Home

Dog licking front paws

Posted By: wamp

Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 11:43 AM

My cur in the last year has started licking her front paw more and more to the place anytime she is laying she is licking. What is the possible reason for this it has went past the cleaning stage.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 11:51 AM

injury, skin problems, environmental, parasite, or food allergies, and boredom or anxiety.

My cocker would lick his feet a lot when the wife wasn't home. As soon as she got home it would quit.

As he got older it started getting worse, because he was deaf and almost blind. So he was anxious about things sneaking up on him. He would curl up in a corner and lick away. The only time he wouldn't is if he was on the couch or chair with someone and they had a hand on him. You didn't have to pet him, just have a hand resting on him.

There were times when he would have his whole foot in his mouth.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by elkaholic

i don't think I'm overly anxious, but I do that too quite often...
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 11:54 AM

My wife's little dog does this incessantly. We believe it is caused by anxiety and is simply a bad habit.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 11:56 AM

Dogs equivalent to bitting nails.
Posted By: wamp

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 12:17 PM

I can be petting her and she is still licking them.
She hears and sees well she is 4 years old.
It's gotten worse in the last month or so.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Gulo
Originally Posted by elkaholic

i don't think I'm overly anxious, but I do that too quite often...

Ha! grin
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 01:51 PM

My Chesapeake started doing that last year. After a week or so of " knock it off" every time he would do it, he stopped. Only very rarely does it now. Seems almost hypnotic and just snapping him out of it each time eventually worked.

I would try to get it stopped as soon as you can. I have seen Labs, when not corrected, lick the hair right off their foot, then ya got a whole other problem....................
Posted By: The hammer

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 02:11 PM

Are yorkie did this for months. Would drive me nuts laying in bed watching her not stop lick her paws. The vet said to try a different brand of food, so we switch that and about after 3 days after starting the new brand the paw licking stopped.
Posted By: super cub

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 02:12 PM

Our lab did this only on the back feet, Vet said it was food allergies, we have had to feed her grain free food since she was a pup and we take her in about every 6 months for an allergy shot
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by super cub
Our lab did this only on the back feet, Vet said it was food allergies, we have had to feed her grain free food since she was a pup and we take her in about every 6 months for an allergy shot

And did it work?
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 02:48 PM

My beagle is always licking her feet and scratching allergies they say.
Posted By: Boco

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 03:25 PM

Lickin off the covid.
Posted By: elkaholic

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 03:31 PM

I was just watching a video about this on facebook. (big brother at work after responding to this)
It was basically saying a lot of dogs do it when they are having stomach issues.
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 03:34 PM

Probably a yeast infection.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 03:42 PM

Allergies . My bassett did it . Ended up giving her shots. Then switch to a special diet.
But now there are vitamins for that.

Dino vits is one . Good luck can be tons of allergens.
Posted By: k snow

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/18/20 03:50 PM

My cur will lick, scratch and bite himself every fall. Starts when winter wheat harvest starts and lasts 6 weeks. We tried to avoid medication, but after scabs and oozing wounds, we give him a steroid when the allergies start. Good food has helped, as well as moving to an area with less agriculture.
We even tried a blue suit to keep him from hurting himself. That was hilarious.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SGT. C

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/19/20 12:18 AM

K snow, How awful. You dressed him as a democrat. I would be depressed myself.
Posted By: Spade

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/19/20 12:39 AM

AKC Kennel club link:

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/health/why-does-my-dog-lick-and-chew-his-paws
Posted By: k snow

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/19/20 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by SGT. C
K snow, How awful. You dressed him as a democrat. I would be depressed myself.

We got him John Deer baby socks to cover his feet too. He refused to go outside dressed up.

The other color options weren't any better.
Posted By: charles

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/19/20 02:12 AM

Google a product named DynoVite. It is a food additive. Used it on two dogs of my dogs that were licking their front paws. Worked each time. I hear it advertised on XM/Serius radio all the time. It worked for me.

Made with menhaden fish. Might be a good coon and mink lure.

Your dog probably has an airborne allergy or a food allergy. Are you feeding it a grain based dry dog food? Try cutting back on the grain. Veggies are ok but too much grain can cause licking.
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/19/20 07:47 AM

I have one dog that has it. I believe my dog is picking up pollen or similar off the grass. It gets a lot better once we get snow on the ground here. Pay attention to the food as well. Some allergies come from the food we buy them. The grain free stuff didn't work for me but some cheaper brands helped. Don't buy a giant bag unless you know it isn't causing the issues. Blue Diamond was the worst for allergies in my dog.

Unfortunately allergies get worse as they get older. The shots worked initially for me but lost its effectiveness fairly quickly.

Here's a few things I found help:

Fish oil: Recommended by the vet...helps with allergies (and really thickens up their coat).

Dog vitamin....sometimes they are just missing a nutrient.

50/50 hydrocortisone cream and anti bacterial salve. Mix and put on the dry spots as they develop (watch inside the ears as well). The vet sells the same stuff but you can buy the two separate at Walmart and save a bunch of money. They might lick the hydrocortisone cream and that's OK. The vet said it works internally too. I'll actually let her lick out of the tube. Seems they know they need it.

Like said...Allergies get worse as they age.
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/19/20 08:46 AM

Changing to grain-free food fixed it for my retriever. KIRKLAND brand Nature's Domain is the best dog food I've found for the price.
Posted By: cbat

Re: Dog licking front paws - 11/19/20 01:28 PM

Could also be a deal called Transcing. I had never heard of it until my wife got a new pup
© 2024 Trapperman Forums