Home

Trap line dog

Posted By: ecam

Trap line dog - 11/15/20 08:40 PM

Hey guys, I'm looking for opinions on what dog to get to go so my on my trap line and just be an all around buddy. Thx
Posted By: coalbank

Re: Trap line dog - 11/15/20 08:44 PM

A Sticka dog if you can get one. They are decoy dogs from the Dorn line with other breeds added. PM me for his info if you wish. The one I got this spring is a real Buddy and eager to work.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Trap line dog - 11/15/20 08:45 PM

I'd get A hound or a jag

I have a Redbone Now
Posted By: VAwolfer

Re: Trap line dog - 11/15/20 10:20 PM

Airedale
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Trap line dog - 11/15/20 10:22 PM

Mutt work with him he will be all you need.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by Law Dog
Mutt work with him he will be all you need.

Check out your local shelter. There are a lot of good dogs that need a good home and can be found at a shelter. Doesn't cost anything to look.
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 02:35 AM

I love black labs. Mine makes sure my mb 650s aren't frozen down.....
Posted By: Netman

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 02:50 AM

Airedale
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 02:55 AM

id say german wire haire
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 03:00 AM

I have a yellow lab mix that I'm gonna try this year. He's a pain, and will be on a lead (may not be worth the time), but I'm gonna try it just to see if he can "show" me what I may be missing. We'll see, season starts soon, so maybe I'll have info before long!..LOVE the mutt idea, best dogs I've ever had were free/mutts! Best of luck.
Posted By: John Houben

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 04:53 PM

[Linked Image]
Here are a couple "Sticka Dogs" from Montana. Ziggy and JoJo have turned out to be great dogs. Ziggy in particular. She is soon to be five and I have thought of raising a litter if I had enough interest but this spring will probably be the last chance I would consider.

I have also used Airedales for twenty-five years with great success. We raised pups for a long time and have had multiple adult Airedales. A real trapline dog is not just a mutt that rides shotgun on the trapline. They actually do a job. If they are not focussed on the game you are after and are not manageable they are just a pain in the butt. If they are focused on game and properly trained they are a bunch of fun and very useful.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 05:10 PM

Good looking dogs, John. Here is my porkchop, looks similar, Half airedale and half Jagt. She was four this last spring, and has turned into a heck of a good dog! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 05:14 PM

I once had a coon pull a trap. I went back home and returned with my Water Spaniel. She tracked the coon to a tree that I ended up shooting him out of.

I never took her with me trapping, but I think she would have been a good trapping dog.

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 05:14 PM

I remember meeting her (and you) out in MO at the NTA. I work with Mike Murray. I've hunted with a friend's Jagd Terriers and always thought I would like to get one. My Airedale looking one (Ziggy) was sired by an Odon Corr Jackdale so she is Airedale-Irish-Jack Russell.
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: Trap line dog - 11/16/20 11:26 PM

Ha ha, John. I kinda remember talking with you. Soooo many people! I have a Jack too, she was at the convention. The pic of you and Ziggy in the back of the outfit, is exactly the face my Jack makes when your giving here attention and scratching her ears! Only trouble with dogs is that they don't live long enough. For all the good times they give you, they should be our partner for life! Love my doggys.
Posted By: Marten Ted

Re: Trap line dog - 11/17/20 01:15 AM

I have an Airedale/Lab mix, she is a great dog. Finds coyotes and cats on drags without fail,
retrieves birds, has even dug a badger out of a hole for me. you name it she really is an all purpose dog. Both of those breeds on their own though are fabulous dogs. You really can’t go wrong with a Lab or an Airedale. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mac

Re: Trap line dog - 11/17/20 01:22 AM

Love the dog pictures. I don't know much about calling but would like to learn.
A good Lab is pretty hard to beat as a all around dog. Most are very smart and trainable.
Had an English Setter that was a great dog on finding drags.

Mac
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Trap line dog - 11/17/20 01:34 AM

I've posted pics before on here of our little feist, Ernie the wonder dog.
Don't forget no matter what dog you take be sure to keep the shots up to date. Ernie tries to eat coyote poo all the time. God knows what all parasite and worm eggs he can pick up in that stuff. Then there is blood to be exposed to, and all that can pose to the mutt.
Other than that, have fun. Best trapline dog I've ever had. Loves to tree coons. Also pretty scrappy around coyotes and one heck of a nose and ears on him. Can find pee spots very well.

Jim

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: PSPH17

Re: Trap line dog - 11/17/20 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by John Houben
[Linked Image]
Here are a couple "Sticka Dogs" from Montana. Ziggy and JoJo have turned out to be great dogs. Ziggy in particular. She is soon to be five and I have thought of raising a litter if I had enough interest but this spring will probably be the last chance I would consider.

I have also used Airedales for twenty-five years with great success. We raised pups for a long time and have had multiple adult Airedales. A real trapline dog is not just a mutt that rides shotgun on the trapline. They actually do a job. If they are not focussed on the game you are after and are not manageable they are just a pain in the butt. If they are focused on game and properly trained they are a bunch of fun and very useful.

Just curious what is a “Sticka” dog ?? Thanks

Re: Trap line dog - 11/17/20 03:37 PM

PSPH17,

"Sticka Dogs" are a line of cross-bred dogs used for coyote decoy/den hunting work bred by Frank Sticka in Montana. One of Mark Zagger's dogs was from Frank. "Coalbank" mentioned Sticka earlier in the thread so I thought I would show a picture of mine. Many coyote dogs are cross-bred dogs. If you get the right line of Airedales or Mountain Cur you will get just as good a dog. Also, the close breeding of those lines of dogs will usually produce a greater likelihood of a pup turning out than randomly (or even carefully) cross-bred dogs.

A couple philosophies produce constantly good dogs and with a higher probability of great dogs. One is: "the best to the best/ save the best, shoot the rest." In this case you are actually creating your own new breed of dogs no matter what the breeds were you started with. The other approach is to line breed exceptional dogs. Line breeding was described to me as breed closely related dogs. The litters that turn out are called "line bred dogs" and sold at a premium. The one's that don't turn out are called in-bred and are "given a new home."

The "Airedale-Looking" dog in my picture is a cross-bred "the best to the best" type dog. She has turned out to be an exceptional dog. Her half-sister, the red head, is average.
Posted By: charles

Re: Trap line dog - 11/17/20 04:05 PM

I learned a few things about animal behavior and scent from watching my dog. Anyone else?
Posted By: Tactical.20

Re: Trap line dog - 11/17/20 10:44 PM

You bet, one reason to bring one with you.
I like the look of the sticka, theres no border collie in them?
Posted By: Wife

Re: Trap line dog - 11/18/20 01:50 AM

You will never be the best trapper/fur harvester you can be without working with a dog on the line or in the hunt! ! ! PERIOD. If you are any type of observer, the dog (even an average one) will show you wildlife activities and actions that us humans have lost through our search to survive in the "concrete jungle". The dog shows have ruined many breeds' genetic instinct that was used to develop traits benefitting mankind. You have heard me say ---- I'm a big proponent of shelter dogs that have some hunting breed in their looks, especially terrier, lab, cur or hound.................. however,,,,, the smartest hunting dog I ever followed was a cross of shepherd, collie, elkhound and whatever else made it a wooly, medium coated and pointy nosed farm dog type. In the same breath I have had some recognized breed "giveaways" that were not worth euthanizing because of that "show blood" too close in the pedigree. Get a young dog 1-2 yrs. old if possible and skip the puppyhood so the dog is mature enough to understand your moods and (hopefully) smart enough to follow some directions. School can start a little earlier then..................... my take..... the mike
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Trap line dog - 11/18/20 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Wife
You will never be the best trapper/fur harvester you can be without working with a dog on the line or in the hunt! ! ! PERIOD. If you are any type of observer, the dog (even an average one) will show you wildlife activities and actions that us humans have lost through our search to survive in the "concrete jungle". The dog shows have ruined many breeds' genetic instinct that was used to develop traits benefitting mankind. You have heard me say ---- I'm a big proponent of shelter dogs that have some hunting breed in their looks, especially terrier, lab, cur or hound.................. however,,,,, the smartest hunting dog I ever followed was a cross of shepherd, collie, elkhound and whatever else made it a wooly, medium coated and pointy nosed farm dog type. In the same breath I have had some recognized breed "giveaways" that were not worth euthanizing because of that "show blood" too close in the pedigree. Get a young dog 1-2 yrs. old if possible and skip the puppyhood so the dog is mature enough to understand your moods and (hopefully) smart enough to follow some directions. School can start a little earlier then..................... my take..... the mike

Love this!
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Trap line dog - 11/18/20 03:14 AM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My lab. Took right to the trapline.
Posted By: Von

Re: Trap line dog - 11/18/20 11:30 AM

There's plenty of Kemmer Mountain Curs working on trapline around the country . Versatile, gritty with brains , my old dog would work sign , drags and decoy.

Re: Trap line dog - 11/18/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Von
There's plenty of Kemmer Mountain Curs working on trapline around the country . Versatile, gritty with brains , my old dog would work sign , drags and decoy.

Your right Von!

I would say I'm probably first and foremost a terrier man but I have had 3 Kemmers. My Pee Jo was a great coyote dog and squirrel dog. A lot of fun! I have been thinking of talking with you about a pup. Message me here or on TH&H so we can connect by phone.

Re: Trap line dog - 11/18/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tactical.20

Check my post above. Mine are Airedale-Irish-Jack Russell. However, Frank has/is making several different crosses.
Posted By: Scuba1

Re: Trap line dog - 11/18/20 08:51 PM

I don't think that the breed matters as much as the time spent with a dog. I would recommend a German Shepard as that is what I have and he will do anything to please me. The only thing that gets him riled up are vultures. he hates them and will chase after them till they are past his territory no matter how high they fly. Other than that he is at my side all the time unless I send him off. But all of that is more about the time I spend with him than the breed I think. I used to have Irish setters and German short and wire hair and they are not that hard to train either if one puts the time in.

Re: Trap line dog - 11/19/20 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by John Houben
Originally Posted by Tactical.20

Check my post above. Mine are Airedale-Irish-Jack Russell. However, Frank has/is making several different crosses.

Yup i read all the post
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: Trap line dog - 11/19/20 03:56 PM

My black lab took to finding finding post set locations and my drag catches quickly he is not a call dog, I was quoted saying any dog could become a trap line dog once and have to recall that statement, breeds known for aggression I would avoid, I had one that was a great dog until apx 20 called in yotes then she became TOO aggressive and she got in trouble in a group, is it training issue? I don't have enough experience in training for this to determine that, one of the best trappers I know says good trapline dogs a far and few between I think with the right temperament and good training anything is possible my lab is a natural retriever "lean mac bloodline" and avoids gland lures and most baits himself knowing they catch yotes, he has never been in my sets, make sure you carry cable cutters snares are tough to train avoidance techniques

Re: Trap line dog - 11/19/20 04:54 PM

Tactical 20,

Mine are terrier for all intents and purpose. There is a bit of Dorn way back in them so maybe a bit of Border Collie somewhere but long diluted. Frank is now crossing with a breed of cattle dog out of Idaho which I think is Airedale/Border Collie. They do have a name but I can't remember it. So, if one were to get pups from him now I would say there would be more of a collie influence.

To ND TM or anyone who might think I am putting down a particular breed of dog: I wouldn't want to offend anyone's choice of dog. It's like women, guns and trucks . . . to each their own. Things like are you working in hot TX in the summer or only cold months up north can influence what is the ideal dog for someone. So there is not the perfect dog for everyone or for everywhere.

Re: Trap line dog - 11/19/20 05:49 PM

[Linked Image]
My old Dorn dog from ogormans

Re: Trap line dog - 11/19/20 07:43 PM

Tactical 20 your Dorn dog looks like a Dorn dog my friend S.L. had back in the 1990's. Jake was a Walker/Airedale looking dog and was a coyote trolling machine.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Trap line dog - 11/19/20 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Marten Ted
Finds coyotes and cats on drags without fail,
retrieves birds, has even dug a badger out of a hole for me. you name it she really is an all purpose dog.

sounds just like my first Brittany when I lived in Idaho. Belle would out retrieve labs in the Snake River.........and oooooh would their owners be po'd.
Posted By: Machias

Re: Trap line dog - 11/20/20 04:20 PM

coalbank and John Houben, sent you both a PM for the breeders contact information. Thanks!!
© 2024 Trapperman Forums