Home

Lost Job: How do I trap?

Posted By: TrapperLibrarian

Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:08 PM

Hey, all,

I lost my job on Wednesday. I'm going to have to go stay with my mother while I job hunt, who is a wonderful person, but is anti-trapping. She lives in an apartment in a fast-growing, wealthier area than the poor rural area I've been living in for the past year. The trapping season in North Carolina goes until February 28 and beaver trapping goes until March 31. I caught my first coon of the season on game land just before I lost my job. I want to keep trapping this season, but I am uncertain now of how to do it logistically. I may be able to find trapping opportunities on private land in the area I'm moving to, or else I can trap on the game lands in the area. But how am I going to put up fur? I can't do the fur handling in my mother's apartment like I could at my own house. The only solution I can see is, if I catch fur on game land, I could do the skinning at my trap sites or at a game land campground and maybe also the fleshing. I don't know how I'm going to put up the fur, unless I can rent some kind of storage shed or else convince my mother to let me use a spare room in the apartment.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. Thank you!

Kris
Posted By: Crit-R-Dun

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:10 PM

Respect your mother, get another job and become a keyboard trapper like the rest of us. It's not as expensive and way cleaner. grin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:11 PM

I'd give mom a hug of thanks and perhaps remind her that you are more important than the animals.
If she contributes to HSUS you're doomed and that idea is not going to work.
The animals will be more important to her than you.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:11 PM

get another job. dont move in with your mom. i suspect more to the story. no savings, no unemployment? so much work here right now the only people not working dont want to.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:13 PM

I respect her totally and if it wasn't for her, I'd be homeless and in really bad shape. I just want to find some kind of mutually respectful solution here. I know it is going to take a lot of discussion with her. Just want to see if anyone has any ideas/suggestions.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton
get another job. dont move in with your mom. i suspect more to the story. no savings, no unemployment? so much work here right now the only people not working dont want to.

That's really not your business. I have savings and the job market in my field (librarian) is in bad shape right now due to the pandemic. I've already applied to 4 librarian jobs that I qualify for and they're all that's out there right now; believe me, I've looked, and I'm still looking. So don't make assumptions about "the only people not working don't want to."
Posted By: corky

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:21 PM

It sounds like you are a beginning low volume trapper. Contact your State association to find other trappers near you. Contact them and see if you can work out an arrangement with someone. You may end up making friends and learning something. As far as using your mom's apartment, forget it.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:22 PM

Your job now, is finding a job. Once that is secured, worry about trapping again.
Posted By: Dana I

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:27 PM

Hate to tell you but I agree with danny. If you were that serious about finding work I'm sure there is something else besides librarian that you could do until you can find your preferred gig.
Posted By: trap-alaska

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:31 PM

Put this season on the shelf and spend time watching YouTube trapping videos and scouting new area. Spend some time with other trappers learning from them. Spend time with your Mom and be thankful she took you in. Make yourself more marketable and go find a job, even if it isn't in a library. Next year when you have a job and your own place you can go back after the fur.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by TrapperLibrarian
Originally Posted by danny clifton

That's really not your business. I have savings and the job market in my field (librarian) is in bad shape right now due to the pandemic. I've already applied to 4 librarian jobs that I qualify for and they're all that's out there right now; believe me, I've looked, and I'm still looking. So don't make assumptions about "the only people not working don't want to."

These types of threads are very predictable, you might want to make a run for it while you can.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dana I
Hate to tell you but I agree with danny. If you were that serious about finding work I'm sure there is something else besides librarian that you could do until you can find your preferred gig.

You're both entitled to your opinion. This thread is not about your opinion of how seriously you think I'm job hunting.
Posted By: OhioBoy

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:39 PM

Find a local fur buyer and sell on the carcus but if I were you I'd focus on getting a job, not trapping.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Crit-R-Dun

These types of threads are very predictable, you might want to make a run for it while you can.

Yes. You're right. I didn't know. I'll read this thread later, take the good advice, and figure things out. I'm sorry I posted this.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:43 PM

OK librarian I will add this caveat: People who are disabled are not working because they can't. Everybody else doesn't want to, in my part of the world.
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:45 PM

I don't understand why a job has to be only what you're qualified in. If it's crisis time, any job will do until the qualified job comes available. I just don't understand the mindset that it has to be only one kind of job or nothing.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:48 PM

Yes. You're right. I didn't know. I'll read this thread later, take the good advice, and figure things out. I'm sorry I posted this.

Don’t be sorry and don’t get bent that a couple folks suggested figuring out your priorities.

You’re worried the one that’s keeping you from being homeless isn’t going to like you trapping. My money would be on her questioning your priorities too.

Fix the flat and then go racing, you dig?

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Dobbins
I don't understand why a job has to be only what you're qualified in. If it's crisis time, any job will do until the qualified job comes available. I just don't understand the mindset that it has to be only one kind of job or nothing.

X2
Posted By: Paul Dobbins

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:52 PM

Reminds me of cousin Eddy on the Christmas Vacation movie who has been unemployed for years and years because he was holding out for a management position.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:55 PM

Millennials. "This is my profession and this is the amount of compensation I expect. Oh, and I'll expect a promotion in my first year."
Posted By: Osky

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 01:56 PM

There are very honest words from a song Trapper....
You can’t always get what you want, but if you try sometimes you just might find, you get what you need.

Life is going to throw adversity at you many times and each time it does it presents an equal and better opportunity.
I do not think there is a fellow or gal here who has not had to change course due to uncontrollable changes. Some are able to eventually get back to the original track while most move on and grow in knowledge and self accomplishment.
No matter how modern man thinks he has become, adaptation is still a necessity of life.

Osky

Trapper.... I’d add one more thing. Asking a question and particularly asking a question of solid long of the tooth people like this forum has, straighten up and grow some shoulders. Your going to get truth from experience here from most as it should be, not what you WANT to read. Being petty and sorry you asked is selfish and foolish.
If your big enough to ask, be big enough to hear the answers.
Posted By: fieldsy

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:08 PM

Humm ... post up your problems and then get upset when people tell you what they think....
I don't usually respond to this type of thread, but this one gripes me... Lost a job 2 days ago, and need to move out of your house already?? Might not be anyones business, but the first thought to me was you were not preparing for a rainy day when you were employed..
Do you need money or don't you? Im pretty sure trapping isn't the way to become rich any longer..
Im sure Walmart is looking for workers.. and pretty sure you could make more there in a day then running a public land trap line...
Forget the trap line..... Good luck.
Posted By: Flipper 56

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:12 PM

Back in the day I landed my first real job as a telephone repair man. It was right up my alley working outside in all kinds of weather climbing up poles and enjoying life. I had it all figured out, I thought if I went to work for a public utility, I would never have to worry about job security. Then the government stepped in with deregulation, things changed dramatically and after 10 years, I got laid off. I then became a phone guy that worked in a factory or machine shop or wherever I had to work to pay the bills. Back then fur was worth a lot more so whatever shift I was on, I was trapping whenever I could for some extra cash.

Now there is a very good chance if you trap it will cost you money in todays market. So now for most of us, it is a hobby or a passion and we do it for exercise and for our own enjoyment and part of our love of the outdoors. I knew that I would have to do a job I might not like for awhile but understood that was my only choice until someone retired or for some other reason there was another opening back at the phone company. Don't give up on your dreams as life changes, just modify as need be to stay afloat until you can get back on course. If you have to work somewhere else for a while it's no big deal, you might make new friends that have ground you can trap. You never know.

Good luck and I hope things work out for you.
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:23 PM

I don't think trying to put fur up in your mother's apartment is a good idea. Your going to have conflicts getting adjusted to living with each other without adding anything extra to the situation.

It's always easier to find a job when you already have a job, so everyone telling you to find a job is really giving you some good advice. Yes you might have to look outside your current field of work but sometimes that opens other doors.
Posted By: Michael Lippold

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:24 PM

Reminds me of cousin Eddy on the Christmas Vacation movie who has been unemployed for years and years because he was holding out for a management position.

Hey cousin Eddy was living the dream though, had home he could take anywhere he wanted, Clark bought Christmas presents for him and the kids, free dog food, heck I think he even got some free beer!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:25 PM

Tough to invest in times like this and learn a new hobby that will pay you a profit without paying your dues learning the ropes. I’d kick back at Mom’s until you get another job.

Trapping is a stinky business don’t see how it would work with moms outlook on trapping, you could be working your way to homeless.
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:29 PM

Librarians have skills that translate to other industries. When we were still in a state of recovery in 2010 we had 2 people that were librarians. They were like walking indexes. We used them to organize and file. We paid them the same as everyone else in operations. Once things picked up they moved on to their chosen field. I really respect your field.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:34 PM

Millennials. "This is my profession and this is the amount of compensation I expect. Oh, and I'll expect a promotion in my first year."

Exactly,

And - no one is playing by my rules.

Takes the ball and goes - home
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:43 PM

From a Dad...if you’ve got time and money to trap, hunt, or fish then you got time and money to find a job and your own place. Don’t get me wrong, I love my boys with all my heart, but they’re going to have to hit rock solid bottom before I bail them out. Life is tough no matter what age you are. Some of us have learned that the hard way and are passing along what we’ve had to deal with. So find a job, any job, and get back on your feet...then you can worry about trapping. Priorities man, priorities!
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:46 PM

And I’ll add this...start saving money. I don’t mean a pension and 401K. I mean a sock drawer money savings (cash) and a savings/checking account. Minimum of $5K each, then when hard times come you have a cushion to fall back on.
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:53 PM

Lost job, how do I trap? Well let me see, oh yeah!!! Ya don’t! Job, any job is priority 1. Then when you get your finances in order and are self sufficient you can indulge your hobbies and be picky about the type of work you do.
Sounds like the grow up bell rang and you want to ignore it. Good luck with that. Check back in with us in a decade and let us know how that worked for you.

PS; there is a kids forum on here that may have some solutions more to your liking. Paper route, clean stalls, feed the livestock, ya know? Like chores and stuff!!! cool

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Lost job, how do I trap? Well let me see, oh yeah!!! Ya don’t! Job, any job is priority 1. Then when you get your finances in order and are self sufficient you can indulge your hobbies and be picky about the type of work you do.
Sounds like the grow up bell rang and you want to ignore it. Good luck with that. Check back in with us in a decade and let us know how that worked for you.

PS; there is a kids forum on here that may have some solutions more to your liking. Paper route, clean stalls, feed the livestock, ya know? Like chores and stuff!!! cool

Could always get a wife that has 2 jobs...
Posted By: cmcf

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 03:13 PM

Moocher!!! laugh

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 03:17 PM

I have a feeling that a few of us may now be out of the running for the nicest guy on trapperman thread. That's ok I have been the nice guy my whole life, and it's often true when they say nice guys finish last.
Posted By: Gulo

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 03:18 PM

I'm curious. For your chosen profession, how much time have you invested in learning your skill? Does it take a 4-year college degree? Do you start out re-filing books in a library, then after a couple of years, when you've got the Dewey-Decimal system down pat, you move up the ladder? Is there something equivalent to the bar exam or certification or something that qualifies you as a "librarian". I'm not being snarky, just genuinely curious.

Thanks, and hope it all works out for you.

Jack
Posted By: Kart29

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 03:19 PM

I heard the United States Post Office is hiring everyone with a pulse - maybe even trained librarians. $30/hour and all the hours you can work. With a job like that I think you could afford to find your own place in an area where you can enjoy trapping and standing on your own two feet.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 03:21 PM

As said above find a job any job. Keep the money coming in and keep your head up. Nothing says you can’t be looking for a librarian position while working at the local gas station or fast food joint.
Posted By: Hoosier71

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 03:30 PM

I use this line all the time for just exactly this kind of situation.
Posted By: fishnhunts

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 03:56 PM

I would not drag anything into anyone's house that I'm staying in that they didn't approve of. If I had to go live with my folks and they didn't approve of my guns or something, I wouldn't move in with them. If I'm desperate enough, I would sell or store the guns away from them. Why don't you find a job that would accommodate your trapping hobby and get you out of the house while you are waiting for something to happen with the librarian gig? Lots of places are begging for people at $15/hour. Best Buy is hiring seasonal workers for that in my area now...part time! There is no way slinging coon grease in your mamma's home is ok, whether she endorses your trapping or not. Don't get so upset over the suggestion that people have to help yourself so you can get back to trapping, you're the one that asked!
Posted By: Boco

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 04:08 PM

1-While living in someone else's home-you have to live by their rules.
2-If you cannot abide by those rules-take any work available to get back on your feet.
3-Once you have an income,look for a place to live conducive to trapping/fur handling-ie-a place with a shed/garage you can use for skinning and fur handling.
4-continue to upgrade and look for a better job/ work in your field.
5-find a lonely old rich woman/sugar daddy.
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 04:15 PM

I turned my 2016 archery bow kill that was eaten by coyotes into a winter job, one thing I will say don't let others pick and chose your job or source of income if your heart is in it you can find a way or make it work, I now rent three abandon farm house areas "cheap" from more than willing landowners/ranchers one is even sub rented to out of state waterfowl hunters and another source of income although wrong time of year money gets deposited into my trapping account, I use them as skinning and camping areas my carcasses go on their bone piles, I have old school busses parked at each location with generator hook ups and homemade wood stoves... Good luck and never look back...
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 04:27 PM

I think you should trap for a living. Don't pay any attention to these guys. Move into a tent, live off the land, and eat beaver and raccoons. You don't need no stinking job!
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by PAskinner
I think you should trap for a living. Don't pay any attention to these guys. Move into a tent, live off the land, and eat beaver and raccoons. You don't need no stinking job!

Yea,,thats the spirit! At $3.80 average for green coon,,the money will start piling up in no time.And don't spend good money on some fancy tent,,when a tarp will do just fine.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 05:05 PM

Respect your mother, get another job and become a keyboard trapper like the rest of us. It's not as expensive and way cleaner. grin

Now that's funny, I don't care who ya are. Lol
Posted By: Knappett

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 05:08 PM

Walk into a construction job with a broom and start sweeping and picking up scraps, tell them you'll work cheap. Jobs a job and most sites like hiring on girls

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 05:21 PM

Sometimes it's like jumping in a tank of piranhas around here, lol.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 05:55 PM

She is gone, so much for all ears....LOL
Posted By: hippie

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Boco
1-While living in someone else's home-you have to live by their rules.
2-If you cannot abide by those rules-take any work available to get back on your feet.
3-Once you have an income,look for a place to live conducive to trapping/fur handling-ie-a place with a shed/garage you can use for skinning and fur handling.
4-continue to upgrade and look for a better job/ work in your field.
5-find a lonely old rich woman.

This.

Make Mom happy first so you have a roof over your head.
Take any job you can find until you find one in the field you want.
After that, worry about trapping.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 06:44 PM

Most of you seem to be under the impression that you are talking to a kid. SHE is 37. This was going to be her first year trapping.

You may also want to look up how much a reference librarian make. You might be surprised.

Kris, I would check and see if you could find a local trapper that would let you use their place. Or check and see if anyone would be willing to buy them from you.

Best of luck to you.
Posted By: ol' dad

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 06:53 PM

No sir, I didn't have any impression. Couldve been a kid, adult, man, woman, or ostrich. I tell them the same. Misaligned priorities.

I wish her luck and hope she finds what she's looking for.

Ol dad
Posted By: rex123

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 06:57 PM

Sometimes you can't find the kind of work you want but you need to take the work you find until you do.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 07:05 PM

#5. Boco!!!

Hahahaha!^^^

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 07:09 PM

Doesn't matter how much a reference librarian makes. What matters is what a out of work reference librarian makes. My advice is still the same.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 07:38 PM

^×2

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 07:39 PM

X3
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 08:09 PM

FWIW...

I am living with a relative who has stated in no uncertain terms that there will be no animal handling on her property. Also, it is a very "suburban" setting. I have not given up and am trying to find ways to accommodate, but I can tell you there are challenges.

So far, I have obtained a 7 cu ft. freezer which a friend (who lives 45 minutes away) has graciously allowed me to plug in in their shop. I have 1 beaver and 2 coon in there and it's nearly full LOL. I will be trapping beaver over the weekend and will deal with those challenges as they come.

Don't give up, if you love doing something, you should fight for it... at least a little bit. Ask a friend for some space and an electrical plug and get you a chest freezer. I have basically conceded that I will be trapping about 30% as often as normal for a year, BUT, I'll still be trapping.

You live in one of the greatest countries in the world with probably the greatest level of opportunity in terms of finding temporary employment to tide you over until work in your field becomes available. This requires that you do not fear change and you must be a rabid self promoter... but if you want to trap, it sounds like you'll have to make some special effort. It's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

I 100% agree with the above statements regarding respecting the rules of the homeowner, but I feel for you.

Good luck, whatever happens
Posted By: bodycount

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 08:17 PM

Don't worry, China Joe says he will take care of all Americans. Free this and free that. You won't need a job.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 08:40 PM

Any trappers welcome to keep a freezer at my place slydogx. As long as you keep away from my trapline lol
Posted By: slydogx

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 08:43 PM

That's pretty generous Knappett LOL... although I'm guessing you're a bit of a drive from Windsor
Posted By: Ave

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 08:48 PM

Personally, I bought a small, cheap chest freezer. Skin my catch in the field, roll them up, and freeze them.
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 08:53 PM

When I was 12 or so and out of school on summer break dad taught me a valuable lesson. We had been processing cattle all week and finally had them all done. Long days up at 5:30 and worked until dark. If I remember right it was a Saturday and I was thinking I might go fishing in the afternoon. After we ate lunch I asked dad if he had plans for me in the afternoon. He said he had a very important thing he need to teach my older brother and I over at the farm. I remember being disappointed to say the least and he could see that in my facial expressions. He told us it would only take a few hours and IF we listened to what he was going to show us. We and our future families would never ever go a day without a meal. When we got to the farm there was 3 shovels leaning up against the old feed mill.

He said “boys I know you have used a shovel but I’m going to show you the correct way to use one. The correct way will save your back and if it comes to it someday you need to know this. Somebody always needs shovel work done. Now grab one and let’s get to it”

I’ll never forget that lesson, and yes there is a correct way to run a shovel
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:00 PM

It does not have to be, I went from ranch foreman/manager for the last 20 years to a Mortgage Loan Officer this year. I still have all my own cattle and manage our own ranch, but am getting income from a totally different field of work that I have never been in. Neither one of these jobs are related to anything that I went to college for, but I have been in ranching my entire life. Its not impossible to find good jobs and good paying jobs out there today, you just have to broaden your outlook on what you are capable of.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:01 PM

I run a shovel my whole life.
Started off on the RR shovelling crushed rock and pit run gravel in summer and snow in winter.
If you're a Canuck you are pretty much born with a shovel in your hand for removing snow.
And yes there is a correct way to heave a heavy shovel full of wet snow all day long without ruining your back or having a heart attack.
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:09 PM

I run a shovel my whole life.
Started off on the RR shovelling crushed rock and pit run gravel in summer and snow in winter.
If you're a Canuck you are pretty much born with a shovel in your hand for removing snow.
And yes there is a correct way to heave a heavy shovel full of wet snow all day long without ruining your back or having a heart attack.

Some up that way make it in hockey. Hockey sticks are much lighter than shovels. laugh
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:15 PM

Get not just one job but two !

Trap later

You could always set some mouse traps at your mother's house
Posted By: archeryisking

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:17 PM

If I had to move back in with my mother after living on my own, the absolute last thing on my mind would be how to run my line. I’d be looking under rocks for jobs trying to get back out on my own. Some folks are too proud anymore.

I seem to recall during the economic downturn in 2008, fruit was rotting on the trees in the South. Several states (Georgia?) had employment programs that would have resulted in those who were recently laid off getting a salary for picking fruit. Benefits both the farmers and the job seekers. Seems the program failed as most of the recently jobless felt they were above picking fruit. I’d have been covered up in peaches.
Posted By: PAskinner

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY

Yea,,thats the spirit! At $3.80 average for green coon,,the money will start piling up in no time.And don't spend good money on some fancy tent,,when a tarp will do just fine.

Hey, as I always say if you are going to follow your dream, jump in with both feet! You don't really need much money if you ditch the vehicle, and modern amenities, like Toilet paper and toothpaste.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:37 PM

Heck just go beat up the mayor, get free room and board at the local klink, three squares a day and ask for work release to rid town of problem furbearers. Obviously apologize to the mayor or this plan will never work. Or work any job out there and get on your feet so you can trap again.
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 09:54 PM

Hahaha. Silly poster.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 10:52 PM

Probably a little irresponsible to paint all millenials with such a broad brush.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by BraskaYoter
Heck just go beat up the mayor, get free room and board at the local klink, three squares a day and ask for work release to rid town of problem furbearers. Obviously apologize to the mayor or this plan will never work. Or work any job out there and get on your feet so you can trap again.

I like this guy's thinking
Posted By: Savell

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 11:01 PM

.... stay in the government woods and live off what you trap ...just move your camp every 3 days and you’ll be fine
Posted By: Bob

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 11:02 PM

I moved too, don’t have a garage anymore. When I moved a bought a horse trailer for $1,000 cause it was cheaper than renting a uhaul, and that’s my fur shed this season. Hopefully by next season I’ll have my real fur shed built

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 11:25 PM

Hey, all,

I lost my job on Wednesday. I'm going to have to go stay with my mother while I job hunt, who is a wonderful person, but is anti-trapping. She lives in an apartment in a fast-growing, wealthier area than the poor rural area I've been living in for the past year. The trapping season in North Carolina goes until February 28 and beaver trapping goes until March 31. I caught my first coon of the season on game land just before I lost my job. I want to keep trapping this season, but I am uncertain now of how to do it logistically. I may be able to find trapping opportunities on private land in the area I'm moving to, or else I can trap on the game lands in the area. But how am I going to put up fur? I can't do the fur handling in my mother's apartment like I could at my own house. The only solution I can see is, if I catch fur on game land, I could do the skinning at my trap sites or at a game land campground and maybe also the fleshing. I don't know how I'm going to put up the fur, unless I can rent some kind of storage shed or else convince my mother to let me use a spare room in the apartment.

Kris

If you have a local buyer,,sell in the round.Or,,skin out on the line and sell in the grease.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/20/20 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by upstateNY
Hey, all,

Kris

If you have a local buyer,,sell in the round.Or,,skin out on the line and sell in the grease.

Pffft. Now you're going to be Mr. nice guy finding out the OP is a single 37 yr old gal with a $100,000 a yr career. grin

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:02 AM

Windsor! Your practically a yankee lol. And ya shoveling! Its incredible what a man can do with a shovel, when we ran a barge doing island septics my hands would be shaped to the handle of a shovel till I pretty much had to take it home with me

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:06 AM

Sometimes it's like jumping in a tank of piranhas around here, lol.

grin
Posted By: danvee

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:21 AM

I agree with Paul pick up and move to where there is work maybe learn a new trade it might be a blessing in disguise. Right now you are sure not going to make money trapping. I guess if you do sell to a local buyer, hook up with another trapper or live out of your truck camping and call it an adventure. I am guessing your single and no kids if so call that an opportunity and blessing, no one else to worry about and you can live anywhere. I am not making light of the covid situation or losing a job but America and people everywhere in this world have been through a lot worse. Keep going forward and be accepting that you might have to get tough for awhile. Always count the blessings you have especially if you have your health. Take care of the health or nothing else is possible best wishes and keep going. You did not say what kind of work you were in or looking for but someone on the site might be able to help you relocate with a job.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:24 AM

Critter_Dung,,I been "inspired" LOL smile P:S: Im happily married and my wife makes more than that.Also,we have kids not too much younger than her.
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:38 AM

grin
Posted By: Foxpaw

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:23 AM

This isn't an ideal time to be trying to trap when you have no job to support your habit. Believe I supported that habit with blackberry picking and grass mowing and others. But fur was actually worth something then and meeting ends was still hard. I can see with the covid maybe being outdoors til the vaccine comes out or it otherwise blows over would be a good thing. If you just live in town with no job and hangout every day, that is not good.

If you know any older trappers that just don't have the get up and go anymore maybe you could help him tote beaver or something just for the learning experience. Your not going to make anything anyway and if you are not working then you would be better off tagging along with a trapper or hunter than hanging out on a corner making nothing and getting into trouble. Just my two cents. Hopefully when spring gets here we will all be in a better mindset.
Posted By: rvsask

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:49 AM

Whatever happens, don’t put up fur in a dwelling.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by cmcf
Moocher!!! laugh

Please don’t knock us! It is a humble profession.
Posted By: DelawareRob

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:59 AM

We aren’t all bad. Some of the best employees I’ve had are baby boomers, and one that is a pain in my butt, but she is nice and tries her darndest.

But I’m a worthless millennial so there is that.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 02:04 AM

If yer living rent free while drawing unemployment hows bout renting a mini storage unit for putting up fur like others have done. Just make sure there’s power for a light.
Posted By: WHSKR

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 02:26 AM

We have all or almost all had to do whatever job there was. Personally I have scraped hog floors, picked pop bottles, aluminum cans, cut tobacco, hauled hay, chopped wood. Mowed grass, picked up wood chunks out of new ground, picked black berries, sweet corn the list is twice this long. I have never wanted for a job and not found work pretty fast. Not always what I preferred but I was willing to earn my own way.
There are so many ways to earn your way jobless is only a state of mind if your able to work there are many many jobs waiting for good honest workers. You might make a trade with another trapper to use his shed if you will pelt or flesh some for him in trade for the use of his shed.
Posted By: stinkypete

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 02:55 AM

This is not the place or sight to be looking for sympathy. 37. Can’t find a job? Please!! And when they here the truth they disappear. They get offended. I like most have worked.a lot of jobs that one didn’t care for. Those jobs are character builders. Make you work harder so some day you can get the heck out of that job to do better for yourself. I never drew unemployment. Never moved back home once I left. 3 yrs I lived in my truck. I was content and free. Best yrs of my young life.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by stinkypete
This is not the place or sight to be looking for sympathy. 37. Can’t find a job? Please!! And when they here the truth they disappear. They get offended. I like most have worked.a lot of jobs that one didn’t care for. Those jobs are character builders. Make you work harder so some day you can get the heck out of that job to do better for yourself. I never drew unemployment. Never moved back home once I left. 3 yrs I lived in A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER!!. I was content and free. Best yrs of my young life.

Fixed it for you!

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:26 PM

Lowes in Greensboro is hiring.
And my employer is looking for CSR’s. And our branch in High Point is looking for everything else

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:35 PM

and eat beaver and raccoons.

She’s already been doing this, from the time she started, last season.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 12:38 PM

You got bigger things to focus on than trapping. Get your affairs in order first, a job, get back on your feet, then the fun comes later. If you are able to work go find other work. Two part times make a full if you have to. Just get back to a good spot first then you can worry about the fun.
Jim
Posted By: run

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:20 PM

I actually like librarians and libraries too.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:36 PM

Me to.

But she got good advice here, whether she wants to hear it or not.

Get another job, any job, until she can get back on her feet and hopefully, eventually get a position in her chosen field again. Forget about trapping this year.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by run

Huh? Are there people who actually dislike librarians?

Maybe the odd psycho who got "shoooshed" a little too often.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by run

Shhhhh. Quiet!! crazy

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 01:55 PM

I see in her profile that she likes making mead. Maybe she could find work @ a brewery.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by stinkypete
This is not the place or sight to be looking for sympathy. 37. Can’t find a job? Please!! And when they here the truth they disappear. They get offended. I like most have worked.a lot of jobs that one didn’t care for. Those jobs are character builders. Make you work harder so some day you can get the heck out of that job to do better for yourself. I never drew unemployment. Never moved back home once I left. 3 yrs I lived in my truck. I was content and free. Best yrs of my young life.

After 3 years living in a truck was when you got your nickname I bet.
Posted By: bobsheedy

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/21/20 11:35 PM

2X
Posted By: Lufkin Trapper

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 02:46 AM

Sometimes you just don't get the answer you want, so you don't bother answering anything. This seems to be one of those times.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 03:08 AM

You likely have the qualifications necessary to be a substitute teacher , they can not get enough of them right now.

you might get tight with a school district that needs a librarian.

or at least be working till you find your type of library job again.

you might find someplace to trap , you can skin in the woods and you might find someone to let you store in their freezer till you can get to the buyer. fleshing and boarding will wait.

your likely to need a storage unit if you have stuff that people often have furniture and such I don't know if some have an outlet and you could move your freezer in to it
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by run

Huh? Are there people who actually dislike librarians?

Maybe the odd psycho who got "shoooshed" a little too often.

no but city council likes to cut budgets going through that right now here,

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 03:19 AM

Librarian,libertarians liberals-all no good libs.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 03:27 AM

Librarian,libertarians liberals-all no good libs.

Yup whistle
Posted By: KenaiKid

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 06:27 AM

I understand the disappointment of losing a job you thought was going to be your life career. Unfortunately it happens all too often lately. But you are only as limited as your perspective. Many, MANY successful, happy, prosperous professionals I know are "former" something else. Some are on their 3rd or 4th "career". And one of the most common things they tell me and others is "don't ever limit yourself to the things you've already done."

If being a librarian really all you want, it's what you love, you're willing to sacrifice for it and you have the means to hold out for it, then by all means, do what you're going to do. As you can tell, that's not what most of us would do, but it's certainly your right.

But I would simply venture the suggestion that you take this opportunity to look around a little, experiment a little, maybe research some other jobs that interest you. Is there anything you've ever thought would be fun to try? A trade or skill you'd like to learn? At least if you're living with your mom the financial pressure is off. It could be a unique opportunity to try things you wouldn't have been able to before.

Lastly, I strongly recommend finding a job to work, whether you stay with your mom or not. I'm a firm believer that daily, consistent productivity and earning (i.e. work) is vital to long-term mental and spiritual health. Good luck.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 06:52 AM

Kris, you could look for paid work at, or volunteer at a Nature Center. North Carolina has lots of nature centers and with your love of learning it seems like it may be a good fit. Typically nature centers have furs, skeletons and mounts and you could possibly prep display items for the center and use the prep area as a place to put up your own fur as well. You could also help organize their written, educational materials. Good luck.

Keith

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 07:06 AM

With real estate as hot as it is Title Companies might be looking for help to do title searches. Not exactly your field but a similar skillset.

Sorry I couldn't be more help like the other life coaches. Lol
Posted By: waggler

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 08:21 AM

^^^^^^
Now that is a great suggestion; or something similar; paralegal, research organizations, etc..
Posted By: riverratdm

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 01:52 PM

Im sure you could find something. Even working at McDonalds to get you by until you can get another librarian job. There is always someone looking for employees. Otherwise I would try and find a storage unit to rent to do skinning in. That or find another trapper to team up witb.
Posted By: snowy

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 01:59 PM

Trap while the sun shines, gigolo from dusk till dawn.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 02:15 PM

Some have a fear of librarians, always looking over their shoulder because of the book they never returned and now the late fees are in the hundreds of dollars, lol.
Posted By: Tailhunter

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 03:38 PM

It is easy to point a finger.
If you live in the bigger cities in NC, work seems to be easier to find.
In the country, NC has the suckiest economy in the union.
Full of people that will bleed if they need to turn loose of a nickel.
Nowadays you need a resume to apply for a job at a corner store, don’t let them see that you ever had a real job or made any money. They will hire a single toothed imbecile before they even give you an interview.

Don’t make fun of this woman too hard, she may actually be having a tuff go of things.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by Tailhunter
It is easy to point a finger.
If you live in the bigger cities in NC, work seems to be easier to find.
In the country, NC has the suckiest economy in the union.
Full of people that will bleed if they need to turn loose of a nickel.
Nowadays you need a resume to apply for a job at a corner store, don’t let them see that you ever had a real job or made any money. They will hire a single toothed imbecile before they even give you an interview.

Don’t make fun of this woman too hard, she may actually be having a tuff go of things.

X2.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 03:56 PM

You do what you gotta do.

If life was easy everybody would be good at it.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 04:05 PM

As a woman about your age, I agree with what all these guys on here are telling you. Forget about trapping until you get a job. I've found that some of the best jobs I've had, were ones I took that had nothing to do with my normal employment. If you've worked in your chosen field since college you may be scared of branching out and doing something different, but don't be. Being a librarian means you're well read and can use proper English, can work with the public and have good organization skills. That all ads up to someone most any employer would be willing to hire. Consider looking for jobs at places like museums, lawyers offices, newspapers, doctors offices, etc. But if it comes down to it, places like Lowes, Home Depot, and even Walmart pay a decent wage with full benefits for full time employees. If you're living with your mom with no bills you can save up ALL your money towards getting a new place, and may be able to do so before trapping season even closes for the year.

When I was young, I lost a job once. It was summer time, and rather than move in with my parents again, I chose to camp on public ground. I would take a bath in the lake in the morning, then get dressed, put on my makeup by the mirror in the truck, and go job hunting. I found a job within a week. Within 2 weeks after that I moved up to a management position and was making more than I had been at the job I lost. I still lived at the lake for a month or so until getting enough money for an apartment. It was kind of fun, but also made me definitely more appreciative of electricity and running water. lol.

Today is Monday. I have no doubt that you could have a job by Friday, if you set your mind to it.
Posted By: Squash

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 06:16 PM

Forget about trapping until you find a job. Unless you are going to eat what you trap, you will starve to death on the money you make trapping.
Posted By: bandy

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 06:34 PM

I went to school to be a taxidermist since I got out of school 25 years ago I have worked for a paving company, power line company, construction company, I have spent all day spreading bales of hay digging ditches I've roofed and probably a few other things I can't remember. I was never out of work unless I wanted to be no one on here is being hard on you they are trying to help you out and teach you life lesson. Don't get mad at these guy's for being on your side even though it doesn't sound like it. What part of NC are you from there are guys on here that can help you out.
Posted By: Jerry Jr.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by white dog

And they are all willing to answer a question that wasn't asked. Only a few have offered help with her question.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Jerry Jr.
Originally Posted by white dog

And they are all willing to answer a question that wasn't asked. Only a few have offered help with her question.

If you have a place to trap you have a place to skin. Put your fleshing beam in the vehicle and when you're done skinning, flesh it. If it's raining hang up the 8x10 blue tarp. Take it to the 5x10 storage unit, board it and dry it. Probably cost about $30 a month.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 07:28 PM

5-find a lonely old sugar daddy.

Like Boco
Posted By: SoDaker

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 08:00 PM

I really bet she is looking for more war stories of you guys picking berries 30 hours a day and your hands turning into shovels.

Find something you're good at, become wanted for said skill, worry about trapping later; it'll still be there when you're ready for it.

But I'm just a dumb #!& millennial, so take my word for what it's worth.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 09:55 PM

If there's one thing this thread has proven it's that millennials are very sensitive and their feelings apparently easily bruised.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 10:05 PM

If there's one thing this thread has proven it's that millennials are very sensitive and their feelings apparently easily bruised.

I usually see Boomers getting triggered far quicker than millennials, X'ers or Z's.
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by Pike River

I usually see Boomers getting triggered far quicker than millennials, X'ers or Z's.

The common denominator is libtardism
Posted By: Okie Farmer

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 10:10 PM

It's a tough crowd here some just can't handle it.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 10:17 PM

Spoken like a triggered millennial. laugh

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 11:18 PM

My bet would be that the Librarian will never seek advice here again, LOL

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/23/20 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

Replied like a triggered Boomer grin

(I'm Oregon Trail generation.... The bestest most awesomeness generation lol)
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 12:07 AM

Do librarians all have a silencer on their handguns???

When I was young I hated school. My Mother would say "do you want to be a garbage man when you grow up?" Guess what? I was a garbage man for my last 21 years and it was the best job I ever had.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 12:29 AM

Originally Posted by Gary Benson
Do librarians all have a silencer on their handguns???

When I was young I hated school. My Mother would say "do you want to be a garbage man when you grow up?" Guess what? I was a garbage man for my last 21 years and it was the best job I ever had.

Mine too. "$40 a week and all you can eat!"
Posted By: Wolfdog91

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 12:32 AM

Have you not seen how the boomers in here act when you say anything slightly negative about Trump?

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut

Replied like a triggered Boomer grin

(I'm Oregon Trail generation.... The bestest most awesomeness generation lol)

Ha! I still have a DVD of that game in my software storage. It was played by my kids, who are all millennials.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 12:38 AM

Legit OT's used floppy disks in computer lab because almost no one had home PCs

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 01:06 AM

A quick search shows it was first developed in 1971.

I think I probably have the third or fourth edition from around 2000.
Posted By: ebsurveyor

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 01:10 AM

Real OT's used punch cards on mainframes.
Posted By: yotetrapper30

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 01:17 AM

If you're old enough to remember playing OT on a 5.25 floppy, either you're not a Millennial or you were playing some real outdated games, lol.

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 01:27 AM

When I was in school NASA had a computer

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 11:08 AM

When I was in grade school, we all had to give a book report. We all went to the library for class and everyone had picked their book except me. I was still milling around looking at the books trying to pick one. The librarian came to me and handed me a "Where the Red Fern Grows" book and said I might like it. She was right, I gave my report on it. She knew me and read me like a book. I never knew nor understood her until the last few years and she has been dead longer than that. Probably now days a lib librarian would probably throw that book in the trash, for sure wouldn't recommend it to a kid.

I also had a couple of teachers that was pro outdoor types, that while they had other things to keep them occupied that never kept them from encouraging me the way I was. I think we ruin our own cause when we don't cut people some slack just because they don't wear the same clothes and have the exact same interest as ourselves. Surely we need a better attitude towards those people, as they are shaping the minds of the kids. Nothing ever changes, just the vehicle we use to get thru it. We are all on the fast train and if your not exactly like me, then you must be wrong and can't benefit my cause. What a lesson life is!

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Foxpaw
When I was in grade school, we all had to give a book report. We all went to the library for class and everyone had picked their book except me. I was still milling around looking at the books trying to pick one. The librarian came to me and handed me a "Where the Red Fern Grows" book and said I might like it. She was right, I gave my report on it. She knew me and read me like a book. I never knew nor understood her until the last few years and she has been dead longer than that. Probably now days a lib librarian would probably throw that book in the trash, for sure wouldn't recommend it to a kid.

I also had a couple of teachers that was pro outdoor types, that while they had other things to keep them occupied that never kept them from encouraging me the way I was. I think we ruin our own cause when we don't cut people some slack just because they don't wear the same clothes and have the exact same interest as ourselves. Surely we need a better attitude towards those people, as they are shaping the minds of the kids. Nothing ever changes, just the vehicle we use to get thru it. We are all on the fast train and if your not exactly like me, then you must be wrong and can't benefit my cause. What a lesson life is!

Well spoken.
Posted By: keystone

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 02:53 PM

You mention the word job to many times and people disappear!!

Re: Lost Job: How do I trap? - 11/24/20 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by keystone
You mention the word job to many times and people disappear!!

Mention the word "calling" and they disappear even faster, or maybe they can run but can't hide.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums