Home

Sinus infections

Posted By: larrywaugh

Sinus infections - 11/18/20 12:14 AM

I usually get 2 or 3 a year. It starts with a sore throat . The next day I'm coughing have chest congestion and can hardly breathe . If I dont go to a doctor I'm in for three weeks of misery. Anybody got any tricks for not getting them or getting better faster when you do?
Posted By: Marty

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 12:22 AM

suphadrine pe
Posted By: corky

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 12:24 AM

I'm in the same boat with you. Zinc and Vitamin C will help prevent and lessen the effects but it still takes 3 weeks for me also. Neti pot gives some relief.
Posted By: adam m

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 12:24 AM

hot chile will help clear them out.

Use a sinus rinse with a saline solution. Use with bottled or distilled water and while in the shower. It will flush out your sinuses.

Limit and or avoid dairy products and other inflammatory foods.

I suffer from acute sinusitis which basically means my sinuses are really clogged and inflamed. Doctors want to scrape away bone around the sinus cavities to enlarge them. They are so bad most of the time i can only partly breathe from one nostril most of the day. At night once I lay down my sinuses close. Even small amounts of butter or milk will cause an instant sinus infection for me.
Posted By: Nd native

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 12:27 AM

I hear yah. I get the same thing every fall like clock work. If you find a magic cure let me know.
Posted By: YamaCat

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 12:35 AM

My wife swears by Claritin-D. Doesn’t really work for me. Dealing with it right now, doing the Netty, gargling the listerine, and lots of vitamin C.
Posted By: gutthooked

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 01:12 AM

Arm and hammer saline rinse a few times a day , will clear you up. But I'm guessing you have sinus issues like me that required surgery to help. I used to get infections that pretty much never went away. I also have bad allergies that dont help either. I still have chronic sinusitis and get sinus headaches and blood clots occasional but it's way better now since the surgery.

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 01:16 AM

Does any thing seem to trigger yours. Seems like everytime I eat a lot of ham like during the holidays I get one. Other times it seems random. When your coughing and congested everyone's gonna think you got covid.

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 01:21 AM

suphadrine pe

smile
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 01:23 AM

Seems like alot going around right now.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 01:28 AM

nasal flushes with plain water a pinch of baking soda and a pinch or salt. They have devises for doing the flush I use a soda straw and a cup and yep snort it up. Just watch you do not inhale to hard start slow and dont scrape the inside of your nose and get a bleed.
Posted By: ou812

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 01:31 AM

Eat something as spicy hot as you can stand or really stout horseradish. When it starts running real good, get your shopvac and apply ample amount of suction. Adjust the suction by opening and closing your mouth.Not sure how well it works but sounds good in theory.

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 01:37 AM

Adam I hear you on not being able to breathe when you lay down. It used to be terrible for me. At the time I chewed tobacco when I guit several years ago it improved a lot. About the only time I have trouble now is when I get an infection.

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 02:05 AM

Marty is that the stuff they keep behind the counter you have to ask for?

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 02:16 AM

suphadrine pe is in the aisle @ walmart with the other sinus cold stuff. I use the equate brand. It will fix you up if you take as directed.
Posted By: Kent Smith

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 02:25 AM

Sinus infections were my biggest problem during the winter months. Head splitting pain in the front and later turning into Vertigo if left unattended.

Found out about a Neti Pot and found some relief. My daughter, a nurse, ordered and had a "Sinus Pulse Elite" machine delivered to me. It basically is a Neti Pot power washer.

I can fool around until they are infected and once I start using my machine I can clear them up. When the powder runs out they send with it in packets you can substitute 2 teaspoons of non iodized salt and 2 teaspoons of baking soda. The same mixture in the packets.

Over the counter "ALKALOL Nasal Wash", recommended by Drs. will assist in cleaning out mucus. The machine holds the equivalent of 2 netti pots so I use 1/2 of the solution on one side then switch sides.

I only use distilled water and warm it before putting in the machine.

Good Health.

TrapperKent
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 02:57 AM

Too bad...you have the rona, join the statistics!
Posted By: Furvor

Re: Sinus infections - 11/18/20 04:43 AM

Possibly bad for your ticker but make sure your sinus drip tastes moderately salty.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Sinus infections - 11/20/20 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by adam m

Use a sinus rinse with a saline solution. Use with bottled or distilled water and while in the shower

This is what works for me!
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Sinus infections - 11/20/20 01:43 PM

You get a sore throat b/c of snot. So the first symptom is the snot, not the sore throat. The best thing to do is to notice when the snot starts and to fight it back with nose spray and not to let it turn into a sore throat.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Sinus infections - 11/20/20 02:01 PM

need to eat chilis hot enough to make your nose run once in a while. vitamin c, fiber, that wasnt a joke. keep your sinus cavity cleaned out the natural way
© 2024 Trapperman Forums