Home

Green mountain grills

Posted By: Bob_Iowa

Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 12:37 AM

I have the opportunity to get a green mounain grill Daniel Boone prime and wondered what peoples thoughts were on here? I’m used to an old Mecco smoker where I have to baby it but I’m pretty good at it, my main concern is I need to smoke around 170 and maintian a higher level of smoke and not sure if they can do that, and how hard are they to maintain.
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 12:41 AM

have one, love it. Cook on it several times a week, its about 5yrs old with no issues

they down to 150F and only require some vacuuming out now and then
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 12:58 AM

I opened this thread because I thought the title was Green Mountain Girls.

Never mind...
Posted By: Gary Benson

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
I opened this thread because I thought the title was Green Mountain Girls.

Never mind...

Grills Gone Wild!
The guys with money have them around here so they must be good.

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 01:08 AM

Green Egg grills are the popular high-end grill around here.
Posted By: MJM

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 01:21 AM

From what I have seen of pellet grills they do not smoke at a high level. They are designed to burn pellets with forced air. Not really any different than a corn or pellet heater. It may run at the temperature you want, but its not like they smoke much. Burning pellets do not smoke much, smoldering pellets do. When you turn the grill on a fan will start running and a probe will heat up to the point of lighting the pellets that are trickled into a burn pot. While the pellets are burning there is a fan running full time to the point they are flaming. It runs like a miniature forage. If you turn the heat up the auger runs more pellets into the pot and the fan blowing on the burning pellets lights the new ones. When mine first lights it puts out heavy smoke until the pellets get light good. It is a Z grill brand, but they all operate the same.

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 01:39 AM

Thanks for the replies the lack of smoke is a concern so I will have to think harder about this anymore opinions are greatly welcome. Just to keep Gary and Lugnut happy here’s a picture of what they want.

[Linked Image]

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 01:48 AM

thank you. smile
Posted By: trappinia

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 01:55 AM

I have one and we love it , if you want more smoke just close the damper and it gets less air . They get great smoke flavor and you can also use it as a grill , temp range from 150 to 450 .
Posted By: JoMiBru

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 02:41 AM

I have the Daniel Boone GMG as well. 4 years no problems, use a shop vac to vacuum it out every now and then. I’ve smoked deer shoulders, Boston butts, ribs, ducks, geese, rockfish, wild turkey, summer sausage, etc. I love it, it’s simple to use, and maintains temp really good.

Use quality pellets and keep it dry/covered. I would recommend GMG.

John
Posted By: nvwrangler

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 03:14 AM

Get a smoke tube and you can cold smoke even
Posted By: Larry Hall

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/24/20 02:41 PM

I've had a GMG Daniel Boone for about 4 years...Hard product to beat in my opinion.

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/25/20 12:38 AM

Sounds like maintenance wise its should be pretty fool proof, I would keep it in a shed as I do now with my smoker to prevent wind from bothering it, I’ve kind of been interested in cold smoking a specially cheese.
Posted By: cat daddy

Re: Green mountain grills - 11/25/20 01:54 AM

I have a hutterite buddy who loves his green mtn.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums