Home

Anyone own a

Posted By: Getting There

Anyone own a - 11/26/20 02:50 AM

Heritage 22 LR revolver? What do you think of them.?
Posted By: chas3457

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 02:55 AM

If you can find one, I'd go with a Ruger Wrangler. A lot better gun at nearly the same price.

Charlie
Posted By: BBarnes

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by Getting There
Heritage 22 LR revolver? What do you think of them.?

I’ve carried one on my trap line for years. Never had any issues with it and it’s been through a lot.

IMO
B
Posted By: Nelly

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:01 AM

I'm not impressed with the sights.
You can usually hit the head inside a cage trap.
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:08 AM

I like mine. Plenty accurate for what I use it for.
Posted By: beartooth trapr

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:14 AM

I like mine , very dependable gun.
Posted By: danny clifton

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:19 AM

i completely wore one out after about 5 years of hard use. bullets were keyholing and often it wouldnt fire. sent it back and the company repaired it. i had to pay for those repairs. after i got it back i sold it
Posted By: Tom cat

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:21 AM

I've got 2. A long rifle, and a mag. Never any trouble with either.
Posted By: BraskaYoter

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:25 AM

Had one in pickup for last 8 years, never think much about it until I need it and it has never failed me. Been cleaned maybe twice in eight years, once when firing pin was not fully contacting the case. Lil oil and a brush and we were back in action. Mine is also very accurate, actually my most accurate.22 pistol.

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by loosegoose
I like mine. Plenty accurate for what I use it for.

Exactly, launch lead at contact range.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:30 AM

Junk except up close no accuracy but the biggest issue is a lot of them shave lead going down the tube the timing or alignment of the barrel and cylinder on a lot of them are bad

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:36 AM

The sights are horrible, but if you are shooting when the sights don't matter you will be fine.

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:39 AM

In other words, a hole in the skull is easier to skin than a crushed skull.
Posted By: grisseldog

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:40 AM

I like Ruger
Going on 35 years with this pistol 22lr, 22mag cylinders
Best 169.00 Iv spent on a pistol
Posted By: 1lessdog

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 04:12 AM

I have a Heritage 6.5 inch barrel. Shot it maybe 25 rds. I would get rid of it if someone was looking for one.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 04:57 AM

I have carried a heritage rough rider on the line for 17 years. Never fails, plenty accurate and can’t beat the price. The one I carry now I can hit a Copenhagen can at 35 yards pretty consistently. The price tag keeps you from cringing when it gets scratched up and banged around as things do on a trapline
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 01:51 PM

I have 2, one with a 6 1/2 inch barrel with Tru Glo adjustable sights. I have been killing rabbits with it for several years now. Never one problem at all. I think my longest rabbit kill was 30 yards. Remember a lot of negative replies are recycled. The other Rough Rider is a dispatch gun, with a compact Birds head grip and shorter barrel. They sell a heck of a lot of the Rough Riders, and they been making them a long time. So popular, Ruger had to try and make one at a similar low price point. The Ruger seems nice but the Rough Rider feels better.
Posted By: Feedinggrounds

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by danvee
Junk except up close no accuracy but the biggest issue is a lot of them shave lead going down the tube the timing or alignment of the barrel and cylinder on a lot of them are bad

Did you own a lot of them? Or is that what you heard or read somewhere?
Posted By: loosegoose

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 01:58 PM

I don't have any complaints about accuracy with mine like other people seem to. It's mostly used from less than 3 feet away, but I can ring a 6" steel plate from 25 paces with it every time if I try.
Posted By: Actor

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 02:04 PM

I've been using one (a Heritage) for 12 years... I think it is a 5.3/4" barrel. When shooting an animal (coon) in a live trap, I use CB Caps, coyote, I use longs. Does the job. Cost when I got it was $99.00. I see they are on sale now for $119, at Rural King. The comparable Ruger is $149. The front site does leave a lot to be desired, but not using it for long range shooting. Have shot several Yotes at about 10 to 15 feet with one shot. So, if an old man can shoot it without problem, so can most of you. Would recommend taking it out shooting before needing to use it so you know what it will do.

Garry-
Posted By: Savell

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 02:08 PM

I had one.... it’s in an evidence room at the moment though lol
Posted By: Providence Farm

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 02:15 PM

My cousin had one when we were kids. Bullets were available and cheap and we completely wore it out. The smith could only fix it so many times timing it . It keep getting more frequent for its trips to the shop. I think it was given or thrown away.

In the other hand the ruger never went to the shop and still in use 20 years later.

For the price point they are a fine close range .22 you won't loose any sleep over if its lost or stolen. Depending on intended use they are fine. Just keep in mind your not getting something that will withstand heavy use and get passed down.

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Providence Farm
My cousin had one when we were kids. Bullets were available and cheap and we completely wore it out. The smith could only fix it so many times timing it . It keep getting more frequent for its trips to the shop. I think it was given or thrown away.

In the other hand the ruger never went to the shop and still in use 20 years later.

For the price point they are a fine close range .22 you won't loose any sleep over if its lost or stolen. Depending on intended use they are fine. Just keep in mind your not getting something that will withstand heavy use and get passed down.

What do you consider heavy use?
Posted By: Yes sir

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 03:55 PM

Mine keyhole except on higher velocity ammo. Accuracy is terrible on most ammo beyond about 3 feet
Posted By: Ave

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 04:04 PM

I’ve beat mine up, I’ve had it for probably 6 or 7 years, and it always shoots when I need it to. Very dependable. And can take a beating. That being said, I believe the new ones are about the same price as a ruger wrangler on discount, in which case I would for sure buy a wrangler.
Posted By: trapdog1

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by chas3457
If you can find one, I'd go with a Ruger Wrangler. A lot better gun at nearly the same price.

Charlie

I agree. I own both, and much prefer the Wrangler.

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 05:22 PM

I paid $116.00 with tax for the Heritage Rough Rider 6 shot LR. I was looking up the Ruger and it was $250.00 plus. But we know there are sales etc.
Thanks for all the good input. Will give it a try and let you know how I like it. I will be shooting some bulk Rem. bulk and some CCI stingers. We all know 22 LR bulk ammo is not the ammo to judge you fire arm's by. LOL
Posted By: Blaine County

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 05:31 PM

I've never shot mine more than 3 feet but it has always worked fine.
Posted By: hippie

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 05:47 PM

I wanted a cheap gun to carry in the boat, knowing it was going to have a ruff life for dispatching coon.
They're not pretty or real accurate, but are fine if this is the use for it.
Posted By: Bob

Re: Anyone own a - 11/26/20 06:52 PM

I must have got real lucky with mine, they’re as accurate as I can be. If I miss with my heritage it’s on me. I’ve got three of em, all as accurate as any other pistol I’ve got
Posted By: grayfox54

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 01:59 AM

Originally Posted by danvee

Sounds like mine can’t hit the broad side of a barn with it

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 02:15 AM

We will see tomorrow, I am going to shoot mine for the first time. Stay tune for the rest of the story. LOL
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 02:42 AM

I got one this summer. $119 ...can’t beat it for a dispatch gun.
Posted By: Dirty D

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 05:45 AM

I prefer a S&W

My rabbit hunting gun

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 05:53 AM

Heritage is heavy like carrying a brick on your hip, slow loading, and only holds 6 rds. POS. Couldn't get rid of mine fast enough.

IMO a good dispatch gun has at least 9 rounds and fold out cylinder for loading and doesn't weigh 5lbs.
Posted By: danvee

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 05:59 AM

Ruger bearcat
Posted By: one toe

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 10:56 AM

I bought one for the trapline. It shot to the right as Hickcock45 (youtube) says many do. I bought a good gold leaf paint like they use for sign lettering. I placed a fine gold line on the very right edge of the front sight which causes me to move the muzzle to the left when sighting. Bingo! The 22mag cylinder I have to be careful with. If I pull slowly back on the hammer, the cylinder will not line up absolutely perfect with the bore. If I pull the hammer back hard, it lines up nicely.
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 12:09 PM

Ruger wranglers on sale in some area ads here, very reasonably priced at $199.
Jim
Posted By: snowy

Re: Anyone own a - 11/27/20 01:34 PM

I have had one for many years and have never had an issue. Gets dragged around all year long and always gets the job done. After saying that I'm one that doesn't have to have to best or finest item on the market to make me happy. It gets the job done just like the rest of the pistols mentioned so my thinking why spend big money on something that get abused like mine does.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums