Home

Stretching raccoon square

Posted By: Toby Like

Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 02:08 PM

A few years ago I "think" there was a post about putting up raccoon square. My search for that old post didn't turn up anything. In that thread it mentioned how you needed to make your opening cuts to achieve the "square" look. I do not believe it was as simple as a long ventral cut and then splitting the legs??? Can anyone point me in the right direction to that thread or any information on how to go about opening one up correctly?

My small, brown raccoons don't have any market value right now, so I'm looking to do some experimenting with them.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 03:24 PM

I believe that pic was posted last week search back to old pics might be a few posts with that thyme going.
Posted By: nyrat

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 06:30 PM

all the mediums and large coon i skin open like beaver and get hooped
Posted By: nyhuntfish

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by nyrat
all the mediums and large coon i skin open like beaver and get hooped

Really? Do you have any pictures? I am interested in making hoops for beaver somehow. I know Andrew Stanley youtube channel made some a few years ago but I would be interested in learning more. Thanks.
Posted By: wetdog

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by Toby Like
A few years ago I "think" there was a post about putting up raccoon square. My search for that old post didn't turn up anything. In that thread it mentioned how you needed to make your opening cuts to achieve the "square" look. I do not believe it was as simple as a long ventral cut and then splitting the legs??? Can anyone point me in the right direction to that thread or any information on how to go about opening one up correctly?

My small, brown raccoons don't have any market value right now, so I'm looking to do some experimenting with them.

I posted a thread on 3/10/19 where I did a square coon

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 09:56 PM

sold all that i had no pics wont be till spring before i start hooping coon again . need to use smaller coons or there will take to whole wall you going to hang it on

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 09:57 PM

sold all that i had no pics wont be till spring before i start hooping coon again . need to use smaller coons or there will take to whole wall you going to hang it on

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 10:01 PM

the best time to cut willow for hooping are months with no R in the spelling of the month
Posted By: pahunter

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/23/20 10:27 PM

go to the search button type in " how skin square coon " it was posted 2-25-19. it has a picture and how to instructions. Sorry i dont know how to post the link but this should help ya out !!!
Posted By: Toby Like

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/24/20 03:00 PM

pahunter - thank you

Wetdog - the coon in your picture is exactly what I want mine to look like.

Looks like it's time for a little trial and error
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/24/20 05:19 PM

I must be slow or something.......I typed in "how skin square coon " in the search......and said nothing like that could be found
Posted By: iaduckhntr

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/24/20 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by foxkidd44
I must be slow or something.......I typed in "how skin square coon " in the search......and said nothing like that could be found

I'v never seen a" square "coon skinned or not ! LOL
Dennis
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/24/20 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by iaduckhntr

I'v never seen a" square "coon skinned or not ! LOL
Dennis

It came up for me after a couple of tries but really has no info on the way coon were stretched back in the late 60's. The only pic of a square coon is posted by "Wet Dog". I put them up that way back then but do not recall any special opening cuts. As I recall we just spilt them up the belly like a beaver then spilt the legs out perpendicular from the belly cut.
Posted By: foxkidd44

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/25/20 02:26 PM

is this the post in question?

https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6473239/how-skin-coon-square
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: Stretching raccoon square - 11/25/20 05:17 PM

I believe so but this other post shows a better properly stretched square coon at the begining of the thread: https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6487281/re-square-coon#Post6487281
© 2024 Trapperman Forums