Home

Customers hate it when ya happy

Posted By: Wolfdog91

Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 04:01 AM

So this is somthing I noticed. Now I like to have a good mood in the work place. Somthing I've learned form the millitary and general day labor is stuff suck alot less when you can get the guys your working with in a good mood and smiling. Seriouly, can't tell you how many days I was up on a roof in 90 degree temps setting tin or shingles hating life or up to my knees in sand and dust trying to hook up retrival chains because some grunt didn't know what he was doing and got his track stuck. But everything got better after a few jokes or a story. Sun felt a little less hot ,the crappy water tasted a little better, and you felt like it want as big of a drag because the boys (and girls in alot of cases) where laughing.
So I still do this even in retail and it works just as well,what I noticed though is, alot of customers seem to hate seeing employees in a good mood and joking. Seems we get someone daily come and complain that where having to much fun or where not being professional. Now I can understand if me and my crew where just propped in a corner jaw jacking but just about eveytime it's happened we where in the middle of busting butt. Usually I'll just bust off a joke and eveyone laughs but keeping working. But I can't tell you how many remarks I've gotten along the line of "mabye I should tell your supervisor about all this talking y'all doing " or "what yall been smoking all this laughing ain't needed at work !" Again we generally don't slow down or anything like that we almost always double check numbers and try to be polite but seems some of them just can't stand it.
I mean it's the same with just being in a good mood in general. I mean I've seen the cashiers get chewed on because they where smiling and "too cheery". Had one girl tell a guy that it was no problem they can replace his drill for no additional fee and he about exploded because she smiled too much as he said. Or when I walk buy and told one of them their hair looked nice (which made her smile ) and the lil heffier she was checking out told her she looked like a (This word is unacceptable on Trapperman).
Like I don't know what wrong with people. Is there some unwritten rule about how your supposed to be silent and depressed at work or somthing? Or do people just wanna make eveyone feel as bad as they do?
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 04:07 AM

Miserable people are miserable people. They hate themselves and life. Just like the good mood the bad is also contagious. I prefer the positive myself.
Posted By: 20scout

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 04:55 AM

Some people need to push others down so they can push themselves up I guess. There are people aren't happy unless their miserable.
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 04:58 AM

Haters gonna hate, don't let them harsh you mojo
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Haters gonna hate, don't let them harsh you mojo

Exactly
Posted By: waggler

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 05:39 AM

I wonder if extra grumpy people are a regional thing?
I've noticed that certain parts of the Country have different attitudes and mannerism. I even know of two neighboring towns that have different personalities. One of the towns (population about 2000) is the friendliest town with the most helpful people I've ever encountered, the next closest town Pop. 3000), about 40 miles away, is full of clannish stuck-up folks.
Posted By: waggler

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 05:45 AM

I just found a list of the "happiest" States, versus the least happy.

Hawaii ranked #1
Mississippi ranked #44
West Virginia ranked #50 as least happy.
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 05:49 AM

The last line of your post.

"Or do people just wanna make eveyone feel as bad as they do?"

Fixed it for you. smile

Just keep on being YOU, and let them stew in their own mess.

Charlie
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 07:34 AM

It's gotta suck to be them.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 11:28 AM

I love it when the person behind the county is cheerful. Or the waitress who actually talks to you jokes around and listens beyond just taking your order.. Adding that human touch makes you a better employee.
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by waggler
I wonder if extra grumpy people are a regional thing?
I've noticed that certain parts of the Country have different attitudes and mannerism. I even know of two neighboring towns that have different personalities. One of the towns (population about 2000) is the friendliest town with the most helpful people I've ever encountered, the next closest town Pop. 3000), about 40 miles away, is full of clannish stuck-up folks.

When we were travelling through the States a lot when the kids were young I remember thinking how sweet the servers were at restaurants in Georgia but how mean as nails folks were on the highway through Atlanta. Man that was a nice place to see in your rear view mirror.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 12:00 PM

The number #1 way to steal your joy;
Compare yourself to others.

WD,
In ministering to folks, I typically find it's not the day's circumstances that get people grumpy, it's what they compare themselves to that leads them to continual unhappiness.

You seem not to do that as often and that is healthy for your soul.

Blessings,
Mark
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 12:07 PM

With your skills, experience and work ethic why the heck are you working retail?
Posted By: Cragar

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 12:12 PM

Flipping the coin , I have personally found being extra nice while visiting the motor vehicle department helps you a lot. Most DMV employees are used to grumpy customers as things generally don't go very smoothly there for most as they are unaware of the process and knowable of having the proper paperwork filled out with their 'I's dotted and 'T's crossed.
Being nice there will make you one of the few smiling faces they deal with every day. Sometimes they may even bend the rules a tiny bit instead of acting like the 'Soup Nazi'
Posted By: WhiteTrash 88

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 12:30 PM

Most of them grumpy people ain't getting enough fiber in their diet.

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mark June
WD,
In ministering to folks, I typically find it's not the day's circumstances that get people grumpy, it's what they compare themselves to that leads them to continual unhappiness.
Blessings,
Mark

All that typing and FINALLY my neighbor posts something that makes sense
Posted By: run

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 01:14 PM

In virginia the grouch line follows the blue ridge mountains. East of the blue ridge the people are terrible. West of the blue ridge different story. I spend a fair bit of time in Page county.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Leftlane
Originally Posted by Mark June
WD,
Blessings,
Mark

All that typing and FINALLY my neighbor posts something that makes sense

I've been home treating traps LL. It always sets me on an even keel brother!

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 01:18 PM

Good times Brother Mark- good times
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 01:25 PM

Don't being satisfied and happy cause your brain to release some chemicals that help keep you from stroking out or a heart attack. Or is it just in ones body chemistry that causes one to be happy.
I gotta believe being happy is a learned process and is healthy, not that happy people don't die too, but atleast I'll die happy, lol. When one is a grouch he may die that way. And its the ones around them that are just happy they are gone!
Posted By: run

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 01:29 PM

Keep it up, wolf dog. I enjoy your threads.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 02:28 PM

If I were you... I would get your compatriots singing a few rounds of... "SOUND OFF" ... I would think that should liven things up.

Garry-
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by BadgerTrapper97
Misery loves company

X2
Posted By: SNIPERBBB

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 03:01 PM

I'd be kinda suspicious if someone is being happy that you're returning a busted product too. Sometimes service with a smile, we're using different definitions of service.

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 05:54 PM

There aren't many people alive who don't compare themselves with others. It's part of our nature and responsible for some of our successes and many of our failings. Anything left unchecked can become a negative force in our life.
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by white dog
There aren't many people alive who don't compare themselves with others. It's part of our nature and responsible for some of our successes and many of our failings. Anything left unchecked can become a negative force in our life.

Don’t compare yourself to others, compare yourself to what you were yesterday. Always try to be better than the day before. The only bad day was yesterday...today’s a new day. Yeah I twisted the words around a little, but you get the drift. Every day at the gym I push for one more rep, or set, or increase in weight. Every year I push for one more catch or more than last year. I don’t compare myself to y’all, I’m only as good as me, lol.
I’m with ya Wolfie, my boss has been called because I didn’t get upset when they told me off and what they think of my company. I just smiled and said, “Yeah I think of them that way too at times.” Some folks just like being miserable. You just do you and it’ll rub off.

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 06:55 PM

Not only do I get the drift but I also recognize that playing competitive sports had a role in getting there.
Posted By: rick brocious

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/20/20 07:49 PM

I remember one job I had that was so depressing that I decided to bring a little humor to lighten up the atmosphere . I started walking stiff armed like a mummy moaning and groaning . Needless to say I got fired . Funeral directors just have no since of humor .
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Customers hate it when ya happy - 11/21/20 02:28 AM

I just don't get it I guess, the whole making others miserable. Like when my depression is beating me like the coked out chimp it is the very last thing in my mind is "hay lemme go make this random persons day just as miserable" just plain don't compute
© 2024 Trapperman Forums