Home

Muskrats

Posted By: rex123

Muskrats - 11/16/20 05:27 PM

Does anyone know if any states are doing studies on the decline of muskrat populations? Something I have been reading up on and was just wondering.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Muskrats - 11/16/20 05:40 PM

Try to Google Penn state muskrat decline study. I read a study the college did one time and bet its on-line.
Posted By: camlock

Re: Muskrats - 11/16/20 05:41 PM

I read in trappers post (I think) Ohio was doing a study.
Posted By: bblwi

Re: Muskrats - 11/16/20 05:52 PM

In my small area I am seeing a resurgence in rats the last two years. The sloughs that were dry for years all have some to several signs of rats and the river line is doing a bit better than it was years ago.

Bryce
Posted By: nimzy

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 08:39 AM

https://www.lakenganoe.com/muskrat-ecology.html
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 10:48 AM

we have more rats, than in years , last few years they made a big come back
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 12:34 PM

Pa. did a study two years ago. I saved 10 carcasses for the PGC for the biologists.
Posted By: 080808

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 12:38 PM

July 2020 issue of FFG had a short article that makes sense to me. No “one” big thing.
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 12:42 PM

I heard Indiana's furbearer biologist on The Trap House podcast saying that she and several other midwestern state furbearer biologists are studying the situation together. I know I saw her at the ISTA fur auction taking measurements and recording data from the muskrat pelts that were there at the auction.

It was quite and interesting interview. I think you can download the podcast at HoosierTrapperSupply.com and then look for a link to The Trap House podcast.
Posted By: walleyed

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 05:43 PM

New York State did a three year study on the muskrat decline
about 10 years ago.

I donated 100's of carcasses over 3 years for aging study
and counting placental scars to determine productivity.

They determined that female rats had an average of 13 kits
per year and a high of 27 kits.

They determined that production of Y.O.Y kits was adequate
to sustain the population but that kits were not recruiting
as yearlings due to various types of mortality.

It was a big question mark ????

walleyed
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 05:55 PM

Ours come and go with the amount of water we have at that time lots of rats where you did not see them in the past now but the potholes are drying up.
Posted By: LewisWV90

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 06:23 PM

West Virginia DNR is currently working on a muskrat study and requesting muskrat carcasses. I believe it's only been going on for a year or two, havent seen any updates, but I believe they're looking at liver samples and toxicity levels.
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Muskrats - 11/17/20 07:46 PM

I feel predators contribute to the decline as well as dry weather conditions. I have a 40 acre pond on my land. Due to heavier than normal rainfall, the water went up significantly. Earlier this year I saw numerous rat houses and rats. Then the eagles showed up. It didn't take long and the rats began to disappear. Too coincidental as far as I'm concerned.
Posted By: Bison88

Re: Muskrats - 11/18/20 03:03 AM

Lawdog is right about SD. After the 2012 drought you couldn't find a rat. We had a couple of wet years and this spring was great. Somewhat dry again but the big sloughs still have huts so if we can maintain some moisture we will maintain some rats. That drought really knocked em back and it took several years for them to come back.
Posted By: BvrRetriever

Re: Muskrats - 11/18/20 04:14 AM

I’m curious if Canada is experiencing the same decline in muskrat population??
Posted By: Boco

Re: Muskrats - 11/18/20 03:36 PM

There are plenty of rats where I am,but big catches are tough as they are spread out over the wilderness in beaver ponds and lakes.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums