Home

Mice

Posted By: nimzy

Mice - 11/25/20 12:11 PM

Any good strategies for controlling mice around buildings and equipment?
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 12:42 PM

It might not be a popular choice but a couple of outside house cats are about the most effective method of controlling mice and rats on a farm or rural property.

We keep three or four neutered females at all times. We feed them but not enough to make them fat and lazy. They are very effective.

Mice at camp has always been a huge pain in the arse. I hate the little vermin. It's nothing to catch 10-20 mice (cabin and sheds) in a week's stay A few years ago a couple of feral cats showed up and the mouse problem went away. I'd feed them when I was up, just to keep them around. I was loving it.

After about two years the cats disappeared and the mice came back. I found out later that the landowner in the valley below me shot both of them.
Posted By: MySide 🦝

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 12:54 PM

12 Gauge, with 3 1/2" BB Loads.... have fun.
Posted By: scrapper

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 01:01 PM

Repeating mouse trap made out of 5 gallon bucket. Works great.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 02:20 PM

Buy 1/2 a gross of mouse traps and make your own sweet mouse bait.
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by MySide 🦝
12 Gauge, with 3 1/2" BB Loads.... have fun.

grin
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Lugnut
It might not be a popular choice but a couple of outside house cats are about the most effective method of controlling mice and rats on a farm or rural property.

I agree with the Lug, since we adopted a pr of fixed cats at our place, very few rodents AND thus, very few snakes looking for a meal.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by scrapper
Repeating mouse trap made out of 5 gallon bucket. Works great.

this is great for bait makers especially......Google search will bring up a bunch
Posted By: Trapper7

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 04:58 PM

At my home, I have a cat who is a great mouser. My neighbors have two cats that I put out cat food for so they hang around too. Between the 3 of them, we are pretty much mouse-free.

At the lake I use mouse traps baited with peanut butter and I put out Tom Cat blocks in those animal proof feeders.
Posted By: the Blak Spot

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 05:20 PM

My son used to snare em with dental floss
Posted By: Yukon John

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by the Blak Spot
My son used to snare em with dental floss

That is AWESOME! LOL
Posted By: headache73

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 06:35 PM

I was in my shop last night and saw a big one running across a rafter. I'm gonna have to get something, but it ain't gonna be a cat.......
Posted By: Eagleye

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 08:29 PM

A 5 gallon bucket with RV anti freeze in the bottom works best for multiple catches, an 8 ounce can on a dowel dumps them in. If you want to have some fun build a Mascall Mouse Trap, I built this one and it worked well.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: AntiGov

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 08:30 PM

They don't make it very far from the stash

[Linked Image]
Posted By: patrapperbuster

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 08:34 PM

What SCRAPPER said. They also sell repeating mice traps. You'll want to check at least once a week though.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by traprjohn
Originally Posted by Lugnut

I agree with the Lug, since we adopted a pr of fixed cats at our place, very few rodents AND thus, very few snakes looking for a meal.

If you have a lot of feed in barns, like we do, having cats makes great sense. When I bought my farm, I removed all the cats on my property. I had lots of issues with mice, starlings and sparrows eating feed and pooping in my barns and robins building nests in my barns, resulting in rotten babies on the floor and more poop. We had 1 cat show up that one of my dogs started feeding. That one cat saved me money on vermin eaten and soiled feed and time cleaning up poop. We now have slightly to many cats. Get the cats fixed if you go that route.

In areas we don't let the cats in, because of the smaller birds I raise, I use traps and poison. The Tin Cat traps and similar repeating knock offs work well too. I sold thousands of mice I caught in them so far. Jaguar has been the most effective poison I have used in areas the cats can't get into. I change poisons occasionally.

Keith
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 09:11 PM

If you need a cat to catch mice what kind of trapper does that make you guys? LMAO. JK
confused confused

Re: Mice - 11/25/20 10:24 PM

LOL

I catch them at camp Law Dog. I got about fifteen frozen in a Ziploc bag from my last trip up.

Re: Mice - 11/27/20 03:11 PM

My granddaughter just discovered this pile of mice behind a bench seat on a side porch of one of my sheds. The cats are earning their food!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hern

Re: Mice - 11/27/20 10:13 PM

Neat find.
Our cat leaves 'em at the back door.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Mice - 11/28/20 12:25 AM

Nice Kitty
Posted By: RedIShedND

Re: Mice - 11/29/20 10:03 PM

We use lots of the pouches sold at our local John Deere dealer called "Fresh Cab" or Botanical Rodent Repellent its actually Balsam Oil a natural pesticide
© 2024 Trapperman Forums