Home

NDFTA Fur Auction

Posted By: MJM

NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/21/20 03:54 AM

As of right now now we have two auctions scheduled. 15-16 January and 19-20 March. Between now and then that may change, but we have the building reserved in Bismarck. We are trying to get any one and everyone that plans on attending to contact the board before driving to Bismarck with fur, to make sure it is still a go. At this point it is a SWAG on what the sale numbers and prices will be. But is pretty safe to say it was the coyote sale of the year last year. Off the top of my head $130 average on 1300 coyotes and $205 average on 60 for the top lot. If you have any questions fire away.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nd native

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/21/20 05:49 AM

Thank you very much for posting!

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/22/20 04:26 PM

The fur is sold in trapper lots. The top lot winner brought in 60 coyotes, and they averaged $205.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/24/20 01:49 PM

I would guess some of the route buyers will be backing out this year. It will be a good chance to sell your fur and support the NDFTA.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/30/20 02:57 PM

If you have some fur to sell and get the chance, plain on showing up. There were a fair number of guys that wished they would have had all their fur on the January sale. You can put a asking price on it, so there is no reason to leave it home.
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/30/20 08:24 PM

Were the antlers sheds or skulls? Is there a decent buyer market attending for nice colored shed antlers? In your opinion will the traveling fur buyers offering prices be reflected in this sale? I keep hearing people at the cafe saying they sold $15 and 20 ND coyotes this year
Posted By: yotegtr

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/30/20 09:51 PM

Coyotes are cheaper no doubt, but selling at a sale where the buyers have competition is a whole different story than selling them on your tailgate. Chances are if you put your fur on the sale you wont be disappointed.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 11/30/20 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by RedeyeND
Were the antlers sheds or skulls? Is there a decent buyer market attending for nice colored shed antlers? In your opinion will the traveling fur buyers offering prices be reflected in this sale? I keep hearing people at the cafe saying they sold $15 and 20 ND coyotes this year

The antler was one shed it seems like. I am sure there are a lot of buyers that will pay $15-$20 for coyotes if you will sell them. I would guess they were on the round and had a big hole blown in them to start. There was just a post that coyotes in Canada are selling well. I copied and pasted this.

Converted to American dollars

2019 prices on coyotes

$130.25
$114.93
$99.61
$76.62
$38.31

This year

$115.46
$100.06
And so on
Early, pups and poor quality docked heavy
Castor is $76.97 a pound dried with no shells

Considering the state everything is in the prices aren't that bad. The prices are on western heavies but it gives you a little bit of an idea where the markets at.

Good luck to everyone trapping

Please feel free to post any prices you have heard,got or seen this year on any animal

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/04/20 09:47 PM

It looks like it was time to bump this back up.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/05/20 01:34 AM

Thanks
Posted By: coyotedoc

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/05/20 04:54 AM

Thanks!

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/10/20 12:59 AM

Back up to the top.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/10/20 01:53 AM

Time to quit trapping!

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/10/20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by cat daddy
Time to quit trapping!

You mean because its 08:53 PM and you go to bed at 09:00 PM?

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/18/20 08:49 PM

Back up for a reminder.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/21/20 04:15 PM

Coming in to the home stretch. Won't be long now.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/27/20 01:09 PM

Back to the top
Posted By: PaulB

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/27/20 02:11 PM

Iowa Trappers Association is having their annual fur sale January 7th at Boone, Iowa

We don’t have the quality coyotes you guys do but we do have some decent other furs,,I will post results on here if ok,,,good luck on your ND sale

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/27/20 04:44 PM

PaulB let us know how it goes. Good luck with the sale in IA.
Posted By: trapper les

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/27/20 04:47 PM

Interesting
Posted By: nate

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/27/20 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by PaulB
Iowa Trappers Association is having their annual fur sale January 7th at Boone, Iowa

We don’t have the quality coyotes you guys do but we do have some decent other furs,,I will post results on here if ok,,,good luck on your ND sale

PaulB
Do you have any results from last year? Can you sell green fur thier?
Posted By: PaulB

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 12/27/20 09:56 PM

Check iowatrapperstalk.com,,,there is an auction thread there,.,,I believe green fur can be sold

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/05/21 02:49 PM

A week and a half out at this point.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/05/21 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by MJM
A week and a half out at this point.

Did the board meet to discuss this at all to confirm it's going to happen still? I thought you had mentioned that previously.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/05/21 03:59 PM

I would guess we will have a conference on the 10th. But if it was cancelled as of now, I would like to think I would know. I will keep posting anything I hear as I do.
Posted By: bwilly

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/06/21 05:21 AM

Last spring the Burliegh County Commission closed down everything, for fear of what might happen. The 4-H. Building has been open for events all summer, with 1500+ cases a day. We the low numbers now, the odds of us being thrown out are slim to none. See you there on the 15@ 16th.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/06/21 02:36 PM

I had e-mail saying there will be a conference call the 10th at 1900. Good to here bwilly

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/08/21 03:27 AM

Well I plan on being there with my meager 13 coyotes, 4 fox and 4 coon.
Posted By: Nodak63

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/08/21 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by Nd native
Well I plan on being there with my meager 13 coyotes, 4 fox and 4 coon.

That’s about what I have and thought I was doing well!

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/11/21 02:56 AM

I just got off the conference call and the sale is a GO. We will start receiving fur at 1300 (that's one hour after 12:00 noon) on the 15th which is Friday. We will receive up until 2100 or 09:00 PM. Sat the 16th we will receive fur starting at 07:00-1100 and the Auction will Start at 01:00PM central time. We are reamending that anyone attending have a mask to wear while in the building.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/11/21 11:14 PM

BTTT
Posted By: Marty B

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/11/21 11:33 PM

How many furs consigned so far?
Posted By: lee steinmeyer

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/11/21 11:40 PM

Good luck on the sale this year, Mark. Gonna be interesting!

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/12/21 02:29 AM

Marty B We figure about 2000 coyotes. That is a fast count and add, of people we know are coming plus a few that we don't.
Thanks Lee, It will be good to have a coyote sale on the books.
Posted By: JAMIE-S.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/12/21 03:20 AM

Any word on which buyers are coming? Thanks

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/13/21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by JAMIE-S.

Ha Jamie, Hope all is well. I heard rumor that Dusty my be coming, but I have not spoke to him myself so I am not sure. Any idea about that?
Rick Mittlieder, Collen Cale, Monte Fur, Volk Fur, Johnson Fur Brent Kuss, Joe Jasik, Chris Lund and maybe a couple more we are waiting to here back from.
Posted By: JAMIE-S.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/13/21 03:12 AM

I think he is coming but not 1oo% sure. Everything is going in northern Mn.
Posted By: MChewk

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/13/21 11:53 AM

Ttt ...good luck with the sale...hope it goes smooth.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 12:12 AM

We have a good crew that works putting the sale on. But, we are always looking for help, and trying to recruit younger guys that don't need a walker to get across the building.
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 01:59 AM

But, we are always looking for help, and trying to recruit younger guys that don't need a walker to get across the building. [/quote]
Whats in it for me,me,me,me grin

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 02:39 AM

Originally Posted by bucksnbears
But, we are always looking for help, and trying to recruit younger guys that don't need a walker to get across the building.

Whats in it for me,me,me,me grin[/quote]
I think there may be some cold samaches, and you get to help sweep and mop after every one is gone. smile
Posted By: bucksnbears

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 02:51 AM

Sounds tempting smile
Just ONE more thing that'll make it better.
Are you bringing some....? wink

Hope all goes well. Coyotes need to do well.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 04:13 AM

What's the location for this in Bismarck? Like an address?
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 04:35 AM

Hope you guys knock it out of the park Mark, I was planning on making the trek with Dusty to attend but a family obligation has come up.

Maybe next year.
Posted By: Steven 49er

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by MJM
Originally Posted by JAMIE-S.

Ha Jamie, Hope all is well. I heard rumor that Dusty my be coming, but I have not spoke to him myself so I am not sure. Any idea about that?
Rick Mittlieder, Collen Cale, Monte Fur, Volk Fur, Johnson Fur Brent Kuss, Joe Jasik, Chris Lund and maybe a couple more we are waiting to here back from.

As of this morning Dusty told me he was going.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/14/21 06:05 PM

bucksnbears No home made beer at the sale, I think its in the association bylaws. I did have a batch of homemade Irish cream along last year. Nd native address is 3805 E Bismarck Expressway. It is just east of the ND Game and Fish building across the road. Just south of 5th Ave NE. Steven 49er Good to hear Dusty is going to make it. If you talk to in between tell him Leo, the beer drinking cowboy has not been to any sales, but maybe this year.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/15/21 02:01 PM

See you there. Don't be scared to ask if we need any help. It goes a lot easier on everyone if everyone pitches in. After all the sale is put on by the association, for the association, not by the board.
Posted By: BFP

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/16/21 12:28 AM

I just dropped my coyotes off. They have about 2300 and more coming in the door. It’s as good of collection of coyotes that I’ve seen in a long time.
Posted By: s^s

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/16/21 06:54 AM

i dropped my coyotes off today.. LOTS of coyotes there..

Attached picture _09A1619.JPG
Posted By: wissmiss

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/16/21 07:32 AM

Lots of good looking coyotes. Hope those sellers do well.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/16/21 02:19 PM

On our way to add a few more coyotes to the auction.

Attached picture 20210115_164810.jpg
Attached picture 20210115_161345.jpg
Posted By: HOUTS32

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/16/21 09:40 PM

Anyone heard anything?

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/16/21 09:50 PM

Not very good....quite a few no sales. The top lots were $90. Average well below that.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/17/21 12:27 AM

I would bet the average was around 65 dollars a coyote. Quite a few no sales on some large lots that were around 50 to 75 dollars. Was some real nice looking coyote lots and there just wasn't any motivation to purchase them. After a few large lot no sales things picked up in the middle to around 75 dollar average, but by the end it fell off pretty quick. Must have figured they had bought enough.

My other guesses are
Fox 10
Coon 6ish?
Rats $3
Badger - $15

I quit keeping track of prices at lot 80 and there was 120 some, which were all mainly coyote.
Posted By: Slick Pan

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/17/21 03:35 AM

How many buyers ?
Posted By: red mt

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/17/21 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Pan
How many buyers ?

8 buyers I believe

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/17/21 03:59 AM

The grade was very hard and prices dropped fast for the lower grades and semis. A fair number of people sold fur after the sale to the high bid buyer of their lot. We let that happen as long as we collected out 4%. Some of the "no sales" were due to fur owners, trappers having no clue where the coyote market really was. You could not fault the buyers for that. I predicated a $60-65 dollar average on the coyotes that sold a week ago tomorrow on the boards conference call. Which I am guessing was close. So some one that thought their coyotes were worth $100-130, just had no idea were the market was. There was little motivation for coyotes with neck lice and brush rubbed, lower end good. I handled 1000's of coyotes on this sale and have looked at more in a day then we had on the sale at times. I have a fair idea what they looked like. I feel we had a very successful sale and want to say Thanks to the buyers and people who had fur on the sale. Also thanks to everyone who helped by working to put on the sale. I will be surprised if this is not the coyote sale of the year again. I do not see a up swing in the market from what I hear. The days of $130 averages are dead and gone for now. I have sold plenty of coyotes for half what this sale averaged.
Yes eight buyers.
Posted By: Jtrapper

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/17/21 12:12 PM

Sounds like the otter market back when it got red hot and started to fall apart, trappers get use to certain high price's and when they start heading back down they feel someone is trying to rip them off.

Good luck finding help, we use to call ourself the STP crew, same ten people, lol.

Re: NDFTA Fur Auction - 01/17/21 01:51 PM

When fur is at an all time high, there is a much greater chance it will go down the keep going up. The price was down, but the tight grade dropped them as much as anything. Most people can pick a great coyote out from a bad one, but there are a lot of things that make them land in between the top and bottom. Some closer to the top than others. Last year the grade was pushed hard. This year it is real tight, as tight as I have ever seen it. I am told end users were not happy with the grade they were receiving. An adjustment was made. There was a lot of buyers trying to break even at the end of the year and that didn't happen to all them last year.
We had a lot of new help this year to go with our added volume. The board is grateful for that. We even had buyers shagging fur after they were loaded and could have been on the road.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums