Home

Walking the river banks - lures

Posted By: Green Bay

Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 12:00 PM

I have two rivers close to my house in downtown Green Bay - the Fox and East rivers. Both have good walking trails that I regularly walk to get some exercise. The Fox is a world class walleye river because fish from Green Bay come up to spawn. There is some speculation that the next world record walleye will come from here. With all the great fishing there are times when the river is packed with fisherman - particularly in the spring during the spawn and again in the fall for a smaller migration. People lose a lot of baits and if they are floating crankbaits eventually they will break free or the hooks will rust. I frequently find them when out walking especially if I am hunting for them.

Yesterday, I found seven stickbaits and some other assorted lures. I clean them up over the winter and give them away at a fishing derby to the kids. Lures that have been in the water too long and are unrepairable are used for casting practice or get put on my Christmas tree.

Posted as an idea to help pass the time while getting some exercise.

The picture represents some of the lures found this year. [Linked Image]
Posted By: jabNE

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 12:03 PM

Nice work!
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 12:12 PM

Lost many myself only to find them walking the shoreline on low tide months later. How do I know they are mine? I make them and paint them myself. lol

Nothing fancy just a painted stick with an eye and some hooks.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pawnee

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 12:17 PM

Green Bay, thats pretty neat. I have a nephew that walks the dam at a lake. It’s amazing the number of lures he finds. Love the idea of giving them to kids.
Posted By: Getting There

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 02:37 PM

WTG, bait are not cheap anymore.
Posted By: traprjohn

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 06:51 PM

We used to use a canoe and get loads along the Potomac and it's feeder creeks.
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 06:59 PM

Yep, when living in TN. I always looked forward to the CORPS to start the fall pull down of Lake Barkley and KY. Lake. (5 FT) Spent several weekends in the boat looking for and finding many lures and tackle. When the lakes dropped enough we would find miles and miles of bait lines that had been left. Figured I had lost enough myself to make it worthwhile.

this year I got hung up at a local lake. Used my retriever to get my lure back and when I did there was another attached to it. Deep diving Crank baits. Best catch I made that day.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 07:01 PM

Nice.
Posted By: TurkeyWrangler

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/29/20 08:54 PM

When we were teenagers we would swim along the river banks at popular fishing spots. Lots of old snags in the water. We would find the line and follow it back to where it was hooked up. At the end of the day our pile would look more like the group of stuff on the left in the op's picture though.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 12/05/20 07:21 PM

A great morning out looking for lures. The water was down about a foot and no wind after several days of being windy. [Linked Image]
Posted By: 330-Trapper

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 12/06/20 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Green Bay
A great morning out looking for lures. The water was down about a foot and no wind after several days of being windy. [Linked Image]

Wow
Posted By: Bigbrownie

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 12/06/20 12:19 AM

I was beaver trapping at Moraine State Park a few years ago. While in an inlet on the east end of the lake, I gathered up about 50 bobbers that were beached when they drew down the lake for the winter.

When I fish Pymatuning, it’s not unusual for my buddy and I to lose 20 slip bobbers a day to bottom snags. We recover some...the Amish snatch up a few....the rest have to end up in a eastern cove somewhere.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/06/21 10:49 PM

[Linked Image]

Went down to the river to get some jigs for fishing later this summer. A good day to gather in the crop. Ended up with 95 jigs, a Mepps Spinner, and a crank bait.
Posted By: DWC

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/06/21 10:54 PM

There seems to be a theme with what kind of jig/plastics are used. Or the same guy found a ton of snags.
Posted By: Law Dog

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/06/21 11:04 PM

Nice haul.
Posted By: HobbieTrapper

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/06/21 11:19 PM

Those look like first or second cast hangers. I would put a trail cam on the opposite bank and get some footage of people losing their minds. lol
Posted By: Turd Furgeson

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/06/21 11:34 PM

Had a buddy that lived on a popular fishing lake, he sunk a burnt bed box spring in between a couple stumps sticking up where everyone casts, attached a cable on a crank on the bank and cleaned up. Kind of a jerk move, but effective.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/06/21 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Turd Furgeson
Had a buddy that lived on a popular fishing lake, he sunk a burnt bed box spring in between a couple stumps sticking up where everyone casts, attached a cable on a crank on the bank and cleaned up. Kind of a jerk move, but effective.

I'd lump up somebody doing that!
Posted By: Lugnut

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 12:12 AM

I used to walk the shores of Blue Marsh Lake in southeast Pennsylvania years ago during the annual drawdown months and found many dozens of crank baits. Now I walk the shores of Lake Hopatcong in northern New Jersey and find many more. Bomber Long A’s seem to be very popular on that lake, they are about 70% of what I find. Most of them are like new but I bought various size treble hooks and split rings to swap out the rusty ones.

Here’s what I found last year:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: rszwieg

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 12:34 AM

Originally Posted by Turtledale

I'd lump up somebody doing that!

Some tool did that at a popular spot below a dam here. He was never caught but if he was things wouldn't go well for him.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 12:40 AM

Dang that's low.
Posted By: upstateNY

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 12:56 AM

Yup.Thats about a three day haul for me here on the river during salmon running time.
Posted By: Buck (Zandra)

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 04:40 AM

Who even thinks of doing that?Wow!

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 02:11 PM

Loads of Rapalas there
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 04:36 PM

Buddy of mine used to motor along close to shore in fall right after most leaves are down.. Carried a pole with one them limb clippers. Was amazing how many baits he cut out of trees just high enough couldn't reach them by hand. I like to go on the lake early in the morning cruse the shore line look for any odd color on shore. Pick up baits doing that.

Mac
Posted By: The Beav

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 05:01 PM

My daughter was involved In some eagle studies. You can't imaging all the fishing lures she found In those nests.

When we were kids we sunk old bed springs In fishing hot spots. You have no Idea how many lures we collected and sold back to anglers.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/07/21 05:03 PM

Nice haul.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 07/17/21 04:23 PM

[Linked Image]

Still finding a few. Seems like I find about three per outing lately.
Posted By: AJE

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 07/18/21 05:20 AM

Nice thread Green Bay
Posted By: Trapper Dahlgren

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 07/18/21 09:13 AM

lots of money if you had to buy them , smile
Posted By: Macthediver

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 07/18/21 11:53 AM

Friend sent me this video the other day because he knew I used to pick lures. Makes me want get back in river again haven't done it now seriously for many years. Before everyone went to just using trolling motors keep their boats in place. Knew few spots guy could dive pick a dozen nice anchors or so ever trip. People still anchor but not like they did years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27FuozgxxMI

Mac
Posted By: Sprung & Rusty

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 07/18/21 01:11 PM

Was his name Furd Turgeson? Lol

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 07/19/21 10:25 AM

Mac thanks for posting that video. I know where that is and was actually out there watching them dive that place the day they filmed it.

Brian
Posted By: ILcooner

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 07/19/21 11:32 AM

nice haul. Those walleye get a lot of baits tossed at them. I know that area...been to GB a few times.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/09/21 02:17 AM

[Linked Image]

This is two mornings of spending some time outdoors. Figured I would since the fur market is down. I found close to five hundred all together this year.
Posted By: Scout1

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/09/21 03:47 AM

Going to say fire tiger is a popular color?

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 11/09/21 11:17 AM

Yes, and people fish a lot of Berkley Flicker Shads.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/17/22 05:00 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It took some effort but I picked this one up today. I have know about it since June but I needed some special equipment to get it. Today was the day. For those of you who fish: https://leelures.com/products/flaptail

Have a good one.
Posted By: BernieB.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/17/22 05:25 PM

Very cool! I thought I was going to cash a big paycheck in a walleye tournament out of green bay in 2000. I found some good fish in the Fox River not far below the Depere dam, and I was in 19th place out of 250 boats after the first day. A cold front came through on day 2 and moved the fish deeper and I dropped into something like 38th place but still won about $2000 if I remember correctly. First place paid $400,000.

Fun place to fish.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/17/22 11:47 PM

Some real Nice finds

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/17/22 11:48 PM

Way to go.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/18/22 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by BernieB.
Very cool! I thought I was going to cash a big paycheck in a walleye tournament out of green bay in 2000. I found some good fish in the Fox River not far below the Depere dam, and I was in 19th place out of 250 boats after the first day. A cold front came through on day 2 and moved the fish deeper and I dropped into something like 38th place but still won about $2000 if I remember correctly. First place paid $400,000.

Fun place to fish.

That is awesome. Fun to make some money while doing something you enjoy. A friend of mine is a guide who also does several walleye tour events. He ends up buying a lot of what I find.
Posted By: micheal

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/18/22 12:40 PM

Nice find
Posted By: Northof50

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/18/22 01:40 PM

The bottom right lure is or was the go-to lure for ice fishing on Lake Winnipeg
Posted By: Mark K

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/18/22 05:15 PM

I was down at the river one day and kept getting snags. I knew there were no rocks there so I went home and got into some grubby clothes and went in. The snag was a sunken tree about 10 inches at the root ball. It was covered in lures. I pulled it as close to shore as I could and was out in the water pulling lures off of it when some dirtbag walks up and starts to try to pull stuff off. Since most of it was in the water, and it was just below neutral buoyancy, I was able to pull it out of his reach and cuss him out.He tried to hand me some sort of BS excuse, but wisely left before he got more than a rusted out jig.
Posted By: Hydropillar

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/18/22 10:27 PM

Bed springs the best.... you shouldnt be fishin my hole anyways
Posted By: Ohio Wolverine

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/18/22 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Buck (Zandra)

Who even thinks of doing that?Wow!

I remember years ago when the salmon run was a big thing on the Muskingum River in Michigan , below the Tippy dam , someone did that at a boat launch .
It was on the south side of the river below the Saw dust pile hole .
Posted By: BigBob

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 01/18/22 11:04 PM

LOL, haven't bought a bobber since I was 12, 60 some years!

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/04/22 11:14 AM

[Linked Image]

This is a normal find in an hour after work.
Posted By: USMC47 🦫

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/04/22 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by HobbieTrapper
Those look like first or second cast hangers. I would put a trail cam on the opposite bank and get some footage of people losing their minds. lol

Lol.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/04/22 12:41 PM

[Linked Image]

Nice

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 03/04/22 03:05 PM

[Linked Image]

What A pile

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 09/16/23 09:55 AM

[Linked Image]

It has been awhile since I have posted to this link too. The lures you see here are about half of what I found in August. I have been working on a book which explains how I find them. The book has taken me almost two years to write but it is almost done. I am waiting for the artist to finish the cover. I go down to a local river about twice a week and it is pretty rare not to come back with $30 or $40 of lures.
Posted By: jalstat

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 09/16/23 10:10 AM

[Linked Image]
A few
Posted By: BTLowry

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 09/16/23 11:46 AM

You could start a business reselling lures laugh

Nice finds

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 09/16/23 02:38 PM

I actually do resell them. I clean them up and replace the hooks. I sell most of them for $5.00 which is a really good deal.
Posted By: Mando

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 09/16/23 02:53 PM

Stop telling people. You'll soon have company. Lol

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 12/04/23 11:10 PM

[Linked Image]

I found these on Dec. 2, 2023 in Titletown, USA. Air temp 32.
Posted By: ceelmo.trap

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 12/05/23 12:19 AM

Get on you tube watch the videos of Ed the diver see all the stuff he plucks from the water.

Re: Walking the river banks - lures - 12/05/23 01:07 AM

I know Ed. We are getting together in several weeks to do YouTube short.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums