Home

Alaskan guide tent???

Posted By: adam m

Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 06:40 AM

How are they? I have to replace the new 6 man tent I recently bought because it was stolen. I now need a new tent with a week and half before my daughters hunt. This closure means "outdoor" stores are closed so I have to order online. I am looking at the 4 man Alaskan Guide tent.

I know canvas is far superior. I need something that is 4 season and that me and my daughter can assemble quickly, or if I decide to ever camp by myself especially in winter. My other tent I have is not good for these mountains in Nov/Dec. I learned the hard way last year. LOL
Posted By: waggler

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 06:45 AM

What brand?
Canvas far superior to what?
What are "these mountains"? What State?

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 06:50 AM

A couple more thoughts/questions.

When you say "four man" what exactly do you mean by that? Most tents that say "four man" are basically four people sleeping side by side like sardines with no room for gear or cooking. Dimensions would be a better explanation of what you are looking for.
Posted By: James

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:02 AM

A couple months ago I sold my used Cabela's six-man Alaska Guide tent at a garage sale for $100. I used it for years before I sold it.

I'd say it's a good, waterproof, 3.5 season tent in cold (below freezing) or warm weather. In damp, cool weather, at the dew-point, the tent can rain like a monsoon inside. It is not good at venting condensation.

The tent's other big drawback is it is aggravating and time-consuming to set up. The poles aren't color-coded. The fly is tied down with bungee-corded open hooks that snag on each other and the poles as you try to fasten the fly.

Finally, my AG tent had fiberglas poles, which held up well over the years but are much heavier than aluminum.

I should mention that my AG tent was 25 years old when I sold it, and it held up to well over a hundred nights of camping. Also, they may have changed some of the features of the tent in that time.

I sold the AG tent after buying a better tent: the North Face Northstar, which is easier to set up and handles condensation much better.

Forget the four-person version. You can stand upright in the six.

Jim

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
A couple more thoughts/questions.

When you say "four man" what exactly do you mean by that? Most tents that say "four man" are basically four people sleeping side by side like sardines with no room for gear or cooking. Dimensions would be a better explanation of what you are looking for.

Man, you're right there. A four-person tent is about right for two.

Jim
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:11 AM

I always thought 4 season tents have stove jack's or smoke flaps. Everything else is just a tent.

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 08:02 AM

You can camp in cold or wet weather without a stove or fire.

Having either is the luxury way to do it though.

Jim

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 02:47 PM

Waggler, cabelas brand Alaskan Guide.
NM mountains. We have upto 13k' we'll be hunting at 11k'
Yes I know when it says 4 man means like sardines lol. I just need room for me and 1 most of the time.
Canvas wall tents are usually superior to most tents.

Thanks James. I'll keep that in mind.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 04:16 PM

Bigger is usually better

I dont know if Cabelas brand stuff changed in quality when. Bass pro bought them.
Posted By: eedup

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 04:27 PM

Own four and a six man ag . Love em. As stated the hooks on the rain fly catch on everything. The six is difficult but not impossible to set up by yourself. I started with a 2 man ag and it held up for years. I had fiberglass poles with all mine. I used the six for bear hunting this fall in northern Minn.
Posted By: ttzt

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 04:44 PM

I took the hooks off the fly and re attached 1 to each ring on the tent base. No more catching on everything, just pull the elastic bands down to the hook.
Posted By: Robert Martin

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 04:53 PM

I never like the looks of the Kodiak Canvas Flex-Bow tent... but I ended up buying one this year, and I'm a believer now!! There is a reason they have nothing but 5 star reviews. I got the 9'x8.5 and it is very comfortable for 2 guys with cots, and it is supposed to work well with a little buddy propane heater. We didn't use a heater cause it was unusually warm this year.

https://www.competitiveedgeproducts.com/Kodiak-Canvas-Tents_c_11.html

I ordered my from Competitive Edge Products, the link is above. I highly recommend!

Posted By: yukon254

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 05:02 PM

Buy an Arctic Oven and never look back.Best tent money can buy, period.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 05:03 PM

James , you know they sell electrical tape in a bunch of colors , you just put a couple wraps on the pole after the first time you get it set up right and your good to go color coded
Posted By: danvee

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 05:04 PM

I have used them on 3 trips 4 persons can lay in them shoulder to shoulder but no room for gear storage or to get dressed. We did it with 3 people and still very little storage and hard to get dressed you have to be in the center of the tent to somewhat stand. We did it with 3 on 14 day fishing trips and it worked but was spartan. the vestibule at the opening does allow for some storage of a couple of packs. Two people would work out ok but have a place to store gear and you would be better. They are a bit tough to set up especially the first go around so allow for time doing that. On a positive note they are bullet proof tough and hold up in extreme wind and they do stay dry. If it was me I would plan on setting up the tent between two trees string a rope between trees put a big rain fly over it and use that area for extra shelter for cooking and stowing gear. I have never been a big fan of cooking in a nylon tent they burn quick and easy.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ttzt
I took the hooks off the fly and re attached 1 to each ring on the tent base. No more catching on everything, just pull the elastic bands down to the hook.

Good idea
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 06:57 PM

Check craigslist too

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 06:59 PM

https://albuquerque.craigslist.org/spo/d/albuquerque-cabelas-outfitters-tent/7229596135.html

https://showlow.craigslist.org/spo/d/white-mountain-lake-springbar-tent/7223577831.html
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:11 PM

I looked at the Alaskan Guide model for years before I bought one. I bought the 6 man tent. It really is good for only 2 (with cots) or 3 people along with their gear and a small propane heater. I love it but as been stated the rain fly hooks catch on everything when your putting it on or taking it off. I fixed that by taking the hooks off the fly and just hooking them at the base one by one while setting the tent up. Keep them in an old pill bottle in the bag the tent comes with. Also the fly tie down cords are kinda hard to keep from getting tangled. In the newer instinct tents each cord has a pouch to stuff the cord in. But I just wrap the cords in a small coil and then place a rubber band around the coil to keep the cord bunched up Works great. These two suggestions really simplified the process of setting up my tent. I love the 6 man so much but a little small so I went out and got an 8 man. These are great tents. I have had them in snowy conditions, heavy winds, and heavy rain. Work great. The 4 man tent was hard to get into when I was looking at buying one as I am 6'1" and 250 lbs with a bad back.... hard to stoop down to get in the door. I have wall tents and they are the best to use on a big group long stay. I paid around $300 for the new 6 man from Cabelas on sale and got my 8 man for $150 used off craigslist with a floor liner and a ground cover. Good luck !

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by yukon254
Buy an Arctic Oven and never look back.Best tent money can buy, period.

X2

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by adam m
Waggler, cabelas brand Alaskan Guide.
NM mountains. We have upto 13k' we'll be hunting at 11k'
Yes I know when it says 4 man means like sardines lol. I just need room for me and 1 most of the time.
Canvas wall tents are usually superior to most tents.

Thanks James. I'll keep that in mind.

I'll bet you have an extremely dry climate, that may factor in to condensation issues; maybe you don't have them??
In a climate like that I imagine canvas might be just fine, also in relatively windless areas a canvas wall tent might be good.
The most condensation proof/breathable material I have ever seen in ten construction is used by Alaska Tent and Tarp. As mentioned above their AO series and I believe their Pipeline series uses this material. I think it is a proprietary material.
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:55 PM

Didn't you just ask for prayers to buy a house?

I guess if you can hunt at those altitudes your health issues are better.

I like the Cabelas guide tent in terms of weight and toughness. It got me through a couple windy and rainy hunts in AK.

Good luck.

Pete
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 07:58 PM

The best tent money can buy is the one that will keep you comfortable in the conditions you will be using it in.

It's still fall so I probably only need a 3 season here in interior Alaska. My Seek Outside teepee does an excellent job of holding in heat but you'll be in a rainforest if you're on lush vegetation without providing ventilation. It is both lightweight and durable. I purchased the 8 man which is comfortable for 3 men, stove and all your gear. It will sleep 1 man and 7 women comfortably without the stove.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by James
You can camp in cold or wet weather without a stove or fire.

Having either is the luxury way to do it though.

Jim

Thanks captain obvious.

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 10:34 PM

Uh-oh some snowflake got his feelings ruffled and is trying to sink this thread.

Jim
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 10:58 PM

When I don't have to pack in (motor or boat access), my favorite tent the last couple years is my Eskimo ice fishing pop-up hub tent. Full stand-up height, 2 doors, vents, windows with screens and covers, and the blackout material helps the kids sleep in the summer. It's built to be anchored down and withstand decent wind. I don't know why I didn't use one for summer camping years ago.
It doesn't have a floor so you need a tarp, and the seams aren't waterproof so you need another tarp for a fly. That doesn't bother me because I got in the habit of using extra ground and rain tarps anyway. It does tend to condensate, but with all the vents and windows that's pretty easy to remedy.
I've seen that Eskimo and maybe Clam now have tents made for camping. I don't know what the difference is, mine is a regular red ice tent.

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 11:28 PM

Thanks everyone I appreciate it. Lots of information.

I looked over the suggestions and links and they are nice but out of budget right now some have long shipping times. I need this by next week.

Waggler it is dry all over right now. It has been a very unusally dry year here and in the area. That doesn't stop NM weather though. Weather can drastically change in minutes especially in northern NM.

Swift, you are right and I think you must have missed a few posts of mine. As of Sunday evening I am in contract to buy a house. Yes my health issues are still here but 1) this is my daughters first hunt plus it is a very hard unit to drawn in and I will not miss it, regardless of how I am feeling. 2) I might have to go slow but I wouldn't miss it. 3) I am used to the elevation.
4) Friday morning my storage unit was broken into along with 14 others. They ht me real hard this time, they got a lot from my unit including the new 6 man tent I bought this summer and had not used yet. Trust me when I say I really don't want to replace tools hunting gear, camping gear, archery gear, and much more. Unfortunately I have to replace the tent, hunting bags, backpacks a frame pack right away. I am waiting for the insurance company to call and hopefully write me a check soon. Just from the stuff I know that is gone it is over $11k so far, my policy maxes at $10k per claim.

Kenaikid, That is a genius idea.

What is wild is about 1.5 months ago or so Cabelas had these tents on sale and I thought about it but decided not to since I had recently bought a 6 man tent.

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/18/20 11:30 PM

Wish you were closer I'd let you take the wall tent and camp set up I have. What part of the state are you in?

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/19/20 02:13 AM

Thanks for the offer. I'm in central NM

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/19/20 02:40 AM

https://lascruces.craigslist.org/spo/d/alamogordo-cabella-man-tent/7233084800.html

Close to this place?

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/19/20 03:37 AM

man that is a deal. I am about 3.5 hours away from there. I generally look in the Albuquerque ads.

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/19/20 04:00 AM

The cabelas outfitters tent that i posted the link of should sell for about 1000 and is 12 x 20 take the whole family and have room to cook in it, just saying
Posted By: swift4me

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/19/20 05:02 AM

Good luck on your hunt.

Pete

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/19/20 05:33 AM

It is a nice a tent for sure.

Thanks Swift
Posted By: Saskfly

Re: Alaskan guide tent??? - 11/19/20 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by white dog
I purchased the 8 man which is comfortable for 3 men, stove and all your gear. It will sleep 1 man and 7 women comfortably without the stove.

Nice...….I always said about "two man" tents, it sleeps two if your married.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums