Home

parsnips?

Posted By: il.trapper

parsnips? - 11/29/20 05:56 PM

what they taste like? What ya use them for? How ya cook them? LOL

I have never eaten one in my life. Only used them for Mrat bait. LOL Was setting some floats yesterday and got to thinking they look a lot like turnips inside. Thought I would try one or two if I can find how to cook them.
Posted By: warrior

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 06:01 PM

Like a really sweet carrot. Cook them any way you might cook a carrot.
Posted By: KeithC

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by il.trapper
what they taste like? What ya use them for? How ya cook them? LOL

I have never eaten one in my life. Only used them for Mrat bait. LOL Was setting some floats yesterday and got to thinking they look a lot like turnips inside. Thought I would try one or two if I can find how to cook them.

Parsnips taste good. They taste a little sweeter than a carrot with a little stronger, spicier flavor. You can cook them the same ways as carrots.

Keith
Posted By: il.trapper

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 06:06 PM

weeeelllll....that is fine....except the only way I eat carrots is raw. LOL

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 06:11 PM

You can do that as well though parsnips are a little bit softer and coarser than carrots and the spiciness is more pronounced raw vs cooked. Think raw turnip vs cooked turnip.

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 06:12 PM

If you like carrots you'll like parsnips.
Posted By: bctomcat

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 06:13 PM

Cut them in round slices like carrots amnd fry them in butter. Hard to explain their taste but they are great fried in butter.
Posted By: wildflights

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 07:52 PM

I put them in my elk stew. They blend in with the potatoes adding a bit of sweetness.
Posted By: ~ADC~

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by bctomcat
Cut them in round slices like carrots amnd fry them in butter. Hard to explain their taste but they are great fried in butter.

Yep, peal them & fry them brown, just like fried potatoes. Good stuff! I use a little peanut oil with the butter so the butter doesn't burn. Don't forget the salt and pepper.
Posted By: Bruce T

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 08:41 PM

Parsnips are good.
Posted By: james dymond

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 08:48 PM

Parsnips are dug in the spring after being froze in the winter and are real good and sweet. They are sweet and firm, carrots are mushy if they are dug in the spring.
Posted By: danvee

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 09:18 PM

Love them baked and nice spring addition to the garden
Posted By: Miley

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 09:20 PM

They go great in stew- pot roast!
Posted By: coonlove

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 10:02 PM

No stew or meat pie is complete without parsnips. As already mentioned, they are best after a frost or mulched and dug during winter. My dad who grew up during the depression took parsnip sandwiched to school. He wasn't so keen on them afterwards.
Posted By: Turtledale

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Miley
They go great in stew- pot roast!

X2.
Posted By: GREENCOUNTYPETE

Re: parsnips? - 11/29/20 11:35 PM

you should try carrots , potatoes , turnips , and parsnips cut them all about the same size pieces and put them in a big cast iron skillet toss it all with oil salt and pepper roast about 35-40 minutes at 400.

you peel them like a carrot , they are like a sweet spiced carrot sort of

Wild parsnip and cultivated parsnip are basically the same thing , either one will burn you in the 2nd year of growth but only the parts above ground and it is a reaction between the pant juices and the sun. if you dig them in the dark then shower you are not at risk.
© 2024 Trapperman Forums