Home

Otter foothold sets

Posted By: k snow

Otter foothold sets - 11/17/20 05:05 PM

I am looking to set up a few footholds for otter later this year. I have a few #3 and #4 double long springs. No large coils (anything past #2). I plan on setting them on drowner cables.

The creeks I will be setting are rock/gravel bottoms and sides. Would around 40 pounds be enough weight at the end of the cable? Or any other ideas to anchor the water end in rock/gravel? I can pound a rebar stake in 12-18 inches, but they pull right out and spin easily.

I may end up looking at drowning rods, but I would have to get some rebar and learn how to weld. Or should I go older school and just use a tangle stake? I worry about the tangle stake not being anchored in the rock/gravel.

Thanks.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/17/20 07:50 PM

40 lbs is plenty. I don;'t use one way sliders because when I tried them a long time ago the slide cable caught leaves, grass etc so the slide wouldn't work. Instead I wire a small bag of rocks near the trap and anchor in deep water with a heavy sack of rocks. A steep drop to deep water from the bank is ideal although a strong current helps if depth is somewhat lacking. Ideally tie off anchor sack to a stout branch out over the water well away from the bank to keep the catch out.
Vertically positioned body grippers on trails/slides are great but trap shy otter may reject them.
Posted By: Co�s

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/17/20 08:07 PM

TraprJon on here makes and sells Bauer-type drowning rod hardware that doesn’t require welding and is very reasonably priced, if you want to go that route they’re well made and he’s great to deal with. I picked up a dozen from him that I’ll be putting to use in a couple of weeks.
Posted By: Ave

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/17/20 08:29 PM

Take your cables, and some feed sacks. Fill them with rocks from the creek, and your good to go.
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/19/20 11:53 PM

What Ave said. If close to road i have also used just cinder block with 11 ga drowning wire. At shore end a 12" rebar is all i use
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 12:05 AM

I just used a couple of old rotors chained together. A big one off my excursion and a small one from an accord. A little slack so they spread out and they stayed where they were put. But we have a mix of mud and rock.

I also have just wired on to a large rock found on sight and tossed it into the deep water.

If I had to walk far I would use the feed sack filled on sight.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 12:18 AM

RR tie plates work
Posted By: waggler

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 12:52 AM

Use cable drowners instead of solid wire if you can. Also, a tangle stake out next to the sack of rocks sure won't hurt any; just extra insurance and something else to distract the otter. I have had theme rip up a feed sack of rocks before, they are one tough animal.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 01:17 AM

Chain is the easiest and longest lasting drowner system If you have No welder. The chain cut at 10 feet, top end add 2 add -a -links for using one or 2 cross stakes. Lock is long lasting and Easy to make from conduit. 3/4" inside dia. Bottom of chain , use 1 add a link as a lock stop wire up to a 1/2 feedback of sand or rocks. Easy to carry in Empty and fill at the set location. [Linked Image]
Slide lock cut at angle from a pipe. Hole drilled on bottom direction end.

[Linked Image]
.slick system...no lock snagging.
Posted By: drasselt

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 03:17 AM

Nice set up 330, thanks!
Posted By: g smith

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 03:53 AM

That looks like a lasting setup 330 . Twisted wire is ---- cranky .thanks
Posted By: AJE

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 04:10 AM

Sometimes I like the light weight of cable.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by g smith
That looks like a lasting setup 330 . Twisted wire is ---- cranky .thanks

Absolutely!
Posted By: k snow

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 11:50 AM

Thanks for all of the tips guys. We have rifle season starting tomorrow morning for 9 days. I'll start setting for otter heavier after that.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Otter foothold sets - 11/20/20 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
I just used a couple of old rotors chained together. A big one off my excursion and a small one from an accord. A little slack so they spread out and they stayed where they were put. But we have a mix of mud and rock.

I also have just wired on to a large rock found on sight and tossed it into the deep water.

If I had to walk far I would use the feed sack filled on sight.

I use rotors as well and have a good stock to choose from. Usually pick thorugh for the heavier ones I suspect probably came off trucks. I don't weigh them but our legal minimum is 30 lbs. Not sure what mine weigh but I've yet to experience the biggest of beavers move them. Relatively easy to carry and throw, free, lie flat on the bottom, easy to connect to, drag back in without hanging up most of the time, not much to dislike about them.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums