Home

Lantern mantels

Posted By: adam m

Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 04:27 AM

Are becoming hard to find. I thought I'd never say that lol.
Walmart here stopped selling them a couple months back. Cabelas forget it, found some on sportsman's website for $3 for 2 with curbside pickup.
Amazon is charging $10 for 2 regular coleman mantels.
I used to be able to find them in grocery stores and most other sites that sold camping stuff.

Is there an alternative for mantels that can be used?
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 04:36 AM

Lehmans store is the place for gas lighting needs

https://www.lehmans.com/product/replacement-mantle-for-amish-table-lamp/
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 04:41 AM

Have ya tried Campmor ?
Or REI ?
Walmart shows them online so ya just order it shipped to local store!
Amazon shows plenty of places too.

I’m guessing ya didnt Google “Coleman lantern mantles”

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 05:16 AM

Gcp thanks.

Traprjohn don't have campmor here. The problem with online in my situation is risking not having them in time for my daughter's hunt. The local walmarts here stopped selling them. REI is shutdown. That's so strange Amazon is now showing a 4 pack for $2.84. Originally I searched on Amazon directly and the cheapest was $10 for a 2 pack. I'm tempted to order them but for the last several months if it's shipped usps the package usually comes a few days after the stated delivery date. USPS will scan it as delivered even though it hasn't been delivered. Then a few days later the package shows up. Can't risk it this week especially with Thanksgiving this week
Posted By: warrior

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 05:19 AM

Amazon prime is the way to go if you order alot off of amazon.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 05:25 AM

Campmor is mail order too but would probably 3 day Priority ship em.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 07:02 AM

i didnt realize they were so hard to get till about a month ago. found some in a small bait shop and bought them all.

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 07:03 AM

better stock up on lantern fuel as well
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by danny clifton

Since gas has been unleaded I have burned gasoline in my Coleman lanterns and stoves. Well over 20 years and never had a problem. Usually get highest octane they have with no ethanol. Try to burn first and last tank with Star Brite Startron enzyme fuel treatment before/after storing. Same with all my small engine stuff.
Posted By: run

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 03:11 PM

Check with your local amish community. I keep hearing about how they're moving west.

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 03:59 PM

Danny I'm glad I'm not the only one lol. Yup small propane tanks were scarce too. I bought 6 tanks (enough for this trip) which left about 12 on the shelf. I'm going to order the refill adapter. Walmart usually has a large area for propane but now only had 3 small shelves for them.

Trap set, how do you run regular gas in them? I'm intrigued.

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 04:08 PM

Adam, unleaded gas will only work for awhile then they get plugged up. Even stuff marked dual fuel. Use white gas only. If you add a fuel stabilizer to unleaded gas it works a lot longer. It will plug up after the stove or lantern has set for awhile. Just like the carb on a lawnmower. You can take everything apart and soak the parts in a carb cleaner. A good cleaner. hundred bucks a gallon or whatever. Not the spray can. lots easier to just not use unleaded gas. If you have to make sure you can burn it on white gas afterwards for a few hours.

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 04:09 PM

Only use unleaded that is sold as ethanol free also. ethanol is VERY corrosive, you will really have trouble.
Posted By: white17

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 04:21 PM

You might try ordering direct from Coleman. I have done that in the past when I needed parts. The show mantles so maybe it would be worth a try

https://www.coleman.com/lighting/lighting-parts

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 05:05 PM

That's good to know thanks
Posted By: white17

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 05:12 PM

Things may have changed but it doesn't hurt to ask
Posted By: mad_mike

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 05:19 PM

Why do you need a Coleman gas lantern? You should just get a solar powered one........
Posted By: Pike River

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 06:00 PM

I just use a headlamp.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 06:11 PM

Adam i really like the led lantern from Costco 20 bucks and d cell batteries. I get 1 or 2 years out of every set of batteries depends on if we use them at home for different things but they work great.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 08:31 PM

If worse comes to worse, there's plenty around here. Holler.
Posted By: jbyrd63

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 09:07 PM

Got 3 army lanterns they burn gas !!
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 09:22 PM

Walmart online 4 pack for $3
Posted By: strike2x

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 09:54 PM

Unleaded gas works just fine in a lantern.

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 10:22 PM

Nvwrangler, funny that you mention that. I just bought that one on Thursday for inside the tent. It is rechargeable and takes 4 D's as a back up. Figured I'd get it to make it easier for my daughter to get ready.

Thanks hippie.
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 10:36 PM

Ours don't recharge but a couple do charge phones and things. We have 5 or 6 and have a couple in the house for emergency outages. Only down side is no hiss of old style lanterns

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/21/20 11:39 PM

Yea this has a USB outlet too. It's crazy bright. You're right, no hiss or heat

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/22/20 12:56 PM

Walmart in Parsons KS must've had 50 gallon cans of coleman camp fuel. I bought 4. Should last me through any camping trips for awhile or ice storm no electricity for days.

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/22/20 02:31 PM

Awesome.
Posted By: Trapset

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/22/20 04:19 PM

Adam, unleaded gas will only work for awhile then they get plugged up. Even stuff marked dual fuel. Use white gas only. If you add a fuel stabilizer to unleaded gas it works a lot longer. It will plug up after the stove or lantern has set for awhile. Just like the carb on a lawnmower. You can take everything apart and soak the parts in a carb cleaner. A good cleaner. hundred bucks a gallon or whatever. Not the spray can. lots easier to just not use unleaded gas. If you have to make sure you can burn it on white gas afterwards for a few hours.

I haven’t bought white gas in over 20 years and I use Coleman stoves a lot I own 4-5 of them and prefer them to our electric stove for canning and fish fries. I think this helps keep the stoves fresh” as well. Sitting can kill em. I use the regular green lanterns from the 70’s and 80’s a lot too and haven’t ever run any white gas in some of them and I’ve never had one plug up. Maybe I’m just lucky, but I’ll take it!!

On a camping/fishing trip in Canada I accidentally only brought mixed gas for the old outboard. 40:1, ended up burning it in the stove and one lantern, other than bad smell they actually burned fine. Like I said, I must be lucky but never had a problem with unleaded.

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/22/20 06:40 PM

Had to cancel the order with sportsman's they were in stock but for some reason my order was being shipped and wouldn't be here in time. A Walmart in a nearby city had them in stock for pickup. So now it's a waiting game to see if they'll fulfill the order today.
Posted By: NebrCatMan

Re: Lantern mantels - 11/22/20 07:10 PM

Thanks for this post...... I have used gas lanterns for almost 50 years. And still have a few around. But with the advancement of batteries and L. E. D.s I hardly ever use a lantern anymore. That and I bought a light weight generator. Using L. E. D. bulbs you can light up the nite at camp or at home in emergencies for a long time on a gallon of gas. But I'll go ahead and stock up on mantels...... just because the old ways still are a great back up plan.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums