rags57078

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 03:11 AM

Don't forget seasonings or your food will be bland
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 03:14 AM

Antibiotic creams and other medicines to prevent infections.

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

If your going to rely on freezers and generators,,better stock up on gasoline.

Mine runs on propane got a 500 gallon tank
Posted By: Boco

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 05:32 AM

Most people have enough lard on them to carry them several months.
Just lard up a bit more for a longer period.

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by rags57078

This is more important than people think.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 05:37 AM

FYI, a five gallon bucket holds sixty pounds of honey at 12 lbs to the gallon.
Posted By: warrior

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by Pike River
Originally Posted by rags57078

Hence the miniature Tabasco bottles in MREs.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 05:48 AM

I wonder if white17 had Tabasco when he dined on marten.

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by warrior
Originally Posted by Pike River

Hence the miniature Tabasco bottles in MREs.

Guys would do a line of it to stay awake.
Posted By: yukonjeff

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 07:22 AM

Folks here dried everything . Still do.

Ducks, geese, swans ,ptarmigan, all types of fish. Seals, walrus whale, moose, caribou are dried mostly. Just air dried, no season salt most times. Some smoked. Seal fat was oil is rendered (rotted) down and drained off.

Many of the dried foods were then stuffed in wooden barrels or now days plastic buckets. If the meat of fish was dried perfectly it could be packed tight and keep for a year or more.
Some buckets of meat/fish are topped off with seal oil, and that preserves the meat and fish as well.

Buckets of salted fish are put away, salted ducks and geese as well.

I keep a garden, and a net for fishing set mostly year round.

Waterfowl eggs are gathered and frozen. I keep my own chickens ,quail, for eggs, bees for honey.

Berries are gathered buy the bucketful here and frozen. The old way was to add sugar to the barrel and that preserved it.

Some hunt for mouse nest and gather/ steal their food. they call it mouse nuts.

Almost everything is eaten here. beavers, porcupines, otter mink and muskrats.

Freezers are packed with wild meat and fish by fall time for winter.

No "trash fish" here. They are all eaten from biggest to smallest.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 12:38 PM

learn how the natives in your area foraged and practice it when things are in season . Survival knoledge cant be stollen or ruined in a natural disaster Make sure you have equipment and supplies to can everything in your freezer Lots of water and a plan for purifacation 5000 galons would not be to much .
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 12:53 PM

Around here much is now row crops. Not much foraging of native plants. What there is will be gone quickly
Posted By: J.Morse

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
Most people have enough lard on them to carry them several months.
Just lard up a bit more for a longer period.

Oh man! I have enough to last me for years. I'm no longer going to refer to myself as a Fat Guy.......I am a survival/prepper MASTER!!
Posted By: Squash

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 04:25 PM

Build an ice house like the Amish,
get sawdust from Amish sawmill, cut ice in winter on the pond next to my home, pack ice in sawdust in the ice house. No gasoline, propane, or electricity needed, except to make the sawdust.
Posted By: We-Sa

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 05:25 PM

Lol, that’s the same thing my wife said.

We keep a solid month worth of the necessities (food stuff, meds and hygiene items) I can only store about a weeks worth of fuel for the generator. Sometime by spring we’re going to get a generator that runs on propane like nvwrangler mentioned and sell the gas one. As far as ammo, I’ve got enough arrows to last even if I do some target practice, and if I owned a gun I would probably have plenty and maybe even all the fixin’s to reload more.
Posted By: Bigfoot

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
Around here much is now row crops. Not much foraging of native plants. What there is will be gone quickly

If th crap ever realy hit the fan im fairly certain that it would take the masses awhile to figure out that stinging nettles are one of the most nutritious plants there is or pigweed ,lambsquarter ,and wild mustard make good greens . Day lillies and wild violets. are great sources of vitamin C . its much better to learn when your fat and sassy . It all goes together every calorie and nutrient you source from your environment is one you didnt remove from your stores .

Just like making a fire from scratch , no matches or flint if you dont practice it a few times you will be in for a surprise when you do . Many people have died from exposure or disentary while they were trying to figure it out . I dont think most of the folks on this forum would get more than some smoke and some blisters their first day trying .
Posted By: Boco

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 11:28 PM

All kinds of great medicine in the bush.

Re: Prepping - 11/16/20 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Squash
Build an ice house like the Amish,
get sawdust from Amish sawmill, cut ice in winter on the pond next to my home, pack ice in sawdust in the ice house. No gasoline, propane, or electricity needed, except to make the sawdust.

Funny,,I just bought me an ice saw a couple months ago at a yard sale.Saw is like NEW. grin I figured it would be a nice compliment to the Old Timey Ice Box Fridge I got too.OOhhhh yea.
Posted By: maintenanceguy

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 01:33 AM

We have some dry goods in sealed containers: rice, beans, peas, flour, pasta, etc. I don't really think we'll ever need it but it would put something in our stomach for a few months if food was absolutely cut off. We can hunt or trap to supplement those. We also have a small garden every year but could step that way up if needed. But that is our emergency preps which we hope to never need or use.

We also keep several weeks of short term preps on hand. Chest freezer is always full of the normal frozen stuff we normally use for meals. We stock the kitchen freezer from our chest freezer and shop to fill the chest freezer. That keeps food rotated so it gets used before it goes bad.

And we have a pantry full of cans, jars, and dry goods that we use regularly. We just keep more on hand than most people.

If we were cut off, I estimate we could go a month before we notice, a couple of more weeks before it got uncomfortable, and we could go six months before we got hungry - we just wouldn't enjoy mealtime very much near the end.

Posted By: waggler

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 01:54 AM

This picture illustrates the extent of my prepping. Brown rice and pinto beans plus a little snare wire is the extent of my prepping. If you can't do it on this, you are a goner anyway.
This should get me through a month or so, until the rest of the problems have weeded themselves out. No need for thousands of rounds of ammunition, just keep a low profile.
[Linked Image]

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
This picture illustrates the extent of my prepping. Brown rice and pinto beans plus a little snare wire is the extent of my prepping. If you can't do it on this, you are a goner anyway.
This should get me through a month or so, until the rest of the problems have weeded themselves out. No need for thousands of rounds of ammunition, just keep a low profile.
[Linked Image]

Good luck. smile

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 04:54 AM

Rats and beans sounds good smile

I put away a jar of eggs today. Hens laying more than I need and good to have some stashed for when they quit. Or get killed.

They keep up and over a year and taste great. Cant use store bought eggs though, they are washed.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: yukon254

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by yukonjeff

I put away a jar of eggs today. Hens laying more than I need and good to have some stashed for when they quit. Or get killed.

They keep up and over a year and taste great. Cant use store bought eggs though, they are washed.

[Linked Image]

Jeff are those pickled with the shell on?

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 05:01 AM

No they are not cooked. Raw eggs you put in . Raw eggs come out.
Its a storage method for fresh eggs.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 05:17 AM

2019 ppl would see my back porch, pantry, and spare bedroom and think I was nutty. I'd tell them I hate running out of guns, ammo, gear, or TP.

This year I look like a dam genius!
grin

Re: Prepping - 11/17/20 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by yukonjeff

[Linked Image]

Jeff are those pickled with the shell on?

Its called Water Glassing the eggs.Works great.Look it up.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums