Home

Tagged out this evening

Posted By: Bigbuck

Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 01:22 AM

Well I shot a very big doe this evening at 4:05 she walked out onto the power lines at 320 yards away. I aimed for her front shoulder and squeezed off the shot. She bolted across the power lines, I walk to where I shot her and once again no darn blood or hair. So I start walking the direction she ran with my rifle ready. After slowly walking about 100 yards from where I shot her I stop and scanning the woods for a white belly. Nothing than I happen to look up the hill and 20 feet from me underneath a cedar tree there she was laying and looking at me so I finished her off with a neck shot. She field dressed at 140 lbs. making her one of my biggest does ever.

I shooting a 25-06 with Hornady SST bullets 117 gain and again no exit hole. The shoulder was once again jelly. So after this year I'm done with these SST ballistic tips and going back to Hornady InterLock bullets.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 01:27 AM

Congrats
Posted By: salemtrapper

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 01:28 AM

You want an exit hole, I switched to barnes tsx because of no exit with serrias out of a 270. They will have you an exit hole. Congrats that is a biggin
Posted By: wheelers

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 01:31 AM

Nice
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 01:36 AM

Might try 110 accubonds...if your gun likes'em you'll get a exit.
Posted By: Carolina Foxer

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 01:49 AM

I like the federal fusion bullets. Had a lot of sat and they are good for rib cage shots, but not much emse
Posted By: Wanna Be

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 01:53 AM

At 320 I don’t know of any ballistic tip that will exit with that caliber.
Posted By: Donnie H

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 02:26 AM

I bet a accubond will...
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 02:36 AM

Stop shooting the shoulder and hit the ribs
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 03:05 AM

WTG
Posted By: FairbanksLS

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 03:10 AM

Originally Posted by nvwrangler
Stop shooting the shoulder and hit the ribs

X2
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 03:23 AM

Top of Scapila ...folds them
Posted By: T-REV

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 04:16 AM

I shoot a 25-06 with Federal nosler 100 gr. Ballistic tips. Cant complain. Dropped 2 does this evening with no problems. Always have clean exit holes.
Posted By: jonesy

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 09:19 AM

you want an exit at 320 yds with a ballistic tip on a shoulder shot???? aint happening
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/22/20 10:49 AM

good eating there , congrats
Posted By: Leftlane

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/23/20 05:01 AM

She makes me hungry way to go
Posted By: wvmntnhick

Re: Tagged out this evening - 11/23/20 05:40 AM

At 320, the bullet has slowed enough that it shouldn’t just detonate like a lot of the SST bullets will do at closer ranges. Getting clear through on a shoulder shot might be an iffy proposition but not entirely impossible. When distance is concerned (and not that 320 is great distance), there’s a pile of factors that will determine overall performance. I’ve shot deer with a pile of different 25 caliber bullets over the years ranging from 70-120 grains. Pretty much settled on the 100 grain weights and haven’t a real reason to switch. Inside 200, most will just blow to pieces leaving no exit but leaving a very dead deer. Beyond that, the bullet will often times be found on the opposite side of the deer (when impacting a shoulder with a soft point) and it’ll run a short distance. Generally no more than 40 yards but blood trails are going to be sparse. I believe your transition back to the interlock is going to give you very similar results as to what you’re already getting based on the shot you described. The interlock and SST are essentially the same bullet with a plastic tip and no cannelure. Regardless, good luck in whatever you do and I hope that you find what you’re seeking.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums