Home

1st Bid on Gunbroker

Posted By: 30/06

1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:16 PM

Good morning T-Man, I'm about to bid for the first time on Gunbroker dot com. A rifle. Never purchased a firearm on line before. My local gun emporium says their FFL is on file with Gunbroker, and say I should be good to go. Any gotchas or hints I should be aware of? Thanks.
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:21 PM

Bid high. Bid often.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:25 PM

Bid the max you'd be willing to pay the last couple hours of the auction.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:28 PM

I bought my 300 Weatherby M V from GB...no snags at all. Matter of fact, I got a very nice deal on it. The seller , in GA was great to work with, very honest and was thrilled I was getting such a gorgeous rifle . Lots of sellers on there, but since the site has their rules that have worked for them a long time, I would think you'll have an easy time.

As anything, just set a cap on your bidding for yourself, go just a wee bit higher than the existing bid , and know when to stop if you have to. No need to bid any higher than necessary, IMO.

Your FFL dealer probably has dealt with GB before and could also have good info for you.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:36 PM

Buy high,then sell low.Keep the economy rolling.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:41 PM

price of gun +price of shipping + price of your dealer transfer = actual price

I think some people forget that because things that they could have had at a local dealer for the price of the bid they are paying shipping and transfer fee on. or it seems that way to me.
Posted By: MJM

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:41 PM

From what I have seen your gun emporium will have to send, fax, email the seller a copy of their FFL. Gunbroker isn't selling anything. Someone is selling it on gunbroker. Just like the trap shed does not sell anything, people sell using the trap shed. I have bought a half dozen guns off there and never a problem.
Posted By: MJM

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by GREENCOUNTYPETE
I think some people forget that because things that they could have had at a local dealer for the price of the bid they are paying shipping and transfer fee on. or it seems that way to me.

Yes you have to pay shipping and transfer fees. But some times it is still way cheaper than the local dealer. I bought a M&P9 new and the dealer it was shipped too said he sold them and I should have got it from him. I told him there should be a receipt in the box and I would take two more for the price I gave for that one. He looked at the receipt and said it was way under his price. Yes I watched for quite a while to get that deal, but I got it. Right now you go into the local shops and the shelves are bare, at least there is something to bid on GB.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:09 PM

Wait until last minute to give your high bid !! pros at this have it down to seconds. BUT don't be disappointed the "NO" reserve is bs. If it doesn't bring what they want the seller just bids on his own stuff.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:10 PM

IF you can find it !!!!
Posted By: martentrapper

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:23 PM

Don’t forget the 15 minute rule.
Posted By: Marty B

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by jbyrd63
Wait until last minute to give your high bid !! pros at this have it down to seconds. BUT don't be disappointed the "NO" reserve is bs. If it doesn't bring what they want the seller just bids on his own stuff.

Theres a hefty commission they would have to forfeit if they bought their own stuff.

Also, read the 15 minutes rule, just bid as much as you can stand, and hope for the best.

Posted By: wissmiss

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:28 PM

Seller bidding on his own items is not allowed - in theory. It does happen, probably fairly often. If the auction site catches you doing that, they have the right to ban you from buying and selling. The secret is - don’t get caught, have a friend bid for you.
Posted By: 41cal

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:30 PM

They have a 15 minute rule.
If a bid is placed in the last 15 min of the auction, the clock restarts at 15 min and counts down,
so you cant snipe the auction at the last minute.

I just place my bid with the highest amount that i am willing to spend on the gun
then walk away. Gunbroker will keep out bidding for you untill you reach your maximum amount.
This way you dont get caught up in a bidding war and severely overpay for the gun.

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:32 PM

Thank you all for the inputs. In this instance, it regards a rifle I've been looking for, and haven't found around here. So it's a function of availability rather than price. I am willing to pay more to buy local, if I can find it, but I haven't found it yet. So I think I'll place a bid late in the bidding period for what it's worth to me minus fees.
p.s. Sharon: a .300 WM mark V, form and function, like a P51 Mustang!

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:33 PM

IF you can find it !!!!

this is true , I found one real deal on a muzzle loader so it could ship right to me on GB

my dealer is usually not more than 30 dollars more than any online price I have found which would be the transfer fee.

with the current shortage all the old rules of buying a gun are out the window , just grab what you can get if you need it or want it.

I watched a Mauser action marked 7.62 conversion go for 377 no barrel virtually no finish left last week on GB a year ago at the local gun shows you could have decently sporterized K98s in 308 with nice blueing for 325

the prices change fast these days and supply is crazy

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 09:33 PM

Thanks for the 15 minute rule tip.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 11:14 PM

I have added to my Mosin Nagant collection, along with my M1 30 carbine collection. on GB I seen price increases coming on Milsurp stuff I knew my models well. 3 - 4 years ago I scooped up plenty of deals. Now a deal is hard to come by. I agree toss a hail Mary, if it wins you win what you wanted. My local FFL treats me very good doing paper work.
Posted By: Sharon

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by 30/06
Thank you all for the inputs. In this instance, it regards a rifle I've been looking for, and haven't found around here. So it's a function of availability rather than price. I am willing to pay more to buy local, if I can find it, but I haven't found it yet. So I think I'll place a bid late in the bidding period for what it's worth to me minus fees.
p.s. Sharon: a .300 WM mark V, form and function, like a P51 Mustang!

This rifle is among the most beautiful models I've seen. And that's including the several SHOT SHOWS in LA I've been to.

From forestock to butt the wood grain is Aurora borealis , or tiger eye gemstone, shimmering in depth as it is turned in the light. NO engraving that messes up the pure flow of the beauty of wood.

And yes, it is aptly called a "lightning bolt in hand".

The seller can arrange any good deal they want in the ultimate sale.

P51 Mustang indeed !

Posted By: Trappercass

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 11:39 PM

I’m willing to bet most gunbroker transactions do not end up paying sales tax. That alone can make it pretty hard for the local gun guy to compete with, especially on some of the higher priced stuff.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 11:44 PM

Good luck.
Posted By: Nostalgia

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/18/20 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Buy high,then sell low.Keep the economy rolling.

Lol! Obamanomics
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 01:12 AM

Make sure your FFL will accept from a seller that doesn’t have one and doesn’t want to use one. It’s legal but some FFL’s don’t like it and won’t be a part of it.

Owl
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 02:18 AM

I have bought stuff and sold some parts on Gunbroker a few times.I would recommend the site.People where always excellent to do business with.Way better than flea bay.

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 03:25 AM

Well, I was outbid in the last few seconds. I put in my limit bid, and the price crept up with me in the lead. Then with less than a minute to go, someone topped my upper limit bid. Oh well. I'll keep looking.
Posted By: SpottedOwl

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 03:29 AM

What are you looking for?

Owl
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 03:36 AM

Sorry Man!

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 04:00 AM

I'd found a Win model 70 Featherweight in 7mm08, made at CT plant.
Posted By: aknome

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 04:45 AM

I've purchased numerous items on Gun Broker from all over the US. I've never had a problem. I too have been edged out by someone with time to sit at the computer and faster internet speed.
Posted By: Dead Coyote

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 10:38 AM

Don’t consume alcohol beverages when bidding on Gunbroker. Just saying!

Re: 1st Bid on Gunbroker - 11/19/20 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Dead Coyote
Don’t consume alcohol beverages when bidding on Gunbroker. Just saying!

that is good advice , did that once , didn't win any of the auctions I am still cheap but I bid a lot more than I normally would have
© 2024 Trapperman Forums